Buddy and Bogdan’s extension?

Entity

Hall of Famer
Will the Kings extend Buddy this year or next offseason? Bogi has same situation with his contract. If so what do you guys think the length and amount will be for each?
I think buddy will be 5 years 100 mil
Bogi at 5 years 68 mil
The last year of Barnes contract I think we will see this
Barnes 18 mil
Fox 27 mil
Buddy 20 mil
Bogi 15 mil
Bagley 30 mil
Giles 20 mil
The cap will be 130 and we will have 120 tied up in those 6 players

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
100 million for Buddy is a bit too much but then I see Barnes making 85, Tobias 180 and Adams 100. With that said, I'd wait until the season to extend Buddy, need to see him elevate his game and get to the line more, he said his goal is to shoot at least 5 FT's a game, let's see what happens.

I would be OK with $20-25 mill. a year if we have to in order toe extend Buddy.

Bogdan is likely in the $15-20 mill. range. Some people think we should let him play out the season and then decide if we want to re-sign him but I think we don’t have his bird rights. That would make things tricky as you can either choose to extend him now and risk him becoming an overpaid contract, or ket the season play out and potentially let him walk in free agency.

I would extend him now, I see him as a great 6th man.

Buddy I would
I would give Buddy 100M 4 year today.

And trade Bogi.
Bogi and Buddy will turn 30 during their next contracts, so what you see is what you get. Buddy looks like a tier below allstar, so if he takes another step to start the year that's approaching max contract production.

If they can work out a discounted extension on Bogi, say 3/40 like Dedmon, then do it. I don't think it's likely.
Otherwise, you play out the season with him and see what the market gives. Giving big extensions to your bench players isn't the path to success.

Will the Kings extend Buddy this year or next offseason? Bogi has same situation with his contract. If so what do you guys think the length and amount will be for each?
I think buddy will be 5 years 100 mil
Bogi at 5 years 68 mil
The last year of Barnes contract I think we will see this
Barnes 18 mil
Fox 27 mil
Buddy 20 mil
Bogi 15 mil
Bagley 30 mil
Giles 20 mil
The cap will be 130 and we will have 120 tied up in those 6 players
Your figures are too low..except for Giles. 20mpy? jeeez.

Buddy is going to get the max out in FA. 5 year $100million would be a complete rip off for Hield. I believe in FA, the max would be around 4 years $120million.

For Bogdan, it really depends on how he plays next year. At minimum, I think he gets 4 years $60million.

Yeah, do NOT let Buddy hit RFA. It will cost us a year of his prime and be max price. Next year’s FA class is trash. That Murray contract is a gut punch. I’d be ecstatic with 125/5 at this point. I’d let Bogdan hit RFA and match. Bogi will probably be most attractive to contenders, and they won’t have much space next summer.

Yeah, do NOT let Buddy hit RFA. It will cost us a year of his prime and be max price. Next year’s FA class is trash. That Murray contract is a gut punch. I’d be ecstatic with 125/5 at this point. I’d let Bogdan hit RFA and match. Bogi will probably be most attractive to contenders, and they won’t have much space next summer.
Murray's contract was given very prematurely, but I think he's worth it. He's extremely young and helped them become the 2nd seed in the West. Murray is 22, while Buddy turns 27 in December. That age gap is very real, although it's a lot closer to 4 years than 5 lol.

I think Murray has better value than Buddy. I expect max offers for Buddy in FA, but I wouldn't expect the Kings to offer him the 5 year max like Murray. People really downplay Buddy's age, but Murray being only 22 and already a fringe AS, really sets the Nuggets up nicely for the future.

There's no way Buddy gets anything less than $20M per year. With the way money has been handed out like candy on Halloween, he will easily be at or above that. I think he's worth it. He has his off days but overall he's a sharpshooter and I think he can hit 25-30 PPG. Not to mention, he's just a really, really great teammate and hard worker. That goes a long way for me and probably the FO.

Bogi on the other hand...I see some people saying he's a $15M+ player. I could see him getting something like that but I hope it's not from us. The value isn't there. Even if he improves this year from that bad performance last year, he'd still be a 6th man and we are going to have other guys that need to get paid soon enough. I'd be open to a lesser deal, maybe something in the $10M range, but nothing more.

If we are not going to use cap space, we should offer Buddy an extension. If we are going to use it, we don't. Offering Bogi an extension doesn't affect cap space because his max extension is less than his cap hold.

Murray's contract was given very prematurely, but I think he's worth it. He's extremely young and helped them become the 2nd seed in the West. Murray is 22, while Buddy turns 27 in December. That age gap is very real, although it's a lot closer to 4 years than 5 lol.

I think Murray has better value than Buddy. I expect max offers for Buddy in FA, but I wouldn't expect the Kings to offer him the 5 year max like Murray. People really downplay Buddy's age, but Murray being only 22 and already a fringe AS, really sets the Nuggets up nicely for the future.
His age is not being downplayed he's 26 years old with plenty of prime years left.

His age is not being downplayed he's 26 years old with plenty of prime years left.
I'm talking about when people compare Jamaal Murray to Buddy Hield. Murray's age is a huge advantage for him.

Old man Buddy needs the rest of his younger teammates to reach their prime though

I'm talking about when people compare Jamaal Murray to Buddy Hield. Murray's age is a huge advantage for him.

Old man Buddy needs the rest of his younger teammates to reach their prime though
Why would Buddy’s age matter for this next contract? We’re paying for his prime years’ production. Buddy is only going to get one big deal—he should not give us much of a discount, and that Murray deal sets the market. On the other hand, we can purchase Buddy’s entire prime, 27-32, and I have no desire to get cute and let him hit RFA and lose a year of his prime.

Murray’s age is important to Murray because he could theoretically qualify for a supermax during his prime years, but it really doesn’t mean anything for Denver right now. You can project improvement based on age, but that’s also a great way to end up with a Wiggins type situation.

Why would Buddy’s age matter for this next contract? We’re paying for his prime years’ production. Buddy is only going to get one big deal—he should not give us much of a discount, and that Murray deal sets the market. On the other hand, we can purchase Buddy’s entire prime, 27-32, and I have no desire to get cute and let him hit RFA and lose a year of his prime.

Murray’s age is important to Murray because he could theoretically qualify for a supermax during his prime years, but it really doesn’t mean anything for Denver right now. You can project improvement based on age, but that’s also a great way to end up with a Wiggins type situation.
It's not a big deal at all if Buddy hits RFA. The Kings will match any offer out there for him, but I assume we'll give him the 4 year max regardless.

We can sign him for 5. We lose a year if he hits RFA.
Does it make sense for Buddy to sign for 5 years? It really depends on how much the Kings are willing to offer.

Here was the cap figures for this year's FA.
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/07/early-maximum-salary-projections-for-201920.html

I'd rather just give him a 4 year deal. Give him 1 more year to show that he can be a consistently good player. We're seeing 5th year player options, so I'm fine with just a 4 year guaranteed deal too.

Buddy I would

Bogi and Buddy will turn 30 during their next contracts, so what you see is what you get. Buddy looks like a tier below allstar, so if he takes another step to start the year that's approaching max contract production.

If they can work out a discounted extension on Bogi, say 3/40 like Dedmon, then do it. I don't think it's likely.
Otherwise, you play out the season with him and see what the market gives. Giving big extensions to your bench players isn't the path to success.
A lot of talented Pros work on their game constantly. I am not surprised when a good player like Buddy adds a new skill each off season.

I hope a few of those guys have looked at what’s happened in regards to having a extended contract in hand like Barnes has. Yes the odds say your chance at a major injury isn’t going to happen BUT look at Cousins and then the dreaded decline in performance for what ever reason ala WCS.

Bogi to get paid will have to show he’s better than a player coming off the bench as other teams I really don’t believe are going to hand out 18 to 20 a year for that. If he really wants to get paid he hopefully will devote more time to the NBA and come in healthy and show everyone around he’s a keeper. With a few folks dangling his name around (on this forum) shows to me he can be traded for a upgrade someplace in the lineup. We hopefully wish you can change that position.

Now Buddy should get paid if he continues to progress and if he thinks he wants to be here. There’s nothing wrong with it working both for him and the Kings if he’s willing. Kinda like Barnes you’re getting security for yourself and at the same time helping the team with a decently structured contract.

I will just say this I know you two want to get paid but remember we also sought you out to be part of this team also.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If Buddy improves a grade on his defense and his court sense, then I could see him approach the $20 million/year mark. For me, Malcom Brogdan is a superior overall player. He just signed a four year contract that averages $21.250/year. In my view, that's the absolute ceiling for a Buddy contract.

If Buddy doesn't take that step up, then he's more like a very good 6th man, not a very good starter, which means considerably less. Take a look at the Lou Williams contract with the Clipps - 3 years for $25 million ($8 mill/yr), signed in 2018 when he was 31. JJ Redick, age 35, just signed a two year deal with the Pels for an average annual salary of $13.25 million. (I am making an assumption here that Redick is more of a 6th man type because of mediocre defense and ball handling skills). Dinwiddie, age 26, of the Nets, just signed a 3-year contract at an average of $11.5 per year. Terrance Ross, age 27 just signed a 4-year contract with Orlando for an average of $13.5 million per year. At the low end of the range is Lou Williams at $8 mill/year. At the high end of the range is Ross at $13.5 million per year. To really come up with his worth, the Kings would have to meticulously compare the above player's strengths, weaknesses, and respective ages with Buddy's, as well as look at additional contracts signed within the last couple of years. Just ballparking it, it looks like his range is between $13 - 20 million/year. And in my own opinion, much of where Buddy falls in that range will depend this coming season on the non-shooting elements of his game, as the shooting aspect of his game is pretty much nailed down at this point.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
As far as Bogs is concerned, until I see otherwise this coming season, I think he's on the cusp of being traded. Inconsistency and a game not ideally complementary of the other players on the floor are the primary reasons. He can make a very good contribution if they can find him for open shots and he buries them on a consistent basis. (When he played with Buddy, I thought Buddy was particularly poor at finding him when he was wide open). If he's a primary ball handler, then I think that it probably subtracts more than adds to the performance of this team. Get the ball to him in space, and then if a defender flies to him at the 3 point line let him use his ball handling skills; not to initiate the action.

In theory, Bogi is a three position backup, but in reality he's good at SG. I have a hard time seeing paying him the dollars being thrown around here to play behind Buddy who we'll be paying near max.
Yeah - I see Buddy getting at least 90% of the max, and Fox and Bags will get the full max. It's going to be hard to keep Bogi unless he plays himself out of a good contract.

Of course if Vivek's goal is to be the next GS Warriors hopefully he intends to pay the luxury tax that goes along with that roster.

If Buddy improves a grade on his defense and his court sense, then I could see him approach the $20 million/year mark. For me, Malcom Brogdan is a superior overall player. He just signed a four year contract that averages $21.250/year. In my view, that's the absolute ceiling for a Buddy contract.

If Buddy doesn't take that step up, then he's more like a very good 6th man, not a very good starter, which means considerably less. Take a look at the Lou Williams contract with the Clipps - 3 years for $25 million ($8 mill/yr), signed in 2018 when he was 31. JJ Redick, age 35, just signed a two year deal with the Pels for an average annual salary of $13.25 million. (I am making an assumption here that Redick is more of a 6th man type because of mediocre defense and ball handling skills). Dinwiddie, age 26, of the Nets, just signed a 3-year contract at an average of $11.5 per year. Terrance Ross, age 27 just signed a 4-year contract with Orlando for an average of $13.5 million per year. At the low end of the range is Lou Williams at $8 mill/year. At the high end of the range is Ross at $13.5 million per year. To really come up with his worth, the Kings would have to meticulously compare the above player's strengths, weaknesses, and respective ages with Buddy's, as well as look at additional contracts signed within the last couple of years. Just ballparking it, it looks like his range is between $13 - 20 million/year. And in my own opinion, much of where Buddy falls in that range will depend this coming season on the non-shooting elements of his game, as the shooting aspect of his game is pretty much nailed down at this point.
Better overall maybe because they are different types of players. Buddy is elite at what he does best and being able to get your own shot off like Buddy can is the most valuable asset in the league currently. He's more like Klay Thompson than the crop of undersized SG's or combo guards you listed as a comparison and I'm sure that will factor in. Him being worth a max contract or not is up to how the Kings intend to use him I guess. I think we can honestly say if the Kings just let him go because they want to pay him less than someone else will all of the Kings hopes for the next few seasons and potentially longer just got flushed.

By Vlade deciding to tie up his cap for the next 2 seasons in role players rather than going into the year with cap space and the potential to make another Barnes type of deal or to add a high potential future pick by taking on salary it makes it practically impossible not to do what it takes to retain everything he has. He can't afford to bleed talent. Speaking of Brogdon, look at the Bucks. While the east did get weaker so did they. The Kings have to be smart about things and not just shoot for a 1 year window before you have to start shuffling key players out the door. Vlade did give himself some breathing room in 2 years time but whether than translates into additions or deductions depends heavily on the futures of Buddy and Bogdan. The Kings ability to play at a high level from the jump is going to be huge next season. If Buddy and Bogdan still had time on their deals you could say that worst case scenario you have some decent trade assets but because of how late the Kings are getting started on being competitive their contracts are now a liability in a trade sense.

Yeah - I see Buddy getting at least 90% of the max, and Fox and Bags will get the full max. It's going to be hard to keep Bogi unless he plays himself out of a good contract.

Of course if Vivek's goal is to be the next GS Warriors hopefully he intends to pay the luxury tax that goes along with that roster.
Well, there isn't one tax paying team that wasn't in the playoffs so hopefully he knows that. That said, the Kings do have an advantage over some teams since they'll be paying rookie maxes and not those monstrous super max deals for awhile.

A willingness and ability don't always go together. Vivek is managing partner but doesn't have majority ownership. Going back to the relocation saga, Vivek was a big fish not a whale. In terms of willingness to spend, arguments could be made both ways. We will find out when push comes to shove.

A willingness and ability don't always go together. Vivek is managing partner but doesn't have majority ownership. Going back to the relocation saga, Vivek was a big fish not a whale. In terms of willingness to spend, arguments could be made both ways. We will find out when push comes to shove.
None of the other owners are going to get in the way of building a winner. It ultimately increases the value of their investment. Any paper losses between when they buy and sell are actually a bonus.

None of the other owners are going to get in the way of building a winner. It ultimately increases the value of their investment. Any paper losses between when they buy and sell are actually a bonus.
Yes, maybe no. Cash calls are liquid assets. I'm hoping for the best. I wouldn't make a bet either way.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Better overall maybe because they are different types of players. Buddy is elite at what he does best and being able to get your own shot off like Buddy can is the most valuable asset in the league currently. 1)He's more like Klay Thompson than the 2) crop of undersized SG's or combo guards you listed as a comparison and I'm sure that will factor in. 3) Him being worth a max contract or not is up to how the Kings intend to use him I guess. I think we can honestly say if the Kings just let him go because they want to pay him less than someone else will all of the Kings hopes for the next few seasons and potentially longer just got flushed.

By Vlade deciding to tie up his cap for the next 2 seasons in role players rather than going into the year with cap space and the potential to make another Barnes type of deal or to add a high potential future pick by taking on salary it makes it practically impossible not to do what it takes to retain everything he has. He can't afford to bleed talent. Speaking of Brogdon, look at the Bucks. While the east did get weaker so did they. The Kings have to be smart about things and not just shoot for a 1 year window before you have to start shuffling key players out the door. Vlade did give himself some breathing room in 2 years time but whether than translates into additions or deductions depends heavily on the futures of Buddy and Bogdan. The Kings ability to play at a high level from the jump is going to be huge next season. If Buddy and Bogdan still had time on their deals you could say that worst case scenario you have some decent trade assets but because of how late the Kings are getting started on being competitive their contracts are now a liability in a trade sense.
Buddy like Klay Thompson? :D Come on. Let's get real here. He's got a long ways to go before he's HOFer material. If he becomes a great defensive player, then we'll talk, but that's a moon shot from here at this point in time.

Buddy is undersized compared to Ross or Dwinwiddie (or Thompson), and right around Redick's height at 6'4".

A max contract should have nothing to do with how the Kings use him. It's the skills he can provide relative to other comparable players. Those skills include shooting, but are not just limited to shooting. He's a long, long ways from a max contract player.

If Buddy is just a sixth man, then there aren't a whole lot of good starters in the league. He's a 20 PPG scorer who shoots 40-something percent from 3, is probably the 3rd best pure shooter in the league, and isn't a complete sieve defensively. Dinwiddie and Ross are insults honestly. Lou Williams is an obvious steal of a contract and he's probably the best sixth man in the business, and even then I wouldn't take him over Buddy.

Compare CJ McCollum, whose stats are similar. CJ is a better creator, but leagues worse as a defender (he's that bad) and a less physical player. JJ Redick was a starter on a good Clippers team for years and he's a worse scorer overall and comparable defender with Buddy.

If we can give Barnes 4/85, then Buddy will command 20+ a year easy. Barne's profile is very valuable in the league right now but so is Buddy's.

We agree about Bogdanovic though.