Chet Holmgren Watch

There is a new prototype basketball player on the scene.

We have not seen a player like him before. He can bring the ball up the court and lead fast breaks at over 7 feet. He already has 6 blocks in a game.
He needs to be more assertive, but his skill level is hard to fathom.

Watching him play is very interesting. Ok City Thunder.

He is extremely talented. But the questions about his size and frailty are legit. He has that Andrei Kirilenko versatility that could make him a 5 category superstar but he definitely needs a lot of protein shakes and heavy lifting sessions.

He was my #1 prospect for this draft based on talent. Scary talented!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
16/10/2 and a couple of blocks.

I meant to watch yesterday but got distracted by something else. Fascinating player, going to be very interesting to see him through the years.

16/10/2 and a couple of blocks.

I meant to watch yesterday but got distracted by something else. Fascinating player, going to be very interesting to see him through the years.
Yup. It kills me when I keep hearing people refer to him as a center. His position is unicorn.

There is a new prototype basketball player on the scene.

We have not seen a player like him before. He can bring the ball up the court and lead fast breaks at over 7 feet. He already has 6 blocks in a game.
He needs to be more assertive, but his skill level is hard to fathom.

Watching him play is very interesting. Ok City Thunder.
There's literally a guy like him that's played 2 years in the NBA and is 5 months older on the same team who is a better ball handler/playmaker worse shooter/shot blocker. But I do love Chet I really hope him and Poku develop and someone comes up with a clever nickname for them. It's time the skinny bro's got to dominate in something other than marathon running and tour de France.

He seems to take some plays off. He needs to be much more assertive. But the skill level is something new for a guy that long.
He seems to get the ball taken away a lot. Needs to work on hand strength, not to mention body strength.
Mentally he is pretty ready to play.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Man, he really doesn’t seem his whole height out there a lot of the time. I was both busy and forgetful yesterday so I didn’t see the whole game, but when I did watch I kept losing track of where Chet even was.

I did notice some very impressive playmaking though. A couple of his passes were special for a guy his size/position.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's literally a guy like him that's played 2 years in the NBA and is 5 months older on the same team who is a better ball handler/playmaker worse shooter/shot blocker. But I do love Chet I really hope him and Poku develop and someone comes up with a clever nickname for them. It's time the skinny bro's got to dominate in something other than marathon running and tour de France.
Yes and no. I like Poku, but two years in and no one is even sure if he's a legit NBA player. Holmgren definitely is, it's just a matter of how he'll be used.

But clearly if they play them at the same time the obvious nickname is "The Thin Towers" as a play on Hakeem Olajuwon and Ralph Sampson

Man, he really doesn’t seem his whole height out there a lot of the time. I was both busy and forgetful yesterday so I didn’t see the whole game, but when I did watch I kept losing track of where Chet even was.

I did notice some very impressive playmaking though. A couple of his passes were special for a guy his size/position.
That's probably because he's so skinny that he disappears when he turns sideways.

Yes and no. I like Poku, but two years in and no one is even sure if he's a legit NBA player. Holmgren definitely is, it's just a matter of how he'll be used.

But clearly if they play them at the same time the obvious nickname is "The Thin Towers" as a play on Hakeem Olajuwon and Ralph Sampson
If Holmgren sets a screen for Poku as the ball handler, then cuts to the basket - is it called a tooth-pick-n-roll?

Holmgren plays like he has something to prove. Mentally he is ready to compete and bang with people. You can make all the jokes you want, but he doesn't care. So far he plays with a small motor and that needs to change.

Most of the Summer League games make me sleepy. Too many no name wannabe NBA players. Murray and Holmgren are examples of two players worth watching. Often I just focus on them .

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Holmgren plays like he has something to prove. Mentally he is ready to compete and bang with people. You can make all the jokes you want, but he doesn't care. So far he plays with a small motor and that needs to change.

Most of the Summer League games make me sleepy. Too many no name wannabe NBA players. Murray and Holmgren are examples of two players worth watching. Often I just focus on them .
Then you have guys like Jared Roden who’s like the hyperactive kid on your little league basketball squad yelling KOBE and throwing up shots every time he touches the ball. How could you not focus on that?!

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
thanks hadn't seen the play only read about it. YIKES

hopefully just overly precautions. ligament damage on that?
Yeah, I'm honestly struggling trying to figure out how he got injured on that play. He's had harder landings in college and summer league and he didn't even seem to be going at full speed before actually acting injured.

Technically, a sprain counts as ligament damage but the way Shams is already framing this makes it sound like this injury is worse.

Yikes… concerns about that build coming to fact before his first preseason game. That’s rough.
Eh, not on a foot injury. However, that's always a danger with any big man. Usually it's the monster types you have to worry about though. If it's ligaments that's more of a freak thing and not nearly as bad as those bone/stress fracture issues like Yao or Big Z. Those will pretty much put your career in danger.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
And that might just put an end to these types of settings for franchise changers.
I think it's literally insane to have top picks and LeBrons in these things. But was it Magic or MJ (or both?) that insisted on a "love of the game" clause that allowed them to play in any pickup game they came across. Still dumb.