Bogi's Slump

It could be. What is worse is he developed the problem playing meaningless minutes at the end of the season when he was clearly exhausted.

Just horrible management by the Kings.
Not even a mention that Bogs actually suffered the injury playing meaningless euro hoop even though he specifically said he was going to take the summer off last season? Bogs didn't manage his own health correctly.

Not even a mention that Bogs actually suffered the injury playing meaningless euro hoop even though he specifically said he was going to take the summer off last season? Bogs didn't manage his own health correctly.
No Bog’s suffered the injury at the end of the NBA season. He had to have further clean up over the summer.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Well technically he thought he was healed but I agree he needs to rest, get stronger with weights and work on his game. But.....
I don't think strength is his biggest issue right now. Bogdanovic has wide, broad shoulders and a decent amount of strength. What's hurting him is he is so slow and can barely jump which makes his problems that much more obvious.

Bogi has a proven track record of being a good basketball player, not just in the NBA but internationally for people to just write him off over a bad couple month stretch, but to each their own. Something just hasn't been right and I feel we will get more insight after the season. I still feel he will be an important piece for this team going forward.

I don't think anyone doubts pop and the Spurs would get the most out of him. Maybe we pick up the phone and vet their interest ?

Would be strengthening a direct competitor for playoff seeding next season

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bogi has a proven track record of being a good basketball player, not just in the NBA but internationally for people to just write him off over a bad couple month stretch, but to each their own. Something just hasn't been right and I feel we will get more insight after the season. I still feel he will be an important piece for this team going forward.
From your lips to the Great God Naismith's ears. ;)

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I don't think anyone doubts pop and the Spurs would get the most out of him. Maybe we pick up the phone and vet their interest ?

Would be strengthening a direct competitor for playoff seeding next season
Addition by subtraction if he doesn’t find himself.

He’s had one good season,

He’s had one bad season.

Which one is going to show up next season? If we keep him, I hope we prepare a backup plan because this version Bogi isnt a playoff player.

Addition by subtraction if he doesn’t find himself.

He’s had one good season,

He’s had one bad season.

Which one is going to show up next season? If we keep him, I hope we prepare a backup plan because this version Bogi isnt a playoff player.
He was playing well this season too up until the turn of the calendar year. It's has gotten really bad for the last month. His season went from good, to meh to yikes.

problem with Bogdan is his confidance.. from his early days, even when he was a kid he was, he was most important player on the team and somebody that had keys of a team and somebody that was required to score.. first season, with Fox rookie year, Buddy not exploding like this, Gilles being on bench he was one of most important guys here..

now tables have turned and he is option 4 or 5, he then tries to hard, takes bad shots, his confidence goes lower, plus the injury and so on.. so he is just bad in second half of the season..

he just needs to realise that his job now is to be 6th player, to be leader of second team, that he doesnt have to score 15 or 20 per game.. and I think once he gets in this place, once he restores his calmness, than you will see Bogdan from rookie year..

many European players have problems adjusting, that they are not first options anymore, Bogdan was lucky that Kings team last year was a team where he was that option, but he hit the wall this year..

but I do not worry about him, after summer with national team and next year when he will get his role better, he will be good..

He has one year left on his deal and we aren't going to get value for him this summer. The only option is seeing how he comes back next year.

I feel like what maybe happened is he had a long string of bad games, and then he started to get into his own head. After continuing his stretch of poor play maybe he's obsessing about it and it's consuming him, possibly dreading every game thinking "Am I going to shoot poorly again?". Instead of letting the game come to him he could instead be treating every game like it's "is this the day?".

I don't want It to seem dark or anything. What I typed out seems really dark lol. All I'm trying to say is he could be deep in his own head. It's really hard to get out of a place like that sometimes.

His confidence might be shot and he's desperately trying to turn it around.

problem with Bogdan is his confidance.. from his early days, even when he was a kid he was, he was most important player on the team and somebody that had keys of a team and somebody that was required to score.. first season, with Fox rookie year, Buddy not exploding like this, Gilles being on bench he was one of most important guys here..

now tables have turned and he is option 4 or 5, he then tries to hard, takes bad shots, his confidence goes lower, plus the injury and so on.. so he is just bad in second half of the season..

he just needs to realise that his job now is to be 6th player, to be leader of second team, that he doesnt have to score 15 or 20 per game.. and I think once he gets in this place, once he restores his calmness, than you will see Bogdan from rookie year..

many European players have problems adjusting, that they are not first options anymore, Bogdan was lucky that Kings team last year was a team where he was that option, but he hit the wall this year..

but I do not worry about him, after summer with national team and next year when he will get his role better, he will be good..
I think he needs to skip the national team this summer, rest and work on his game. I doubt he will but he needs to.

I noted this on the other thread, but had a friend (a Kings fan) who was at Staples last night. Close to the action, on the floor.

Anyway, we were texting about Bogie and his decline. I mentioned that I heard he was injured and he said that Bogie's ankles were heavily taped up. But the tape was hidden because of his socks. And, at this stage in the year, no player is playing at full speed. And feet are the most likely chronic injury at this time of the year (when I was hooping everyday in my 20s, my feet were a mess from calouses and blisters and strain).

Injuries would make sense, given his lack of lift. He's been getting by on craft for a while.

That said, I think his play is a combination of injuries, ISO ball (on him), and having to play next to Fox (when in the starting 5), Yogi (who's game, I am starting to absolutely hate), and Burks (just not a enough time to adjust). Fox, Yogi, and Burks need the ball to be most effective--as does Bogie.

I'm confident he'll bounce back and will bounce back well next year.

At this rate, it wouldn't surprise me if the Kings pick up Yogi's option next year and then trade him. Or let him walk. At the Suns game, I was near the Kings bench, sat diagonal to the court, directly facing the Kings bench--so when Joeger turns to the bench or when players return, they were directly in my line of sight. On one play, Bags was battling in the paint, spinning and sealing. And Yogi just danced, pounding the ball for a few seconds doing pretty much nothing (he does it often and it usually results in him taking a shot). Joeger called a TO and was ******ng at Yogi while he was walking to the bench (not sure if it was noticeable on TV)--Bags also went over and had a chat with Yogi while they were walking to the bench. Think this was the third quarter. Yogi never saw the court again. Kings need a different kind of bench guard. A Brogdon type, who can swing between the 1 and 2 on defense.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It did come out in the post game that Joerger said that Bogs' game isn't suited to the fast break Kings style and that the difference in styles may have contributed to his slump. I remember Joerger alluding to this dynamic months ago, saying that Bogs' style may not be suited to the fast break style, but that he can help the Kings in the slower set up offense that they have to do. All of the above tells me that management and coaching are aware of this mismatch in Bogs' game and the Kings game. It will be interesting to see what comes of it. In my opinion, I don't see a great match between Bogs' game and the Kings' game, even if he is healthy.

A lot of good points on this page about injuries, fast break style not suiting his game, etc.

However none of them really explain the terrible shot selection when not necessary.

Nagging injuries can explain missed shots. Nagging injuries may also explain some of the over-dribbling. He's having a harder time taking his man off the dribble so he's having to dribble more trying to probe and get the defense off balance. This is leading to more turnovers such as the ball being knocked out of his hands and hurried shots as the shot clock winds down.

What makes zero sense though is shooting contested step back 3's early in the shot clock. Pulling up and shooting 30 footers off balance with 12-15 seconds left on the shot clock. I don't know how a player goes from being unselfish to a fault (last year) to now being a glorified chucker.

It did come out in the post game that Joerger said that Bogs' game isn't suited to the fast break Kings style and that the difference in styles may have contributed to his slump. I remember Joerger alluding to this dynamic months ago, saying that Bogs' style may not be suited to the fast break style, but that he can help the Kings in the slower set up offense that they have to do. All of the above tells me that management and coaching are aware of this mismatch in Bogs' game and the Kings game. It will be interesting to see what comes of it. In my opinion, I don't see a great match between Bogs' game and the Kings' game, even if he is healthy.
If Bogi was doing well in the half court offense, I doubt this thread would exist.

I can see that point of view that Bogdan's game is better suited for the half court game. While the Kings starters are trying to run and gun, Bogs can definitely come in with the second unit and establish a slower paced half court offense with the bench players. The starters can't run the whole game, that would be impossible, so we need to learn how to slow it down and run half court set offenses when the 2nd unit come in.

I think the Kings should define Bogdan role as the leader of the 2nd unit and keep him as the 6th man next year. Bogdan is very versatile and can be a 6th man of the year candidate every year.

The team is trying to keep up the super fast pace with the 2nd unit, but I think this team needs to learn that it is okay if the 2nd unit slows it down a bit, if that plays better to those players strengths.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I can see that point of view that Bogdan's game is better suited for the half court game. While the Kings starters are trying to run and gun, Bogs can definitely come in with the second unit and establish a slower paced half court offense with the bench players. The starters can't run the whole game, that would be impossible, so we need to learn how to slow it down and run half court set offenses when the 2nd unit come in.

I think the Kings should define Bogdan role as the leader of the 2nd unit and keep him as the 6th man next year. Bogdan is very versatile and can be a 6th man of the year candidate every year.

The team is trying to keep up the super fast pace with the 2nd unit, but I think this team needs to learn that it is okay if the 2nd unit slows it down a bit, if that plays better to those players strengths.
The problem with that scenario is that you typically want your second unit congruent with the style of your first unit because if there are injuries in that first unit the 2nd unit guys have to fit in. Also, even if there aren't injuries, the 2nd unit guys on an individual basis have to be congruent with the starters in case there is one or more starters that are just having a bad night and the coach wants to sub for them. For these reasons, and because of Bogdan's question marks, I continue to be doubtful how he is going to fit in with this team going forward. I don't expect he's going to be with this team in the long term.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
A lot of good points on this page about injuries, fast break style not suiting his game, etc.

However none of them really explain the terrible shot selection when not necessary.

Nagging injuries can explain missed shots. Nagging injuries may also explain some of the over-dribbling. He's having a harder time taking his man off the dribble so he's having to dribble more trying to probe and get the defense off balance. This is leading to more turnovers such as the ball being knocked out of his hands and hurried shots as the shot clock winds down.

What makes zero sense though is shooting contested step back 3's early in the shot clock. Pulling up and shooting 30 footers off balance with 12-15 seconds left on the shot clock. I don't know how a player goes from being unselfish to a fault (last year) to now being a glorified chucker.
Thank you! I keep saying a slump makes you play bad... not stupid.

Bogi didn't in his wildest dreams think he'd be the 6th or 7th best player on this team when the year started. Yet here he is. This has to be the biggest adjustment he's trying to get through. Bogi isn't even the top dog on the 2nd unit. That belongs to Marvin at the moment. The pecking order has been in flux and Marvin is about to come out on top. Yogi and Bogi are fighting it the most.