[Game] California Classic Day 2: Actual Kings Players vs San Antonio Spurs (Night game)

Was driving while the game was on with a
tantrum throwing toddler in the back seat so I didn’t get to really pay attention. How did Tall Jones and Big Craw look?

Was driving while the game was on with a
tantrum throwing toddler in the back seat so I didn’t get to really pay attention. How did Tall Jones and Big Craw look?
The "Tall Jones" made NBA official account to post a video of him, and retweet/quote it right after, so 7/7 is a special date until the next one that will happen (hopefully from November till May). No Bronny today to see him bouncing the ball for no reason.

Quick notes:

-I think Mason Jones is going to impact this season in some way. Whether he wins the 4th guard role with Carter out (and Huerter traded?)or later in the year with more injuries, he looks ready to be in an NBA rotation. Explosive, quick decision making, throwing dimes to set up his teammates, incredible feel for the floor and flow of the game.

-Crawford and Isaac Jones are freaking awesome 2-way bets to make. Summer league is always a tougher spot for defensive/lower USG type wings to thrive, but you see the vision there with them and what a ceiling outcome could be if they hit. Jones somehow just being a huge wing with insane wingspan is a super fun development. He plays incredibly hard, is a very fluid athlete, looks comfortable out there.

-Colby Jones doesn't look ready. He had a few great moments, but he's not popping off the screen like Keon or Mason Jones are. Hope his Vegas goes better because he looks like he might be falling down the depth chart if Mason Jones continues this run.

-Keon's a beast. Too good for these games, absolute terror on defense and is showing a real scoring package. 13 points without a 3 pointer is a great development; 5-6 FTA.

-Boogie Ellis might not be in our system for long. Or we might need to bump up Mason Jones to keep Boogie Ellis in Stockton. Dude's showing out these last few, excited to see what his Vegas performance can look like.

-Timme is just... fine. He knows how to play, he'll give you some good-great moments, but I really just don't see how he develops anything past an end of bench depth big.

Yeah I think he may get cut
I don't think he gets cut, but his play has been very underwhelming. However, he's the 2nd youngest player on either one of our SL teams. With his all-around skillset at 6'6, I think he's worth holding onto to see if things click for him. He really needs to find his 3pt shot if he wants any chance at cracking the rotation (looking extremely slim right now).

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
They converted Colby's contract to a big boy contract obviously that means nothing but I think that means he will get this year to make a leap and then get cut if he doesn't? or be deadline trade fodder?

With the Kings dire need for size in the front court, I could see Issac Jones making the team as a defensive 3/4/5, paving the way to give the other 2 way spot to Boogie Ellis.
He is so raw. I think they keep him in Stockton because he just needs games and coaching. The more minutes he gets to find a reliable 3 point shot the better.

On the broadcast they said that Colby has been working with a shooting coach. Sometimes things get worse before they get better. There might also be a mental component to his free throw shooting struggles.

I think he is worth the investment. He plays physically, has a great motor and a strong feel for the game. But I think he’s going to be in Stockton for most of the year working on his shot.

Boogie Ellis needs to work on staying in front of his defensive assignment.

Quick notes:

-I think Mason Jones is going to impact this season in some way. Whether he wins the 4th guard role with Carter out (and Huerter traded?)or later in the year with more injuries, he looks ready to be in an NBA rotation. Explosive, quick decision making, throwing dimes to set up his teammates, incredible feel for the floor and flow of the game.

-Crawford and Isaac Jones are freaking awesome 2-way bets to make. Summer league is always a tougher spot for defensive/lower USG type wings to thrive, but you see the vision there with them and what a ceiling outcome could be if they hit. Jones somehow just being a huge wing with insane wingspan is a super fun development. He plays incredibly hard, is a very fluid athlete, looks comfortable out there.

-Colby Jones doesn't look ready. He had a few great moments, but he's not popping off the screen like Keon or Mason Jones are. Hope his Vegas goes better because he looks like he might be falling down the depth chart if Mason Jones continues this run.

-Keon's a beast. Too good for these games, absolute terror on defense and is showing a real scoring package. 13 points without a 3 pointer is a great development; 5-6 FTA.

-Boogie Ellis might not be in our system for long. Or we might need to bump up Mason Jones to keep Boogie Ellis in Stockton. Dude's showing out these last few, excited to see what his Vegas performance can look like.

-Timme is just... fine. He knows how to play, he'll give you some good-great moments, but I really just don't see how he develops anything past an end of bench depth big.
I think Mason Jones has one of the purest shots in the Kings org and I don't see him being one of those guys that shoots 40%+ from 3 in the G league and then barely scrapes by 30% in the NBA because he doesn't seem like the type of guy who is all in his head when he's in the game. He's obviously having a lot of fun out there. Maybe too much fun. I could see him winding up on Shaqtin a fool a few times if he played big minutes. My only real concern with him is his defense. It looks pretty bad from the eye test and would probably wind up being the sole reason he doesn't see many NBA minutes.

Need to see more of Crawford and Isaac Jones. They've got some potential. Crawford doesn't really pop off the screen at all for me but that's also not necessarily what makes a player. I think Jones has one duty. Learn to shoot the 3 ball. If he does that, I think he's definitely going to be a solid 3&D role player. Problem is by looking at his college stats, that's a long shot for him.

Colby is frustrating because he has a lot of tools but he relies too much on floaters and awkward one handed shots in the paint. Stuff that you really don't want to rely on as your bread and butter. I'm a fan of his defensive game and really hope he can get better on offense because he has the ability to be a solid swiss army knife type player if it all comes together.

Boogie Ellis is intriguing for sure. Reminds me of microwave TD when TD was cooking. Doesn't have the greatest defensive skills but he puts in the effort. Obviously fearless on the offensive end. It'll be interesting to see if he's just on a hot streak or if this is just how he is. In college he was a real solid 3pt shooter but very inefficient from inside the arc.

I haven't been impressed with Timme at all. He's like a poor man's Cooley out there. The backup C (Acua something?) seems to be much more effective and all he's doing is rim running and rebounding.