Current Kings roster and holes to fill

Actually, that does ring a bell. I guess the team could always just cut him, but for now I think you're right and he is under contract on a two-way.

So the situation appears to be:

12 players signed to guaranteed deals:
C: Holmes, Whiteside
PF: Bagley, Bjelica, Parker
SF: Barnes, Jeffries
SG: Hield, Haliburton, James
PG: Fox, Joseph

1 player signed to a two-way deal:
Guy

-------------------------------------------

2 unsigned second-round draft picks:
Woodard
Ramsey

1 unguaranteed contract
Kaminsky

1 Exhibit 10 contract
Rose

1 camp invite
Metu

-------------------------------------------

That means right now we have five players competing for four slots (three NBA roster slots and a two-way slot). The leader for the two-way slot right now would appear to be Quinton Rose. The Exhibit 10 contract gives us the option to convert the deal to a two-way before the season starts. However, we've likely added an Exhibit 10 bonus which would allow us to cut him outright and give him up to a $50K bonus if he signs with our G-League team. This would allow us to "stash" him in Stockton without using a two-way, (but he would be liable to be poached by another team with a guaranteed NBA contract).

This flexibility is important because we will probably want control of three players, and we only have three roster slots. Kaminsky is likely to stick, and Woodard is likely to get an NBA deal, so that would bring us to 14 players. Ramsey would be the logical choice for the 15th player, but we might decide to go with Metu (or another future camp invite), or we might execute a trade that brings back an additional player, in which case we'd need to put Ramsey into the two-way slot, and Rose would likely be the one cut because we'd retain some measure of team control of him.

Needless to say, we don't have a lot of room to play around with, and it's not out of the question that future moves might necessitate us cutting a player to gain another NBA slot (Kaminsky, James, Parker most likely?) or a two-way slot (Guy).
Edwards?

I could see:

C: Whiteside, Holmes
PF: Bagley, Bjelly
SF: Barnes, GR III
SG: Hield, DQJ
PG: Fox, Haliburton

*If Bagley or Fox still show an inconsistent 3pt shot move Bjelly to starting PF.

Injury Reserves
C: Kaminsky
PF: Parker
SF: Woodard
SG: Ramsey
PG: Cojo

I doubt James can beat out Ramsey, so waive him and let Rose, Metu, or Edwards fight for two-way.

Still can't help but feel there is a trade in the works.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I could see:

C: Whiteside, Holmes
PF: Bagley, Bjelly
SF: Barnes, GR III
SG: Hield, DQJ
PG: Fox, Haliburton

*If Bagley or Fox still show an inconsistent 3pt shot move Bjelly to starting PF.

Injury Reserves
C: Kaminsky
PF: Parker
SF: Woodard
SG: Ramsey
PG: Cojo

I doubt James can beat out Ramsey, so waive him and let Rose, Metu, or Edwards fight for two-way.

Still can't help but feel there is a trade in the works.
Barnes needs to move up to PF, DQJ is not a SG, and I would guess that Woodard will get minutes at SF.

Barnes plays min at PF, but he's our starting SF. DQJ is 2/3 but there is Glen Robinson getting mins at SF.

Dude12 are you Luke?
If he was Luke he'd have Joseph starting at SG, Buddy at backup PG/SG, and have Barnes mostly at SF even though every metric last year indicated the team was best with him at PF. LOL.

It's going to be interesting to see what shakes out. There are combinations on this new roster that can really work in the modern NBA and others that might be really, really bad when it comes to athleticism and spacing.

dude12

Hall of Famer
How I see the lineup is not how you will see it or someone else will see it. Wings are interchangeable, bit I can see DQJ playing some 2.
If it’s just personal interpretation, what I’m hoping to see, different from yours is moving many of where you slotted some guys up a position. yeah, I get the positionless thing but I would be playing Barnes at PF mostly with DQJ, Woodard, Robinson handling the 3. I’d have Bagley playing minutes at the 5 and 4. Whiteside and Holmes split the remaining minutes at 5 pending matchups. Barnes slows this team down at the 3. I want this team to play fast and shoot 3’s unless Fox is driving. I’m taking Bjeli out of the lineup except for spot matchup minutes.

what I’m looking for is 1 more deal though involving either Barnes, Bjelica and or Holmes. I assume Cojo is stuck with us.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Hey @Capt. Factorial what are the rules on trading players recently signed to 1 year deals? What is the waiting time?
Typically, three months from the date of the signing, or December 15th, whichever is later. That date will obviously have to be changed for this season, but I don't know when the NBA will set it. It's actually possible with the abbreviated offseason that the 3 month rule will be shortened too. But I haven't actually heard about the changes to these rules, if any.

13 Guar contracts Yikes!!
Fox,Cojo
Buddy,Haliburton,James
Barnes,Robinson,Jeffries
Bagley,Beli,Parker
Holmes, Whiteside

I cant imagine monte not signing his two picks Ramsey and Woodard thats 15

If they cut James, then could add Kaminsky. Metu,Edwards,Rose compete for 2nd 2way spot

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 15 man roster is shaping up to be:

C Holmes/Whiteside/Kaminsky
PF Bagley/Bjelica/Parker
SF Barnes/Robinson III/Woodard
SG Hield/Jeffries/Ramsey
PG Fox/Haliburton/Joseph

The positions are a bit meaningless as Barnes & Woodard are more 3/4s and Haliburton and Ramsey are both combo guards in different ways.

But while I think Bagley's ultimate position needs to be center to maximize his value, it seems this FO sees him as a PF.

Whiteside is the backup C to protect the rim and clean the glass while Kaminsky is the backup to spread the floor.

Without a preseason trade I see James being waived and Guy/Metu/Rose/Edwards fighting for the 2 two-way contracts. I'm guessing it's the first two guys with the team trying to convince Rose & Edwards to stay in Stockton.

PF Bagley/Bjelica/Parker
SG Hield/Jeffries/Ramsey
PG Fox/Haliburton/Joseph

The positions are a bit meaningless as Barnes & Woodard are more 3/4s and Haliburton and Ramsey are both combo guards in different ways.

But while I think Bagley's ultimate position needs to be center to maximize his value, it seems this FO sees him as a PF.

Whiteside is the backup C to protect the rim and clean the glass while Kaminsky is the backup to spread the floor.

Without a preseason trade I see James being waived and Guy/Metu/Rose/Edwards fighting for the 2 two-way contracts. I'm guessing it's the first two guys with the team trying to convince Rose & Edwards to stay in Stockton.
I would think:
SG Hield,Haliburton,Jeffries
PG Fox,Cojo,Ramsey

Jeffries and Ramsey as 3rd string, Along with Frank,Woodard and Parker

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would think:
SG Hield,Haliburton,Jeffries
PG Fox,Cojo,Ramsey

Jeffries and Ramsey as 3rd string, Along with Frank,Woodard and Parker
Yeah, slotting guys into the five traditional positions doesn't make as much sense anymore.

In reality I think the main guard rotation will be Fox & Hield starting with Haliburton getting the bulk of the backup minutes. Any pair of those three should work well. DQJ will get spot minutes as a defensive/energy guy and I think they'll work Ramsey in where they can. He isn't a playmaker or great ballhandler so I think he'll pretty much always play alongside Fox or Haliburton. He may also see significant time in Stockton just to get the minutes.

I think we may see a lot more late 1st/2nd round rookies in the G-League this season just because of the long layoff and the desire to get guys playing time.

As much as I like Haliburton, I just dont see him taking Cojo's reserve role until he earns his minutes
I still think Cojo and Hali will split the reserve minutes at the PG,SG spots

Capt. Factorial

Staff member

PF Bagley/Bjelica/Parker
SG Hield/Jeffries/Ramsey
PG Fox/Haliburton/Joseph

It might be a bit premature to assume we're going to cut James. There's a decent chance that James would hold the "15th" roster spot and Ramsey would be on a two-way.

Also, there's the possibility of a trade coming before the season that could clear some roster space. I know James isn't necessarily McNair's guy, but with all these minimum contracts we're giving out we seem to be pinching pennies, so it's no guarantee we'd cut a guaranteed contract instead of an unguaranteed one (even Kaminsky!).

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
It might be a bit premature to assume we're going to cut James. There's a decent chance that James would hold the "15th" roster spot and Ramsey would be on a two-way.

Also, there's the possibility of a trade coming before the season that could clear some roster space. I know James isn't necessarily McNair's guy, but with all these minimum contracts we're giving out we seem to be pinching pennies, so it's no guarantee we'd cut a guaranteed contract instead of an unguaranteed one (even Kaminsky!).
Another argument for James is that he fits what appears to be McNair's preference for wings: long, athletic, good potential on D.

I think there will be a trade before the season.

Holmes and Bjelica have some value around the league, but i don't see them being re-signed with the Kings in the off-season, especially Nemanja.

Considering the current glut of bigs and 3/4 guys it would make since to trade him if there's a decent deal out there.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
As much as I like Haliburton, I just dont see him taking Cojo's reserve role until he earns his minutes
I still think Cojo and Hali will split the reserve minutes at the PG,SG spots
I think if the front office has any input to the coaching staff it would be that they'd rather see what they have in the young guys (and potentially showcase Buddy) rather than try to eke out a few more wins by playing the veterans.

Joseph isn't a long term piece. He's only partially guaranteed next season so he's essentially a $10M expiring contract. If he's not dealt at the deadline or next off-season the I think the Kings would definitely waive him.

The other issue is that Joseph's style of play isn't conducive to playing uptempo basketball. Things noticeably slowed down when he was in.

last year we played exactly one full game with what I believe will be our starting lineup. Fox, hield, Barnes, bagley, and Holmes. Our bench that night was only 3 deep with Ariza and Joseph getting a lot of time.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401161095
We were decimated before the pandemic hit. Injury after injury, so I’m praying for a healthier season. I’m interested to see our starters together

I think if the front office has any input to the coaching staff it would be that they'd rather see what they have in the young guys (and potentially showcase Buddy) rather than try to eke out a few more wins by playing the veterans.

Joseph isn't a long term piece. He's only partially guaranteed next season so he's essentially a $10M expiring contract. If he's not dealt at the deadline or next off-season the I think the Kings would definitely waive him.

The other issue is that Joseph's style of play isn't conducive to playing uptempo basketball. Things noticeably slowed down when he was in.
It depends on how well Haliburton does defensively. If he picks it up right away I see him getting more minutes.

My Prediction:
Sorta looks like biggest camp battle will be James vs Ramsey for 15th spot
Robinson,Kaminsky I feel with both stay past guarantee dates on roster
Two ways- I am thinking if James stays on Roster, Cut Guy, Ramsey and Metu on the two ways
I think James and Ramsey both better than Guy, Metu would be our long term big prospect
Rose and Edwards - maybe stockton

Capt. Factorial

Staff member

So now it appears that the NBA will have 15 players dress this season. I don't see any word on whether that means that rosters will expand, perhaps to 17, but if so then we may not have to cut anybody.

With no moves a 17-man roster would probably look something like:
Fox/Haliburton/CoJo
Buddy/James/Ramsey
Barnes/DQJ/GRIII/Woodard
Bagley/Bjelica/Parker
Whiteside/Holmes/Kaminsky/Metu

with Guy/Rose on two-way deals and Vince Edwards getting a pat on the back for coming to training camp and helping out.

So now it appears that the NBA will have 15 players dress this season. I don't see any word on whether that means that rosters will expand, perhaps to 17, but if so then we may not have to cut anybody.

Fox/Haliburton/CoJo
Buddy/James/Ramsey
Barnes/DQJ/GRIII/Woodard
Bagley/Bjelica/Parker

with Guy/Rose on two-way deals and Vince Edwards getting a pat on the back for coming to training camp and helping out.
I would think it would expand. If this is because of COVID-19 dressing two more doesn't really address the issue. Having a couple more available game to game in case of positives would/could help mitigate a outbreak on a team.

Fox/Haliburton/CoJo
Buddy/James/Ramsey
Barnes/DQJ/GRIII/Woodard
Bagley/Bjelica/Parker

With the recent player additions, the Kings have no obvious holes to fill.
They just need more talent. They need people that will put in the effort to play defense and rebound.

Last edited: