• A Christmas Carol

• Home Alone

• National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

• None of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So which one is your favorite? If yours isn't there, use the "none of the above" option and add your own. I'll readily admit I picked my favorites for the poll options. ;)

Unfortunately I voted before realizing that I left my glasses in the other room. I'd thought it was a list of reasons why we didn't get what we wanted for Christmas, so I voted "None of the above" since I'm happy with this year's haul. Obviously that affects the poll results, particularly if I'm not the only one. Therefore it's a good thing it's Christmas and nobody cares. Hope more than 50% of you got reasonably close to everything you wanted!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
OK, first and foremost, Die Hard is NOT a Christmas movie. It's a movie set at Christmas, and that's different. If the party bringing McClane back to L.A. had been a 4th of July BBQ rather than a Christmas party, the entire movie would have been exactly the same and nobody would have ever noticed. Literally zero people would have thought, "Wow, this movie should have been set at Christmas instead of Independence Day" in the same way that nobody anywhere ever thought Aliens or Jaws should have been set at Christmas. Not. A. Christmas. Movie.

I voted for Elf, which is a yearly staple for me as I roll our family's traditional Swedish meatballs.

That said, the best Christmas movie ever might actually be Scrooged, which is not on the list. A Christmas Story is great, but comes in third, largely because it is a long sequence of fantastic scenes but plotwise doesn't have much to offer.

OK, first and foremost, Die Hard is NOT a Christmas movie. It's a movie set at Christmas, and that's different. If the party bringing McClane back to L.A. had been a 4th of July BBQ rather than a Christmas party, the entire movie would have been exactly the same and nobody would have ever noticed. Literally zero people would have thought, "Wow, this movie should have been set at Christmas instead of Independence Day" in the same way that nobody anywhere ever thought Aliens or Jaws should have been set at Christmas. Not. A. Christmas. Movie.

I voted for Elf, which is a yearly staple for me as I roll our family's traditional Swedish meatballs.

That said, the best Christmas movie ever might actually be Scrooged, which is not on the list. A Christmas Story is great, but comes in third, largely because it is a long sequence of fantastic scenes but plotwise doesn't have much to offer.
Thanks for a great and will reasoned response. If I wasn't allergic to Will Farrell, I might have seen the movie and have something to add.

Actually, my greatest problem with saying something responsive is that my wife and I have another blockbuster going on, but we're the only 2 who have seen it. We got a cat, and not only is she delightful but she knows where to poop. That, needless to say, makes it much easier to enjoy the delightful part. So it's a blockbuster, but if there are more than 2 people, the cast runs and hides, and you have to wait until it restarts. Just as I was typing this, she came in and started attacking the scratching post that I bought in desperation 3 days ago and she's been ignoring ever since. So you never know what's going to happen next. I know rugs can't talk, but I'm sure they're cheering. So we even get those moments of incredible exhilaration that you go to blockbusters for. Eventually we'll once again consider entertainment that you have to go somewhere else to watch.

Die Hard isn't a Christmas movie because it occurs on Christmas, it's a Christmas movie because it's about a social obligation with a family member that you didn't want to participate in but spirals more and more into an unending nightmare.

I seem to be living in a sequel this year.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If I wasn't allergic to Will Farrell, I might have seen the movie and have something to add.
The funny thing is, in general, I don't like Will Ferrell. For the role in Elf, his acting style just works for me. Other roles, not so much.

I have the same kind of thing going with Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore. Not a big fan of either, and mostly a detractor of Sandler, but put them together in a movie and it's magic. I don't know what it is.