D.Williams is a terrible teammate.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
A lot of assumptions being made here, does anyone actually know how he commits himself to his work, or are we basing it all on this dancing incident.
I base the poor work ethic off looking worse now than he did in college. I can't think of a single aspect to his game he's improved on in four years time. If anything, he's regressed.

But I'm also not speaking for others and how they judge it.

Looking back at it, it seemed that he mentally checked out as soon as the Rudy Gay trade happened. It was almost as if in his own mind, he said to himself at that point,...there goes my chance
I never liked the trade, he makes too much money to gamble on. Moute is one of the best role players per dollar around, if he is healthy that is. I could have understood it more if Williams was just a 2-3 million contract though.

I never liked the trade, he makes too much money to gamble on. Moute is one of the best role players per dollar around, if he is healthy that is. I could have understood it more if Williams was just a 2-3 million contract though.
Would have been nice to have Moute as our role defensive stopper. He's also a very good team culture guy.

It's odd that they say that Rudy was their guy from the beginning, yet they trade for Williams a couple weeks before the Gay trade?

Would have been nice to have Moute as our role defensive stopper. He's also a very good team culture guy.

It's odd that they say that Rudy was their guy from the beginning, yet they trade for Williams a couple weeks before the Gay trade?
They must have envisioned him as a stretch 4, but only spot shooting stretch not Anderson 2.0.....with the option to use his elite athleticism to cut to the basket, or to be used off the bench at the 3. When you have Outlaw/Salmons and company around and you see Williams athletic ability, well even though neither of us would make that move, it could tempt others.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Contingency in case the Rudy trade didn't happen.

Before we got Rudy, DWill was playing fine as the starting 3. Obviously his head got jacked up when he was demoted. I don't think the swap for Mbam's knees was a bad one except in 20-20 hindsight post Rudy trade.

Ahhhhhh! DWill can go suck on a box of rocks now, for all I care -
he quite clearly can play, if he wants to.
Like when he's on a nationally televised game.

What a complete arrogant jerk - he apparently thinks that his past year of sucking and not playing hard for the Kings will mean nothing if he just "turns it on" a few times and gets traded somewhere (where?!) that will feature him as a starter.

What a complete arrogant jerk - he apparently thinks that his past year of sucking and not playing hard for the Kings will mean nothing if he just "turns it on" a few times and gets traded somewhere (where?!) that will feature him as a starter.
That is the plan, yes.

That is the plan, yes.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Great he played well on national tv so that maybe another team who saw him might think.....if we gave him steady minutes maybe he will turn it around here. Haha.

A lot of assumptions being made here, does anyone actually know how he commits himself to his work, or are we basing it all on this dancing incident.
I know him personally and this entire thread is ridiculous. Some of it is inflammatory drivel that you would never say to a person's face.

FWIW, I was near the Bulls bench and Derrick Rose looked like he was sleeping at times. Terrible teammate?

I digress.
RE: Derrick
He came into camp in the best shape of his life and from what I could see, a vastly improved jumper both off the dribble and from range.

Why haven't we seen the results of this?

1) Gay and Casspi are ahead of him in the rotation and Derrick has averaged 7.6 minutes a game. I'd rather Casspi play over Williams, I think Casspi does more for his team.
2) He's played 60 total minutes this season.
3) He's 7 of 20 from the field, 7 of 12 from the line, 0 of 4 from 3. Not really the volume to be displaying an improved skill-set.
4) His defense actually improved this year, albeit slightly. He did well sticking to Dunleavy/Mirotic yesterday.
5) He'd average 16 and 7 on the Sixers. He'll be in the NBA on a team next year, whether it be Kings or not.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
This will probably be the best we see out of Williams in a few months, take it all in for the day and then hope he can boost his trade value somehow.

Ahhhhhh! DWill can go suck on a box of rocks now, for all I care -
he quite clearly can play, if he wants to.
Like when he's on a nationally televised game.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but I was actually thinking that the reason he got so much playing time was that the Kings wanted everyone to see his potential on national television. He did play pretty well, too.

D-Will is just another player in a long line of players who were drafted high and thought he had "WON". However being drafted is only the beginning. Williams never got that. So his work ethic and subsequent lack of improvement shows that he is not dedicated to the game. He has shown that he has no drive to improve. Therefore he is merely a contract to trade or let expire.

D-Will is just another player in a long line of players who were drafted high and thought he had "WON". However being drafted is only the beginning. Williams never got that. So his work ethic and subsequent lack of improvement shows that he is not dedicated to the game. He has shown that he has no drive to improve. Therefore he is merely a contract to trade or let expire.
You know this based on what? These are just asinine assumptions.

Every time I see him on the bench he looks like he's having a good time. Cheering and reacting with his teammates. I don't see a guy pouting or making stupid comments to the media. Just because someone can't improve their game, doesn't mean that they aren't trying. Williams just might not have the talent. He almost shot 60% from 3 his last year in college. You think he's so cocky that he just doesn't care about his shots going in now because he's "Won" in life?

You know this based on what? These are just asinine assumptions.

Every time I see him on the bench he looks like he's having a good time. Cheering and reacting with his teammates. I don't see a guy pouting or making stupid comments to the media. Just because someone can't improve their game, doesn't mean that they aren't trying. Williams just might not have the talent. He almost shot 60% from 3 his last year in college. You think he's so cocky that he just doesn't care about his shots going in now because he's "Won" in life?
I respectfully disagree. He has already been jettisoned by one team the T-Wolves, who at the time desperately needed a good small forward. But traded him away after drafting Him 2nd overall in less that 2 years time. That says a LOT about what the T-Wolves thought about him. They gave up on him FAST. I thought it was a very peculiar trade and a gamble at the time. He has not proven he can be a consistent NBA player and this is his 4th year. Those are FACTS not ASSUMPTIONS.

If he is traded again, the jury will no longer be out on Williams. He is either lacking in work ethic, attitude, or talent. Doesn't really matter if it is one of those things or a combination of all three. He simply has not cut it in the NBA and he is going to run out of chances very soon. I could CARE LESS if he is having a " Good Time" on the bench. I think the fans would prefer he perform on the court and act professionally on the bench. Many high draft picks have gotten their money and failed as NBA players. He has not improved and his attitude on the bench does not project a professional attitude. His work ethic CAN be called into question because he has not improved his game in any area. If he CARES so much, he could play better defense. Defense is about hustle, not as much about talent. But his defense has not improved either.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
ONE good game does not cancel out a plethora of abject mediocrity. It isn't that he finally showed what he's capable of last night. It's that he hasn't shown what he's capable of so many different times. Looking like he's having a good time on the bench doesn't mean he's of any value to the team. Donte Greene always had a good time, too.

We need players who are seriously working hard every minute they're on the court. Not players whose performance depends upon an unknown set of variables.

If he CARES so much, he could play better defense. Defense is about hustle, not as much about talent. But his defense has not improved either.
This is what I don't get about DWill's attitude. He does not care much about playing defense. It has been as if he is thinking that he is too good offensively (like James Harden) that he does not need to waste much effort defending. I think he's got all the athleticism to become a nightmare for anyone he is guarding or just do his best effort and hustle/stick like a glue to his man. Sad to say, he refused to do that even if his career is in jeopardy now. If only he can copy what McLemore is doing right now he can easily turn the tide. And maybe he can also win some fans back and believe in him again - just like McLemore has done this season.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. He has already been jettisoned by one team the T-Wolves, who at the time desperately needed a good small forward. But traded him away after drafting Him 2nd overall in less that 2 years time. That says a LOT about what the T-Wolves thought about him. They gave up on him FAST. I thought it was a very peculiar trade and a gamble at the time. He has not proven he can be a consistent NBA player and this is his 4th year. Those are FACTS not ASSUMPTIONS.

If he is traded again, the jury will no longer be out on Williams. He is either lacking in work ethic, attitude, or talent. Doesn't really matter if it is one of those things or a combination of all three. He simply has not cut it in the NBA and he is going to run out of chances very soon. I could CARE LESS if he is having a " Good Time" on the bench. I think the fans would prefer he perform on the court and act professionally on the bench. Many high draft picks have gotten their money and failed as NBA players. He has not improved and his attitude on the bench does not project a professional attitude. His work ethic CAN be called into question because he has not improved his game in any area. If he CARES so much, he could play better defense. Defense is about hustle, not as much about talent. But his defense has not improved either.
We've given up on lottery picks fast as well. There's two reasons you give up on a player and that's if they don't have the talent or if they have a bad attitude. We have zero proof of him not caring or having a bad attitude. That's all just hearsay because you THINK he's supposed to be better than he is and if he isn't meeting your expectations, then he must be lazy and just not care.

D-Will made a career out of one good year in college. He shot almost 60% from the field and beyond the arc. He never did it before that year and he's never been able to duplicate it after either. He's a simple case of an athletic guy with marginal talent that just got hot one year and built a career out of it. You think he's like "You know what, I don't care if my shot goes in or not. Sure I can shoot like Steve Kerr if I wanted to...but I just don't feel like shooting that well anymore"? Come on, get real here. He's a streaky player who can either give you nothing or look like a starting SF in the league. Kind of like JT was before he all the sudden became a good defender 7 years into his career.

I think its weird the day I start this thread D Will starts to have his head into the game. Finished the game with the starters today. Hope he doesn't fall off again.