Breaking news...Adelman era over (merged)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
JGar said:
http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/14253324p-15069206c.html

The Rick Adelman era in Sacramento is over.

According to inside sources, Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie is expected to announce at a 3 p.m. news conference today that the coach who led them to eight consecutive playoff berths will not be back next season.
That's what I heard.

Remember, you heard it here first.

;)

If RA is retiring then it has nothing to do with the maloofs giving anyone credit. I think as far as the team/maloofs/petrie if the RA era ends a retirement is the best possible scenerio

JB_kings said:
The regret that the Maloofs will have is chasing Phil Jackson last year. I'll hold off my judgement until I hear the replacement candidates names.
yep, that was the first mistake. Then, they didn't talk privatly with RA apparently after the PJ call was made public, then they did not come out publicly supportive of Adelman, then they did not offer him and extension during the season.

Makes no sense what the Maloofs have done if they wanted him back. This stinks if its true that he is gone.

How does this make a BIT of sense? This is a tragedy. Who better? Who the hell do the Maloofs think they are?

Then again, was it retirement or did they for some reason believe that Rick was no longer a good fit for this team? Jesus......this sucks more than any player leaving in my opinion. He's been with us through everything, and this is how he is repaid.

Then again, retirement or what, I dont know.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The details haven't been released yet. It could well have been Adelman's decision...

Let's wait and see what the announcement actually says.

BigWaxer said:
If RA is retiring then it has nothing to do with the maloofs giving anyone credit. I think as far as the team/maloofs/petrie if the RA era ends a retirement is the best possible scenerio
He aint Retiring, like someone else said he has too much game left in him.

As TDOS' go, this one is already depressing. Depression usually does not set in until Mid-July.

Maloofs/Petrie better have brilliant off-season from this point on...

VF21 said:
The details haven't been released yet. It could well have been Adelman's decision...

Let's wait and see what the announcement actually says.
Doesn't matter if they spin it as RA's decision. Maloofs treated him poorly and it pushed him out. :mad:

nbrans said:
It just seems odd, because if he were retiring of his own accord wouldn't he be the one to make the announcement?
RA seemed genuinely hopeful about this teams future. I dont see why he would retire now. This was the Maloofs decision, no doubt.

Sounds like it is a dismissal.

It's so easy to make the statement about the Kings needing to find a new coach. But it sure doesn't seem easy at all to say who that new coach should be. It's a double-edged sword IMHO.

bibbinator said:
From the sacbee link...

If it were his choice I don't the word dismissal would've been used.
yeah, dismissal definitely indicates that it wasn't his decision.

What a bad move. I honestly think that Adelman has done a great job with this team, not only during the great years, but in the last two years where he has been constantly adjusting to the changes that have been thrown at him.

I would hate to see Don Nelson coach this team. I think the best bet, especially considering the personalities of Ron Artest & Bonzi, would be to go with Elston Turner at the head coach position. But, if they're getting rid of Rick, they want change, so ....

Good For Rick, He can Go Go elsewhere, He has 700 + wins, He has been through Battles against the best of them, He has Been to the NBA finals 2 times,He has been to the playoffs 8 straight seasons, Golden state might look good or maybe in houston with yao ming, Rick would be a Good addition to one of those Teams, a Dangerous mixture. Nellie has never been to the NBA finals as a Head coach for a Reason

sidney said:
Doesn't matter if they spin it as RA's decision. Maloofs treated him poorly and it pushed him out. :mad:
Bingo.....and we have a winner!!

Makes me wonder as to GP's status now since he and Rick's fortunes have been tied so closely for so long. Perhaps a disciple will replace RA...Terry Porter? More defensive minded than RA with a good rep with the players. And this is just the beginning of the speculation to follow. Drop your socks and grab your jocks we're in for a bumpy ride.

I definitely don't like the list of coaches that are availiable...

Stan Van Gundy
Don Nelson {dun dun dun...}
I honestly can't think of anymore...

All the coaches I would like to see in here are already coaching somewhere else...

1.Phil Jackson
2.Greg Popovic
3.Byron Scott
4.Flip Saunders
5.Avery Johnson

Those are the best coaches I can think of, and they are all somewhere else... Whoever comes in, will not be the caliber of Adelman.