Coaching Candidates for next season (merged)

Here is a breakdown of the Rockets offense in 2011-2012. they hadn't aquired Harden yet, so their roster was more "old school" and therefore they ran more sets that I think would work with our personell as well

It had to be hard on him being dictated to by the front office on how to play and hopefully that trend stopped with the Kings as well, but even so, all he did was take a team to the western finals instead of forcing his "play style" on the players. Geez, that sounds like the opposite of what the Kings coaching staff did this year huh? It also has to be hard on a coach wishing beyond wish to have a big man that can do what the coach himself did while he was playing. Guess what, let Kevin know, the Kings found those guys he was talking about.

Rockets fans seem to still think McHale was not a good coach, saying he doesn't know how to run plays. Clearly just words from other armchair analysts, but I'd rather look elsewhere because we've had plenty of coaches that didn't know how to draw things up.
A good coach is one that plays to the strengths of his players. McHale did just that. Karl didn't. Results? One team had a western finals playoff appearance. The other just about went down with the ship.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Assuming Indiana bounce the Raptors out of the first round I say take a look at Dwyane Casey imo the Raptors rosters while he has been there post Rudy Gay have grossly overachieved in the regular season and are basically a team that does get bounced in the first round (people make a big deal out of them losing in the first round but they just are not that good imo). Also if memory serves me correct the Timberwolves had there best records with Casey coaching them (41-41 or close to it) the guy has milked a couple of decent teams and made them look spectacular during the regular season but never had playoff type killer players to go past the first round.

Aside from Derozan/Lowry those Toronto teams imo have had limited supporting cast talent at best.

He preaches defense and milks his best players in the half court, he has but taken heat also for not developing Big Val (they rarely throw the ball into him).
http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...ack-Next-Season-Regardless-Of-Playoff-Success

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Thibs of course, but Messina could be a disaster. Can't go there. Ego-laden authoritarians can go **** off this offseason. Its like absorbing a younger less experienced Karl. You know what Messina did before failing at Real Madrid? Walked in the door and immediately started cutting star players in favor of relative scrubs who would more willingly bend over for him. You never know how much working with Pop had helped tame the beast, but that's its heart.

Thibs of course, but Messina could be a disaster. Can't go there. Ego-laden authoritarians can go **** off this offseason. Its like absorbing a younger less experienced Karl. You know what Messina did before failing at Real Madrid? Walked in the door and immediately started cutting star players in favor of relative scrubs who would more willingly bend over for him. You never know how much working with Pop had helped tame the beast, but that's its heart.
interesting. very very interesting.

we cant have that again. Udoka or Thibs for me.

Can live with Mchale. Would like us to stay away from hand down man down. I dont feel brooks adds any value to us beyond filling a seat and having someone who is qualified to do the job do the job.

Cousins seems to be a very religion person....which would bode well with Jackson. Jackson is a preacher, and I think that's what Cousins needs. He needs someone who he can look up to. A coach that will tell Cuz to calm down. I remember Jackson once said that he's not subbing any of his players out right now for defense. They brought him back, and he's sticking with them all the way through. He's a players coach. All of the Warrior players loved Jackson. He would be a great coach for Cousins. For the Kings? Eh...
Trying to stay within forum rules. A preacher is just a man. Some live up to the calling and some do not. I will leave the judging of that to a higher authority.

Cousins seems to be a very religion person....which would bode well with Jackson. Jackson is a preacher, and I think that's what Cousins needs. He needs someone who he can look up to. A coach that will tell Cuz to calm down. I remember Jackson once said that he's not subbing any of his players out right now for defense. They brought him back, and he's sticking with them all the way through. He's a players coach. All of the Warrior players loved Jackson. He would be a great coach for Cousins. For the Kings? Eh...
Mark Jackson is a preacher who doesn't practice what he preaches. He tries to make everyone think he's this spiritual leader and then he turns around and does something completely different. He's a can of a coach and a hypocrite of a leader. We've had bad characters and we've had bad coaches. Why go out and hire someone who is both?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
He had a 30 plus PER season under him and played the Warriors competitively under his watch. He shouldn't have been fired. Made Tyreke Evans talents useful on a playoff team. He's a Popovich disciple, coached for Team USA and has been known to relate to young players. Every big name player in the league loves him and respects the hell out him. Better than any coach we've had around here in a long time.
If he has such credentials as you've stated, why did New Orleans let go of him? I mean the Pelicans were pretty stacked as a team, was it really the coaching?

If we cant have thibs, brooks etc I'd rather just go after an assistant who has a lot to prove and will be a tireless worker. Im not going near Mchale who is already paid well and has an established legacy, losing here won't effect him much and he could more easily pull a Karl and come here for a fat check then disappear. We have had bad experiences with re-treads here in Sacramento lately and now is not the time for another one in my opinion(unless its thibs or brooks).

Mark Jackson is a preacher who doesn't practice what he preaches. He tries to make everyone think he's this spiritual leader and then he turns around and does something completely different. He's a can of a coach and a hypocrite of a leader. We've had bad characters and we've had bad coaches. Why go out and hire someone who is both?
Because he may be 1 of the only coach to ever be able to reach Cousins. Who's ever been able to calm Cousins down? Calipari wasn't able to. Malone wasn't able to. All of these guys are his favorite coaches. I bet Pop wouldn't let Cousins get away with the crap he does, but I doubt Cousins wouldn't stop doing it.

I think Jackson could be the only guy who would be able to reach Cousins and tell him stop his antics. Tell him to get back on defense, because there's a new play. He can connect to Cousins on a spiritual and emotional level. Say what you want about his coaching, but he was a players' coach. All of his players loved him. Cousins needs a coach like Jackson. Do I think Jackson would be a good coach for the Kings? no. Do I think Jackson would be a good coach for Cousins? Yes. Vlade seems very motivated to move forward with Cousins. This seems like a Vlade type of move.

Remember the type of background he comes from... it's the same type of background these players come from. That's why he connects more with them, than regular people. The NBA is heavily religious, and the players come from very religious backgrounds. I don't see how Jackson has done anything terrible that would turn away the Kings. Is it his affair? I'd predict that 90% of the NBA players have cheated on their wives. This is a cheating culture that people refuse to recognize. Is it okay, hell no, but that's the reality of things.

I like Adrian Griffin. He's hungry for the opportunity and think would have the respect of the players right away. Great knowledge of the game and love the experience he gained working under Thibs

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because he may be 1 of the only coach to ever be able to reach Cousins. Who's ever been able to calm Cousins down? Calipari wasn't able to. Malone wasn't able to. All of these guys are his favorite coaches. I bet Pop wouldn't let Cousins get away with the crap he does, but I doubt Cousins wouldn't stop doing it.

I think Jackson could be the only guy who would be able to reach Cousins and tell him stop his antics. Tell him to get back on defense, because there's a new play. He can connect to Cousins on a spiritual and emotional level. Say what you want about his coaching, but he was a players' coach. All of his players loved him. Cousins needs a coach like Jackson. Do I think Jackson would be a good coach for the Kings? no. Do I think Jackson would be a good coach for Cousins? Yes. Vlade seems very motivated to move forward with Cousins. This seems like a Vlade type of move.

Remember the type of background he comes from... it's the same type of background these players come from. That's why he connects more with them, than regular people. The NBA is heavily religious, and the players come from very religious backgrounds. I don't see how Jackson has done anything terrible that would turn away the Kings. Is it his affair? I'd predict that 90% of the NBA players have cheated on their wives. This is a cheating culture that people refuse to recognize. Is it okay, hell no, but that's the reality of things.
Really? Because to me hiring Mark Jackson seems like the least Vlade move I can think of. Vlade is about building a culture and creating synergy founded on good communication. And the reason the Warriors owner gave for terminating Jackson was that he couldn't get along with anyone in the building.

Vlade has always been a decent to good team defender but his strength was on the offensive end. He talks about ball movement and creative offense while Jackson was criticized for his offense being too bland. And while his team's competed on the defensive end, it's worth noting how many people credit Mike Malone and then subsequently Darren Erman (the assistant who secretly recorded coaches meetings to share with the front office) rather than Jackson himself. And another assistant that he clashed with, Brian Scalabrine said that Jackson didn't push his players hard enough.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...mark-jacksons-staff-didnt-push-players-enough

The Kings hired a coach that focused a lot of energy on building a relationship with Cousins, wanted to be a players' coach and who talked about creating a sense of "family" on the team in Keith Smart. Without team success that kind of stuff doesn't mean much. Not to the fans and apparently not to Cousins.

And honestly I don't understand how you can think Jackson would be a poor coach for the Kings but a good coach for Cousins. That seems non-sensical to me. I can't imagine that Cousins would end his pouting, complaining and immaturity because he really likes his coach. No, the hope - the ONLY hope really for building a successful team around Cousins - is that a lot of that behavior is curbed if the team is winning. And for that you hire the coach that you think will improve the TEAM the most. The only other real qualification that would pertain to Cousins at all is that the coach be upfront and honest with him. But I'd want that with any coach really.

Last edited:
If he has such credentials as you've stated, why did New Orleans let go of him? I mean the Pelicans were pretty stacked as a team, was it really the coaching?
They felt they plateued with Williams and wanted a new coach to take them to the next level. He had the same roster injury issues that Alvin Gentry faced this year and was still able to remain competitive and made the playoffs last year in an arguably tougher Western Conference playoff field.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
They felt they plateued with Williams and wanted a new coach to take them to the next level. He had the same roster injury issues that Alvin Gentry faced this year and was still able to remain competitive and made the playoffs last year in an arguably tougher Western Conference playoff field.
so the alternative was to get Gentry instead to put them over that barrier? yikes!

So in your eyes, New Orleans made a mistake getting rid of Monty?
Yes and No. If they felt he wasn't the guy going forward, they should have replaced him with someone better than Alvin Gentry. Thibs was out there for the taking as was Scott Brooks. They hopped on the pace bandwagon like the rest if the league did.

This team can't afford to take a risk on any questionable coaching candidates, regardless of how high the perceived reward might be. All coaches get fired for a reason, but in Jackson's case, a major part of that reason had less to do with the x's and o's, but who he is as a person, his coaching style, and the fact that he rubbed front office people the wrong way. I cannot stress enough how important it is that we do NOT hire a dude like that.

I mean seriously, we are without a doubt one of the most laughable franchises in sports history. Sure, Jackson MAY be a guy who can get to Cuz, but there's also a strong possibility that they're personalities clash, big time. You could say that about any coach, but i think Jackson is clearly above the rest of the pack when it comes to a level of inherent risk, based on the fact that as a coach, he relies heavily on religious preaching to motivate his players, which i do not feel will work in just any NBA locker room. I also recall a lot of discussion around the fact that Mike Malone was a major contributor as far as writing up plays and all that while Jackson played the preacher/cheerleader role.

We need stability, we need a guy who we can feel confident will be here for at least a few years without causing any drama. A standup, x's and o's guy that will fit into the hierarchy, without letting his ego call the shots. I'm not sure who that guy is, but it is not Mark Jackson. There is no room for his BS coaching approach on this team at this point in time, period. The next coach must be someone who can right the ship with MINIMAL chances t of rocking the boat.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">NBA coaching sources offered a new name today on what figures to be a long list of possible Kings candidates: Pacers assistant Nate McMillan</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/720672987733569536">April 14, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm interested in Nate McMillan which we apparently have interest in, per Stein.