Bonzi's Stock Will Soar....

If he keeps playing like this, which I hope he does, teams will be offering him TONS of money, just like you know uh that stud what's his name...oh Jerome James.

Kind of sucks.

ForlornKing said:
If he keeps playing like this, which I hope he does, teams will be offering him TONS of money, just like you know uh that stud what's his name...oh Jerome James.

Kind of sucks.
difference is that jerome james was going up against a very weak kings front line. isiah should have known better than that...

as for bonzi, he's a "power little" going up against one of the bigger teams in the league. at 6'5", he's tangling with duncan, mohammad, and nesterovic. there's opportunity to overpay, but bonzi is the kinda scrapper who's generally gonna earn his paycheck.

I would pay him 8.8 million next year since I think he makes 8 million this year. He deserves it with a combo of Ron and him.

Hopefully he decides to stay since he might like ARCO THUNDER!!!!

He also should consider that we were the team to give him a third chance after he spoiled his welcome with two other clubs. I know loyalty doesn't seem to count as much as money in sports these days, but I hope it factors into his decision if someone offers him a bit more than we do.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
DoughDole said:
Does anybody know if we own his bird rights?
Yes, definitely. But he's not a restricted free agent. He can leave us no matter what we offer. But the cap is no restriction for us, and I think if we offer him competitive money he would like to be back (having your name chanted by 18,000 people always helps with that ;) ), with the only question being if we told him we are determined to start Kevin next year or something. Rick's return might potentially matter somewhat as well.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Bonzi will be back.

But there will be tons of sign and trade opprotunities for sure. Not just because he has played well in this series, plenty of teams wanted him from Memphis in trade. Of course he was a nice expiring. I don't know what kind of market there is out there for him.

I hope we sign him. He doe so many of the intangibles this team needs, give the other team match-up problems, and can be good examples along with Ron Arest for the younger players- Martin, Cisco, even Ronnie Price... Not to mention he is almost single-handedly the reason we are outrebounding SA. He's a monster on those boards and our team needs that.

However, if we do resign him- I can tell you what I'd like him to do this summer. SHOOT FREE THROWS EVERY DAY!!! haha

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I remember Bonzi commenting early in the season about getting another chance with the Kings and how much he appreciated it. He also said that he loved the fans here and that he was welcomed with no baggage attached. He appreciated that as well. You gotta believe having 17,000 plus fans chanting Bon-ZI...Bon-ZI had to have made him feel like a million bucks. Here is hoping that his appreciation for Sacramento, the franchise, and the fans will mean a lot to him when it comes to our competing for him.

F

Fillmoe

i think bonzi will stay.... when we first got him he talked highly or the organization and how well he was being accepted by the fans

Bricklayer

Fillmoe said:
i think bonzi will stay.... when we first got him he talked highly or the organization and how well he was being accepted by the fans
I think the question more remains with us -- we offer him equal $$ and a starting bid, I have a hard time seeing him leave. We low ball him and want him to come off the bench, he could leave.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
I think the wquestion more remains wiht us -- we ofer him equal $$ and a starting bid, I have a hard time seeing him leave. We low ball him and want him to come off the bench, he could leave.
Even more to the point, if we low ball him after the season/series he's had, he SHOULD leave.

GoGoGadget said:
Even more to the point, if we low ball him after the season/series he's had, he SHOULD leave.
Good point, Gadget.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what his market value will be? Obviously, if he were 23 instead of 29 he'd get offered more that what he will be.

It's my though that he may get a contract in the 4 years/36 million range. Honestly can't see anyone offering him more years or money than that.

Any other projections here?

cfechter said:
Good point, Gadget.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what his market value will be? Obviously, if he were 23 instead of 29 he'd get offered more that what he will be.

It's my though that he may get a contract in the 4 years/36 million range. Honestly can't see anyone offering him more years or money than that.

That sounds about right to me.

PFFFT!! said:
He will probably sign with San Antonio, and Peja will sign for the Lakers....don't they all? :\
aint that the truth!! i've been also wondering if peja will go to the lakers... thank god we kept artest away from being traded to either of the LA teams!

KevinMartinsGirl23 said:
I hope we sign him. He doe so many of the intangibles this team needs, give the other team match-up problems, and can be good examples along with Ron Arest for the younger players- Martin, Cisco, even Ronnie Price... Not to mention he is almost single-handedly the reason we are outrebounding SA. He's a monster on those boards and our team needs that.

However, if we do resign him- I can tell you what I'd like him to do this summer. SHOOT FREE THROWS EVERY DAY!!! haha
And be more aware with the wild passes he tends to turn over.

cfechter said:
Good point, Gadget.

60 Years X 60 Million - That's my guess.... :D

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I think a 6 year deal around the 40 million dollar mark sounds right to me.

Anything to far over that, I just don't see us re-signing him. We have two young SG's, one a star in the making, and as much as I want Bonzi back, the Maloofs can't give out another bloated deal. Of course they always seem to do it. We'll see I guess.

But I do want Bonzi back more than anything.

Bricklayer

6 yrs 40 mil is way below market value.

He's being paid $8mil now. That's a nice baseline and you kind of go from there. You'll want to try to shave the years if possible. Hold it to 5 maybe. Try to keep the overall deal below $50 mil if possible.

Look at it this way. We are already paying $8 mil this year for the "services" of Corliss and Potapenko. When you are pissing money down the drain like that, shouldn't even make you blink to pay it to Bonzi.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
6 yrs 40 mil is way below market value.

He's being paid $8mil now. That's a nice baseline and you kind of go from there. You'll want to try to shave the years if possible. Hold it to 5 maybe. Try to keep the overall deal below $50 mil if possible.

Look at it this way. We are already paying $8 mil this year for the "services" of Corliss and Potapenko. When you are pissing money down the drain like that, shouldn't even make you blink to pay it to Bonzi.
But its also the last year of his previous deal with increases coming every year. When I said "around" I meant anywhere in the 40 million dollar range. 42-48. I could see closer to 50 I guess.

I do see your point, and the Maloofs have shown in the past that they'll spend whatever is needed if they want something bad enough.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Screw it, pay the man whatever he wants. Mow his lawn, wash his back, clip his toe nails, whatever it takes Bonzi NEEDS TO COME BACK!

After Game 4, I threatened that losing Bonzi would inspire me to lay in the street and cry.

Well, after tonight, I can add that I will have a monster truck poised, engines revving, ready to run me over as I start to wail.

I say this everytime, but I loved Bonzi in Portland, I loved Bonzi in Memphis, when I heard he was coming to Sacramento, I was estatic. Considering his reputation, it was his relentless effort and passion that made me love him so much. We finally got him, and is the only trade I approved 100% for. We can't let him go. If we do, I'll lay in the street with G3.

The dilemma will be how can the Kings afford to acquire a quality big man if they sign and keep Bonzi. Do the Maloofs like Bonzi so much that they are willing to pay extra $4 millions in luxury tax in order to keep him?

Last edited:

Bricklayer

yanon said:
The dilemma will be how can the Kings afford to acquire a quality big man if they sign and keep Bonzi. Do the Maloofs like Bonzi so much that they are willing to pay extra $4 millions in luxury tax in order to keep him?
Remember -- Bonzi is ALREADY earning $8million.

Therefore when this season is over, that $8 million comes off the books, and off our cap + can be used to resign him. But it can NOT be used to sign a new big man, because we are way over the cap and restricted to the MLE in the free agent market.

We will basically be resigning Bonzi with the same money we are already paying him.

Now that WOULD mean that if we wanted to sign somebody with the MLE, or sign a first round draft pick, that it might put us over the luxury tax threshhold. But here's the thing: we have $29 million in salaries tied up in these 5 players : Brad Miller, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Kenny Thomas, Vitaly Potapenko, and Corliss Willaimson. The very same 5 guys that need to be replaced/upgraded. Hell after this series you could replace ALL of them and it wouldn't make me unhappy. That $29mil is where you should be finding a way to pay a new frontcourt player or two.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Yeah, we have plenty of expirings to get the big man we need. And I can see the Maloofs going into the tax zone if its worth it, and I think this team has shown it can be a contender if improvements are made.

The only contract that makes sense to keep is Reefs. I am starting to wonder about Miller...he's salary will rise to 13mil!?:eek: Not the type of money I would pay for his production...especially after this series.