Buddy or TD?

Today's Bee article says TD will be a RFA and is seeking a 9M per yr contract

So if Buddy is not traded by draft Day, and he is not traded before TD gets an offer sheet

Do we match TD's offer sheet and pay 9 M for our 3rd SG?

I am ok with keeping TD as plan B, if Buddy gets traded

Of course if we end up with a SG in the draft, that makes 4 SGs

So who do we want behind Hali? Buddy,TD or #9 ?

My vote is to trade Buddy, Keep TD, use#9 on SF

Maybe trade Buddy to Pels for Steven Adams #35

Why for Pels? rumored to want to trade #10 for Vet player, this way they get to keep #10 and still get vet player

Why for Kings? We need a full sized starting C, and I like 9m for TD as our #2 SG vs 22m for Buddy

Fox,Wright
Hali,TD
Barnes, #9 Wagner
Bagley,Metu
Adams, Jones

Plus #35,#39

Last edited:
Today's Bee article says TD will be a RFA and is seeking a 9M per yr contract

So if Buddy is not traded by draft Day, and he is not traded before TD gets an offer sheet

Do we match TD's offer sheet and pay 9 M for our 3rd SG?

I am ok with keeping TD as plan B, if Buddy gets traded

Of course if we end up with a SG in the draft, that makes 4 SGs

So who do we want behind Hali? Buddy,TD or #9 ?

My vote is to trade Buddy, Keep TD, use#9 on SF
Depends on what is coming back from Buddy. Depending on the return possibly neither player. Since the draft is first, that would also play into the equation. Wouldn't mind Buddy traded for another pick(s).

Maybe trade Buddy to Pels for Steven Adams #35

Why for Pels? rumored to want to trade #10 for Vet player, this way they get to keep #10 and still get vet player

Why for Kings? We need a full sized starting C, and I like 9m for TD as our #2 SG vs 22m for Buddy
If they view Adams as a negative contract, Buddy for 10 and Adams to match salary. As others have said, Buddy would fill in nice there. Don't know how the history of Buddy and the Pelicans would play into it.

Personally, I prefer TD to Buddy. His shooting is inconsistent, but I think that has more to do with shot selection and getting squared up (both these you can correct). I really love the defense and toughness that he brings.

If they view Adams as a negative contract, Buddy for 10 and Adams to match salary. As others have said, Buddy would fill in nice there. Don't know how the history of Buddy and the Pelicans would play into it.
If both Buddy and Adams are viewed as neg contracts, I don't think we could get Pels#10
But I think it could work to balance both teams rosters

If both Buddy and Adams are viewed as neg contracts, I don't think we could get Pels#10
But I think it could work to balance both teams rosters
You are probably right but do they need three point shooting more than we need a big Big. The Kings don't want to just necessarily give away that particular skill set for nothing. I'm not sure the 2nd would be enough to offset the difference in value for skill sets.

Not sure what we could add to get pels#10 this year

Pels have a ton of seconds next two years

Maybe a top ten protected 2023 1st , Buddy for Adams and #10

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Yeah, no surprise that TD plans to reject the QO. Anderson suggests we would have to use the MLE to sign him, but we have Early Bird rights and can use that and keep the MLE for another team's free agent(s). Early Bird will definitely cover a contract starting at $9M...but I'm not sure Davis will get that offer. If he does, more power to him.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'd let him go out and sign a contract offer, decide to match or not. No way I offer 9 mil on my own.
Absolutely. And that's the beauty of restricted free agency. It prevents a team from bidding against themselves on their own free agent. (You can still end up bidding against yourself on somebody else's free agent, but hey, that's the risk.)

We really don't know what we have in TD. His metrics are kind of all over the place and so was his play on the court. Sometimes he looked like a G Leaguer and other times he looked like BJax out there. The market will dictate what he gets paid and I have a feeling it wont be 9mil.

Restricted free agency saved us from getting Otto Porter Jr a few years back. Thank god the Wiz matched that offer.

By the way, isn't Porter a free agent now? Might be worth giving him a look now that he's in the clearance section.

We really don't know what we have in TD. His metrics are kind of all over the place and so was his play on the court. Sometimes he looked like a G Leaguer and other times he looked like BJax out there. The market will dictate what he gets paid and I have a feeling it wont be 9mil.

Restricted free agency saved us from getting Otto Porter Jr a few years back. Thank god the Wiz matched that offer.

By the way, isn't Porter a free agent now? Might be worth giving him a look now that he's in the clearance section.
I'd love Porter on the MLE. He's still an actually good 3/4 flex (although mostly just a small-ball 4 now) and the only reason he'd even be in the MLE price range is his health. Absolutely worth a gamble for a team like us.

Finish that off with Moody or Wagner in the draft, keep Holmes and TD and all of a sudden you've prioritized modern basketball and are investing in big wings:

Fox || Wright
Hali || TD || Ramsey
Barnes || Wagner/Moody || Woodard
Porter || Bagley || Metu
Holmes || Jones

That also gives you the ability to shop Buddy around for potential draft capital or even someone like Steven Adams (if Holmes ends up not resigning).

Last edited:
This is rule number 5,000,000 why you don't pick up young players on the last year of their deal and totally showcase them. Thanks Luke. The only players he showcases effectively are role players and usually ones on the last year of their deal.

I'd love Porter on the MLE. He's still an actually good 3/4 flex (although mostly just a small-ball 4 now) and the only reason he'd even be in the MLE price range is his health. Absolutely worth a gamble for a team like us.

Finish that off with Moody or Wagner in the draft, keep Holmes and TD and all of a sudden you've prioritized modern basketball and are investing in big wings:

Fox || Wright
Hali || TD || Ramsey
Barnes || Wagner/Moody || Woodard
Porter || Bagley || Metu
Holmes || Jones

That also gives you the ability to shop Buddy around for potential draft capital or even someone like Steven Adams (if Holmes ends up not resigning).
I’d like to see that team next year. Would insure that it’ll be Walton’s last as head coach.

I don't think TD gets anywhere near $9 million a year this summer. Didn't Monte get TD for peanuts because he had some off the court domestic issues in the first place?

Teams do their homework and I don't think any team is going to throw that type of money at TD until he shows some playing consistency and that he's a good character off the court. I would try and get him re-signed in the $3-4 million per year range.

Last edited:
I don't think TD gets anywhere near $9 million a year this summer. Didn't Monte get TD for peanuts because he had some off the court domestic issues in the first place?

Teams do their homework and I don't think any team is going to throw that type of money at TD until he shows some playing consistency and that he's a good character off the court. I would try and get him re-signed in the $3-4 million per year range.
I'm with you. No way he gets close to 9M a year. If he does, great for him and I wish him well. I just don't see any team offering close to that.