Bonzi news from hoopsworld

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Word is hoopsworld is about as reliable as my cat...

"Commonly believed he'll land with the Pistons or the Pacers?" Commonly believed WHERE? In hoopsworld?

Good lord.

The only thing I think they have "right" is "an informed source says that's unlikely" in reference to a sign and trade. Yes, it's unlikely because Bonzi isn't going anywhere.

Last edited:
http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_17765.shtml

Bonzi Wells (unrestricted) –
Word is Bonzi will not be back with the Kings, its commonly believed he’ll land with the Pistons or the Pacers, both teams have hinted at an interest in Bonzi. It is possible Bonzi is signed and traded by the Kings, but an informed source says that’s unlikely.

Hmm...
So Bonzi goes to either team for the MLE???? Highly unlikely and considering he would come off the bench for both teams this sounds a bit far-fetched.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't see him going unless the Kings really don't want him, which would go against everything I have heard recently.
Exactly. Let's look at the facts:

Bonzi has done everything but take out billboards - at least as of today - to indicate that he wants to stay in Sacramento, that it's not just about money, and that he finally feels at home.

Joe and Gavin have done everything, including comments on national TV - but no billboard to date - to indicate they want to keep him.

Okay, based on those facts, the logical assumption is that Bonzi is going to just pick up and go to either Detroit or Indiana.

Yep, makes perfect sense to me.

i really wouldn't care if we didn't resign bonzi because either way we are screwed in the end cuz we have musselman as a coach. hehe kinda kidding, but not really.

Bsktball.com was an awesome site and I'll never forget following it every day to keep track of Webber's free agency in 2001, but it's been mostly crap ever since it became Hoopsworld. I have a feeling this is one of those situations where Bonzi's agent calls up Hoopsworld and plants a rumor about Bonzi going somewhere else to try and drive up his value.

That said, I honestly wouldn't be that surprised to see Bonzi walk. It would suck royally, but I don't believe the Maloofs are going to be tax payers, and if we're going to use the MLE and LLE it means no overpaying Bonzi.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bsktball.com was an awesome site and I'll never forget following it every day to keep track of Webber's free agency in 2001, but it's been mostly crap ever since it became Hoopsworld. I have a feeling this is one of those situations where Bonzi's agent calls up Hoopsworld and plants a rumor about Bonzi going somewhere else to try and drive up his value.

That said, I honestly wouldn't be that surprised to see Bonzi walk. It would suck royally, but I don't believe the Maloofs are going to be tax payers, and if we're going to use the MLE and LLE it means no overpaying Bonzi.
And what, pray tell, do you base that on?????

Joe and Gavin have done everything possible to indicate they want to re-sign Bonzi. The only time they did more was when they actually DID pay for a billboard to indicate they wanted a player to stay.

I don't think this article is based on Bonzi's agent. I think it's based, as captain bill said, on some old rumors. The guy who wrote clearly didn't do his homework IMO.

And, bottom line, IF the Kings deicde not to keep Bonzi, Petrie is going to move heaven and earth to get a sign and trade deal done. Bonzi is NOT just going to walk. Not unless Petrie has been taken over by alien life forms with the GM acumen of a dead turtle.

:eek:

And, bottom line, IF the Kings deicde not to keep Bonzi, Petrie is going to move heaven and earth to get a sign and trade deal done. Bonzi is NOT just going to walk. Not unless Petrie has been taken over by alien life forms with the GM acumen of a dead turtle.

Hopefully those alien life forms do not return this summer. Remember what they did last summer? Mobley left to the Clippers despite rumors of a sign-and-trade to Denver.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Mike0476 - Bonzi >>>>>>> Mobley.

Those sign and trade rumors were just that - rumors. I just don't think anything was ever offered that Petrie and/or Mobley were interested in. Remember, Mobley would have had to agree to a sign and trade. He went to the Clippers because IMO he wanted to get to the bright lights and big city of Los Angeles.
------------------------------
SacTownKid said:
The Maloofs WANT Bonzi to stay.
And they're not the only ones. I don't think Petrie would have brought him here if he didn't intend to keep him. I really think Geoff may have had an idea about trading Bobby and then getting him back all along. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if that was indeed the case, although we'll never know - unless Petrie writes a killer tell-all book after he retires.

;)

I agree with "Bonzi >>>>>>> Mobley." I do not miss Mobley at all.

Should Petrie write a killer tell-all book after he retires, I'll be one of the first to purchase it. A DVD of it would be nice too just so we could see an actor playing Petrie make calls to other GMs as he would use his Jedi Mind Trick on them. :)

1. i would so buy that book
2. i would be verry disappoi8nted if the kings didnt resign bonzi wells and i dont think id be the only one
3. im not worryin b/c i have a feeling they will

ps petrie should write that book, id def be interested to know if he intended to get bobby back

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Hoopsworld really does suck. Very amateurish, and them saying something like this is likely as not some 16 year old speculating about what he thinks should happen according to NBA Live.

Now get me a rumor like this from realgm or hoopshype or any of the legit sites/sources and my ears will perk up.

BTW, for the "factual" side of things, this bozo is effectively suggesting that Bonzi would take the MLE to play in Detroit or Indy ratehr than $9mil to play for us/ The ONLY way I could see that happening would be if a) Bonzi's obvious rapport with Adelman caused him to soiur on us once Rick was let go; and/or b) there really is some lingering stink between Musselman and Bonzi from their Memphis days. Otherwise, nope.

Joe and Gavin have done everything possible to indicate they want to re-sign Bonzi. The only time they did more was when they actually DID pay for a billboard to indicate they wanted a player to stay.

I don't think this article is based on Bonzi's agent. I think it's based, as captain bill said, on some old rumors. The guy who wrote clearly didn't do his homework IMO.

It's based on a few things. One, if you're over the tax threshold, with the new CBA there's no more mystery about whether or not you're going to pay the tax or not. You're going to pay. The Maloofs got away with a few years over the cap withotu paying the tax, but no more.

Second, the Maloofs had the opportunity this past year to go over the cap and they didn't take it. They even downgraded from Skinner to Potapenko specifically to avoid the tax.

I really really really hope I'm wrong. But recent history points toward the Maloofs not paying the tax. If they do re-sign Bonzi I doubt they'll use the MLE. I have a feeling it's going to be some comination of signings that leaves the team at or below $65 million.

It's based on a few things. One, if you're over the tax threshold, with the new CBA there's no more mystery about whether or not you're going to pay the tax or not. You're going to pay. The Maloofs got away with a few years over the cap withotu paying the tax, but no more.

Second, the Maloofs had the opportunity this past year to go over the cap and they didn't take it. They even downgraded from Skinner to Potapenko specifically to avoid the tax.

I really really really hope I'm wrong. But recent history points toward the Maloofs not paying the tax. If they do re-sign Bonzi I doubt they'll use the MLE. I have a feeling it's going to be some comination of signings that leaves the team at or below $65 million.
How do you downgrade from a player the coach never plays to a player the coach never plays. Sounds like 0-0=0 to me.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
We've had this discussion before -- resigning Bonzi does little to bump our salaries up unless he's signed to a megadeal. He's not in line for a huge raise given his already considerable salary.

Worst case scenario it becomes resign Bonzi OR sign somebody else with the MLE. A choice. Who exactly are we going to get with the MLE who is better?

And with likely at least one trade coming, lots of room to shift around salary amongst our pile of unwanted toys. We've got a $30 million frontcourt that was amongst the worst in the league in most traditional frontcourt categories. Lots and lots of room for changes, ending contracts etc. before you reach the stage of tossing your best player in the playoffs overboard.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
nbrans -

Recent history doesn't mean a thing, especially if you consider the overall atmosphere around the team. There was a pervasive "doom and gloom" feeling from the time Webber went down in Dallas. It never did get much better.

The team rallied but then when Webber was to return, there was a LOT of controversy about how he was worked back into the lineup.

Then, during the summer, the whole Vlade to LA and Peja temper tantrum scenario, not to mention the debacle of Webber daring to call out some of his teammates for not having the warrior mentality against Minnesota.

The departure of Doug Christie for Cuttino Mobley didn't sit well with a lot of fans, especially at the time.

Add to that the shocking - to most - trade of Webber to Philadelphia for spare parts, a move that was seen by many as a backing of Peja over Webber.

Add to that the attempt by the Maloofs to seduce the Zen Master - another move that met with a lot of speculation and contention.

What we've had over the past couple of seasons is a team in turmoil. It all came to a head this season. First, Petrie moves Bobby Jackson for Bonzi, a much more aggressive player - with baggage but tons of talent.

Then, in a move that truly SHOCKED a good percentage of the NBA world, the Maloofs acquired Artest for Peja. If that wasn't an indication that the Maloofs were serious about turning this franchise in a new direction, I don't know what would be.

Finally, they allow Adelman's contract to expire and we find out afterwards that things just haven't been good between the mercurial owners and the laid-back to the point of coma coach for some time.

Now, they're excited again. We're excited again. We have a new coach, who brings a new feel to our team. Only time will tell if it's the RIGHT feel but there are very few of even Adelman's strongest supporters who won't say the time had come for change.

You think they won't pay Bonzi what it takes to keep him? Au contraire. I think they've probably already got a contract written and are just waiting until July 1 to actually discuss it.

Mike0476 - Bonzi >>>>>>> Mobley.

Those sign and trade rumors were just that - rumors. I just don't think anything was ever offered that Petrie and/or Mobley were interested in. Remember, Mobley would have had to agree to a sign and trade. He went to the Clippers because IMO he wanted to get to the bright lights and big city of Los Angeles.
------------------------------

And they're not the only ones. I don't think Petrie would have brought him here if he didn't intend to keep him. I really think Geoff may have had an idea about trading Bobby and then getting him back all along. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if that was indeed the case, although we'll never know - unless Petrie writes a killer tell-all book after he retires.

;)
I have wondered about that for some reason and it really seemed like a stupid idea to me at first, but its beginning to grow on me. Imagine we get Peja back along with Bobby---Petrie would be regarded as amazing and incredibly clever. It would solve some of our bench problems if that really happened. Too bad Peja said he was most likely going to sign with Indy....

We've had this discussion before -- resigning Bonzi does little to bump our salaries up unless he's signed to a megadeal. He's not in line for a huge raise given his already considerable salary.
Re-signing Bonzi at $8 million doesn't mean we're just at where we were last season, because the salaries are escalating faster than the luxury cap threshold is rising. Depending on the source, the tax threshold will probably be around $65 million. It will be set by the league on July 1st. Even without re-signing Bonzi the payroll is around $55 million. So yeah, you can re-sign Bonzi at $8 or $9 million and sign the draft pick and still be right around the threshold. But that doesn't leave room under the tax threshold to use the MLE or LLE.

Like I said, I really really hope I'm wrong on this one, but I'd be pretty surprised if the Maloofs re-signed Bonzi AND used the MLE and the LLE. Barring a trade, I kind of think it's going to be one or the other -- Bonzi or the exceptions.

Last edited:
You guys put alot of stock in everybody saying what they are supposed to say. Why would Petrie bring in Bonzi if he didn't want to keep him? Because we needed a starting 2-guard for this year, Bonzi was going into a contract year (good behavior), and Bobby has not been healthy since ever. Not hard to pull the trigger on that one. Now, he's extraneous.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You guys put alot of stock in everybody saying what they are supposed to say. Why would Petrie bring in Bonzi if he didn't want to keep him? Because we needed a starting 2-guard for this year, Bonzi was going into a contract year (good behavior), and Bobby has not been healthy since ever. Not hard to pull the trigger on that one. Now, he's extraneous.
You know, I was going to rebut each of your points but I finally realized it would be like arguing quantum physics with my cat...

;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Re-signing Bonzi at $8 million doesn't mean we're just at where we were last season, because the salaries are escalating faster than the luxury cap threshold is rising. Depending on the source, the tax threshold will probably be around $65 million. It will be set by the league on July 1st. Even without re-signing Bonzi the payroll is around $55 million. So yeah, you can re-sign Bonzi at $8 or $9 million and sign the draft pick and still be right around the threshold. But that doesn't leave room under the tax threshold to use the MLE or LLE.

Like I said, I really really hope I'm wrong on this one, but I'd be pretty surprised if the Maloofs re-signed Bonzi AND used the MLE and the LLE. Barring a trade, I kind of think it's going to be one or the other -- Bonzi or the exceptions.
I think you're under-estimating the willingness of the Maloofs to spend money in the right circumstances.

We'll know soon enough.

I think you're under-estimating the willingness of the Maloofs to spend money in the right circumstances.
I hope I am. This team needs to re-sign Bonzi (or use him in a S&T) and use the MLE and use the LLE and a few more veteran minimum deals if it has any hope of contending next year.