Bonzi Wells Traded To Sacramento for BJax & OTag

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/grizzlies/article/0,1426,MCA_475_3946734,00.html

Bonzi Wells is a Sacramento King. The Grizzlies exercised an $8 million team option Friday and agreed to trade Wells to Sacramento in a three-team deal involving the Utah Jazz, NBA sources confirmed.

The deal won’t be announced until the NBA’s moratorium is lifted because of a delay in finalizing the collective bargaining agreement.

Wells, though, will go to Sacramento for guard Bobby Jackson while the Kings will send Greg Ostertag to Utah.
The Jazz also will send forward Curtis Borchardt, and guards Raul Lopez and Kirk Snyder to Memphis.

The 29-year-old Wells was considered the best guard available now that Ray Allen, Michael Redd, Bobby Simmons, Larry Hughes and Cuttino Mobley have agreed in principle to sign new deals.

The Grizzles also had more than cursory conversations with Boston, Dallas, Washington, Detroit and Utah.

Griz president Jerry West has shopped for deals since Wells was unceremoniously and inexplicably removed from the team during the playoffs. The team also is seeking to move guard Jason Williams and would like to consummate a sign-and-trade deal with free agent guard Earl Watson. -- Ronald Tillery: 529-2353

Last edited:
:( It never gets easier to lose them, does it?? Bobby was such an awesome person and player. The community will miss his involvement dearly. I hate seeing him go. But it's understandable, and In Petrie I Trust.

Yeah, losing Bobby hurts. The heart and soul of the team is now gone. Divac, Webber, Christie, Jackson... I guess it's time to move on.

Aside from the emotions. What does this mean?

1. Kings now have the SG position solidified, and have a physical, though player out on the perimeter again.

2. Kings are now on the market for a backup point. House for the vet minimum? I don't think they'll be leaving it all on this Price kid on the summer team, although he would be an interesting 3rd PG to stash away.

3. Kings still have the MLE to use. Options include: using it to rectify the PF situation (Reggie Evans, Steven Hunter), Backup C or PG.

4. The Philly Three are still here. Is Petrie's next move to swap 1-2 of them for a new starting PF?

5. Mo Evans is likely out of the picture.

The part of the trade I do not like is that we are losing some of our valueble bargining chips plus Bonzi can walk away at the end of year like Cat did. I hate to see us bleeding talent like we are doing now.

Last edited:
i am sorry but what the hell utah is doing? send out raul lopez, snyder and burchardt to get back greg ostertag??? who will run the point? larry miller must have lost that final piece which was the place-holder for a brain.

wells, bibby, peja; interesting trio. who will get to shoot?

F

Fillmoe

this is awesome! thanks for all the great memories bjax......
whats wrong with utah? why would they take ostertag back? LOL

now i know petrie has alot more up his sleeve!

Let's see...we trade two players who basically didn't play last year for a SG (not shooting guard, we've had those...I mean Scoring Guard because Bonzi can create his own shot) who has trouble with discipline playing for a coach who demands none...Good Trade! But I will miss the Bobby Jackson of 2-3-4 years ago.

I am sad to See Bobby go but I think we all knew this day was around the corner.

I am verrrrry happy to see TAG go, now I don't have to bare another season of "why didn't we play tag" as our excuse to a loss. As if he would of made any difference.

I am on the fence in regards to Wells. RA has had troubled players before and they usually work well in his system. I could see him as a nice fit but I will wait and see. As always with any player that comes here I see his offensive numbers increasing, his rebounds and defensive skills decreasing :)

Okay thats gives us a starting 2. Now we need a real starting PF.

Ryle said:
Split the MLE between Steven Hunter and Earl Watson and then let's start the season.....
oooh! interesting idea... i'm thinking of going after reggie evans, but he's restricted now. evans vs. hunter?

like the rest of you i am very sad to see bobby go. this trade is similar to the christie one in that we are trading a heart and soul player, but a player whose health is questionable. we got the best of the christie deal seeing how his season went. im excited to see how bonzi can fit into our system.

also, am i missing something here. i am really trying to figure out what the jazz got. if i read it correctly they only got tag. seems to me as if the pure state of utah has now started smoking crack.

Great Great MOVE by Petrie we got rid of injury plagued Jackson (I love him for everything hes done for the Kings) but you have to move on eventually. We just got a whole lot more talented, If Bonzi gets his head together he came be a tremendous player.

none of our core have a back as of up now. we need some decent backups to do anything.
(i dont think of skinner as backing up brad, i think of him backing up KT)

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
I guess Kevin Marting will have to wait another year to start at the SG spot. As for us bleeding talent and Wells just walking away at the end of the year. Ostertag and Jackson were both set to walk away at the end of the year as well. Ostertag is back in Utah for one reason and that is to retire there.

Kings agree to three-way trade
Sacramento to acquire Wells; Jackson headed to Memphis, Ostertag to Utah
By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 1:23 pm PDT Friday, July 22, 2005
Another one bites the dust.

The Kings on Friday agreed to trade one of their mainstays when they dealt guard Bobby Jackson and center Greg Ostertag to the Memphis Grizzlies for guard Bonzi Wells. The deal is part of a three-way trade that will send Ostertag back to the Utah Jazz for young swingman Kurt Snyder, center Curtis Borchardt and guard Raul Lopez.

The deal was confirmed by Wells' agent, William Phillips.

MLS
Geoff Petrie, Kings president of basketball operations, said he was limited in what he could say because of the league's moratorium while its Collective Bargaining Agreement is finalized.

Petrie did say, "There is a trade we intend to make with Memphis and Utah when the moratorium is over."

Wells, 28, averaged 10.4 points and 3.3 rebounds in an average of 21.6 minutes during 69 games last season for the Grizzlies. He will be paid $8 million this season in the final year of his contract. Jackson, whose primary problem during his past three seasons with the Kings has been injuries, was the 2002-03 NBA Sixth Man of the Year.

Last season, Jackson played in just 25 regular-season games because of a torn left ligament. One of the team's most ferocious and competitive players, Jackson averaged 12 points per game on 42.7 percent field-goal shooting. He returned to play in each of the five games during the first-round loss to Seattle and averaged 5.2 points in 15.8 minutes per game.

Jackson will make $3.375 million in the final year of his contract.

Ostertag, who played his first nine seasons with Utah before signing as a free-agent last summer with the Kings, had a disappointing single campaign with the Kings. He broke his hand during training camp and had trouble getting into good physical shape following that set back.

Ostertag, 32, who averaged 9.9 minutes, 1.6 points and 3 rebounds during 56 games, will earn $4.4 million in the final year of his contract.

With the recent departures of Chris Webber, Vlade Divac, Doug Christie and now Jackson, only Mike Bibby and Peja Stojakovic remain from the 2002-03 team that lost to the Dallas Mavericks in the Western Conference semifinals.

For more details, see Saturday's Bee.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Im happy!!

I've always liked Bonzi's game, and to get him for a injury liability, and someone who didn't fit in is great.

HE gives us some attitude, which I also like alot.

But NOW, I would like House to be brought back. I think he can be a great spark off the bench. He only got better as he began to learn our system, and if he is a full-time backup, I think it could be successful.

Someone else that may be interesting is Juan Dixon, but i doubt he could be trusted to run an offense like ours, as he's very me-first.

Or how about Dan Dickau? Hmm, the possibilities are now endless.

Oh, and yes to whoever said it earlier, I think O-Tag/Utah/Sloan reunion is quite funny.