Could the Kings get involved in a Carmelo to NYK trade?

So,

There was a story about the rumour that the Knicks are offering up a first round pick, Eddy Curry, and Gallinari for Carmello Anthony.
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...cks_will_offer_gallinari_in_package_for_melo/

This deal seems terrible for the Nuggets, I wonder if the Kings could get involed to make this deal a little sweeter for the Nuggets.... Maybe the Nuggets get Landry and Gallinari and the Kings get some picks or something... The Nuggets are not in rebuild mode, they need to win now, that is why I think Landry would be more appealing to them than the picks.
Thoughts?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If the Knicks are not offering enough to the Nuggets in exchange for Anthony, why should we come in and sweeten the pot for them? The problem here isn't that the Knicks and Nuggets have a deal in principle that doesn't work under the CBA rules. The problem is not that the talent that the teams want to trade doesn't "match up". In both of those cases, it sometimes makes sense to bring in a third team. But the problem here is that the Knicks are woefully underbidding. That means we'd have to cough up value to get the trade done, and we would then be the losers in the deal. How about "No thanks"? Does "No thanks" work?

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
worst trade of all time..why the hell would trade Landry for Affalo?
Actually, I like Afflalo - he's shooting just one point under .400 for his career from three, and he could very well be the tenacious perimeter D Doug Christie type we're looking for to play alongside Tyreke. Plus, unlike Landry, he'll be a RFA after the year. I'd like a month or two to see how our frontcourt is shaking out, but if things go well with Cousins/Dalembert/Whiteside I might not be terribly opposed to Landry for Afflalo. The problem here is that this doesn't really change the facts from Denver's point of view. They're getting cheaped out, either proposal.

The Knicks already owe future firsts to Houston, and a team can't be without one in consecutive years, so with conditions and all how do you feel about getting a pick from them in 2020? Also, it's the last pick in the draft, because they finally succeeding in signing up their own All-Star team in 2018. :p

As for how good is it to the Nuggets - it's all about how much they're counting on Melo to resign.

I mean as it seems he ain't gonna - then they'de loose him for nothing... if they get the hint and understand Melo ain't staying - thats a great deal for them.. or they geniunly think they have a shot at the title this season and think it's better to keep Melo and loose him in the summer.

As a Knicks fan i'd rather keep our trading chips for CP3 maybe - and wait a year for a free Melo - if he really desided he comes...

Last edited:
So,

There was a story about the rumour that the Knicks are offering up a first round pick, Eddy Curry, and Gallinari for Carmello Anthony.
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...cks_will_offer_gallinari_in_package_for_melo/

This deal seems terrible for the Nuggets, I wonder if the Kings could get involed to make this deal a little sweeter for the Nuggets.... Maybe the Nuggets get Landry and Gallinari and the Kings get some picks or something... The Nuggets are not in rebuild mode, they need to win now, that is why I think Landry would be more appealing to them than the picks.
Thoughts?
Problem is they won't be winning anything if Anthony isn't there.

So,

Thoughts?
With Melo gone, Nuggets WOULD be in the rebuilding mode. Who would they build around if Melo is traded? No-one!

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
If I'm NY, I'm not offering anything. If Denver really wants to trade him before the trade deadline, the deals will get that much sweeter, given it's something, or absolutely nothing if he walks. I see him walking at the end of the year. Billups is getting old, KMart is old and has some serious knee problems, Nene I like, and thats about it. Carmelo is going to either NY or NJ as a FA. And I really do see TP joining him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I can't really add much to this discussion, other than if the Kings really wanted to get involved, then they should get involved in aquiring Melo in hope of resigning him. Since thats a very low probablilty, and I'm being kind with that apraisial, I think we should just proceed with what we have.

dam straight, we would have minimal hope of resigning him. Its pointless giving up what we have going here just to flirt with the possibility of landing our own superstar who really considering all we have wouldnt fit as well as you'd want him to

Although, Kings could eat the cards if they put up a playoff season.. could be a serious candidate for Melo as a free agent signing.

we already have a double/triple team magnet in reke.. and possibly cuz. we just need to surround them with solid if not spectacular role players. $$ will be tight when we have to resign our own guys. reke = max contract, cuz maybe max contract if he lives up to his billing then you have JT, whiteside, omri, donte and other players. if we drop what is melo asking.. 20+ mill a year? it's going to make resigning everybody more challenging. i guess you could go the miami route and sign 2-3 guys and fill w/ vet minimum guys.... (IF guys wanna come to the great city of sac)

Yeah, I don't really see any way for the Kings to get involved in a 'Melo to NYK trade where it would be to their benefit.

As far as Denver goes, if they end up having to trade 'Melo they still won't be in too horrible a position. They can surely find a team willing to trade them some assets for a good veteran PG in Billups, and then they can go ahead with rebuilding around the younger players. They already have a few decent young pieces, so if they get Gallinari from NY and a 1st rounder and/or young talent for Billups, they would be well on their way to rebuilding.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Actually, I like Afflalo - he's shooting just one point under .400 for his career from three, and he could very well be the tenacious perimeter D Doug Christie type we're looking for to play alongside Tyreke. Plus, unlike Landry, he'll be a RFA after the year. I'd like a month or two to see how our frontcourt is shaking out, but if things go well with Cousins/Dalembert/Whiteside I might not be terribly opposed to Landry for Afflalo. The problem here is that this doesn't really change the facts from Denver's point of view. They're getting cheaped out, either proposal.
Afflalo is just not that good. Pretty mediocre quickness and athleticism for the NBA. He gets everything he can out of what he has, but he doesn't have Christie type potential on the defensive end, and he's going to have trouble getting his own shot.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Afflalo is just not that good. Pretty mediocre quickness and athleticism for the NBA. He gets everything he can out of what he has, but he doesn't have Christie type potential on the defensive end, and he's going to have trouble getting his own shot.
Well, with Evans and Cousins and Greene/Casspi (or Anthony, if we jump back on the thread) on the floor (not to mention Landry, though I hypothetically traded him away), there's not much need for a guy like Afflalo to create his own shot. If he can't create his own shot, then he hangs out on the perimeter and waits for a kickout for an open three, and if someone else shoots, he gets back on defense.

And as far as potentially available perimeter defenders go, I can't think of any off the top of my head that clearly outclass Afflalo.

Hopefully we can just keep Landry, and Donte can shore up our perimeter D with his continued improvement. Hey what's the big idea hypothetically trading away one of my favorite players??? Not cool Cap...