do you guys think adelman will coach the knicks next year?

F

Fillmoe

If LB is out I think Adelman has the best chance to be the Knicks new coach. What do you guys think?

I think Adelman will coach the Knicks next year because he is simply the best professional coach available. Duh. New York, and an infinite salary budget, may actually be better than a pleasant retirement in Portland, Oregon.

Adelman said he will coach only if it will be "special situation". Well, in some sense Knicks' situation is really something special but I don't think it's that special. :p Another reason against is that once again Rick will have no-D, not much O roster.
The only reason for is many green notes though it may easily outweigh all others. :D

Adelman wouldn't do much better than Brown. At this point, Adelman is a much better coach, but the Knicks as they are now could only bring pain. Why bring that on yourself?
(Then again, maybe the team will pay you to go away after a few years. Not a bad deal.)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Adelman has already made it pretty clear that he doesn't want to leave Sacramento until his son, who is going to enter his senior year, graduates. I see no reason to believe he'll change his mind, especially to go to New York.

Besides, the information coming out is that Isiah will take the reins himself...

Yeah he was very clear. After his son graduates next year, the family is moving back to portland. Then we will consider options after sitting down and talking to his family. He's not very fond of the east coast. He said it would pretty tough for him to see himself coaching anywhere east of the Rockies.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Why would a guy that is no doubt set for life, risk is profesional reputation by taking over that mess? Sorry I just don't see it. I would guess baring an offer from a realy good team. Rick will sit at home a while and wait for the right phone call. In addition Rick has also made clear he does not really like the East Coast so again baring the call from the right situation... I just don't see it.
The East coast team that ought to be taking a long hard look at Rick is Philly, heck the smart thing for the owners to do there would be to see if they can get Rick AND Petrie!

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
NO! I don't see it either. If Rick was going to be coaxed away from the West Coast, I don't see it being the mess in NY.

No. If LB is gone Isaiah will take over:
-it's much much cheaper. Knicks have to spend 40 mil to buy out Brown, Isaih is already on the payroll. Adding coaching responsibilities would probably be a lot cheaper than getting RA
-it's already been stated that Isaiah is the one, the last thing they need is more instability
-RA just got out of a bad management situation, and NY is not exactly a place to find a comfy stable home. Doesn't make sense for either side. Also, Rick has a history in small towns- Portland, GS, Sac.

Really doesn't make sense for either side.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
VF21 said:
Besides, the information coming out is that Isiah will take the reins himself...
If this is true then after next year its likely we'll never see or hear from him again. I'll miss the comic relief so long as nobody sees fit to give him a commentating position ever again.

Isiah coaching---At least he can't do worse than what he did this season. Adelman will not take the NY job--he is not stupid enough to and no one is.

It can definitely get worse if Isiah is coaching the Knicks. He destroyed the CBA, the Raptors, and was terrible with three years of very good Pacers teams. Isiah is like the opposite of King Midas -- everything he touches turns to ****.

HndsmCelt said:
Why would a guy that is no doubt set for life, risk is profesional reputation by taking over that mess? Sorry I just don't see it. I would guess baring an offer from a realy good team. Rick will sit at home a while and wait for the right phone call. In addition Rick has also made clear he does not really like the East Coast so again baring the call from the right situation... I just don't see it.
The East coast team that ought to be taking a long hard look at Rick is Philly, heck the smart thing for the owners to do there would be to see if they can get Rick AND Petrie!
Because maybe they'd buy him out after 1 year and he'd get more money for that 1 year than his entire career before that combined. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's not just about the money for Adelman. He is very strongly family-oriented. He and his wife both have said they want to stay in Sacramento so their son can graduate next year. There might be temptation if the offer was coming from Portland, where he has significant family. But New York? It would make no sense and it would be totally out of character for Adelman.

BMiller52 said:
I hope not, I don't wish any pain on Rick.
neither do i.

of course, it would be great to see him go to new york and make them a winner again, and i believe he could. the defensive talent isn't there, but there is some offensive talent, and adelman is great at working with offensive talent. obviously, only a few of the pieces are there, and at least one major piece needs to be moved (starbury), but not all is lost in NY. if larry brown sticks around, it very well could be...but with a more adaptable coach, i could see new york turning it around.

if larry brown cant coach that group. Rick wouldnt get 10 wins out of them. He may be good with personalities... but when ur a pushover like rick... and u have so many demands of ur players egos... that is chaos. I Thomas is going to coach them anyway

SacKings4Life21 said:
if larry brown cant coach that group. Rick wouldnt get 10 wins out of them. He may be good with personalities... but when ur a pushover like rick... and u have so many demands of ur players egos... that is chaos. I Thomas is going to coach them anyway
If you don't alienate your players they play like they care - Rick would easily have 30+ wins with that roster. Playoff hopes? Not so much. But not a total embarrassment either.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
SacKings4Life21 said:
You just don't get it, being a "pushover" -- in other words not being some dip**** wannabe high school dictator -- and treating the grown men you are coaching like grown men, is ABSOLUTELY the right way to coach many many players. The lost little kiddies, the wimps, the emotionless flatliners, yeah, maybe a yeller + screamer is the way to get to them. The headstrong guys, guys with egos, pride (well placed or misplaced), scream at them and they appropriately say "**** you". I know. I'm one of them.

Rick would have gotten at LEAST 10 more wins out of the Knicks just by not being an *******. He might have gotten 15 more wins out of them in fact if there is anything in Starbury that is actually reachable. Along the way he would have taken the pressure off, adpated to his personnel rather than bitching about what he did not have, not bashed them to the media, and finished up the season with an actual team, rather than a bickering group of children, with child #1 wearing the suit. Its odd how conducting yourself like an adult and trusting your players to do the same will often help them rise to the occasion and act that way.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
loopymitch said:
Isiah Thomas created this mess of a team, it's only right he should try to coach them.
And if/when he fails, he's mercifully gone altogether.

Thing is, Zeke is a bad coach, heck pretty much a bad everything except for schmoozer, but I wil absolutely guarantee you he will get better results Larry Brown did -- heck, so could I. So its possible as the Knicks rebound a bit back up to mere badness, that Zeke is going to buy himself two more years here before the axe falls just by being able to point to an improvement over the chaos of this season. Heck, he might even establish an actual starting lineup, although I have my doubts -- as I recall he was pathetic about that himself in his Inidana days.

Bricklayer said:
The headstrong guys, guys with egos, pride (well placed or misplaced), scream at them and they appropriately say "**** you". I know. I'm one of them.
:eek:

It might be nice to warn someone before dropping a bomb like that one. The shock very nearly knocked me right out of my seat.

:p

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
And if/when he fails, he's mercifully gone altogether.

Thing is, Zeke is a bad coach, heck pretty much a bad everything except for schmoozer, but I wil absolutely guarantee you he will get better results Larry Brown did -- heck, so could I. So its possible as the Knicks rebound a bit back up to mere badness, that Zeke is going to buy himself two more years here before the axe falls just by being able to point to an improvement over the chaos of this season. Heck, he might even establish an actual starting lineup, although I have my doubts -- as I recall he was pathetic about that himself in his Inidana days.
You may be on to something. Zeke MAY be bright enough to pull off a rebound and out on this one. Coach the early season win a few games, grab some attention then bring in a new coach so eh can resume his GM duties with a new contract and when the wheels fall off again he can blame the new coach.

HndsmCelt said:
I completly agree...Adelman and Carill would maximize Webber and bring life to the underachieving franchise that is the Sixers.

Bricklayer said:
You just don't get it, being a "pushover" -- in other words not being some dip**** wannabe high school dictator -- and treating the grown men you are coaching like grown men, is ABSOLUTELY the right way to coach many many players. The lost little kiddies, the wimps, the emotionless flatliners, yeah, maybe a yeller + screamer is the way to get to them. The headstrong guys, guys with egos, pride (well placed or misplaced), scream at them and they appropriately say "**** you". I know. I'm one of them.

Rick would have gotten at LEAST 10 more wins out of the Knicks just by not being an *******. He might have gotten 15 more wins out of them in fact if there is anything in Starbury that is actually reachable. Along the way he would have taken the pressure off, adpated to his personnel rather than bitching about what he did not have, not bashed them to the media, and finished up the season with an actual team, rather than a bickering group of children, with child #1 wearing the suit. Its odd how conducting yourself like an adult and trusting your players to do the same will often help them rise to the occasion and act that way.

Yea....there is this tendency for people to assume that only hard-nosed, overbearing coaches like Brown can win in the NBA. There probably couldn't be anything further from the truth. The NBA is not made up of bright-eyed high schoolers who can be yelled at like in the movies. These are professional, paid players with huge egos and lots of pride. It is nearly impossible to coach them by trying to impose one's will on them.

Take Phil Jackson for example...while he may have had his shortcomings, his calm demeanor and "one of the guys" attitude helped him control some of the most dominant personalities the game has ever seen (like Shaq, Kobe, and Michael Jordan). By appealing to his players on their level, instead of acting like their superiors, Phil was able to command respect from even the wildest of characters (see Dennis Rodman).

Of course, Phil may be an extreme case, but even coaches who have a reputation for being tough like Gregg Popovich still treat their players with respect and are loved for it. Pop is known to be one of the funniest men in the NBA of the court, which helps him reach the balance between discipline and amiability. He may be hard on Parker and Ginobli, but that almost fatherly criticism has never reached the point of ridicule or anything disrespectul.

On the other hand, Larry Brown - for all his ability to improve bad teams - has isolated and ostracized himself from his players, causing problems pretty much everywhere he goes. Worse, he has publicly criticized his own players over the years instead of accepting the burden of failure. That sort of attitude doesn't win games - it breaks teams apart.