Kings/Bucks trade

if the Bucks lose in decisive fashion to the Suns, can they run it back with the same squad? If they lose 4-1 or 4-2 I’d assume Coach Bud gets canned and they hope a new voice can get them over the top. If they decide to trade someone, who would it be? Not Giannis. Probably not Holiday since his contract is pretty big and his return probably wouldn’t be enough. They have no draft capital so to me the most likely candidate to be traded is Middleton. The problem is you aren’t going to get a better player back in return. Instead, you would need to look for depth, shooting, draft capital and future financial flexibility.

Bucks trade Kris Middleton and filler

Kings trade Harrison Barnes, Buddy Hield, #9, #36 and a 2023 first round pick.

Why for the Bucks? Do the Bucks think they will get past the Nets next year if they are healthy and have had time to gel? If not they have to think about the longer view. How do they improve the roster with no draft capital or cap space? Buddy and Black Falcon give the Bucks 30+ points a game with fantastic 3 point shooting. Putting Buddy next to Holiday likely helps him significantly. They restock their assets with 3 picks and open up significant cap space when Barnes comes off the books. They could then take a run at one of the premium free agents.

why for the Kings? Most people would see Middleton as the third best player on a championship caliber team. A trio of Fox, Hali and Middleton is enough to make the playoffs.

This is moot if the Bucks win the chip this year or go to a game 7. It’s probably moot anyway :D

Last edited:
I would do it for sure BUT there is no way, after how he played in the ECF, that Middleton will be moved for anything less than a superstar. I just dont see it happening with this package. Maybe if you throw next years pick in too, but i doubt it. He is a top 10 two way player in the league in my opinion. You need more than buddy, barnes and 9th to get that done.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Middleton can create his own shot which takes some pressure off Giannis. Acquiring Hield and Barnes doesn't do much for them in terms of shot creation and Giannis would be put in a bad situation having to create for Buddy and the rest of the squad. I say Bucks keep their trio and improve that bench

I would do it for sure BUT there is no way, after how he played in the ECF, that Middleton will be moved for anything less than a superstar. I just dont see it happening with this package. Maybe if you throw next years pick in too, but i doubt it. He is a top 10 two way player in the league in my opinion. You need more than buddy, barnes and 9th to get that done.
I agree but what team is trading their superstar for Khris? My angle is if the Bucks get pounded by the Suns this year they might have a hard time rolling out the same lineup next season. This trade gets them 3 draft assets and cap flexibility in a couple years to swing for a bigger fish. They have traded away seemingly all of their eligible draft picks and are going to be capped out around GF, Khris and Jrue for the next 3-4 years.

Middleton can create his own shot which takes some pressure off Giannis. Acquiring Hield and Barnes doesn't do much for them in terms of shot creation and Giannis would be put in a bad situation having to create for Buddy and the rest of the squad. I say Bucks keep their trio and improve that bench
that’s the likely scenerio for sure I just don’t see a clear path for them to get a championship with the current squad unless they can pull it off this year. This is the season they will look back on forever if they can’t take the crown.

Giving up too much from the Kings perspective. That's top 10-15-ish level package: 2 starters/2 1st round picks/1 high 2nd round pick. I love Middleton, but I think his salary is prohibitive to building a long-term winner when your team doesn't already have a Giannis on it. Like that's what I'd expect the Simmons deal to look like.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
that’s the likely scenerio for sure I just don’t see a clear path for them to get a championship with the current squad unless they can pull it off this year. This is the season they will look back on forever if they can’t take the crown.
unless the Nets get injured again, you may be right and their window is very narrow to win that ship with Giannis

Giving up too much from the Kings perspective. That's top 10-15-ish level package: 2 starters/2 1st round picks/1 high 2nd round pick. I love Middleton, but I think his salary is prohibitive to building a long-term winner when your team doesn't already have a Giannis on it. Like that's what I'd expect the Simmons deal to look like.
Possibly but the Bucks gave up Bledsoe, 3 first rounders and 2 pick swaps for Jrue. We are talking about a guy who plays a coveted position, is signed long term and is in his prime. I'll agree his contract is problematic which is why the Bucks may need to try and move him at some point. It's certainly a risk for the Kings too but Tinker Mcnair has to do something bold at some point.