Bonzi news from hoopsworld

R

Rome

Gotta agree with Brick here.

Wells was the only one who showed up in the playoffs and was the reason he kept us alive for a while. Those who think its not a big deal if he leaves are pretty blind.

You know, I was going to rebut each of your points but I finally realized it would be like arguing quantum physics with my cat...

;)

Right, and you're taking an NBA player at face value on the issue of money. I thought we weren't supposed to resort to personal attacks on this board, by the way.

Gotta agree with Brick here.

Wells was the only one who showed up in the playoffs and was the reason he kept us alive for a while. Those who think its not a big deal if he leaves are pretty blind.
I'm blind? :rolleyes: I just think we have capable players to replace him is all...

Joe Maloof stated, very clearly, signing Bonzi is a priority. If something great comes up, I would be disappointed if they didn't look at it but right now all indications are that Bonzi is back with the Kings if its up to the owners of the team.

Your "source" also speculated that Whisenant was going to be the next coach.
No, he said that he overheard some guys in grabbing stuff from the fridge that said people will be "suprised". That was when all the people in the office were talking about bringing Whis in as coach. We tried to disect it from there, and figured there wasn't much to it and that "probally" whis would be coach. But turns out it WAS a suprise right? So he was correct. We had just overanalized it to the point of being incorrect.

Look, I am not saying my friend is on the inside. I never have. Just saying he tells me that we will NOT sign Wells, and will go into the season with Martin. I tend to agree with that. He does have a couple friends he is making in high places though. Maybe he can get them to slip up.

Last edited:
Well, if so, then we'll replace Wells spot in the rotation with a swingman with some experience. While Martin starts.

Right now though, I'm ultimately thinking Bonzi's back in Sac.

Does anyone else think that Kevin Martin is about to explode. This dude should be starting, I thought we played our best ball when Bonzi was coming off the bench anyways. The good thing about Bonzi coming off the bench is he can back up both the 2 and the 3 so there will be minutes for him, but would Bonzi come back to be a stackhouse type killer sixth man?

Bonzi isn't gonna come off the bench. He still wants to start, I don't think one year changes his views on being utilized like that. In reference to 04-05 with Memphis and Fratello not giving him good minutes, and being a bencher.

He'll likely leave if we're gonna do that.

Does anyone else think that Kevin Martin is about to explode. This dude should be starting, I thought we played our best ball when Bonzi was coming off the bench anyways. The good thing about Bonzi coming off the bench is he can back up both the 2 and the 3 so there will be minutes for him, but would Bonzi come back to be a stackhouse type killer sixth man?

Yes I have a feeling like this kid is going to explode. Watching him play I can see a glimpse of him being VERY good. I think making that last shot in the playoff game did something for him.

If he starts than look for him to be a REAL good player. Not just someone that fills up the stat sheet, but someone that can guard, and do the intangibles.

I tend to agree with you, but Bonzi did give the classic team speak, "I'll do whatever I have to do to help the team even if it means coming off the bench" after he came back. If it wasn't for KMart getting injured mid year Bonzi may never had made back into the starting lineup. Now I don't really know if Bonzi really cares about the team or Kevin's developement, but he gave no indication that he was unhappy with his role off the bench

Bonzi isn't gonna come off the bench. He still wants to start, I don't think one year changes his views on being utilized like that. In reference to 04-05 with Memphis and Fratello not giving him good minutes, and being a bencher.

He'll likely leave if we're gonna do that.

And that is why I think that he will not be back.

This team is going in a new direction. Look at all the pieces we have moved this last year. You have to ask yourself why resign someone that is 30+ years old when we are a couple years from decent playoff contention? Why not build with Martin. He has the tools to be a great player. Same goes with Garcia. Picking the best available player in the draft does pay off down the road.

You sign guys like Bonzi to come off the bench, to play roles. Not to start for the next 3-4 years.

Bonzi just turned 30. I'd like to see Bonzi back because he gives an extra force and intensity. Bonzi's not a bench player yet, he's still a proven starter.

I'd be cool and fine if we have Martin starting, as he'll be able to develop much faster. Just that we'll have to get an experienced guy to replace Bonzi in the rotation. Not gonna have Artest and 2 or 3 young guys.

Bonzi said he was okay with coming off the bench then because of the situation of the team while he was out. I'd think not for the rest of his good years.

But, in the end, I still think Bonzi's gonna be back.

I still wonder, though, that even considering the very substantial benefits of having Bonzi on the roster with his toughness, rebounding and intangibles, if the best outcome would be a S&T for someone like Nene. The more I look at the draft, the more I look at the free agent market... except for Pryzbilla, who will likely be out of our range, barring an unforeseen trade there really isn't a big man who is going to help all that much. And considering Bonzi's age, personal history and the fact that Kevin Martin and Francisco Garcia could be really really good... Hmm... I'm torn on this one.

This one's got sign and trade written all over it. I love what Bonzi did last season and the playoffs but I'm not ready to sign him to a long term deal with starter money. Fact is, with his track record, I think his trade value will never be higher and the Kings have needs outside of what he brings. While I'm not totally comfortable with Martin/Garcia as the 2 guard combo, I think you could put together a great trade involving Bonzi and pull in much more needed parts. This is classic business, sell high to someone else when you have the chance.

Nbrans, sdballer, I'm with you guys. I really like Bonzi, but its hard for me to ignore that his two best years were contract years. If there was a S&T for Nene I think you've got to do that. Only for a good S&T though. I don't think he just walks because the only teams that would really want him would MLE him, and he's definitely worth at least that much to us.

I still wonder, though, that even considering the very substantial benefits of having Bonzi on the roster with his toughness, rebounding and intangibles, if the best outcome would be a S&T for someone like Nene. The more I look at the draft, the more I look at the free agent market... except for Pryzbilla, who will likely be out of our range, barring an unforeseen trade there really isn't a big man who is going to help all that much. And considering Bonzi's age, personal history and the fact that Kevin Martin and Francisco Garcia could be really really good... Hmm... I'm torn on this one.
I'd be open to a S/T with Nene, for sure. Martin/Garcia/guy with exp./Artest at the wings would be good.

You know...I'm not very high on Pryzbilla anyways. YEah, he always plays well against the Kings, but so did Jerome James, so di Rodney Buford...and what happened to them? Anybody with decent post-up skills can have a shaq-like game against Brad MIller.

More importantly he is the exact player we need. I don't care if he averages 20 and 10, those 3 blocks a game in a little over 20 minutes a game is what we need. He's a good rebounder too.

I don't see any way in how we get Pryzbilla...he'll get more money and more playing time somewhere else. I don't see how a Sign and Trade would work with the Blazers either...

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Isn't the Bonzi to X, Y or Z talk most likely from his agent as part of a larger marketing scheme to maximize his $$, give Bonzi has said "it is not just about the money". So that means IT IS ABOUT money, but not just money. That puts Sacto in the lead. In 9 days we'll see when FA's can be talked to.

R

Rome

You know...I'm not very high on Pryzbilla anyways. YEah, he always plays well against the Kings, but so did Jerome James, so di Rodney Buford...and what happened to them? Anybody with decent post-up skills can have a shaq-like game against Brad MIller.
have you seen this guy's stats. He averages almost as many rebounds as Brad Miller does in only in only 24 minutes.