Bonzi's Stock Will Soar....

nbrans said:
I think it all depends on how much. If his deal starts $6 million or lower, great. That will put the Kings low enough under the luxury tax threshold to also possibly use the MLE on a big or a backup point guard. Awesome, re-sign Bonzi. $7-$8 million I'd probably swallow the bitter pill, but I'd also listen to S&T offers and would make a major push for someone like Nene.

Over $8 million? Barring a S&T, I think I'd let him walk. Yes, it's a talent drain, it doesn't send the right message, it's a step backward etc. etc. etc. But is a 12/5/2 guy really worth $8 million a year? Even one who has proven he can step up in the playoffs? I think that over that $8 million mark it becomes a major risk. You have a 30 year old and counting perpetual malcontent (except this year) who would not have a very attractive deal to trade partners. You have more than half of your cap tied up by three guys (Bibby, Miller and Bonzi) who aren't getting any younger or any better.

And the X factor is Kevin Martin. Who knows what the Kings have in him? They could have a 10 point guy or they could have a 20 point guy. Who knows. But at the very least he's proven he can be a starter in the league and he's making $1 million the next two years. If the Kings can address their pressing concerns (post, backup PG) by letting Bonzi walk or using him in a S&T Kevin Martin makes it a less horrifying situation.
explain this [bolded] line of thinking to me. i don't understand where it comes from. bonzi wells has proven himself year after year to be a dependable banger, scrapper, rebounder, and all around hustle player who has no fear of any player in the league. except this year, bonzi grew up, became a better teammate, proved he can--and WANTS to--step up in the playoffs. not only that, bonzi is commited to the KINGS. he said he wants to stop moving around, he wants to return to sacramento, the ball is in the maloofs court. as for nene, he has proved nothing. i see much more risk in nene (unproven with weak knees and only youth on his side) than bonzi.

yanon said:
nbrans is talking about fiscal prudence. The Kings already have three overpaid players. KT (7 millions), Brad (9.6 millions), and Bibby (12.5 millions). Unless they get rid of one of those contracts, they will not have the money to acquire the impact low post big man who can help them get over the hump.
It is not a low post player we need right now...already have 3 who play 3 different postions respectively - Artest, Wells, and Abdur-Rahim. It was obvious in the playoffs that the Kings' post players were extremly effective, as even Duncana dn the Spurs had fewe answers.

What we really need is a defensive pf/center of sorts who also brings energy and rebounding.

acisking said:
It is not a low post player we need right now...already have 3 who play 3 different postions respectively - Artest, Wells, and Abdur-Rahim. It was obvious in the playoffs that the Kings' post players were extremly effective, as even Duncana dn the Spurs had fewe answers.

What we really need is a defensive pf/center of sorts who also brings energy and rebounding.
exactly!!! acisking wins the thread!!!

jamaal magloire, people! check out my thread...the bucks are likely going to trade him this offseason!

Padrino said:
explain this [bolded] line of thinking to me. i don't understand where it comes from. \i see much more risk in nene (unproven with weak knees and only youth on his side) than bonzi.
Padrino said:
exactly!!! acisking wins the thread!!!

jamaal magloire, people! check out my thread...the bucks are likely going to trade him this offseason!
I think you explained it yourself. Nene will heal. He's possibly the defensive rebounder the Kings need. I'd be for a Nene S&T for the same reasons you're for a Magloire trade.

acisking said:

Lower post player also include low post defender unless your definition of player only equal to offensive player. When I say a low post big man, it referes to a low post player who can defend well and score more than 10 points.

so, I ask you to stop using your limited definition of low post to judge my post.

Last edited: