defense.

as just seen on abc, the kings played well on both ends of the court. and most importantly, we played overall good defense!

Wow, its soo weird being excited about this team playing good defense. It just doesn't happen much :D.. Once thing I noticed, that the announcers pointed out, is that Peja needs to play better team defense. He wasn't rotating, and thus leaving a wide open piston. He's got to get better at "team" defense.

That stat kind of gives a distorted view. When your opponent is shooting .391, vs your .491, while roughly having taken the same amount of shots, you're statistically supposed to outrebound the opponent.

In other words, the total rebound stat in itself may not always tell the whole picture.

A better gauge would be the offensive rebounds. We still got trounced there: 17-11 to the Pistons.

Kajun said:
That stat kind of gives a distorted view. When your opponent is shooting .391, vs your .491, while roughly having taken the same amount of shots, you're supposed to outrebound the opponent.

In other words, the total rebound stat in itself may not always tell the whole picture.

A better gauge would be the offensive rebounds. We still got trounced there: 17-11 to the Pistons.

Some one always has to say something negative. Detroit is one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the league and we have been one of the worst, yet we still outrebounded them on both sides, I'll take it and the W.

bigbadred00 said:
Detroit was tired, but i'll take a win over the title winners any day.
No excuses both Teams have been on the road.The pistons cannot beat the kings if the refs allow the game to be called properly and it wasn't the good whistles it was the kings are better in my opinion.

bigbadred00 said:
Some one always has to say something negative. Detroit is one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the league and we have been one of the worst, yet we still outrebounded them on both sides, I'll take it and the W.
Uh, nothing negative there, it's a fact. And, I just pointed out they outrebounded us as far as offensive rebounds go.

Look, I'm just as happy as any guy (EDIT: and as any gal, don't want to step on some people's toes again ;)) here with the win, but I just wanted to point out that some shouldn't jump the gun 'Wow, we outrebounded them. We must have gotten much better'.

If you're taking that as negative, whatever, what I said was just a logical conclusion.

Last edited:
Insomniacal Fan said:
I think the difference today was energy, we had it, Detroit didn't. Wasn't this the last game in their road trip?
Yep, it was.

Gotta give credit for the Kings though... they did what they had to do to win. No practice even though they came home early Saturday morning. Yet, they still kept control of the game!

If Pistons are tired...that's too bad for them. :D It's not like Kings never have long roadtrips too.

Noone cared when the Kings were tired, 9 road games in 10 games. No mercy, something the Kings haven't done all year, keep a lead. I was worried for a while but we kept a lead for once :).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kajun said:
That stat kind of gives a distorted view. When your opponent is shooting .391, vs your .491, while roughly having taken the same amount of shots, you're statistically supposed to outrebound the opponent.

You know the ONLY numbers that matter?

KINGS 100
Pistons 85

The rest is just details.

We're going to have more performances like this. Kenny Thomas is quicker than Webber, which means he'll be getting back in transition better and he'll be quicker in his defensive rotations. Brian Skinner is the type of smart and active defensive-minded big man that we've been wishing for the past few years. We've got some guys on this team who are playing with something to prove, that'll always give you more energy.

shaka zulu said:
No excuses both Teams have been on the road.The pistons cannot beat the kings if the refs allow the game to be called properly and it wasn't the good whistles it was the kings are better in my opinion.
I hate to be the negative guy after a great win. But what was evident to me during this game is that if the Kings and Pistons played a seven game series, the Kings would be lucky to win twice. It took a complete MAXIMUM effort for the Kings and a horrible start to the Pistons to win this game. I mean really, how often are SO MANY of our guys on top of their games? So no, at this point i do not think the Kings are better than the Pistons. But we really have so much more room to grow even until the playoffs that the Kings' ending product MAY BE just as good as anyone in the league.

Detroit was tired

oh please, and we were without Brad and Cat...our two starters, while the pisstons had everybody available for them. Pistons get away with a lot of stuff on D, just like the Spurs. That last second shot by Kenny Thomas at the end of the game should've been a bucket and 1

thashyt said:
I hate to be the negative guy after a great win. But what was evident to me during this game is that if the Kings and Pistons played a seven game series, the Kings would be lucky to win twice. It took a complete MAXIMUM effort for the Kings and a horrible start to the Pistons to win this game. I mean really, how often are SO MANY of our guys on top of their games? So no, at this point i do not think the Kings are better than the Pistons. But we really have so much more room to grow even until the playoffs that the Kings' ending product MAY BE just as good as anyone in the league.
If we didn't have two starters an our 6th man out I might agree with you... but we do, so I don't.

thashyt, that's why we've beaten the pistons 8 straight times at home no matter who is playing on both sides. if we had HCA they would be in trouble. pistons haven't played well in arco for years. they haven't played us well period. maybe they would beat us but we've always played them well and they don't matchup well with us, so it has seemed over the last 3 years when we've won 6 of 7.

It took a complete MAXIMUM effort for the Kings and a horrible start to the Pistons to win this game.
I strongly disagree, we had two of our starters out with an injury...we were severly shorthanded. But yeah, a slow start by the Pistons helped us a lot though.

The one thing I found most exciting was the kings talking to each other about defensive assignments and the rotations were good tonight. there were some points tonight where it would have been nice to have a 7 footer because of the long arms of rasheed.

I think the kings will really improve on the defensive end of the court. It is nice to see some players actually fouling guys hard.

Great win tonight and it all started with the D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kajun said:
No, really? :rolleyes:
Oh, good. I just love two word sarcastic responses WITH the rolling eyeballs.

Dude, in case you haven't noticed BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T BEEN AROUND, this board and this team has been in turmoil. You did hear about the trade, right?

The ONLY thing that was really important about the game today was a win. It got the fans looking forward instead of back, it got the team AND the crowd at Arco together AND it was a nationally televised game. That is big, whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

We cannot gauge our team by today's performance in the long run. The point is WE WON a game we desperately needed to win.

:rolleyes:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
bigbadred00 said:
thashyt, that's why we've beaten the pistons 8 straight times at home no matter who is playing on both sides. if we had HCA they would be in trouble. pistons haven't played well in arco for years. they haven't played us well period. maybe they would beat us but we've always played them well and they don't matchup well with us, so it has seemed over the last 3 years when we've won 6 of 7.
Your right it is a bad matchup. Thats why last season I was beating myself in the head b/c I knew the Pistons could beat LA, and they killed them. I also knew that if the Kings were playing the Pistons in the finals we would have had a championship. :(

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Diehard Jim said:
The one thing I found most exciting was the kings talking to each other about defensive assignments and the rotations were good tonight.
You just reminded me - I actually saw Kenny Thomas talking to Peja, and pointing at the court. Peja nodded, and the next time the Pistons had the ball Peja had shifted his defense a little.

In all honesty, to me the best thing about today's game was ARCO THUNDER. The crowd made our new guys welcome and they showed them what it's like to play for the best fans in the NBA!

:D

VF21 said:
In all honesty, to me the best thing about today's game was ARCO THUNDER. The crowd made our new guys welcome and they showed them what it's like to play for the best fans in the NBA!

:D
I agree ... is it me or is this the loudest that the arena had gotten this season ?

VF21 said:
Oh, good. I just love two word sarcastic responses WITH the rolling eyeballs.

Dude, in case you haven't noticed BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T BEEN AROUND, this board and this team has been in turmoil. You did hear about the trade, right?

The ONLY thing that was really important about the game today was a win. It got the fans looking forward instead of back, it got the team AND the crowd at Arco together AND it was a nationally televised game. That is big, whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

We cannot gauge our team by today's performance in the long run. The point is WE WON a game we desperately needed to win.

:rolleyes:
You tell me where I denied it was a big win? Where I said the win meant totally nothing?

I was being sarcastic, because I feel you guys overreact. I state something logical, as a response to the other poster, and the next thing I am being touted as overly negative, and what else. I didn't bash any player, didn't say it was because Detroit was lucky, did not bring any annoying Webber/Peja debate..

It may be my lack of posts, it may be 'general negativity amongst the relative new fans', but please...don't be so quick to make judgements. I've been around for awhile, but I've never really posted that much.

I may not be the biggest fan. Certainly am not the longest fan either. But hey, I care enough to stay up at night to 5 a.m. sometimes to follow the Kings' scores. Since I'm from Europe. I also care enough to happy when they win.

For some reason, I've always felt I had some threshold before posting here, and now's it not any different I guess. I'll stick to lurking again.