Considering Switching From Direct TV to Comcast

Can somebody help me out with this. I live in Sacramento. I am a proud owner of Direct TV. Based on all of the replys that I have seen in other threads, my opinion is the chance of DTV picking up that station is slim and none, and none is way out in front. BUT I LOVE THE KINGS!!! To the point that I am considering getting Comcast to go along with my Direct TV. Now on the Comcast website, it says that Basic Cable is available for $12.01 per month. I have two questions to consider:

1. Will the new Regional Sports Channel be carried in their basic cable package package. The description reads: For local news, area sports coverage and weather forecasts for your neighborhood, Comcast’s Basic Cable package more than delivers. Enjoy your favorite local broadcast networks, plus a selection of other cable channels, all at an affordable price. With Comcast Basic Cable you’ll have your local broadcast networks’ prime time and local sports programming delivered directly to your TV without the need for an antenna. :D Plus you receive a selection of cable channels that gives you additional choices for when it’s your turn to control the remote. Please refer to the channel lineup available on this site for the specific channels offered.

2. Can I have both Comcast and Direct TV on the same television?

I figure if I get the answer I want, I will be spending about $144 per year on Comcast, LESS than what i was willing to spend for NBA League Pass. Plus I can keep DTV and I get to watch every single Kings game. I KNOW I SOUND GREEDY. I have 45 days until regular season tip off, somebody help a desperate soul;)

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
You may want to look again at that Basic Cable. It is my understanding that to receive their new regional sports channel that you must have Expanded Basic Cable. You can add another $15 - $18 per month for that. Actually, I am not sure of the price, but you must add that to the Basic Cable price to get your actual total (plus all the taxes and fees).

Dont give up on Direct TV yet, I think its still too early. I was a bit overzealous myself, being a Direct TV customer for years, but I think that Comcast will work things out with both satellite providers, hopefully; but not expecting it till a few games into it, hopefully by the first game of the regular season.

If I will be able to watch Kings games on NBA League Pass, I won't be getting Comcast. It's not clear to me however, whether or not the League Pass on DirecTV in my area will be blacked out... obviously it wouldn't be the local Kings feed I'd be seeing but the other team's feed. I'd live with it.

As I have a contract w/ DirecTV my other option would be to dump League Pass and get Comcast for the NBA season in addition to DirecTV. Would be lame.

I've heard both ways on the blackout thing so I'm just kinda waiting...

You've heard both ways on the black-out thing? The black out rules, as they apply to League Pass, are fairly clear cut. The games WILL be blacked out within a 75 mile radius of ARCO Arena on League Pass. Now, Dish and/or Direct could choose to pay ComCast for the rights to the Kings new regional channel, then the games would appear on that new channel.

My hopes of a speedy resolution to this matter, given the help, or lack thereof received by Customer Service at DirecTV, is waning. I am installing ComCast on my bedroom TV, giving DirecTV until November when my contract expires to keep my business. At the rate of 19.99, I will actually be saving money with BOTH providers, since I nixed my extra sports programming and canceled League Pass.
The ONLY definitive answer given by the rep was, yes, the games WILL be blacked out in your area on LP.

Variant said:
If I will be able to watch Kings games on NBA League Pass, I won't be getting Comcast. It's not clear to me however, whether or not the League Pass on DirecTV in my area will be blacked out... obviously it wouldn't be the local Kings feed I'd be seeing but the other team's feed. I'd live with it.

As I have a contract w/ DirecTV my other option would be to dump League Pass and get Comcast for the NBA season in addition to DirecTV. Would be lame.

I've heard both ways on the blackout thing so I'm just kinda waiting...
What about question #2. Can I have both on the same TV?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Purple Reign - Don't cancel anything quite yet. Word is that both DishNet and DirecTV are actively pursuing the option of getting the new channel. The only thing not being talked about is how much it's going to cost them to do so, and how much of that cost they're going to pass on to their satellite subscribers. For now, I would strongly recommend taking a wait and see attitude. As anxious as Comcast is to steal viewers away from the satellite companies, they're not going to turn down your hard-earned bucks should you have to get them to see the games.

Unless DirecTV gives it's subscribers the Kings channel for free, Comcast will still be cheaper for the same TV coverage. I have started the ball rolling on the change-over, but have not heard anything from Comcast yet as to the availability of cable at my house. Expanded Basic Coverage.

Why not something that matters? Eighty-five gallons of wine cooking baby.