Buddy Hield

Buddy is having a fantastic year. But, He's not Elite. Until, he can take over games against the league's Best teams, No. His D is average to poor and his handles are still not that great.

Lillard scored 22 in the third 3rd qtr alone last night. He does that stuff all the time. That's Special.
I am yet to see Hield even break 30 in a game. Harden is another example.

Buddy is having a fantastic year. But, He's not Elite. Until, he can take over games against the league's Best teams, No. His D is average to poor and his handles are still not that great.

Lillard scored 22 in the third 3rd qtr alone last night. He does that stuff all the time. That's Special.

Joerger doesn't really coach his teams for individual game explosions. Look at Skal last year. There were 2 games where he could have gone for 30-40 only to see his minutes crunched after half. Buddy also isn't selfish and his role isn't to hog the ball or continuously look for contact as a volume scorer like Lillard. He's a catch and shoot player. Again, he reminds me a bit of Peja in how the operate. On another team in another system I can easily see him having a 50 point game by now. And his defense isn't too shabby BTW. He can get into people and plays with physicality.

Buddy is a budding star in my opinion, especially given the improvements he made on the defensive end and with his playmaking. He is a tireless worker as well so we have not seen peak Buddy yet.

Star at 26? He's improved his game. Star Quality is proving it against the League's best. He has Not done this. I have not seen him score over 30. I am not discounting how important his progression has been. But, I don't think he will ever make an All Star game in the West. Kings are a fringe Playoff team.

Their are too many amazing guards in the West. If CJ Mccolloum can't get in, no way Hield is. Fox should get in. But, No way The NBA committee is putting Hield and Fox in.

Not with Curry, Harden, Paul, Lillard, Klay, Derozen, and Westbrook all guaranteed a spot.
Joerger doesn't really coach his teams for individual game explosions. Look at Skal last year. There were 2 games where he could have gone for 30-40 only to see his minutes crunched after half. Buddy also isn't selfish and his role isn't to hog the ball or continuously look for contact as a volume scorer like Lillard. He's a catch and shoot player. Again, he reminds me a bit of Peja in how the operate. On another team in another system I can easily see him having a 50 point game by now. And his defense isn't too shabby BTW. He can get into people and plays with physicality.

Individual game explosions? Skal? Sorry, you lost me on both. Good Coaches play Star players Max minutes, SKal is a G league player. Elite players take over when they have too.
He's not Elite. Not one coach, executive or anyone that knows basketball will disagree.

You speak as if Joerger is Popovich. Hield is having a nice 25 games. Let me stress 25 games. Not season, not seasons. He's improved his game. I will leave it at that.

When I see Hield take over a game against the Best teams consistently, then I will put him in that category.

Star at 26? He's improved his game. Star Quality is proving it against the League's best. He has Not done this. I have not seen him score over 30. I am not discounting how important his progression has been. But, I don't think he will ever make an All Star game in the West. Kings are a fringe Playoff team.

Their are too many amazing guards in the West. If CJ Mccolloum can't get in, no way Hield is. Fox should get in. But, No way The NBA committee is putting Hield and Fox in.

Not with Curry, Harden, Paul, Lillard, Klay, Derozen, and Westbrook all guaranteed a spot.

Individual game explosions? Skal? Sorry, you lost me on both. Good Coaches play Star players Max minutes, SKal is a G league player. Elite players take over when they have too.
He's not Elite. Not one coach, executive or anyone that knows basketball will disagree.

You speak as if Joerger is Popovich. Hield is having a nice 25 games. Let me stress 25 games. Not season, not seasons. He's improved his game. I will leave it at that.

When I see Hield take over a game against the Best teams consistently, then I will put him in that category.
Unless the fans vote Paul in he really isnt deserving.
If you look at shooting guards Buddy is top 5 in the west and arguably top 3.

No one has even said that Hield is elite. One poster said he has an elite shot, but that's it. No one has said he's as good as Lillard or Harden either. He's just a really solid player and the fans are happy about that. I'm not really sure what point you're trying to argue against.

Hield is the #1 option on the team right now averaging 19 a game. He's much closer to his ceiling than Fox and Bagley are. If Hield is the same player in 2 years that he is right now and he's still the #1 option, that's not Hield's fault. That's on the other players for not upping their games. Hield will more than likely never be the #1 option on a perennial playoff team but he's a damn good 2nd or 3rd option. If we're 2 years down the road and Fox and Bagley are the top scoring options with Hield the 3rd, this team is going to be a force to be reckoned with.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

Hield won't be a star player because his suspect handles and his lack of getting to the line but that doesn't mean he isn't a valuable core player for this team moving forward as long as Fox & Bagley become the stars of the team.

Apparently you don't recognize that Buddy has been consistently improving, including in those areas that you seem to have an unchanging 2-yr old picture of in your brain.
lol i know man but you gotta just give every one space around here or it'll drive you nuts. this board builds character. haha

Buddy is a potential superstar and people are starting to recognize it. Rate of improvement is off the charts and has not topped out his skills either. national types are ALREADY talking about us have the best backcourt in the league. It will be plainly obvious that by the end of the year we do. And get this: they still won't even be close to done improving. People are scared.

I was all for trading Buddy last season and prior to this season but he's been terrific this year, the guy competes and other than a few of his bad hand's errors stays within himself and plays the right way, he's also a near perfect fit next to Fox which basically makes him and Bagley worth even more since imo we are building around Fox.

It was a pretty easy walk through. Two games last year where he went off in the first half and didn't play much after. If he did you would have seen a much bigger result individually. The comment that something about Buddy not having a 30 point game. Taking situation and usage out is the same thing that got everyone in the mindset that this team had little talent on it and Fox wasn't a good prospect last year. Wrong, wrong, and wrong again.

Yea I've gotta say I've seen some negativity around here regarding Hield. Some of it is warranted, like his issues on defense. But he is turning into an elite scorer now, if not already. Every time I check the stats this guy is putting up double digit points, usually 20+.

Not only that, he's shooting very efficiently for a guard. Where would we be without his scoring? Shumpert provides value on D but his offense is a non-factor. Jackson has been playing better but he's nowhere near the offensive threat that Hield is. Bogdan is already taking a lot of shots as is, and his efficiency needs improvement. I just don't see anyone capable enough to replace the points we get from Hield.

I really like him. He's got his negatives but overall he's a scoring machine. He's exceeding my expectations at least.

Last edited:
Buddy works harder then anyone bar shump on defense in our squad.

He is an underrated defender who doesnt let up on that end of the floor.

We're not built around a singular player taking over on offense. That isnt our system nor will be it be. We are well oiled machine with multiple parts who interlink and leverage each other to compete at a high level. Buddy fits perfectly and plays his position to a tee.

What!?! Should have said he was 23.
He was months away from turning 24 at the time of the draft, it's obvious how that error originated..

It all worked out for the best for Buddy though if you've got everyone fooled idk why you'd reveal this now... I remember thinking Buddy was pretty good after his Junior year, and looking up his age and thinking he was gonna declare, if his real age was known then it'd been even more precarious of a bet...

Also I'm a big hater of the NBA draft eligibility rules in general, they are flimsy, this means that in 2016 when the international eligibility window was between 1994 and 1997, that Buddy born in 1992 was selected because he went to college.

He was months away from turning 24 at the time of the draft, it's obvious how that error originated..

It all worked out for the best for Buddy though if you've got everyone fooled idk why you'd reveal this now... I remember thinking Buddy was pretty good after his Junior year, and looking up his age and thinking he was gonna declare, if his real age was known then it'd been even more precarious of a bet...

Also I'm a big hater of the NBA draft eligibility rules in general, they are flimsy, this means that in 2016 when the international eligibility window was between 1994 and 1997, that Buddy born in 1992 was selected because he went to college.
Draft is in June, Birthday is in December. That's 6 months. It was known he was 23 when he was drafted.

If it was known by who? a select few people...

https://www.nba.com/kings/roster/buddy-hield -dob listed at 1993... ESPN, Yahoo, Basketball-Reference all have him listed at 1993..
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/k...25-kings-guard-reveals-age-incorrectly-listed
“That’s their fault, not my fault,” Hield said when asked why everywhere, including the NBA’s website, has him listed as 25. “The first time I saw it on Wikipedia, my mom said, ‘Why do they have your age wrong?’ I said, ‘I have no idea.’ ”
“I came over with a passport,” Hield said. “My passport has 1992 on it. My driver's license has 1992 on it. I just think people got their information from Wikipedia or wherever, and they just went with it. They just got it wrong.”
Hield said he believes the University of Oklahoma, where he played college basketball, had his age correct and that, somewhere along the way, a mistake was made in inputting his age into the NBA’s system.

Why? He’s a year older than everyone thought. You don’t find that odd?
Yeah its odd but I don't think its that relevant. Age is mostly important to assess "upside" (whatever that is) in young players. Buddy Hield was always a late bloomer. His development path is non-traditional.
What matters more is that after spending a few years in the league improving each year, he is a 20 ppg scorer now and whether he turned 25 or 26 seems not that important.

Further, If you followed Kings coverage very closely, this is not surprising. I think it was last year that Grant congratulated Buddy on his 24th birthday with Buddy replying that he is 25. But no Sac reporter picked that up and reported it.