YouTube TV and Kings

dude12

Hall of Famer
Hopefully I can post this thread….not sure but all im looking for is if you are able to watch the Kings on YouTube tv.
I currently have Direct tv and with them at an impasse with Fox 40, im getting antsy that there will be no resolution by the time football starts and I’ll be missing those games on Fox40.

So im looking at options. With YouTube tv can one watch the Kings and local news on nbc, ABC, cbs?

I guess xfinity is also an option but im sure that they carry the Bay Area stations/kings station.

I already optioned into the nfl package on YouTube. Not YouTube tv but just YouTube.
And I already stream several other apps so not worried about that aspect.

Any help with other options would be greatly appreciated.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
you can watch if you're within the broadcast region. I forget what happens with DVR if you go on vacation.

When I had it I would get most of the Portland RSNs and locals but when visiting my mom I'd get all the Sacramento channels. It's an automatic switch when you login from an IP address in that region.

dude12

Hall of Famer
you can watch if you're within the broadcast region. I forget what happens with DVR if you go on vacation.

When I had it I would get most of the Portland RSNs and locals but when visiting my mom I'd get all the Sacramento channels. It's an automatic switch when you login from an IP address in that region.
So is just a matter of purchasing the Bay Area/Kings station and including in YouTube tv package just like with the direct tv package add ones?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
So is just a matter of purchasing the Bay Area/Kings station and including in YouTube tv package just like with the direct tv package add ones?
The sports stations were in the base package when I had it. You just had to be in Sacramento market or you'd get whatever market was local - so I'd get NBC Northwest at home and NBC CA/Bay Area at my mom's. It looks like the NBC Sports may be in the base package still? Sorry I am not up to date as I cancelled after what to me was a pretty significant price hike (I got in when it was $35 month and hung on up to $50 - after an increase to $65 in the early pandemic when the leagues went into hiatus I cancelled).

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
As @pdxKingsFan said, the Kings' RSN (NBC Sports California) is part of the standard YouTubeTV package if your zip code is in the area. Local stations (rarely are there Kings games...sometimes ABC10?) and ESPN/TNT are also all part of the package. So it's all about having a local zip code.

I've had YouTubeTV for a few years now and had next to no issues watching Kings games. The only issues seem to be common across most carriers - the RSN has to have an alternate feed during games to show during black-outs (for instance, folks in the Warriors' region get NBC Sports California because it also hosts A's games, but are not allowed to watch Kings games, so they get blacked out). At the beginning of the season the whole process of appropriately assigning the standard and alternate feeds is often a bit too much for interns (who are probably different interns from last year) and the whole process needs to get worked out all over again. I think they've always figured it all out before preseason is over!

Thought I would add my two cents worth and say last season was my first to watch the Kings on YouTubeTV, and I was pretty happy with the service. However, I am not in Sacramento but in Fresno, and NBC Sports California and NBC Sports Bay Area are part of my standard YouTube package. And I am able to watch my local news programming on the major networks. Regarding the DVR ability, once you set it up one time, it will record every game during the season and save it to your library. I seem to recall I could go back and watch any game in my library and do not recall ever learning there was any kind of DVR hourly restriction limit to your library?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I also wonder if having NBA League Pass on your laptop is feasible on its own or if you must provide a cable/satellite service login before proceeding

I also wonder if having NBA League Pass on your laptop is feasible on its own or if you must provide a cable/satellite service login before proceeding
You don’t need any cable/satellite account with League Pass, but in-region games will be blacked out. They are a little less savvy though (as of ~2yrs ago) with detection, so a combination of VPNs and disabling location services (device dependent) could be a work around.

Sidebar - HuluTV worked well for me with football (9ers) and Kings last year. Ymmv of course but I'm in Citrus Heights so take that with the knowledge. Plus it included Disney + and ESPN. Not that I watch ESPN except for certain games of course...

Thought I would add my two cents worth and say last season was my first to watch the Kings on YouTubeTV, and I was pretty happy with the service. However, I am not in Sacramento but in Fresno, and NBC Sports California and NBC Sports Bay Area are part of my standard YouTube package. And I am able to watch my local news programming on the major networks. Regarding the DVR ability, once you set it up one time, it will record every game during the season and save it to your library. I seem to recall I could go back and watch any game in my library and do not recall ever learning there was any kind of DVR hourly restriction limit to your library?
I don't think there is an hourly restriction, but there is a restriction on how long (in months) you have access to your recorded content for. And I believe that is in the ballpark of about 10 months (+/-)...

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Granted it's been years since I tried the other OTT services but YTTV's DVR blows them all away hands down. I think that was my favorite part of the service besides the low price early on. I am one of those people who DVR's everything and then has to delete stuff before I watched it. Never a problem with YTTV.

If I were going to go back to one of these services, it would be YTTV hands down. I just realized I didn't watch much live TV and that I can get TNT/TBS & ESPN from my mom's cable sub and local channels with an antenna, NBA with League Pass and well... we won't talk about NFL but Sunday Ticket is now available legally over the internet without DTV!

Hopefully I can post this thread….not sure but all im looking for is if you are able to watch the Kings on YouTube tv.
I currently have Direct tv and with them at an impasse with Fox 40, im getting antsy that there will be no resolution by the time football starts and I’ll be missing those games on Fox40.

So im looking at options. With YouTube tv can one watch the Kings and local news on nbc, ABC, cbs?

I guess xfinity is also an option but im sure that they carry the Bay Area stations/kings station.

I already optioned into the nfl package on YouTube. Not YouTube tv but just YouTube.
And I already stream several other apps so not worried about that aspect.

Any help with other options would be greatly appreciated.
Are you located in the general Sacramento region or residing elsewhere?

dude12

Hall of Famer
As I keep researching this, it appears that you can’t get mlb extra innings package with yttv which would be a problem. I get nfl, mlb and league pass packages.

So if direct tv customers like me stay with them what are the options to get Fox….specifically any football games showing on Fox. I’m wondering since my carrier doesn’t carry Fox will I pick those games up on the NFL package.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Do you need extra innings for A's or Giants or another team? I think you can get MLB.tv through amazon prime but it blacks out local. But maybe those games are on the NBC Sports channels which you get with YTTV? Sorry I am not up to date on those teams but it seems like the A's are on the Kings one iirc.

As for Fox, can you get an antenna? When I cut the cord I bought an HD Homerun and an antenna and installed both on the top floor of my house at the highest window. I have a router on each floor, so it's plugged into the router and can be picked up wirelessly to watch local broadcasts on any tablet or smart tv in my house.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Do you need extra innings for A's or Giants or another team? I think you can get MLB.tv through amazon prime but it blacks out local. But maybe those games are on the NBC Sports channels which you get with YTTV? Sorry I am not up to date on those teams but it seems like the A's are on the Kings one iirc.
The A's are on the "Kings" NBC sports channel, and the Giants are on the same one as the Warriors. So for A's/Giants games YTTV will cover it.

YouTubeTV unfortunately appears to still be in a contract dispute with MLB Network, so they aren't carrying MLB Network, nor can they link to MLB.tv. However, MLB.tv can be purchased as a standalone (no provider necessary, will black out A's/Giants locally...which under this scenario YTTV is covering) which covers all out of market games and has highlights, pre-game shows...it probably is the same package as Extra Innings, I'm not quite sure what more ExInn could offer.

Many TVs and other devices (e.g. Roku/Firestick type stuff) have an app so that you can watch MLB.tv on the TV itself. You can also always stream MLB.tv directly to your computer, but I've found that trying to "cast" it from there to the TV is a bit choppy.

dude12

Hall of Famer

As for Fox, can you get an antenna? When I cut the cord I bought an HD Homerun and an antenna and installed both on the top floor of my house at the highest window. I have a router on each floor, so it's plugged into the router and can be picked up wirelessly to watch local broadcasts on any tablet or smart tv in my house.
I’m in Sac so it looks like the local teams will be covered…kings, A’s although I don’t watch them and giants.
I use league pass and extra innings to watch other teams especially 8n the Summer since I’m on vacation

I researched the World Series and what it’s going to be on and it’s Fox. Brutal.

So far options are keep direct tv with no Fox, finding the way to get that Chanel as others have posted OR go to YTTV and miss out on MLB,package OR I suppose there is Xfinity where I should be able to get everything being discussed. I had Comcast before and we had massive pixelating issues that Comcast could not fix but that was an eternity ago

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
So far options are keep direct tv with no Fox, finding the way to get that Chanel as others have posted OR go to YTTV and miss out on MLB,package OR I suppose there is Xfinity where I should be able to get everything being discussed. I had Comcast before and we had massive pixelating issues that Comcast could not fix but that was an eternity ago
I would recommend you give YTTV a try and look at getting MLB.tv (which will get your out of market games) through Amazon or another stream service.

What would you be using to put YTTV on your television (or do you watch on tablets/at the computer)?

Cap had some solid suggestions, but the Cadillac systems are Apple TV and the Nvidia Shield TV. I am a fan of the latter though I may pick up an Apple TV since it's been forever since the Shield has been updated.

Once you get disconnected its a whole new ballgame. It's not terribly hard to fill gaps in channel lineups and new services are often emerging. It's said Warner/Discovery whatever the hell they are now is trying to put together a rights deal for MLB playoffs via Max.

I think YTTV is a great way to dip your toes in cord cutting and the over-the-top space. Even though I dropped my sub I kind of wish my mom would dump one or two of her xfinity subs and get YTTV instead but I am not entirely sure she has the bandwidth for it, but she is pretty tech savvy for a septegenarian.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I would recommend you give YTTV a try and look at getting MLB.tv (which will get your out of market games) through Amazon or another stream service.

What would you be using to put YTTV on your television (or do you watch on tablets/at the computer)?

Cap had some solid suggestions, but the Cadillac systems are Apple TV and the Nvidia Shield TV. I am a fan of the latter though I may pick up an Apple TV since it's been forever since the Shield has been updated.

Once you get disconnected its a whole new ballgame. It's not terribly hard to fill gaps in channel lineups and new services are often emerging. It's said Warner/Discovery whatever the hell they are now is trying to put together a rights deal for MLB playoffs via Max.

I think YTTV is a great way to dip your toes in cord cutting and the over-the-top space. Even though I dropped my sub I kind of wish my mom would dump one or two of her xfinity subs and get YTTV instead but I am not entirely sure she has the bandwidth for it, but she is pretty tech savvy for a septegenarian.
Can’t I just download the YouTube tv app on my Samsung smart tv?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Can’t I just download the YouTube tv app on my Samsung smart tv?
Yes. You definitely don't have to invest in any extra hardware but I found it enhanced my overall experience. Especially when I factored in how much I was saving when I dropped Xfinity.

In that case, wrt to Fox 40, NFL games and the World Series -- have you considered affixing an outdoor HD over-the-air antennae to your residence?

I ordered and installed one, including an active signal amplifier, about a year and a half ago and it works great (as opposed to indoor antennas).

One major benefit is being able to avoid contract disputes like the one you're currently experiencing. Also, IDK that a lot of people know this, but there are a TON more local channels available over-the-air than the standard 3, 10, 13, 31, 40 and 58 that you get via DTV or a cable provider (IIRC there's well over 60+ channels).

For example, channel 3 has alternate channels such as 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4 which airs a lot of different content. My wife and I often watch channel 31.2 which is LAFF TV, which airs a lot of older sitcoms from the 90's and 2000's.

So you'd get a lot more "local" content than you receive via DTV, or any other provider, but, most importantly, you'd always have a backup option when these contract disputes occur OR when weather is causing satellite signal disruption OR when Internet connectivity is spotty or lost entirely.

Here's a link to a website where you can check channel availability and relative signal strength at your local address. Make sure to select the "All Channels" option once the list populates: https://www.channelmaster.com/pages/free-tv-channels

The downside to using an over-the-air antennae is the inability to pause live action or use a DVR. But, there are options available to use a USB storage drive and create your own DVR for over-the-air content. A simple google search can help with that. And if you're using the antennae option strictly as a backup for when your service provider option isn't available, the lack of a DVR may not be so important to you.

Also, while most channels have great signal, local channel 10.1 (ABC) seems to have the most problem with signal based upon how you have to aim the antenna. So that's why I purchased and added a signal booster amplifier. But even then it still receives weaker signal than the other major network channels (Fox 40 is never an issue for me).

If you aren't the "do it yourself" type, you can hire a professional to order the equipment and install for you. Regardless how you get it installed, I highly recommend taking advantage of all those channels beaming over your airspace.

Last edited:
In that case, wrt to Fox 40, NFL games and the World Series -- have you considered affixing an outdoor HD over-the-air antennae to your residence? <snip>
Some great advice here. A number of years ago, before moving downtown, I got pissed at Charter and cut the cord to cable tv. My first run at an HD antenna was a bit of a failure, but had mainly to do with the distance from major broadcasting locations and the fact that I was limited to an indoor device because I was renting. I upped the strength of antenna and it helped a lot. The clarity of the signal was actual better than the crappy Charter cable. When I moved downtown to an upper floor & using same antenna I started receiving twice the channels.

Some great advice here. A number of years ago, before moving downtown, I got pissed at Charter and cut the cord to cable tv. My first run at an HD antenna was a bit of a failure, but had mainly to do with the distance from major broadcasting locations and the fact that I was limited to an indoor device because I was renting. I upped the strength of antenna and it helped a lot. The clarity of the signal was actual better than the crappy Charter cable. When I moved downtown to an upper floor & using same antenna I started receiving twice the channels.
Yeah, most indoor antennae options aren't very good, more so since the change from SD to HD transmissions. For adequate signal, an antennae really needs to be located outside to avoid natural interference caused by walls and other objects.

Even locating an indoor antennae at or near a window often doesn't work when other homes or buildings are obstructing signal or if the towers broadcasting the signals emanate from the opposite side of your home. Installing an antennae so that it has direct line-of-sight access to the broadcast signal is optimal.

I reside in foothills of the Sierra Nevadas, around 20 miles or more from where the majority of the broadcast towers are located. But someone much closer to the towers may not need to use an amplifier. Even still, line-of-sight access is still needed for adequate signal strength.

Many of the broadcast towers are located in the same general direction, but there is enough variance to cause signal issues with various channels. The trick is aiming your rooftop antennae in a position where it receives adequate signal from the core channels you use most then supplementing with an amplifier to boost signal. My attennae is fixed, but I believe you can purchase equipment that allows the antennae to rotate position using a motor.

Once you get it all figured out, it's a nice alternative to have. No more contract dispute hassles for me!!!!

dude12

Hall of Famer
Looking at the info from others in this thread, researching carriers and looking at the lineup on YTTV, it seems we would get everything we need with yttv and strictly streaming on the Samsung
Most if not all channels we watch already
Kings and Giants
Ability to get nba league pass
We already stream Prime, Netflix, Hulu, HBO/Max, Appletv, DisneyPlus, Peacock….maybe too many there
Already signed up for Sunday ticket on YouTube only…..I’m a Bears fan so it’s a must
Use Prime to get MLB.TV which looks quite a bit like ExtraInnings.

AND…..I think I would be saving money by getting away from Directtv.