Brad Miller should start!!!

if brad is healthy enough to play, he should be healthy enough to start... just because he starts, doesn't means he needs to play 30-35 minutes... he can still start and play only 20-25 minutes... but by putting him in there to begin the game, you give the kings a scoring threat and a bigger body to bang with jerome james... hopefully the kings will be able to get off to a better start and not have to come back by 21 points down if they have brad in there...

i don't know if skinner is still hurt, but he is not playing up to the energy and passion he had the first month as a king... it may be he is still nursing some injuries, but he is not throwing his big body around as much as before... i hope if brad can start and skinner (and tag) coming off the bench, we will get more energy from skinner....

i think winning game 2 is essential to the kings hopes of advancing... we need all our best players on the floor, it is now or never!!!

GO KINGS!!!

my dream is for ostertag and brad to start together but in a article i read today on sacbee it didn't seem like RA was goin to

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Might start Brad if I were satisfied that he was healthy enough to handle 30 min. But the other option is give Tag the start and shift Skinner to the bench behind Darius starting. When Tag runs out of gas there are still two options. Im still not sure If I prefer the idea of bringing Tag in off the bench or or letting him start the game up front, there are advantages and disadvantages to both. But for the moment I am thinking Start Tag at the low post with Drius at the high post (I don't like to thin of positions in the clasic cenmter forward sense) This leaves lots of flexablity including brinign Brad in for instant offense for Tag, or along with Tag as a crippling presence aginst the Seatle Thugs. Kenny will not like playing back in the que but sorry against the Soncs size matters, might give him minuets behind Pedja.

Am I wrong to believe that the only real concern with Brad's broken leg and his recovery would be pain, not some complex health issue? If a broken bone mends, is it completely healed, or is a bone like concrete, which gets significantly stronger with extended periods of time.

Come on you shade-tree physicians. Super-Glue or Portland Cement Concrete? Which is it?

Last edited:
Safe Rather Than Sorry ...

But not to an extreme and at the risk of being eliminated from the playoffs.

Remember, we're talkin' about a human beings LIVELIHOOD. How he pays his bills and puts food on the table. Not to mention putting his ability to walk comfortably as he ages in jeopardy.

Can anyone recall hearing that Brad has been given the 100%. go gung-ho on the courts ... run your fool-head off ... approval from the team physician or doctor ???

With all that said ....

If Brad is ready to go ... get his country, critter shootin', fool fishin', tall-n-lanky, white-behind butt out there !!!

You know, I'd much rather have Skinner start and work the boards, and have Brad and Bobby come in late 1st/early 2nd quarter, so that they match up with Seattle's bench, which IMO is inferior to a HEALTHY kings bench. I say limit his minutes until we know EXACTLY where he's at physically. If he were to go down again, I would lose it, and put a hit out on Finley.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I am not going to second guess Rick Adelman about Brad Miller. He is going to utilize him in the best manner possible and that's good enough for me.

If Adelman and the training staff AND Brad think he's ready, of course he'll start. It's not like they don't want to put the best possible team out on the court.

If I understood Napear right during his radio show today, RA, the training staff and Brad agreed on a set number of minutes before the game. They don't want to risk a setback which could bench him for the rest of the playoff run. Personally, I think they'll extend that number a bit for game 2, but I don't see him starting anytime soon.

quick dog said:
Am I wrong to believe that the only real concern with Brad's broken leg and his recovery would be pain, not some complex health issue? If a broken bone mends, is it completely healed, or is a bone like concrete, which gets significantly stronger with extended periods of time.

Come on you shade-tree physicians. Super-Glue or Portland Cement Concrete? Which is it?
Here's some relevant info on healing bones...I'm a biology teacher, so I'm just quoting some of my class materials:

The healing process
The blood clots that form on the broken ends of bone are the beginning of the healing process. Over five or so weeks, the body fuses the two bone portions together with a combination of fibrous cells and cartilage. This bridge is temporary and not as strong as real bone. It can break easily with comparatively little force. The cast or splint may be removed after a few weeks, but the bone still needs to be handled with care for at least one more month. The temporary bone ('callus') is slowly replaced with real bone over the next couple of months. Unlike skin, broken bones heal without forming scar tissue. However, immobilized muscles tend to weaken and wither. Rehabilitation, including strengthening exercises, may be needed for a short time.

If I remember correctly, Brad's fracture is on his fibula...not the major weight-bearing bone of the lower leg, but an important component in the stability of the ankle. Anyway, hope this helps!

We'll just have to trust the doctors that the team has at their disposal. Given the amount of time that has passed and the bone broken, I would say his leg is in pretty good shape. He also said he feels no ill effects after the game on Sat. so I am optimistic.

it doesn't matter who starts, it matters who finishes and plays the clutch minutes. brad needs to play, but he also needs to see only limited minutes. if he only plays 10 minutes, id much rather see those minutes in the 2nd half rather than waste 5 or 6 trotting him out early for some sentimental reason. the rest of the guys can keep it together long enough, and brad can provide boosts at critical times rather than just playing him for the hell of it. starting really isn't that important, its more of an ego thing. and brad knows that winning is the most important thing, at the means conserving and wisely playing his time

I Disagree ...

captain bill said:
it doesn't matter who starts
It does matter who starts .... more importantly it matters HOW you start.

Take game #1 for example .... SLOW START .... SLOW POINTS

Sonics made buckets ... made points ... made huge lead.

If ya ain't scoring .... then play some freakin' D ... call a timeout ... put somebody else in ... quit takin' jumpers ... do something before the game gets away from you ... before you even get started or warmed-up (actually, should already be warmed-up).

In close games ... it matters who finishes

game with huge lead in 4th qtr = garbage time

Folsom Al, I totally agree with your post. The problem with Adelman is he keeps his starters in way too long. On Saturday Bibby should have been taken out long before he was. Bring someone else in. If the starters aren't getting it done, then put in the bench. :confused:

Folsom Al said:
It does matter who starts .... more importantly it matters HOW you start.

Take game #1 for example .... SLOW START .... SLOW POINTS

Sonics made buckets ... made points ... made huge lead.

If ya ain't scoring .... then play some freakin' D ... call a timeout ... put somebody else in ... quit takin' jumpers ... do something before the game gets away from you ... before you even get started or warmed-up (actually, should already be warmed-up).

In close games ... it matters who finishes

game with huge lead in 4th qtr = garbage time

i agree . it does matter who starts. give brad the job, see how he feels after a few minutes.

VF21 said:
I am not going to second guess Rick Adelman about Brad Miller. He is going to utilize him in the best manner possible and that's good enough for me.

If Adelman and the training staff AND Brad think he's ready, of course he'll start. It's not like they don't want to put the best possible team out on the court.
Well I am going to second guess Rick because if Brad or Tag is not starting this game his head should be examined.

Bad Boy Bo said:
Tag doesn't need to start, he just needs to come in when James does. Miller, it's all about his health, so if he feels like he can, he will.
Well, considering James starts, wouldn't it make sense to start Tag then?

Bad Boy Bo said:
Tag doesn't need to start, he just needs to come in when James does. Miller, it's all about his health, so if he feels like he can, he will.

Im pretty sure if you asked Miller about Saturday he would say he could have played more in the 4th quarter, that game was winnable, with Miller on the floor they had cut the lead to 4 and were charging, then Brad sits the rest of the game....WTF

quick dog said:

well, with my limited knowledge regarding othopedics ( where i interned during nursing school), i think the broken bone eventually heals and become strong as the tissues calcifies, but never as strong as before it got broken. it's like gluing your glasses back together, that spot is always weaker, and if you drop it again, that spot is more likely to break than other places. this will go on for months until the new bone tissues are strong enough.

what i am concerned of is his leg muscles, it'll take a little while to build the muslce back up, so he may not be able to give us the minutes we want simply because he's outta shape due to the injury.

regardless it's good to have him back. he'll jump out there, he doesn't care. we need more people who will jump out there, you know, no fear, RAAA~~

Ostertag should start because James starts.
But only keep him in a reasonable amound RA!
After he goes out put in Miller in for him.
Leave Brad in for only 5 to 10 mins.
Sometime during those 5 to 10 mins put in Songailia/Skinner for Kenny.

KingsFan54 said:
Folsom Al, I totally agree with your post. The problem with Adelman is he keeps his starters in way too long. On Saturday Bibby should have been taken out long before he was. Bring someone else in. If the starters aren't getting it done, then put in the bench. :confused:
on saturday bobby wasnt doing much either... i dont think you can blame adelman for what happened on saturday.

I am soooo ready to put Saturday's game behind us!! A win tonight will help. We lost as a team on Saturday; we will win as a team tonight! I don't care who starts as long as they play well (and better than the Sonics) when they are on the court! GO TEAM!!