Coach Yogurt v. Bagley's dad (split/merge)

Nebs posted this on another site, so I don’t want to take credit. But there is definitely friction between the DJ camp and the Bagley camp. And I think this all started with the Williams/DJ spat and when DJ made the Luka comments

B1FBAADA-CBB7-4EA1-A167-25930FBAAF70.jpeg

....and oh my god, Bagley's dad just took ANOTHER shot at Joerger. He has taken plenty at him, but this one is just bad.

This makes it very hard for anyone to deny that Bagley's post about Coach K wasn't a deliberately aimed at Joerger.
I was in tbe camp that thought (and still think), while not necessarily directed to Bagley, that DJs Luka comments were absolutely veiled shots ...most likely at the FO.

....and oh my god, Bagley's dad just took ANOTHER shot at Joerger. He has taken plenty at him, but this one is just bad.

This makes it very hard for anyone to deny that Bagley's post about Coach K wasn't a deliberately aimed at Joerger.

Yogurt played Bagley 38 minutes so it was not the Fermented One's fault. :).
I understand wanting your son to do well but he could have put something about the Kings in there such as "...putting up 30/12 this game and the Kings are winning by 5"

EDIT: misread the original tweet as coming from Marvin's dad. but he just responded to it.

Last edited:

He refers to Joerger as "yogurt"? I think I like this guy. Coach Yogurt. Ok that is funny :p Now let me make my position clear: Coach Yogurt was bringing along MB3 nicely. He was showing confidence and faith in him and bringing him early. There may have been a few times he could have put MB3 in the 4th quarter crunch time but I am not going to nitpick. Coach Yogurt believes in MB3 regardless of what his Bagley's dad thinks. He appreciates his skill level and learning curve and was doing his best to nurture his development at the right pace.

But last night was an undeniable snub and Marvin had every right to be peeved. That was the basis of the Coach K post. Jackson over Bagley to start the second at the 4 was an insult. Jackson was playing relatively well by his standards but he is NOT a 4 and Kurucs was not deserving of such deference for us to juggle our lineup like that. The results did not justify this decision with 18 point swing in the 3rd and collapse in the 4th. We quit for the first time. Coach Yogurt is doing a good job overall but he is not infallible. We saw that with Barnes and Affalo and Z-Bo and irrational preference for these guys who contribute a lot more to losing than winning.

Bagley will move into the starting lineup soon as I predicted a few days ago but it should not have taken and DNP-Rest of Bjelica to precipitate it. Is Bagley moving in to the starting lineup on his own merits or because Bjelica has fallen off the cliff? It is combination of both which could leave Bagley and his Dad still feeling under appreciated. It will all work out however as 20/10 games for Bagley become the norm soon enough. For those thinking this is a simmering drama that is going to plague the team I wouldn't worry. Bagley's Dad is passionate and his son inherited that passion and that is part of what is going to make him great.

I was in tbe camp that thought (and still think), while not necessarily directed to Bagley, that DJs Luka comments were absolutely veiled shots ...most likely at the FO.
Totally disagree. Coach Yogurt loves himself some Bogdan Bogdanovic. This was important going back to the draft. He loved the guy who can do 70-80% of what Luka can do maybe more especially as a playmaker and three position defender. He also believed in D-Fox and wanted the ball in his hands. At the same time we didn't have a frontcourt talent like MB3 until we drafted him. We didn't have a go-to high and low post player if we made preemptive decision to steer away from Z-Bo. Bagley did and does project as a perfect complement to Fox.

Joerger being complimentary towards Luka was because he was deserving of praise. Remember Luka's outside shot was questionable since he only made 31% of this threes overseas despite nice mechanics. At the time we played them he was making 40% . The ceiling was raised on his upside based on his ability to make that deep shot with his step back shots. It opened up his offensive game so his lack of burst is less of an issue. He is still slow but he is more likely to be an All-Star than say a quality starter. So in my mind Joerger was making a relatively accurate assessment of him not implying we made a mistake in not taking him.

Totally disagree. Coach Yogurt loves himself some Bogdan Bogdanovic. This was important going back to the draft. He loved the guy who can do 70-80% of what Luka can do maybe more especially as a playmaker and three position defender. He also believed in D-Fox and wanted the ball in his hands. At the same time we didn't have a frontcourt talent like MB3 until we drafted him. We didn't have a go-to high and low post player if we made preemptive decision to steer away from Z-Bo. Bagley did and does project as a perfect complement to Fox.

Joerger being complimentary towards Luka was because he was deserving of praise. Remember Luka's outside shot was questionable since he only made 31% of this threes overseas despite nice mechanics. At the time we played them he was making 40% . The ceiling was raised on his upside based on his ability to make that deep shot with his step back shots. It opened up his offensive game so his lack of burst is less of an issue. He is still slow but he is more likely to be an All-Star than say a quality starter. So in my mind Joerger was making a relatively accurate assessment of him not implying we made a mistake in not taking him.
I don’t mind him complementing him, it was the phrasing of it I found curious. Especially on the heals of the Williams dust up

I don’t mind him complementing him, it was the phrasing of it I found curious. Especially on the heals of the Williams dust up
If you think he wanted Luka over Bagley based on a feeling, that is not a compelling argument. It is undeniable Fox is a better PG than Luka. It is undeniable Boggy does much of the same things Luka does. It is undeniable our coach is strong believer in these players. They are cornerstones. When you are a talent deficient team you cannot afford overlapping talent when lacking in other areas. That was my thought process at the time and that is the logical and pragmatic thought process I think the front office had. It would not bode well for Joerger simply in terms of his self-preservation if he had too many creators and not enough finishers. If Luka was 40% deep shooter and created more separation then it would have been a much tougher call. Then maybe you would project him as a 25 PPG scorer. That was no certainty though he has nice shot mechanics. The other variables that worked against him was he was a bit on the chubby side, and his size was closer to 6'6" than 6'9". The bottom line is the talent difference between Bagley and Luka was negligible at best. I think Bagley has more raw talent, Luka has more savvy and nuance to his game but that can change. You can make an emotional pre-draft case for Luka: charismatic, unassuming, storybook rise to prominence, movie star looks, but that is not how picks are made. At least I hope not. They are made based on reason and evidence. All this is to say Joerger did not have a compelling argument to prefer Luka over Bagley unless it was rooted in emotion over facts, and he's smarter than that.

If you think he wanted Luka over Bagley based on a feeling, that is not a compelling argument. It is undeniable Fox is a better PG than Luka. It is undeniable Boggy does much of the same things Luka does. It is undeniable our coach is strong believer in these players. They are cornerstones. When you are a talent deficient team you cannot afford overlapping talent when lacking in other areas. That was my thought process at the time and that is the logical and pragmatic thought process I think the front office had. It would not bode well for Joerger simply in terms of his self-preservation if he had too many creators and not enough finishers. If Luka was 40% deep shooter and created more separation then it would have been a much tougher call. Then maybe you would project him as a 25 PPG scorer. That was no certainty though he has nice shot mechanics. The other variables that worked against him was he was a bit on the chubby side, and his size was closer to 6'6" than 6'9". The bottom line is the talent difference between Bagley and Luka was negligible at best. I think Bagley has more raw talent, Luka has more savvy and nuance to his game but that can change. You can make an emotional pre-draft case for Luka: charismatic, unassuming, storybook rise to prominence, movie star looks, but that is not how picks are made. At least I hope not. They are made based on reason and evidence. All this is to say Joerger did not have a compelling argument to prefer Luka over Bagley unless it was rooted in emotion over facts, and he's smarter than that.
Ok

I don’t ever recall hearing anything negative or diva-ish about Bagley, but was his old man ever talked about as a potential problem?
Some players have helicopter dads, but they stay quiet with the exception of LaVar. Not sure if this would apply to Bagley Jr, there weren't any public rumblings in college. However, there was a controversy surrounding Bagley's family and Nike though. https://sports.yahoo.com/report-mar...cial-gains-fostering-nike-ties-003436661.html

Marvin Bagley Jr. and his wife filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in April 2008, during the Great Recession, listing their combined annual income at just over $44,000. Property records indicate the Bagley home was sold in 2011 at a trustee’s sale — typically a sign of a foreclosure.

Four years later, shortly after Nike’s sponsorship of the team became public, they left their working-class neighborhood in Phoenix for Southern California. In a tax filing, the Bagleys listed a home address in a gated subdivision in Northridge called Porter Ranch. Similarly sized homes in the vicinity typically sell for $750,000 to $1.5 million, said Jose Contreras, a Coldwell Banker real estate broker active in the area. Rents in the neighborhood range from $2,500 to $7,500 a month.
Oy Vey. If Bag's dad really meant to call him Coach Yogurt, that is incredibly stupid. If he is a terrible speller and got auto corrected he still shouldn't be calling out his son's coach! Unreal, what a complete tool.
During a post game interview Joerger accidentally called Bagley: Marvin Gaye, but quickly corrected himself. Bagley's dad posted that video on his instagram with the captions
"Have patience .... #BAGLEY #BAGLEY #BAGLEY @sacramentokings ‍♂️ #RESPECT IS DUE"
http://instagr.am/p/Bs4rbtEFmde/
Afterwards he proceeded to comment "Coach Yogurt" poking fun of Joerger on a Kings instagram video... and now we see it here again... but not much fun.

The only reason why I think this is relevant at all is because Bagley is the main reason between the FO and coaches. Bagley added fire to the fuel the other night with his instagram post...and now his dad won't shut up.

Last edited:
Some players have helicopter dads, but they stay quiet with the exception of LaVar. Not sure if this would apply to Bagley Jr, there weren't any public rumblings in college. However, there was a controversy surrounding Bagley's family and Nike though. https://sports.yahoo.com/report-mar...cial-gains-fostering-nike-ties-003436661.html

During a post game interview Joerger accidentally called Bagley: Marvin Gaye, but quickly corrected himself. Bagley's dad posted that video on his instagram with the captions
"Have patience .... #BAGLEY #BAGLEY #BAGLEY @sacramentokings ‍♂️ #RESPECT IS DUE"
http://instagr.am/p/Bs4rbtEFmde/
Afterwards he proceeded to comment "Coach Yogurt" poking fun of Joerger on a Kings instagram video... and now we see it here again... but not much fun.

The only reason why I think this is relevant at all is because Bagley is the main reason between the FO and coaches. Bagley added fire to the fuel the other night with his instagram post...and now his dad won't shut up.
This is what is wrong with social media these days.

I'm sure that a lot of previous lottery pick parents were very over zealous of their kids and their need to start and get a lot of PT. Before, parents were left to stew in the dark. Now with Twitter and Instagram, these parents are getting a platform to vent their frustrations about their son's playing time.

While it is annoying that Bagley's dad has gone to Instagram to vent his frustrations, I'm sure NBA parent's being frustrated is not a new phenomenon. Just an over zealous dad with a social media platform to vent. Either way, he's no where near the distraction that Lavar Ball is and was.

Last edited:
Completely unprofessional and ignorant from the Bagley camp. Bagley like most rookies have accomplished nothing for him to feel he has a right to disrespect coach like that. This is a product of prospects being coddled from an early age and having a false sense of entitlement AND a platform in social media. This cannot continue there needs to be a sit down and if everything can't be squashed he needs to be traded ASAP. Kings fans have been dragged through the mud long enough to have some rook and his dad take shots while cashing huge checks. I'll back Joerger over bags every time twice on Sunday's, get outa town with that bull and take Williams with you.

Completely unprofessional and ignorant from the Bagley camp. Bagley like most rookies have accomplished nothing for him to feel he has a right to disrespect coach like that. This is a product of prospects being coddled from an early age and having a false sense of entitlement AND a platform in social media. This cannot continue there needs to be a sit down and if everything can't be squashed he needs to be traded ASAP. Kings fans have been dragged through the mud long enough to have some rook and his dad take shots while cashing huge checks. I'll back Joerger over bags every time twice on Sunday's, get outa town with that bull and take Williams with you.
You don't trade a talent like Bagley because he has a frustrated dad and he wants to start and have major PT. While I agree there needs to be a conversation between the team and the Bagleys, let's not overreact on trading the young man.

These guys are competitors, I understand their frustrations. I would be more worried if they were fine with not starting and getting major PT.

In time Bagley will be starting, there is no denying that, and all the frustration from Bagley's camp will simmer down. It's just a matter of time and I think the Bagleys will be more than happy with the outcome by seasons end. I think Bagley will be starting for sure by the trade deadline and all should be well for all involved.

You don't trade a talent like Bagley because he has a frustrated dad and he wants to start and have major PT. While I agree there needs to be a conversation between the team and the Bagleys, let's not overreact on trading the young man.

These guys are competitors, I understand their frustrations. I would be more worried if they were fine with not starting and getting major PT.

In time Bagley will be starting, there is no denying that, and all the frustration from Bagley's camp will simmer down. It's just a matter of time and I think the Bagleys will be more than happy with the outcome by seasons end. I think Bagley will be starting for sure by the trade deadline and all should be well for all involved.
Of course he will be starting in due time but I'm totally against trying to force Joergers hand. He's the boss deal with it or kick rocks.

That escalated quickly. A father is not allowed to be passionate about his son? To want the best for him as he embarks this journey? Coach Yogurt gets paid handsomely to be immune to outside criticism and second guessing. That comes with the territory. Is Bagley's Dad being disrespectful? Yes. Does his disrespect mean the Kings should abandon their plans with Bagley as a cornerstone for the next decade? How thin-skinned and weak-minded would they be to do that? I would say to Bagley's Dad we appreciate your passion. We have a high opinion of your son too. That is why we drafted him. Yogurt has a fair amount of experience nurturing young talent to bring them along at the right pace to sustain and build confidence and their degree of responsibility on the floor. Is it possible Yogurt made a mistake and not played him more? Perhaps no one is perfect but Yogurt envisions great things for your son. We are on the same page with the same destination in mind. It is not unusual to have different ideas how to get there, what road to take, what speed is safest to travel. Be patient if you are able we appreciate your passion and support as your sons career blossoms. This is what you say more or less. It would be emotionally reactive and weak to do what you are suggesting. Thank goodness you are not in charge.

That escalated quickly. A father is not allowed to be passionate about his son? To want the best for him as he embarks this journey? Coach Yogurt gets paid handsomely to be immune to outside criticism and second guessing. That comes with the territory. Is Bagley's Dad being disrespectful? Yes. Does his disrespect mean the Kings should abandon their plans with Bagley as a cornerstone for the next decade? How thin-skinned and weak-minded would they be to do that? I would say to Bagley's Dad we appreciate your passion. We have a high opinion of your son too. That is why we drafted him. Yogurt has a fair amount of experience nurturing young talent to bring them along at the right pace to sustain and build confidence and their degree of responsibility on the floor. Is it possible Yogurt made a mistake and not played him more? Perhaps no one is perfect but Yogurt envisions great things for your son. We are on the same page with the same destination in mind. It is not unusual to have different ideas how to get there, what road to take, what speed is safest to travel. Be patient if you are able we appreciate your passion and support as your sons career blossoms. This is what you say more or less. It would be emotionally reactive and weak to do what you are suggesting. Thank goodness you are not in charge.
If I was "in charge" I would put Joerger "in charge" because he knows more basketball than anyone on this board and he's earned everything he's accomplished.

The only reason it is relevant is what? The reason this video is relevant is because it puts in context Bagley's Dad calling the coach "Yogurt". He was "clapping back". Yeah, yeah, I know it is petty and unnecessary, but maybe the Coach Yogurt should the learn the names of his players instead of thinking about mood music for Saturday night. ;)

If I was "in charge" I would put Joerger "in charge" because he knows more basketball than anyone on this board and he's earned everything he's accomplished.
He is in charge. What are you talking about? You said you would not stand for Bagley's "camp" being disrespectful and that if he did not bend to your tyrannical demands, shut up and behave more or less, you would ship him out of town. That is crazy. What you need to realize is that all the involved parties want the same thing, they want Marvin Gaye to be dominant, they just have different ideas how to get there. That is not a situation that creates irreconcilable differences, just bumps along the road. For a smoother ride, perhaps the coach should learn the names of his players.

This whole thread really did go sideways. It's supposed to be about Bagley starting.

I'll just say this in regards to his dad. His dad coached him and directed his AAU career to help him to get here. In competitive sports (I have a couple teens playing travel ball) it's a battle to make sure your kid is seen and given an opportunity. Some coach, some manipulate, some helicopter in an effort to watch over their kids well being. It's brutal. Marvin is 19. I'm sure his dad still thinks of Marvin as his little kid that he has to fight for. It will go away in time. Just like Lonzo's dad has relaxed a bit.

I hope Joerger isn't following Marvin's dad on Instagram or whatever, because the players are all he need to to focus on. If Marvin's dad is storming practices or confronting Joerger in person, then there is a problem. Social media? Let it go.