Congrats Bobby J, Coach of the Summer League Champs!

I was impressed by the defensive effort put forth by the SL Kings team. They hustled to defend and showed up ready to play. This appeared to be a well coached group.

In the SL Championship post game interview with Bobby the team was right behind him. The way he heaped praise on them for doing good work made them stand tall. You could see they appreciated Coach publicly supporting his guys.

Bobby J appears to be a leader of men. We already knew he could rebound with the Trees back in the day:) Lets find out what more Bobby can do with the Stockton Kings.

I was in high achool during the Bobby Jackson playing days so my memory of him is fuzzy. I never thought of him as the coaching type. My biggest memories of him is being a very good hustle player that could probably start for many teams at the time.

Could anyone shed light on him as a player? Was he a good defender? Was a cerebral player that you saw coaching one day?

I was in high achool during the Bobby Jackson playing days so my memory of him is fuzzy. I never thought of him as the coaching type. My biggest memories of him is being a very good hustle player that could probably start for many teams at the time.

Could anyone shed light on him as a player? Was he a good defender? Was a cerebral player that you saw coaching one day?
Bobby was a good defender that played with toughness and intensity. Jerry Reynolds used to call him our 6 foot PF because he consistently went in amongst the trees and grabbed rebounds.

Do we have any real evidence Bobby is an ascending coach or are we just caught up in the moment? I am not being a Negative Nancy or anything I am just curious what folks think he brings to the table? He has been an assistant here on some really awful teams. Is he an Xs and Os guy? Does he adjust well? Motivation? Accountability?

Do we have any real evidence Bobby is an ascending coach or are we just caught up in the moment? I am not being a Negative Nancy or anything I am just curious what folks think he brings to the table? He has been an assistant here on some really awful teams. Is he an Xs and Os guy? Does he adjust well? Motivation? Accountability?
yeah, I’m also wondering. I very much enjoyed Bobby as a player for the Kings, and this young group sure responded well to him, I hope the additional substance is there for climbing the ranks.

Just heard bobby's post conference, thanking his guys for buying into what he was selling him. Add to that another defensive stopper on the bench, Doug Christie, and you get a team that kills it on defense.

Serious question for kings fans...........

Yes this was just summer league, but would kings fans rather hand the teams reigns to someone like bobby and Doug and see what they could do or stick with Walton who headed a team that played some of the worst defense the league has seen in a long time? Walton seems so vanilla. He seems like he has no fire. At least Bobby and Doug would light a fire under some a$$es and probably hold guys accountable.

Just heard bobby's post conference, thanking his guys for buying into what he was selling him. Add to that another defensive stopper on the bench, Doug Christie, and you get a team that kills it on defense.

Yes this was just summer league, but would kings fans rather hand the teams reigns to someone like bobby and Doug and see what they could do or stick with Walton who headed a team that played some of the worst defense the league has seen in a long time? Walton seems so vanilla. He seems like he has no fire. At least Bobby and Doug would light a fire under some a$$es and probably hold guys accountable.
maybe you haven’t been here recently but we all hate Walton lol

Nah, he did well. Really well. I mean as much as a coach can do with games as chaotic as summer league usually is. Strategically he adapted from the Cali games to the Vegas ones and it paid off. He tried some of Lukes stuff in some games and especially while they were getting their holes kicked in in the final at the start and he ditched it and went right back to spread pick and roll and ate up the opponent when they switched. Terry ran Lukes high post hand off offense well, Queta didn't. He adapted there putting Queta more as a roller and post option. And he's also as you brought up, been an assistant for a long time so he's not out of the blue here. Also, plenty of the best head coaches were never X's and O's guys. They were rotation managers, game managers, motivators, and match up evaluators. Larry Bird was a COY and according to Jalen Rose and others was never an X's and O's guy. He knew what he wanted and let his X's and O's guy draw up his vision for the players. X's and O's coaches are more often than not failures when they can't simply look at the game for being as simple as it is sometimes.

Last edited:

Walton gets another go because the players like him. OK, whatever, give it a shot but if he goes back to what he has historically done strategically and they aren't winning, you can't be a better up and coming LIKABLE coaching duo than Bobby/DC can you? That might come along with a partial reset on the roster and we know some of the youngs guys already bought in for Bobby. Will they win games? Probably not, but competing and getting better is fine at that point if you are going "young". Bobby might even create a fire if they are trying to get back on track midseason. That new voice can turn the whole thing around alone and Bobby having history with these guys and probably spending more time than any other coach has (we've all seen the practice vids of Bobby corralling shots and shooting around with guys) it will all be a huge advantage for him. Then it goes back to Vivek though. He got rid of Malone when everyone knew he was the only competent thing the Kings had going at an organizational level.

Bobby J and Doug C and the SL team has started a movement within the Kings organization.
They have demonstrated to the Kings team now famous for the worst defense in the history of the league that team culture can change.
I cannot see the Kings starting any weak defenders like Hield and Bagley. They have to go.

Defense is not that complicated. You have to agree on some schemes and practice them and then go out and execute. It takes work and communication and some rebounding. If the Kings can become an average defensive team it will change everything.

Nah, he did well. Really well. I mean as much as a coach can do with games as chaotic as summer league usually is. Strategically he adapted from the Cali games to the Vegas ones and it paid off. He tried some of Lukes stuff in some games and especially while they were getting their holes kicked in in the final at the start and he ditched it and went right back to spread pick and roll and ate up the opponent when they switched. Terry ran Lukes high post hand off offense well, Queta didn't. He adapted there putting Queta more as a roller and post option. And he's also as you brought up, been an assistant for a long time so he's not out of the blue here. Also, plenty of the best head coaches were never X's and O's guys. They were rotation managers, game managers, motivators, and match up evaluators. Larry Bird was a COY and according to Jalen Rose and others was never an X's and O's guy. He knew what he wanted and let his X's and O's guy draw up his vision for the players. X's and O's coaches are more often than not failures when they can't simply look at the game for being as simple as it is sometimes.
Walton only knows the game from one perspective, which why he was limited in his career. His understanding of the game is mechanical and academic. Bobby and DC have a much deeper understanding of the flow and psychology of the sport. That alone makes it easier for players to buy in. You're speaking their language. These guys are professional athletes. If they're not able to execute what you're telling them to, it's due to poor communication and trust.