Buddy Hield

Yeah its odd but I don't think its that relevant. Age is mostly important to assess "upside" (whatever that is) in young players. Buddy Hield was always a late bloomer. His development path is non-traditional.
What matters more is that after spending a few years in the league improving each year, he is a 20 ppg scorer now and whether he turned 25 or 26 seems not that important.

Further, If you followed Kings coverage very closely, this is not surprising. I think it was last year that Grant congratulated Buddy on his 24th birthday with Buddy replying that he is 25. But no Sac reporter picked that up and reported it.

Buddy has been great this year and had a nice year last year. Its a story, it's not knocking him it's just surprising to me. The Kings media guide as well as the NBA had is age listed wrong. Have you read the whole thread? There is a post from Monday wishing him a happy 25 bday liked by 6 people. Its surprising. It doesn't seem surprising to you?

Buddy has been great this year and had a nice year last year. Its a story, it's not knocking him it's just surprising to me. The Kings media guide as well as the NBA had is age listed wrong. Have you read the whole thread? There is a post from Monday wishing him a happy 25 bday liked by 6 people. Its surprising. It doesn't seem surprising to you?
Thank you for expressing your surprise. I don’t give a chit, myself. A non-story, all things considered.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Thanks for expressing you don't give a chit. The fact is it's a story whether you like it or not
It's really only a big deal if he was trying to hide his age, which, by all accounts, he was not. Vlade and Peja knew his age. It appears that he has publicly tried to correct the record before, and he has now again publicly corrected the record.

So is the real story here that the Kings media guide and Wikipedia got it wrong? All right. Excuse me while I go shine some pennies.

Does this mean that Coach Joeger needs to put Buddy out to pasture with the other vets, like ZBo?!?!?! :p

This actually puts him in the same age as Bogdan, at 26 years old.

I wonder how this will factor in when he hits free agency in a couple of years.

Last edited:
I read the story....

You said it was known.I'll ask again; By-whom? Buddy and his Mom, and who else??? I'm someone who pays very close attention to the NBA draft since the mid-2000's, I was tracking buddy's progress as a Sophomore and Junior before his stock blew up, the way you make it sound, it's like revisionists history IMO.

If it was known Buddy was that old, it have been a bigger story... To talk like it was common knowledge that buddy was almost 5 full years older than Brandon Ingram is simply not what I remember, because it's not how it went down.. I'm a stickler for the age thing too. There's constantly absurd age discrepancies with these top ranked players, 17 year old sophomores, 18 year old juniors and even sometimes a 20 year old senior...

Furthermore I definitely don't believe that Oklahoma has nothing to do with it. Of course they did.

"Always follow the money"

It's really only a big deal if he was trying to hide his age, which, by all accounts, he was not. Vlade and Peja knew his age. It appears that he has publicly tried to correct the record before, and he has now again publicly corrected the record.

So is the real story here that the Kings media guide and Wikipedia got it wrong? All right. Excuse me while I go shine some pennies.
Of course he was well aware the age being listed for him everywhere was false but it worked in his favor so he kept his mouth shut about it...

In the documentary (Dis)honesty; the truth about lies, there's a study shown which demonstrates how people lie at extraordinary rates when it stands to benefit them, and this is that...

The real story is he pulled a fast one on everyone at the time of the draft and no one picked it up..... and that he was almost 20 years old when he was a HS senior.... I graduated HS at 17 so I personally always thought it was in poor taste to have 19 year olds galavanting around like HS seniors, In the case of Buddy it worked out for the best, but I can drop 100 names off the top of my head where this type of thing did the kid no favors, it's just not fair competition either at the end of the day.

I read the story....

You said it was known.I'll ask again; By-whom? Buddy and his Mom, and who else??? I'm someone who pays very close attention to the NBA draft since the mid-2000's, I was tracking buddy's progress as a Sophomore and Junior before his stock blew up, the way you make it sound, it's like revisionists history IMO.

If it was known Buddy was that old, it have been a bigger story... To talk like it was common knowledge that buddy was almost 5 full years older than Brandon Ingram is simply not what I remember, because it's not how it went down.. I'm a stickler for the age thing too. There's constantly absurd age discrepancies with these top ranked players, 17 year old sophomores, 18 year old juniors and even sometimes a 20 year old senior...

Furthermore I definitely don't believe that Oklahoma has nothing to do with it. Of course they did.

"Always follow the money"
It was known he was a 23 year old senior. Not sure why this is surprising to people. I dont even follow college basketball all that much and knew about it. It was one of the reasons I lowered him on my draft wishes. I though his shooting would have helped Cuz.

Last edited:
It was known he was a 23 year old senior. Not sure why this is surprising to people. I dont even follow college basketball all that much and knew about it. It was one of the reasons I lowered him on my draft wishes. I though his shooting would have helped Cuz.

Here ya go, Bajaden to the rescue from Jan 1 2016.

https://community.kingsfans.com/threads/players-to-watch-2015-16-college-season.63268/
U are proving my point for me. Thanks I guess. In that post Baja says "Just turned 22 years old"... Bingo... Yahtzee.. Do the Math. That comment was made weeks after he turned 23....

I think I recall that being public knowledge back then too (but not 100% sure). Also, one of the reasons Buddy droped on my draft board that year was his age.

Maybe people just forgot how to add, once Buddy got to the NBA. :rolleyes:

FYI. Draftexpress.com, which is no longer updated, has Buddy listed at 26 years old.

Last edited:
I mean it’s a slight negative to have your second best player just add a year. He’s a top worker so let’s hope his conditioning will allow him a lengthy career

Last time I trust Bajaden with math, must have broke his abacus.
Ultimately it means very little to the Kings, in fact the Kings might be able to get a discount on Buddy in his 3rd contract because he'll be old and grey by NBA standards by then.

Whats funny is there is some historical precedent here, seeing as Buddy was a lottery pick, if you go back and look at many of the oldest players drafted in the lottery since lets say Moutoumbo in '91, it's pretty much a whole lot of guys with questionable ages... Yi Jianlian, Bismack Biyombo, maybe even Thon Maker, and now Buddy...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So this age thing is gonna keep being the focus of attention? Wow.

I was pretty critical of Buddy for a while but it was never about his age. What I see on the court is all that matters. The rest is just silly IMHO.

So this age thing is gonna keep being the focus of attention? Wow.

I was pretty critical of Buddy for a while but it was never about his age. What I see on the court is all that matters. The rest is just silly IMHO.
It's a bizarre story but the way it's covered is flat out wrong, the individual is not really the story here, he's just one of a long string of players, the broken system is really the story.....

The NBA one-and-done rule and some of the other draft eligibility rules has created an environment of amateurs being 17 years old in their sophomore year of HS and absurd things of that nature. Players are positioning themselves for potential loopholes earlier than ever. The rules don't even accomplish what they set out to accomplish in the first place... It's all smoke and mirrors, and especially for kids like Buddy who are imports (see the Thon Maker eligibility case.....)

If buddy stayed in the Bahamas his first year of NBA draft eligibility SHOULD'VE been all the way back in 2011......... His last year of draft eligibility would've been in 2014... instead he was the first guard selected in 2016.. How and why that is, is worth delving into tbh, but it's not about the individual, it's about the broken system....

His age is a major outlier, a lot of draft talk has to do with comparative analysis, and Buddy is just on a completely different timeline than his peers from that draft..

It's a bizarre story but the way it's covered is flat out wrong, the individual is not really the story here, he's just one of a long string of players, the broken system is really the story.....

The NBA one-and-done rule and some of the other draft eligibility rules has created an environment of amateurs being 17 years old in their sophomore year of HS and absurd things of that nature. Players are positioning themselves for potential loopholes earlier than ever. The rules don't even accomplish what they set out to accomplish in the first place... It's all smoke and mirrors, and especially for kids like Buddy who are imports (see the Thon Maker eligibility case.....)

If buddy stayed in the Bahamas his first year of NBA draft eligibility SHOULD'VE been all the way back in 2011......... His last year of draft eligibility would've been in 2014... instead he was the first guard selected in 2016.. How and why that is, is worth delving into tbh, but it's not about the individual, it's about the broken system....

His age is a major outlier, a lot of draft talk has to do with comparative analysis, and Buddy is just on a completely different timeline than his peers from that draft..
If your going to make assumptions about draft status and rules violation you need to cite the rules.