Bonzi gone as Kings sign Salmons

Unbelievable. But how many of us would be bit**ing and moaning about Bonzi's contract a couple of years from now? Then again, we're doing the same thing with Salmons already. I have no clue what the hell is going on. Are we really going to rely on Williams and Amundsen for rebounding? A pair of rookie free agents?

PG-Mike Bibby, Jason Hart, Ronnie Price, Pooh Jeter
SG-Kevin Martin, Francisco Garcia, Quincy Douby
SF-Ron Artest, John Salmons
PF-Kenny Thomas, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Corliss Williamson, Louis Amundsen, Justin Williams
C-Brad Martin, Vitaly Potapenko

This can't be the end of the offseason for us, can it? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Then again, what if every GM in the league has turned Petrie down for a trade involving Thomas? One look at that contract and a background check later, he's still in Sacramento.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Unbelievable. But how many of us would be bit**ing and moaning about Bonzi's contract a couple of years from now? Then again, we're doing the same thing with Salmons already. I have no clue what the hell is going on. Are we really going to rely on Williams and Amundsen for rebounding? A pair of rookie free agents?

PF-Kenny Thomas, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Corliss Williamson, Louis Amundsen, Justin Williams

This can't be the end of the offseason for us, can it? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Keep in mind some of those signings are probably for no more than training camp.

I don't think we're done at all.

Looking at THIS Kings team, it will not get us past the first round of the playoffs providing the Kings make the playoffs. Therefore, I sure hope Petrie is not done.

Looking at THIS Kings team, it will not get us past the first round of the playoffs providing the Kings make the playoffs. Therefore, I sure hope Petrie is not done.
He can't be. Not getting SOMEONE who can bang, board, and block a couple of shots would be...well...irresponsible. We HAVE to get a center...plain and simple.

If Geoff doesn't want salary back, is it possible to sign and trade with a team that has a trade exception + picks? not sure how that works

Since the end of last year the Kings have said that they need to find a backup PG and that's what Salmons will be for us. Sure, he can slide over to the 2 and the 3 if needed, but from all I've read and heard since the signing, the plans are to make him our backup PG. It has also been said that Douby is gonig to play some point and I know that the Kings are also high on Price. With that said, I have to believe that they are tryhing to ship Hart out with another player such as KT or Potapenko or maybe even Cisco. Please let it be for Magloire.

My brother, who is a Sixers fan, says that Salmons is basically Garcia without the outside shooting and he also has a bad attitude and work ethic. Ugh, I don't understand this signing at all...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Where did you read that Salmon will be the backup PG?
That seems the safe assumption. Ran a bit of that in Philly, although he was used at 2 and even 3 at least as much. And with Kevin likely the starting 2, Ron at 3, Mike at 1, that really only leaves the backup spots for Salmons, Cisco, Douby and Price. Now all of those guys are kind of 1/2s or 1/2/3s, but Salmons is the onyl one who really has singificant backup PG experience -- just so so young (and assuming Hart is gone).

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Man, why are some people acting like were totally done this off-season? There's 2-3 months left.
Unless we are willing to go into taxland, we have been greatly injured as far as making future moves:

we:

a) signed Salmons to a contract which brings us near the tax threshhold

b) lost Bonzi, which has two effects 1) unless we go into taxland likely no sign and trade, so we lose a valuable trading chip; and 2) because we lost him and brought back a lesser guy, keeping the two kids we have becomes more important to stabilize that OG position and so they also are likely removed as trading chips

c) combine all that and we've likely lost a lot of our trading flexibility, and are looking at having to trade a soft big for a non-soft big straihgt up. That's tough to do.

Here is how the situation can be salvaged: the Maloofs open up the books, allowing us to go over the cap to S&T Bonzi as part of a package deal.

Last edited:
This sucks.

I wanted Bonzi back. It is tempting to blame the agent, and he certainly carries his share. Uh... if the Kings offer was insulting, why didn't you just accept one of the better offers?

Oh, right, THERE WERE NONE.

That aside, I don't see the need to bring Bonzi's weight into the equation. I never heard of that being part of the deal with Ostertag. And heck, if last season is an indication of how Bonzi plays overweight, then I say pack it on!

And we still don't have a frontcourt. Blah. I am depressed now.

Anyone want to guess what our team rebounding ranking will be next year?
~~

Amusing that that is the exciting news of the article.

Actually that's not entirely ture -- the mention of an S&T intrigues, but simply is not possible unless we are willing to go into tax territory. And if we are, then why did it ever reach this point.

As an aside, throwing in some insulting weight clause into the Bonzi offer shows roughly how serious we werre about it -- i.e., not at all.

Unbelievable. I really thought all along the Kings would definately resign Bonzi. Now, we find out they won't be resigning him, but have instead signed another Philly reject for probably $5-$6 million a year? Do the Maloofs and Petrie really want to win?

Pretty stupid overall, but I understand why. They told Bonzi to take it or leave it. He left it. What are you going to do.

But the real news is the signing of Justing Williams!!!! YAY!!! I have been anticipating this news more than the Bonzi thing to be honest. This guy is going to be AWESOME!

Originally Posted by Bricklayer

Here is how the situation can be salvaged: the Maloofs open up the books, allowing us to go over the cap to S&T Bonzi as part of a package deal.

Why didnt' the Maloofs just open up their books to sign Bonzi in the first place? Very disappointing!
Exactly. Instead of offering Bonzi something like $7M a year they would rather give Salmons $5M a year for presumably financial reasons alone. That thought is not comforting, unless Petrie knows more about Bonzi and/or Salmons than he is letting on (possible, but seems far-fetched).
~~

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
LOTS of problems with doing a sign and trade with Bonzi IF his agent was blowing smoke up his arse about his value. First a team he wants to play for has to want him bad enough to do a S&T for the value he expects to get. Second the Kings have to want the pieces that the reciving team offers up. All of this gets multiplied about 100 fold when the Agent thinks he is in the drivers seat.

Take the BEST offer they have had off the table and replace Bonzi and it is clear to EVERYONE that Philips has NO cards left and is now looking to just not be the the fool who screwed his client.

NOW IF the Kings want to make a sign and trade happen THEY call the shots and Philips will pretty well have to agree to any offer that nets Bonzi close to what the Kings final offer was. even if it sends him to Toronto or worse.

Do the Maloofs and Petrie want to win...obviously not. This signing is a joke. How can you give up the full MLE for him? Close to half the roster are SG's- and still no help for the front court. Just plain sickening.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Exactly. Instead of offering Bonzi something like $7M a year they would rather give Salmons $5M a year for presumably financial reasons alone. That thought is not comforting, unless Petrie knows more about Bonzi and/or Salmons than he is letting on (possible, but seems far-fetched).
~~
Uh, the Kings offer was reportedly for about $7 million per year (5 years, $35 million, you do the math) and Salmons is for less than the MLE - about $ 4-4.5 million per year.

And it's pretty easy to cast around "for financial reasons alone" when it's not your money, especially when you are looking at going into the luxury tax and the deal gets more and more financially restrictive as the years roll by....

Uh, the Kings offer was reportedly for about $7 million per year (5 years, $35 million, you do the math) and Salmons is for less than the MLE - about $ 4-4.5 million per year.

And it's pretty easy to cast around "for financial reasons alone" when it's not your money, especially when you are looking at going into the luxury tax and the deal gets more and more financially restrictive as the years roll by....
5 years $25.5 million. They're telling me that Bonzi "I averaged 20 and 10 in the playoffs" Wells is only worth $2 million a year more than John F'n "I barely get off the bench" Salmons? Unbelievable.

That is very good that both sides are willing to do a sign and trade. Bonzi is at the Kings mercy though. The kings have to find a deal where they can get pieces they actually want. If not, the only thing Bonzi has left is the MLE from some team.