Coronavirus

So I see California is in lockdown? Wow I hope everyone stays well and this thing slows down and let’s us return to a more normal life.
Full lockdown statewide now, came down through the counties this morning. Only "essential" businesses can be open. All other businesses and venues must close, and gatherings limited to less than 6 people. This will be for at least two weeks... My guess is a month. This is absolutely nuts.

I did a few errands today, just to get out. I drove past my old little league...it occurred to me how absolutely devastated I would have been if my 11 year old or 12 year old little league season would have been cancelled. So many things you don't realize at first are affected by this... can you imagine... the entire little league season is going to be cancelled. There will be no little league world series in all likelihood. That's lifelong memories... erased before they even happened. I would be crushed if I was a baseball loving kid. That was everything to me at that age.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Breaking News

https://www.kcra.com/article/uc-davis-medical-center-unveils-coronavirus-rapid-testing/31793832

On Thursday, UC Davis Medical Center unveiled its own internal rapid testing for the coronavirus. This is the first internal testing in the Sacramento area, which means the tests are run through a machine and the results are generated on-site instead of being sent out to a separate commercial lab.

Patients could get their results the same day.

“This is a game changer,” said Dr. Allison Brashear, the Dean of the School of Medicine at UC Davis.

The first patients were tested at UC Davis on Thursday. Right now, the medical center can administer 20 tests a day. Eventually, it plans to test 1,000 people daily.

“It will mean that we can test the patients who are the most critically ill. It’s important to know the critically ill patient whether they have the flu or they have COVID-19,” Brashear said...

Many states still haven’t received enough testing kits to show what really is the spread of this virus. I would suspect a lot more states and areas would be doing what ca did yesterday if we had the real scope what is happening in our community.
Our governor said earlier in the week he suspects 100,000 case in the state when our numbers were like in the 20 known at the time. I suspect if we did testing he probably would be right. I thought he was off his rocker when he said it but now I think he may just be right. I think most states with large population areas should shut it down until we find out where we stand.

Hope everyone is staying safe.

I have a lot of clients and friends, who are small to mid sized business owners. The demand side impact to their businesses have been devastating. Many won't survive this without government intervention at the federal and state level.

...Stay safe. Once we've flatten the curve, go out and support your local businesses (there are six micro breweries around me--three popping up wihin the last year; worried all of them won't survive this).

Last edited by a moderator:
How are they handling it?
Some heart break mixed with good cheer. My younger Daughters teachers are able to use interactive communication and allow the students to speak with her and each other thru their Chromebooks. My older Daughter has been moved to online which is a little dry.

My wife is at home and for me it is business as usual with lots of hand washing and nitrile gloves as I drive around and fix stuff.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: Please try to keep your comments non-political. We've kept this thread open for members to share information, experiences, etc. If you want to partake in more in-depth speculation or criticism, try Twitter.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
With asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic carriers, little testing, and slow public awareness of how quickly it was moving, having spread it a couple of weeks ago isn't necessarily blameworthy anyway. A lot has changed since then.

Gobert's still an irresponsible jerk, though. What a horrible example.
That was kind of my point. You can make assumptions all day about who got it from who, but with no real way to track it, who knows?

And yes, Gobert was not acting wisely. Doesn't mean you can specifically blame him though. He's since apologized and seen the errors of his ways.

Yeah, I don't hold Gobert responsible for the other cases, and I know he has apologized. I just can't unsee how I saw him acting, so I may be able to forgive him, but thinking that he's not a fool might take a bit longer.

Kaiser is rolling their out tomorrow. Most health system is coming up with their own since the CDC test takes 3-4 days turn around.
Hopefully my State will do something similar. Currently not enough tests .....

Our official numbers are nothing like California's or New York's.

I thought some might find interesting. Hand sanitizer has become a scarce commodity. Some of the distilleries have moved to producing it. The one I was first aware of was not for individual sale but providing in bulk form free to their local community. The distillery reached out to local authorities not the other way around. Do not know manner or cost for the rest but the governor in his daily briefing referenced this happening.

Bright items for community good.

I thought some might find interesting. Hand sanitizer has become a scarce commodity. Some of the distilleries have moved to producing it. The one I was first aware of was not for individual sale but providing in bulk form free to their local community. The distillery reached out to local authorities not the other way around. Do not know manner or cost for the rest but the governor in his daily briefing referenced this happening.

Can make your own too. Aloe Vera and rubbing alcohol mixed together.

I saw something about that on tv. It’s good they came up with a way to use a really non usable product and turn it into a good community service.

Had a good friend who used to work for a small distillery. He had told me they had non drinkable as a waste product and some that for what ever reason became unusable as a finish product. Never did say why the one run went south. Why not use it for a great cause.

So I hosted a karaoke night over WebEx tonight. Lots of talk about using it at work for simulated patient encounters and I have lots of music gear at home so figured I'd give it a go. Ton of fun, 10 mostly strangers and I learned a lot about the tech in the process. Hopefully I will be able to make it work better next time. Someone on the channel was talking about doing a D&D night and other folks have been using it for board games and other stuff. This whole thing sucks but it's kind of interesting how we're finding new ways to come together and make the most of it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So I hosted a karaoke night over WebEx tonight. Lots of talk about using it at work for simulated patient encounters and I have lots of music gear at home so figured I'd give it a go. Ton of fun, 10 mostly strangers and I learned a lot about the tech in the process. Hopefully I will be able to make it work better next time. Someone on the channel was talking about doing a D&D night and other folks have been using it for board games and other stuff. This whole thing sucks but it's kind of interesting how we're finding new ways to come together and make the most of it.
It's the indomitable spirit of humans to find ways to overcome and persevere. :)

I just may start drinking more now that I will be spending more time at home. So my day went like this.
Spent like 4 hours on my roof repairing 2 holes. The pitch here makes it a little harder than I remember in Sacramento but it’s done right
Now I was Chanel surfing and low and behold espn have out done themselves. Dodge ball and then marble racing?

It’s ironic but I think social distancing manages to bring together people in different way. I’ve been taking evening walk with my wife and I would see entire family goes out for walk including their teenage kids who would normally be too cool to hang out with their parents.

The Australian Olympic Committee telling its athletes to prepare for 2021 - while this doesn't mean the Olympics have been postponed - it is looking more and more likely

Other news in Australian sport (for those curious/ bored) - despite starting the season with modified rules and in front of empty stands, the Australian Football League has postponed the season. Rugby league says it cannot afford to cancel its season and is clutching onto each round for now. Aside from the loss in TV revenue, many rugby league clubs are supported by pubs and clubs that have just been forced to shut. Super Rugby (Rugby Union) was effectively cancelled when New Zealand placed mandatory quarantine onto all new arrivals as is this is a competition played between Sth Africa, Australia, NZ, Japan, and Argentina.

The Australian Olympic Committee telling its athletes to prepare for 2021 - while this doesn't mean the Olympics have been postponed - it is looking more and more likely

Other news in Australian sport (for those curious/ bored) - despite starting the season with modified rules and in front of empty stands, the Australian Football League has postponed the season. Rugby league says it cannot afford to cancel its season and is clutching onto each round for now. Aside from the loss in TV revenue, many rugby league clubs are supported by pubs and clubs that have just been forced to shut. Super Rugby (Rugby Union) was effectively cancelled when New Zealand placed mandatory quarantine onto all new arrivals as is this is a competition played between Sth Africa, Australia, NZ, Japan, and Argentina.
Canada has withdrawn and hopefully more countries follow.

Even Japan should want to postpone since whatever tourism and business is driven by the enormous amounts of public money spent to acquire the right to host is going to be wasted when they have to beg people to travel and disposable income is going to be low.