Bring Shumpert back on vet min?

Bring Shumpert back on vet min?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...ts-contract-offer-wont-attend-camp/ar-AAHqRrA

So did not get offer he liked from Houston, not going to training camp
I dont see Wing Room there with Harden,Gordon,Green,Tucker,House,Clark on contracts
Plus a bunch on other wings in camp already

Kings have one roster slot avail, but could only offer vet min

I think he would be great 5th wing behind Buddy,Bogie,Barnes,Ariza

only other 5th wing is Justin James?

Anyone think he would come back for min?

Reading the article, it says he isn't a perfect fit. But mentions his hometown is nearby and that one of his former assistant coaches just joined the Bulls.

I actually think it's the same situation - the Bulls have a roster slot but they won't have much playing time. This is a guy who is 29 and can still play in the league, he will likely have to take a 1 year deal on the cheap but he'll want to do it on a team he can get a shot at playing time so he can sign a decent contract next season. Won't happen riding the bench.

I do think he'd play for us. Ariza is getting old, Bogi multi dimensional. Gives coach Walton an option and we should be running a whole lot and the fellas may get tired.

Would play 0-15 mpg depending on need. But those 15 minutes when we used him could be very important.

I do think he'd play for us. Ariza is getting old, Bogi multi dimensional. Gives coach Walton an option and we should be running a whole lot and the fellas may get tired.

Would play 0-15 mpg depending on need. But those 15 minutes when we used him could be very important.
Agreed. Ben played 19 games in his half season with the team, the majority of his minutes coming in competitive games. Right now Justin James is lined up for that spot, maybe Yogi depending on matchups. It's not a huge role, but I didn't really feel good having Ben out there, and I doubt the rookie will be any better.

Shump might have better options, but if the Kings can get him, he would be useful.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/30q-could-the-kings-bring-back-iman-shumpert/ar-AAHxJjx

"It really comes down to the role Shumpert is looking for, as well as the contract. We don’t know what role the Rockets were offering, or what contract, but presumably a bench role on a vet minimum. The Kings wouldn’t be able to offer Shump more than a veteran minimum, and they certainly wouldn’t be offering him a role with significant playing time. It may not be a great fit for what Iman wants, but it certainly warrants a phone call. If Shump would return to the Kings on a minimum with the understanding that he would only play spot minutes, the Kings should jump on that opportunity."

Then why not bring him back as an assistant coach, save on the salary a bit and not use up a roster spot?
Well, in regards to him specifically. I think he's a good veteran presence but would not have the same camaraderie as a coach. He could obviously still play in case of injury, rest, fatigue, etc. But he would not have a rotational role.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Well, in regards to him specifically. I think he's a good veteran presence but would not have the same camaraderie as a coach. He could obviously still play in case of injury, rest, fatigue, etc. But he would not have a rotational role.
The problem with that is that we have 14 guaranteed contracts already, leaving only one roster spot open, and there are presumably five guys already fighting for it - Tyler Lydon, Eric Mika, and Isaiah Pineiro on unguaranteed training camp deals and Wenyen Gabriel and Kyle Guy on two-way deals. Unless we think that Shump on the deep bench is worth letting all the unguaranteed guys go (and I got the feeling we were at least a bit serious about Lydon) and closing out the chance to upgrade Gabriel/Guy to a full contract this year, then I don't think that would be a great call.

I think the last thing we would want to do would be to bring Shump in (again) for his veteran presence and then either cut him/trade him (again) to make room for somebody else. And really maybe only Caleb Swanigan is cuttable this year. So we'd really be tying our hands a bit to bring in Shump in without expecting to make him a rotation player.

Hopefully Ariza can shoulder the ShumpVet role this year and make the whole question moot.

I don't disagree. I was talking in a vacuum. The roster as currently constructed probably doesn't have a spot for him.

Swannigan is expendable, the only reason to hold on to him is for salary fodder in a future trade. That being said, I'd be shocked if we made any major moves this year. Unless we are bowled over with an offer, I think this is our team for the next two years. (top 9 guys)

Fox/Joseph
Buddy/Bogi
Barnes
Bagley/Giles
Dedmond/Holmes

Bjelly and Ariza will have to play above their pay grade to have their TO picked up next year IMO

I see Lydon as Bjelica insurance, a camp body who spends a year in sac to possibly replace him next year.

The team doesn't really need a 6th big, since Ariza and Barnes will take minutes, and Gabriel is available on a 2 way. Swanigan is realistically 2 or 3 injuries away from being needed. Since he's guaranteed money, might as well keep him until the season starts in case of inury.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The problem with that is that we have 14 guaranteed contracts already, leaving only one roster spot open, and there are presumably five guys already fighting for it - Tyler Lydon, Eric Mika, and Isaiah Pineiro on unguaranteed training camp deals and Wenyen Gabriel and Kyle Guy on two-way deals. Unless we think that Shump on the deep bench is worth letting all the unguaranteed guys go (and I got the feeling we were at least a bit serious about Lydon) and closing out the chance to upgrade Gabriel/Guy to a full contract this year, then I don't think that would be a great call.

I think the last thing we would want to do would be to bring Shump in (again) for his veteran presence and then either cut him/trade him (again) to make room for somebody else. And really maybe only Caleb Swanigan is cuttable this year. So we'd really be tying our hands a bit to bring in Shump in without expecting to make him a rotation player.

Hopefully Ariza can shoulder the ShumpVet role this year and make the whole question moot.
I think everything with the Kings is about the now, and the future. I don't see Shump fitting into either of those scenarios. We already have plenty of veteran experience on the team, and personally, I think Shumpert is more of a ball stopper than a ball mover. His main calling card is defense, but his offense is and has always been erratic. He's a streaky shooter who likes to shoot. If Shump was a 38% or above 3 pt shooter I might be on board, but he's not.

Plus, I think he's looking for a place that will give him minutes and shots. I don't blame him for that, but that place isn't the Sacramento Kings. And, I agree with everything you said.

Great idea. Give me some Shump. This guy can instill confidence and desire just by hanging around with a team. He doesn't need to play that much. Just put him in the fourth quarter as the secret weapon.
You want to get the Kings out of a mental slump turn loose the Shump.

I'd say it's telling that nobody has signed him. His presence is missed but I don't see why someone else can't provide the same leadership skills down the stretch. It's clear that the changes made in the offseason were more significant than they appeared.

Gunks with the cheap shot but seriously, what a frickin disappointment especially when his summer production is so high.

Status
Not open for further replies.