Brad Gets No Respect

of course, it's marc stein, but how can anyone make such an outrageous statement:

"Comment: With Amare Stoudemire and Duncan insisting on being listed as forwards, Yao has no reasonable opposition. It doesn't hurt that Yao, in spite of all the bashing this season, is still averaging a productive 18 and 8."

let's compare the stats:

brad miller: 15.2 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 3.7 apg, 53.7 fg%, 31-14 team record
yao ming: 18.1 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 0.8 apg, 53.2 fg%, 26-21 team record

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=1975826

iheartBrad said:
i really don't care what espn writers have to say about him...just aslong as kings fans respect him thats all i care about
Word. Was about to post the same thing too. ;)

Plus, it's Marc Stein...what did you expect? ;)

Heuge said:
Its almost like he forgot to do his homework. He just missed Brad.
I kindly pointed out that he should do his research before he writes. I was cordial, but I don't think I will be getting any love notes from Marc Stien anytime soon.

Btw, great sig iheartbrad!

bdouble013 said:
Btw, great sig iheartbrad!
thanks someone posted that in a thread in the Warriors forum over at Justbball.com and i thought it was the funniest thing ive heard all year...i actually posted in the Kings vs Warriors game thread...but i thought it was so funny it was sig worthy

Brad Miller is without dispute the best shooting center in the entire NBA......there is not a center who can even cover him when he is shooting that 18ft jumper.....and if they try?........it's called back-door cut heaven....

the other night Rick Kamla...well i think it was Rick Kamala....on his low 5...he had the best centers in the league or something like that...and i think Brad was like #2 or #3 but Rick said that he believes Brad is the best ALL AROUND center in the league....which i would definetly have to agree with

now that i think about it a little more his order was

5. Ben Wallace
4. Big Z
3. Yao Ming
2. Brad Miller
1 Shaq

i think thats pretty accurate

Brad again being the best all around center

Last edited:
iheartBrad said:
the other night Rick Kamla...well i think it was Rick Kamala....on his low 5...he had the best centers in the league or something like that...and i think Brad was like #2 or #3 but Rick said that he believes Brad is the best ALL AROUND center in the league....which i would definetly have to agree with
#2 behind Shaq, up on Yao.

S

SaCKiNgS24

you cant even compare yao and brad! yao has no SHOT! they basically try and use yao like the lakers and miami use shaq! just post up and stuff!

S

SaCKiNgS24

can yao shoot 2 feet infront of the 3 pnt line? HELL NO! brad has better range, better shot!

SaCKiNgS24 said:
yao has no SHOT!
SaCKiNgS24 said:
can yao shoot 2 feet infront of the 3 pnt line? HELL NO! brad has better range, better shot!
That wasn't the point of my post, we all know Miller's range. I was just saying Yao has the ability to shoot (replying to your first post).

Anyways if you need a post player like Yao shooting 20 footers, your in trouble.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
It was a minor form of disrespect, and really two weeks ago fairly accurate. But Brad's obviously been on a huge run since then.

Brad's a quality center, but it really is a sign of the pathetic times when he's a Top 5 guy there. I remember a time perhaps a decade ago when the Top 5 centers in the league were Hakeem, Admiral, Ewing, Shaq and Mourning. :eek:

P.S. Yao is overhyped, and Brad is a better shooter, but that's not really point. Except in our system an unathletic jump shooting center is really not what most people think of when they think center. They want boards, blocks, and a post game.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
It was a minor form of disrespect, and really two weeks ago fairly accurate. But Brad's obviously been on a huge run since then.

Brad's a quality center, but it really is a sign of the pathetic times when he's a Top 5 guy there. I remember a time perhaps a decade ago when the Top 5 centers in the league were Hakeem, Admiral, Ewing, Shaq and Mourning. :eek:

P.S. Yao is overhyped, and Brad is a better shooter, but that's not really point. Except in our system an unathletic jump shooting center is really not what most people think of when they think center. They want boards, blocks, and a post game.
I agree with that - not to discredit Brad...he is playing amazing basketball....but gone are the time when dominant centers were part of the best teams in the NBA. Nowerdays, i think the PF spot has taken over as the most versatile on teams. Still - I def. do miss having Robinson, Ewing, and Hakeem in the league with the same time.

I think Yao is more of a face to the basket player that Houston is trying to get to be more of a low post, back to the basket type that can dominate around the hoop. Personally, I'd just as soon see him low where Webber can hassel him before he shoots because out to 18' or so he has a great jumper for his size. Down low his footwork is suspect and isn't terribly quick like Shaq used to be.

Rowdyone said:
Down low his footwork is suspect and isn't terribly quick like Shaq used to be.
Exactly^^ Yao is too slow, whether it's his footwork or his huffing up and down the court. He is a good shooter though. That being said Brad is a better shooter with more range not to mention Brad is a better rebounder. To say Yao has no competition does exactly what the title of this thread says... It completely disrespects Brads game.

KP said:
Exactly^^ Yao is too slow, whether it's his footwork or his huffing up and down the court. He is a good shooter though. That being said Brad is a better shooter with more range not to mention Brad is a better rebounder. To say Yao has no competition does exactly what the title of this thread says... It completely disrespects Brads game.
for real. ive got nothin but respect for yao ming. he has come to a new country under extreme pressure, and he's done pretty well for himself. but he is definitely overhyped. he will be a good player for many many years in the nba, but he will never be the dominant center everyone expects him to be. that is of course just my opinion. i hope he proves me wrong. but it definitely shows disrespect to brad to say that yao has no competition....to completely not mention brad's name at all. yao may have no competition among all star voters, but brad's on the better team, and brad's playing better basketball all-around, so he deserves his due.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I would have to think long and hard about taking Yao, primarily because of the issues over stamina, ability to play major minutes, etc. That whole subject is one of increasing concern for the Rockets, because it appears he just won't ever be able to put up big minutes.

Heuge said:
When given the chioce of having Yao or Miller, would you choose Miller?

Personally, I would take Yao, but the choice would be tough.
Right now, I'd take Miller, but I like guys who can shoot, so that might be why..

Yao has better potential, but right now Id go with Miller.

Heuge said:
When given the chioce of having Yao or Miller, would you choose Miller?

Personally, I would take Yao, but the choice would be tough.
now, in hindsight, i take miller any day of the week and twice on sunday. thats because i see a very very versatile center in brad miller, who is a potential triple double threat on his best nights. looking at yao's numbers, well....i'm of the opinion that there are a lot of centers that have the potential to put up those numbers, now and in the near future. brad's versatility gives him an edge, imo. but, yao has many good years ahead of him to prove me wrong, so we'll jsut have to wait and see....

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Hard to compare Brad and Yao as they really do have differnet games, that function differnetly with in differnet systems. Yao would NOT be a better choice for the Kings, he lacs the passing skills and consistant outside shot necessary for a free flowing offense. By the same token Brad would not be the first choice of many more NBS teams that run more traditionl offensive structures that depend on post up offense and shot blocking, and given how slow Brad is any team like Pheonix is not going to want a guy that has to work at beating Tag in sprints, not that Yao is a speedy or has the stamina for a full on running game but IF a team can spell him for long streaches he is faster than Brad (nothing to brag about).