Congrats Sacramento

This whole time I felt it was a done deal that the Kings would be heading down south. I felt 100% confident, but now it looks like they will stay. I'll admit it, I am a bit selfish and greedy, I wanted another team here for even more entertainment, but you guys clearly deserve the franchise more. It makes for a good NoCal vs SoCal rivalry anyway.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
No, it isn't. It has only just begun. It isn't over until Comcast Arena is standing in the downtown area.

“I don’t know that Kevin Johnson’s meeting in New York swayed the NBA one way or another, but I think that the NBA next week is going to go into Sacramento to verify a lot of the promises Kevin Johnson made to the board,” Maloof said. “There were various sponsorship promises and a promise to show the board, once and for all, how a new arena not only will be planned, but financed.”

Yahoo! Sports Article

We still need the arena. No arena, no Kings. All this did was get us back into Stern's good graces and buy us some time.

Edited to include article from yahoo, because I like yahoo better than any other sports outlet, and this one has good info on next steps.

Last edited:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
No, it isn't. It has only just begun. It isn't over until Comcast Arena is standing in the downtown area.
This. We have no arena feasibility study finished and no plans at all on how to finance one. If we get these things done (figure out financing, have councils voting on -- and approving -- building of an arena or approving financing for one, etc.), THEN I think we will be close to the finish line. But this isn't over AT LEAST until after next March 1. This is presuming of course that the Kings stay this year, which is still not a done deal. Looks very promising at this point, but the NBA is still looking around with a magnifying glass at both the Sacramento and Anaheim deals.

I think some folks were too quick to declare defeat after the Laker game and are too quick to declare victory now. This isn't over by any means. Not yet.

“I don’t know that Kevin Johnson’s meeting in New York swayed the NBA one way or another, but I think that the NBA next week is going to go into Sacramento to verify a lot of the promises Kevin Johnson made to the board,” Maloof said. “There were various sponsorship promises and a promise to show the board, once and for all, how a new arena not only will be planned, but financed.”

Yahoo! Sports Article

We still need the arena. No arena, no Kings. All this did was get us back into Stern's good graces and buy us some time.

Edited to include article from yahoo, because I like yahoo better than any other sports outlet, and this one has good info on next steps.
Thanks for posting this link. I appreciate reading an article that appears to not have any kind of agenda, unlike many articles I've read in the Bee. This puts the Maloofs in a totally different light that I haven't seen in a while. A light that gives me a flicker of hope that perhaps things could be mended between the Maloofs and the fans, if they end up staying. In the end, I'm also of the sentiment that I don't care how it's done or who ends up owning this team (though Burkle is very enticing). I just want my Kings here in Sacramento where they belong.

GET IT DONE!!!!

Last edited:
It is good to see an unbiased article. It's easier for the Maloofs to talk to an AP writer, I'm sure because the writer will not question what he says. Just report it. If a Maloof were to tell a Sacramento Bee writer that they have been honest and fair as they did in the Yahoo article, there would definitely have been follow-up questions or push back to that because the Bee knows the history.

I'm not sure that the Bee as a whole is intentionally unfair or biased. It's just that they can't flat out ignore what they already know to be true based on history of dealing with the Maloofs. And they are much less harsh than a big media paper would be.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It is good to see an unbiased article. It's easier for the Maloofs to talk to an AP writer, I'm sure because the writer will not question what he says. Just report it. If a Maloof were to tell a Sacramento Bee writer that they have been honest and fair as they did in the Yahoo article, there would definitely have been follow-up questions or push back to that because the Bee knows the history.

I'm not sure that the Bee as a whole is intentionally unfair or biased. It's just that they can't flat out ignore what they already know to be true based on history of dealing with the Maloofs. And they are much less harsh than a big media paper would be.
I find it interesting that the Bee did report part of the Maloof's remarks, but left out the parts that were concilitory. I'm not saying they were trying to paint them in a bad light, but it would have been better if they had reported the intire AP story.

I find it interesting that the Bee did report part of the Maloof's remarks, but left out the parts that were concilitory. I'm not saying they were trying to paint them in a bad light, but it would have been better if they had reported the intire AP story.
If your going to insinuate the Bee intentionally left something out you should at least post the quotes you are referring to.

The AP article also said that KJ's presentation to the NBA was "desperate". Should we infer the AP article was biased?

Should I infer you seem to be all over the Maloofs jock? Why?

Yahoo! Sports Article

I meant them staying this year but I appreciate the link to the article.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The Bee has a reputation that precludes me from absolving them of guilt in this regard. I'm enjoying seeing Sam Amick post on SI, almost with a "nanner-nanner" to his former employer.

I have to agree with Arco Thunder, too.

Arco Thunder said:
This puts the Maloofs in a totally different light that I haven't seen in a while. A light that gives me a flicker of hope that perhaps things could be mended between the Maloofs and the fans, if they end up staying. In the end, I'm also of the sentiment that I don't care how it's done or who ends up owning this team (though Burkle is very enticing). I just want my Kings here in Sacramento where they belong.
I know it's not a done deal yet, but as soon as it is, I'm not going to waste any effort on negative emotions towards the Maloofs.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If your going to insinuate the Bee intentionally left something out you should at least post the quotes you are referring to.

The AP article also said that KJ's presentation to the NBA was "desperate". Should we infer the AP article was biased?

Oh good grief. Take it down a notch, dude. The Bee has an incredible history of leaving things out when it comes to the Maloofs. Does the name R.E. Graswich ring any bells?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
The Bee has an incredible history of leaving things out when it comes to the Maloofs. Does the name R.E. Graswich ring any bells?
RE? He didn't leave stuff out......he just made it up and made it sound worse than it really was! ;)

Glenn

Hall of Famer

Why is it not a person's right to defend the Maloofs? Seems like the anti-Maloof crowd thinks it can say anything without challenge.

Some people simply take an opposing view to keep a good discussion going. I've done that in the past because it makes people think about what they are saying.

So, Sir, why would anyone have to defend their personal reactions to the Maloofs? We are all different and needn't speak with one voice. It would be boring if we all thought the same.

Maybe you should chill out. Because he takes an objective/different look at things he is "all over the maloof's jock"? give it a rest.

It's pretty obvious once your read the AP article how much was left out. Yes perhaps he can post those quotes. But they are there. And it the AP article paints them in much more reasonable and favorable light.