Coaching Candidates for next season (merged)

I appreciate where you're coming from, but I'm going to keep my dream thanks. ;)
Some dreams become nightmares. Even if they were able to bring him over, I also don't know how it would translate. At UK, the buck stops and starts with him. In the NBA, coaches are disposed easily. Different power structure.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
As of today, here's where I'm at in terms of my favorite options for the Kings next coach.

1. Ime Udoka

I have a preference for former players who were journeymen during their NBA career. Firstly because it means they generally had to work harder and do the little things to help their teams win. And so they value those little things, are usually good communicators/teachers because they had to soak up knowledge and use it to succeed. Secondly, it means they've been exposed to a LOT of situations. Different coaching styles, different locker room dynamics and have a pool to draw from. Udoka has all of that AND he's smart, patient and just exudes a quiet confidence. People want to see the Kings move closer to being like the Spurs? I think Udoka is the best available option.

As a bonus, he was maybe the key recruiter in bringing Aldridge to San Antonio. Listen to him here and tell me that's not a guy you'd want in charge of the Kings:
http://bballbreakdown.com/2015/08/1...h-san-antonio-spurs-assitant-coach-ime-udoka/

2. Tom Thibodeau

Tremendous defensive minded coach. I have no doubt he'd make a very big difference with the Kings. He's a grinder with an old school approach and I love both of those things about him. On the downside he's been painted as a control freak who didn't work well with management, he played his best players too many minutes and at the end he'd lost the locker room. I think he's one of those guys (Scott Skiles comes to mind) who is great for turning around a team but eventually wears on his guys and has to move on.

3. Kevin Ollie

Many of the same things I could say about Udoka I would say about Ollie. Tremendous work ethic and he was always a great locker room presence as a player. I might actually like him more than Thibs. But I think if he makes the jump to the NBA the team that would make the most sense (and the job I'd take WAY before the Kings gig) would be replacing Sam Mitchell in Minnesota.

3. Adrian Griffin

Again my bias for journeyman players as coaches shows. Has been an assistant under Skiles (3 years total) and Thibodeau (5 years) and so you can see where his coaching principles would come from but he's also been praised as being a good communicator and a guy who works well with players.

4. Tony Bennett

I like Bennett a lot as an NCAA coach. And I think in time he'd be very successful in the NBA. Some people see him as "the next Brad Stevens" but Stevens ran a more pro style offense at Butler so I think the learning curve would be higher for Bennett. I think he's a real option if the Kings end up trading Cousins. If Boogie is back I don't think he's a guy you tab to try and win now.

5. Luke Walton

Even as a Laker I found it hard to hate Walton. Smart, heady player, good passer and a guy who made the most of his limited physical tools. And he MUST have played a role in the Warriors amazing start this year. But how much? I have him fifth only because I don't really have a firm grasp on how good a coach he actually is. And because I think the Dubs' success will drive up the price on him.

Honorable Mention: John Calipari

This would be such a Vivek hire. And while I think Calipari would do better in the NBA the second time around, I don't know how much better. And the price tag would be enormous. Not just in terms of money but in terms of the control he'd want. This is a bit like the question of resigning Rondo. Maybe both moves make sense if Cousins stays. But if Cousins ends up demanding a trade then are the Kings going to be stuck paying a 31 year old Rondo $17 or $18 million a year and with Calipari having a contract too big to terminate along with a say in personnel decisions? I don't like that idea.

Personally I think the decision of a head coach can only partly be about the existing roster and players. Like I said, I'd rule out Bennett if Cousins is staying but I'd take Udoka no matter what the roster looks like. Now Vlade just has to convince him . . .

I still would love to see Kevin McHale on the bench. And in the FO for that matter, he'd be great to have in both areas. He knows talent and can you imagine how he'd use Cousins? Perfect match in my opinion. He would simply be a great addition to the franchise in general.

Very nteresting reading people's choices and their reasoning. Sounds like some good candidates. However, knowing how attractive the Kings' job is it seems more likely we would be choosing between the head coaches at: Sac Sate, UCD, Chico State, Sonoma State, maybe university of the Pacific or St. Marys. Don't know much about them. Is one of them Jim Les, an old King?

Very nteresting reading people's choices and their reasoning. Sounds like some good candidates. However, knowing how attractive the Kings' job is it seems more likely we would be choosing between the head coaches at: Sac Sate, UCD, Chico State, Sonoma State, maybe university of the Pacific or St. Marys. Don't know much about them. Is one of them Jim Les, an old King?
That's a gigantic stretch. Even as undesirable as the Kings HC job is, there's only 1 out of 30 spots in the NBA.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
As of today, here's where I'm at in terms of my favorite options for the Kings next coach.

1. Ime Udoka

I have a preference for former players who were journeymen during their NBA career. Firstly because it means they generally had to work harder and do the little things to help their teams win. And so they value those little things, are usually good communicators/teachers because they had to soak up knowledge and use it to succeed. Secondly, it means they've been exposed to a LOT of situations. Different coaching styles, different locker room dynamics and have a pool to draw from. Udoka has all of that AND he's smart, patient and just exudes a quiet confidence. People want to see the Kings move closer to being like the Spurs? I think Udoka is the best available option.

As a bonus, he was maybe the key recruiter in bringing Aldridge to San Antonio. Listen to him here and tell me that's not a guy you'd want in charge of the Kings:
http://bballbreakdown.com/2015/08/1...h-san-antonio-spurs-assitant-coach-ime-udoka/

2. Tom Thibodeau

Tremendous defensive minded coach. I have no doubt he'd make a very big difference with the Kings. He's a grinder with an old school approach and I love both of those things about him. On the downside he's been painted as a control freak who didn't work well with management, he played his best players too many minutes and at the end he'd lost the locker room. I think he's one of those guys (Scott Skiles comes to mind) who is great for turning around a team but eventually wears on his guys and has to move on.

3. Kevin Ollie

Many of the same things I could say about Udoka I would say about Ollie. Tremendous work ethic and he was always a great locker room presence as a player. I might actually like him more than Thibs. But I think if he makes the jump to the NBA the team that would make the most sense (and the job I'd take WAY before the Kings gig) would be replacing Sam Mitchell in Minnesota.

3. Adrian Griffin

Again my bias for journeyman players as coaches shows. Has been an assistant under Skiles (3 years total) and Thibodeau (5 years) and so you can see where his coaching principles would come from but he's also been praised as being a good communicator and a guy who works well with players.

4. Tony Bennett

I like Bennett a lot as an NCAA coach. And I think in time he'd be very successful in the NBA. Some people see him as "the next Brad Stevens" but Stevens ran a more pro style offense at Butler so I think the learning curve would be higher for Bennett. I think he's a real option if the Kings end up trading Cousins. If Boogie is back I don't think he's a guy you tab to try and win now.

5. Luke Walton

Even as a Laker I found it hard to hate Walton. Smart, heady player, good passer and a guy who made the most of his limited physical tools. And he MUST have played a role in the Warriors amazing start this year. But how much? I have him fifth only because I don't really have a firm grasp on how good a coach he actually is. And because I think the Dubs' success will drive up the price on him.

This would be such a Vivek hire. And while I think Calipari would do better in the NBA the second time around, I don't know how much better. And the price tag would be enormous. Not just in terms of money but in terms of the control he'd want. This is a bit like the question of resigning Rondo. Maybe both moves make sense if Cousins stays. But if Cousins ends up demanding a trade then are the Kings going to be stuck paying a 31 year old Rondo $17 or $18 million a year and with Calipari having a contract too big to terminate along with a say in personnel decisions? I don't like that idea.

Personally I think the decision of a head coach can only partly be about the existing roster and players. Like I said, I'd rule out Bennett if Cousins is staying but I'd take Udoka no matter what the roster looks like. Now Vlade just has to convince him . . .
I have been a fan of Kevin Ollie since he won the national title with UConn, his understanding of the game and passion on the sideline won me over. He also played in the league so it's not as if you are throwing him into the pit. I think the best route the Kings should take to be honest is going with a college coach and grooming him here for the long term. I'd rather take my chance with one of those coaches than coaches who have either failed in the NBA or are not going to likely come here such as Thibs IMO.

One last thing, what makes people actually think Tony Bennett will leave his Virginia gig? was there some type of reports that I don't know about where he expressed interest in coaching in the Pro's or is it one of those situations like OKC had with Donovan prior to his hire?

1. Ime Udoka

2. Tom Thibodeau

3. Kevin Ollie

3. Adrian Griffin

4. Tony Bennett

5. Luke Walton

i like your list

gah. Brooks is decent at building relationships but his in game management leaves a lot to be desired.

please dear god i hope we are not wow'ed by jacksons talk
I'm not a big fan of Jackson. Brooks would be better than what we have had, but I hope he isn't the name at the top of the list.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Carmichael Dave on Twitter suggesting Brooks and Jackson are the most likely candidates.
I take what Carmichael says to be just opinions and speculations. There are no suggestions or proof of this. If Brooks or Jackson were their targets then they are better off just nabbing a college head coach who might want to give the NBA a try.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I know its always cool to bash Brooks like he did nothing, but I don't see the Thunder magically any better with one of the best college coaches in the game at their head this year.

Aside from his Nor Cal roots, you know who Brooks' resume resembles? Rick Adelman before he joined the Kings (a person with some NBA history might snarkily note before he joined Golden State and failed). Same pattern. Takes over midseason, loses out, then coaches one of the most talented team in the league into contention for half a decade, never quite gets over the top, loses in the Finals, gets blamed for their falling short, and fired. Until we picked him up.

With Brooks, I think there are legitimate questions about if he can lead any team to success without Durant and Westbrook. Having two top 10 players on your roster almost always translates to wins. OKC has done a great job with drafting and developing. You have to wonder whether or not Brooks played a key role in that.

This is the same organization that drafted and developed KD, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka, and Reggie Jackson. How much credit goes to Brooks? I don't know.

Bricklayer

With Brooks, I think there are legitimate questions about if he can lead any team to success without Durant and Westbrook. Having two top 10 players on your roster almost always translates to wins. OKC has done a great job with drafting and developing. You have to wonder whether or not Brooks played a key role in that.

This is the same organization that drafted and developed KD, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka, and Reggie Jackson. How much credit goes to Brooks? I don't know.
I don't either, but the question of how the baseline for a Kings coach got shifted to "must be the next Pop or we're too good for him" is of interest.

Certainly when it comes to development after being drafted...I mean who else are we going to blame for that? The GM? The owner come down and work guys out?

We've already got one Top 10 player to get him started with. Willie is of course exactly the sort of big he has always employed heavily. And while Cuz is not, people have to remember that Brooks also played for a decade in the NBA, and during his playing career he played alongside Sir Charles in Philly, Hakeem in Houston (where he won a ring), and Ewing in New York. This is a guy who knows what great bigs are and what they can do. Guy's got a .620 career winning percentage, and at 49 there is no reason to expect he's washed up.

I do find it amusing/distressing that in our coaching search now names near the top of the heap are guys that we were pondering a decade ago, that ere actually interviewed or on our lists, and we kept making the wrong call. Reggie Theus instead of Brooks. Westphal instead of Thibs. A decade later the same names are back, only now with hundreds of wins to their names, each having coached an MVP and made Conference Finals. Meanwhile the tools we chose instead are long gone. And we now sit around talking about doing better than these guys again.

IMO there is a possibility that we don't go all out and spend the money it would take to get a Brooks/Thibs/Jackson in here. Since money has been the issue in firing Karl who knows how big of a role it will play in the next coaching hire. Thibs is pretty much a pipe dream, the more likely scenario is going to be a top assistant/college coach hiring. Brooks would be amazing but there are some questions with him and I don't know if ownership will go all in money wise unless its close to a sure thing since they are fresh off of being robbed of 15 million.

Beggers can't be choosers and we should be happy with a tireless basketball mind who can build relationships and trust with the players (Malone'esk). I don't think there will be a huge outcry if we don't land that big name this time around because of the disaster that was George Karl. No one ( trying not to underestimate Vivek) can be worse than the Corbin/Karl combo that we have had to endure the past 2 wasted seasons.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I do not want Mark Jackson or Scott Brooks....there is a reason both got dumped despite winning. Why go with a retread like this. Thibs is the number 1 choice. Udoka.....I'm going of funkykingston recommendation and the fact he is in the Spurs org......sounds like a potential good hire. I'm not so sure about Kevin Ollie.....legit question....did his program take a step backwards and did he benefit from taking over for the previous coach who brought in the talent.

Thibs, Bennett, Udoka, and maybe Adrian Griffin or Christie for me. No one else please, especially not Jackson, Brooks, McHale or any of those guys.

Bricklayer

I would not be fine with Brooks or Jackson. Both suboptimal strategic coaches.
Who win 60% of their games.

I do not want Mark Jackson or Scott Brooks....there is a reason both got dumped despite winning. Why go with a retread like this. Thibs is the number 1 choice. Udoka.....I'm going of funkykingston recommendation and the fact he is in the Spurs org......sounds like a potential good hire. I'm not so sure about Kevin Ollie.....legit question....did his program take a step backwards and did he benefit from taking over for the previous coach who brought in the talent.

The reasons why Jackson and Brooks got dumped are radically radically different.

Jackson is an agent of drama.

Brooks, however, as I've said before Brooks is in the same position Rick Adelman was in. His great sin is that a bunch of fool....er...people decided that he should be winning titles every year. So "merely" coaching a perennial power/contender was not enough.

And of course as Kings fans we want to dump the NBA's assist leader, dump the All NBA center, and we're too good for a guy who's very worst season was better recordwise than any coach we've ever had in 30 years but Adelman.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Who win 60% of their games.

The reasons why Jackson and Brooks got dumped are radically radically different.

Jackson is an agent of drama.

Brooks, however, as I've said before Brooks is in the same position Rick Adelman was in. His great sin is that a bunch of fool....er...people decided that he should be winning titles every year. So "merely" coaching a perennial power/contender was not enough.

And of course as Kings fans we want to dump the NBA's assist leader, dump the All NBA center, and we're too good for a guy who's very worst season was better recordwise than any coach we've ever had in 30 years but Adelman.
Jackson I wouldn't want.....Brooks did have the benefit of a damn good roster. Not saying he's not a worthy candidate, I guess there is a concern that should be explored. Thibs would be my pick based on the defensive résumé. I get he may wear people out but if he can get us where we want, I'll take that. I think Cuz would relish a guy like Thibs....no nonsense. I feel, as you mentioned, Jackson has too much stuff that comes along with him....or drama.

Scott Brooks should have been the coach when Musselman started to tank. But how would his relationship with Karl effect his desire to basically take his job?

Mark Jackson is a major no for me.

Another thing we should consider is a Brooks-Cousins relationship if we decide to move on with Cuz. He needs a big strong leader that will sit him down and tell him to stfu. Cuz will never be a leader, but that's where you'll need a leading coach.

I just don't feel like Brooks is that guy. It might just feel like another Lebron-Blatt case where Cuz constantly undermines him.

Brooks would need to be extremely vocal and hard pressing on Cuz. That's exactly what he needs. He needs tough loving.

Scott Brooks should have been the coach when Musselman started to tank. But how would his relationship with Karl effect his desire to basically take his job?

Mark Jackson is a major no for me.
Mark Jackson might honestly be the best coach for Cousins... I won't mind him here at all. No one will ever be able to truly get through Cuz, but Jackson comes close. He's a players coach.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Yes, but it's an abstract argument. You could say the same thing about Phil Jackson. It was Brooks that figured out how to use Durant properly, which shouldn't have been that hard. By no means am I endorsing Brooks, but I'm not going judge him by something that never happened.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mark Jackson might honestly be the best coach for Cousins... I won't mind him here at all. No one will ever be able to truly get through Cuz, but Jackson comes close. He's a players coach.
I don't know DeMarcus so this is just my opinion from the outside looking in but I've never felt like Boogie needs a coach to "get through to him". I don't think he needs a father figure or a player friendly coach or anything like that. IMO what Cousins wants is a coach who helps the team win and who is honest and straightforward.

And I don't think you can have Jackson coaching a team with Rondo since I'm pretty confident Rajon knows the game better and would clash with Jackson.