BSPN: Lakers have 5th pick

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
There are a couple of teams I can see possibly swapping slots, but why would Charlotte give up #5?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Theoretically, the Cats would slide from 5th to 10th if:
#1 they aren't in love with Gerald Green, Deron Williams or Chris Paul
#2 they still think they can pluck out two starters at 10 & 13
#3 they get a starter in return from LA

All told, I think an offer of Caron Butler and the 10th for the 5th pick would do the trick. I'm sure Laker fans think it's too much to give up, but I think it is just about right, especially if Kupchak really has the hots for a particular guy. Rumor has it that it is Green, but who knows.

In reality, I'm guessing the webmaster was just playing around with the page and making sure links etc worked OK if he had to make such a change on draft night. After all, why would the webmaster at ESPN get the first news of a trade when no details have even been reported anywhere else?

Rumor has it that the Lakers traded Kobe Bryant, the 10th pick in the draft and cash to the Bobcats for the 5th pick in the draft.

For some reason, I cant remember where I heard that. :)

piksi

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
Could they actually know something we don't yet + just some flunky put it in not knowing it hadn't been announced yet?
You mean something like what happened before Webber trade when there when his name was "accidentaly" removed from the roster couple days before

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
Rumor has it that the Lakers traded Kobe Bryant, the 10th pick in the draft and cash to the Bobcats for the 5th pick in the draft.

For some reason, I cant remember where I heard that. :)
You listening to those voices again?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yeah, voices. If you think the Lakers would give up Kobe Bryant to get a higher draft pick, you must be hearing voices...

funkykingston said:
All told, I think an offer of Caron Butler and the 10th for the 5th pick would do the trick. I'm sure Laker fans think it's too much to give up, but I think it is just about right, especially if Kupchak really has the hots for a particular guy. Rumor has it that it is Green, but who knows.
Well, Kupchak is going to have to get fleec'd before he gets a top 5 pick or a top 10 player at a specific position. I think that's about the long and short of it. Hope he proves me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

That wouldn't seem to be too bad of a deal for either team. Caron certainly needs a new start in a place where he can be the focus of the offense, Gerald Wallace is a free agent (guess he'll have to ply his trade elsewhere if this trade occurs), and the Lakers can probably get a solid PG that high in the draft.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Freakout said:
Well contract wise Charlotte would have to send some one back. Caron and 10 for Ely and 5 works.
Not sure about that -- Charlotte may be so far under the cap they can just accept a player. hard to tell because they've got that weird staggered salary cap thing going because they are an expansion team.