Bogi's Slump

No two ways about it. Outside of Milwaukee where he had possibly his best game
In the NBA( 28-8-8 I think) and I think the Clippers game where he made a lot of his open threes. He’s been struggling bad. Especially since the break.

He may be battling something now but the running thread through this season In my view is he has had no lift on his jump shot and as the season wore on, he has lost the ability to beat defenders as well which hurts his playmaking ability. Last season he didn’t hit these walls and it’s noticeably a problem with his movement. They mentioned the foot earlier when he had a rough stretch of shooting games after that game winner vs LAL but never went back to it and I have to believe they would’ve rested his by now. I fear it may have more to do with the surgery he had in the offseason.

I still love his game and he’s still just the type of player we need off the bench. Despite his off shooting he still averaging 15-4-4 as mainly a reserve and I’m confident he won’t be a career 40 percent shooter. I think he’s hampered in some way but the scary thing is you know he won’t get the rest and offseason workout program he’ll need since these euro guys always run themselves ragged in the offseason.

The talk was a toe injury. Is he still feeling the effects of it and is it something serious? Those are big questions. You can only imagine how a toe injury would affect a guard's shot in a system like this. Even a simple set up involves running around screens and more often than it should revolves around getting curl screens for looks away from the hoop into a pull up jumper. If you are having lingering toe issues that probably more than anything will screw up your shooting consistency.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
when the season ends there will be a report about how he was playing with an injury most of the season and that resulted in his struggles, let's see what it is this time around.

I don't understand the injury thing. If it's so bad that he can't be productive, then why is he playing? The Kings tend to be extra cautious with injuries, so this would be out of the ordinary. If Bogi is injured, but not telling the team, well then he's being selfish and possibly affecting his career earning potential.
I think the concerning thing is if the injury is not of the nature that it will improve if he rests it. Shouldn’t usually be the case with what I knew of his injury in the summer, but..

I think he’s in his head, but I’m not sure I see the same crisp agility

I'm over this dude.

Let's review that one sequence in the Boston game. Drives into the paint, Horford takes the ball from him like he's a four year old, Kings get it back, he chucks up a contested 3 that bricks, blows a wide open layup off the cut. About a minute after that, he fouls Jaylen Brown.

Not to mention that one point where he allows Gordon Hayward's gimpy *** to blow right by him by... running moderately fast.

I think Joerger's finally caught on though, played only 17 minutes tonight.

No two ways about it. Outside of Milwaukee where he had possibly his best game
In the NBA( 28-8-8 I think) and I think the Clippers game where he made a lot of his open threes. He’s been struggling bad. Especially since the break.

He may be battling something now but the running thread through this season In my view is he has had no lift on his jump shot and as the season wore on, he has lost the ability to beat defenders as well which hurts his playmaking ability. Last season he didn’t hit these walls and it’s noticeably a problem with his movement. They mentioned the foot earlier when he had a rough stretch of shooting games after that game winner vs LAL but never went back to it and I have to believe they would’ve rested his by now. I fear it may have more to do with the surgery he had in the offseason.

I still love his game and he’s still just the type of player we need off the bench. Despite his off shooting he still averaging 15-4-4 as mainly a reserve and I’m confident he won’t be a career 40 percent shooter. I think he’s hampered in some way but the scary thing is you know he won’t get the rest and offseason workout program he’ll need since these euro guys always run themselves ragged in the offseason.
Well said and agree with it all. I just want him to get some rest.

I'm over this dude.

Let's review that one sequence in the Boston game. Drives into the paint, Horford takes the ball from him like he's a four year old, Kings get it back, he chucks up a contested 3 that bricks, blows a wide open layup off the cut. About a minute after that, he fouls Jaylen Brown.

Not to mention that one point where he allows Gordon Hayward's gimpy *** to blow right by him by... running moderately fast.

I think Joerger's finally caught on though, played only 17 minutes tonight.
With all due respect....bullcrap

I mean... where was there anything wrong in that post?
DJ finally catching on is bullcrap imo. He loves Bogey and his game. He’s struggling, but it looks like injuries are clearly bothering him. Just seems like people are piling on the guy. He’s one of the better players on this team and I have confidence that he will return to form. He’s a smart an fundamentally sound player who can ball, that alone makes him invaluable to this team . Just my 2 cents

gunks

Hall of Famer
DJ finally catching on is bullcrap imo. He loves Bogey and his game. He’s struggling, but it looks like injuries are clearly bothering him. Just seems like people are piling on the guy. He’s one of the better players on this team and I have confidence that he will return to form. He’s a smart an fundamentally sound player who can ball, that alone makes him invaluable to this team . Just my 2 cents
The fact that Bogi is a smart, fundamentally sound player is what makes this season so bizarre.

He's not playing hurt, he's playing selfish and dumb. I think the piling on is warranted.

It's weird, because last year he would have a positive impact even when he wasn't shooting well. Heck, I remember games where he shot like ****, but still looked like our best player out there, precisely because of his BBIQ. Rookie Bogi always seemed to make the right play.

Sophomore Bogi is a ball stopping, bad shot taking, turnover machine. It may be that he's being pigeonholed into a role he isn't ready for, or perhaps he's over compensating to keep up with an ever improving Fox and Buddy?

Who knows. ... hopefully Joerger and Vlade can help him get his groove back. Bogi shouldnt be this bad, lingering injuries or not.

The fact that Bogi is a smart, fundamentally sound player is what makes this season so bizarre.

He's not playing hurt, he's playing selfish and dumb. I think the piling on is warranted.

It's weird, because last year he would have a positive impact even when he wasn't shooting well. Heck, I remember games where he shot like ****, but still looked like our best player out there, precisely because of his BBIQ. Rookie Bogi always seemed to make the right play.

Sophomore Bogi is a ball stopping, bad shot taking, turnover machine. It may be that he's being pigeonholed into a role he isn't ready for, or perhaps he's over compensating to keep up with an ever improving Fox and Buddy?

Who knows. ... hopefully Joerger and Vlade can help him get his groove back. Bogi shouldnt be this bad, lingering injuries or not.
Ever since the Laker game he thinks he's James Harden with the stepback 3. As you say, it's frustrating because we have no clue where this ball hogging is coming from given how good he used to be at moving the ball and playing smart.

When he came to the kings last season I saw him as a great pickup.
Pretty good outside shot, smart decisions, gets his own open looks and I can go on.

I do not know what went wrong but believe it’s just maybe a combination of things.
Lingering injury, body wearing down, playing him a way that is not to his strengths?

How about he rest and work on his shooting during the off season and then see where we are at.
It’s hard for me to believe he in one season goes from arguably one of our most consistent players to where we perceive where he is right now.

Lmao.

See we've fully moved on from WCS being the goat to Bogi. Someday, Kings fans might actually appreciate their good players.
He hasn't been a good player for a while now... I'm assuming it may be due to nagging injuries we don't know about? Either way, he needs to sit and figure it out. He's doing more harm than good unfortunately, and it shows. Season is pretty much toast, minus some sort of miracle. Why continue the wear and tear on his body?? Shut him down and pray he comes back better next year!

Injuries, teams adjusting to his play, him adjusting to new players, and playing too much ISO ball.

Injuries have sapped his ability to explode. You can see it. He rarely jumps. Getting by on craft on both sides of the ball.

Teams no longer guard him when he drives. They sag and cover the roll man. And bet that they'll be able to alter his shot--because of the lack of explosion.

Yogi and Bogi are not optimal together. Both need the ball in their hands to be most effective. Burks and Bogi are not optimal. Both need the ball in their hands to be most effective.

ISO ball is entirely on him.

Saw Bogi bringing the ball up quite often and when he does it’s not pushing the ball and puts us in the half court game which is not actually one of strengths.

So why does Bogi get so many shots? Him and Bjelly took double digit shots tonight and were the worst shooters on the floor (with Buddy but at least Buddy is hustling). Bogi is shooting too much, his usage is too high, him and Bjelly stunk it up tonight and I'm tired of seeing it. That was a pee poor effort especially from Bogi tonight.

Bjelly was extremely poor tonight. Took as many shots as Barnes and scored 12 less points. Why Bogi had 14 shots for 9 pts and Bjelly had 11 shots for 4 pts is way beyond me. They need to sit they bums by Frank Mason right about now.

It's clear he is unfit, battling injuries or dealing with something. You don't go from a solid player to woeful having played and produced in the best leagues in the world for no reason.
No part of him looks like he is dealing with an injury. Could be something we don’t see, but his shot looks fine, he’s been able to play 30 mpg, etc. His game just looks different. Last season he was all about making plays for others and taking high percentage shots if he had them. This season it’s hero ball and pass if hero ball can’t work.

I think he most likely is playing with a minor injury perhaps even multiple nagging injuries.

That would explain the slight reduction in speed, agility, lift, etc. To me he doesn't look quite as nimble as last year.

However nagging injuries don't explain terrible shot selection. They don't explain taking contested step-back threes and off balance 30 footers early in the shot clock.

Half of his shots look like he just says to himself "screw it I'll throw this one up"

Bogi looks hurt to me. Probably the toe or some other injury that you can play through. His shot is off but then so is Belly's and Buddy's since the break:)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It's not just Bogs's shot. Christie rightfully used the word, "engaged" a few games back when referring to Bogs, as in he's not engaged. In the game (I think it was the Wizards) Christie was referring to Bogs having no idea where the ball was on the court (he was just looking at the man he was covering) and as a result he was oblivious when the opposing player went in for a layup a few feet from him. In the last game there was a play in which Bogs was near the basket and just watched the ball bounce on the floor about 8-10 feet from him after a Philly player's shot careened off the rim. Of course a Philly player went and scooped it up and made a layup. To me, Bogs is getting dangerously close to the "checked out" category. Maybe his bad offense is demoralizing him in other aspects of the game; it's hard to tell what's behind it all.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
It's not just Bogs's shot. Christie rightfully used the word, "engaged" a few games back when referring to Bogs, as in he's not engaged. In the game (I think it was the Wizards) Christie was referring to Bogs having no idea where the ball was on the court (he was just looking at the man he was coering) and as a result he was oblivious when the opposing player went in for a layup a few feet from him. In the last game there was a play in which Bogs was near the basket and just watched the ball bounce on the floor about 8-10 feet from him after a Philly player's shot careened off the rim. Of course a Philly player went and scooped it up and made a layup. To me, Bogs is getting dangerously close to the "checked out" category. Maybe his bad offense is demoralizing him in other aspects of the game; it's hard to tell what's behind it all.
That’s telling. Even though Christie’s a goofy ham, I take his actual basketball words and criticisms at 100% Fact value.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
That’s telling. Even though Christie’s a goofy ham, I take his actual basketball words and criticisms at 100% Fact value.
Yes, Christie isn't exactly a "negative Nancy," that's for sure. If he's offering up something like that there is usually good reason.

Yes, Christie isn't exactly a "negative Nancy," that's for sure. If he's offering up something like that there is usually good reason.
Does not seem to be the Washington game. Just re-watched it (the parts that Bogdan was in). Could not find that play or comment. Bogdan did look engaged though rotating, boxing out, and even getting into a showing match with a Wizards player which indicates opposite of checked out.
I am curious to see this cause I don't get the sense that he does not care. I'll do Boston tomorrow.

No part of him looks like he is dealing with an injury. Could be something we don’t see, but his shot looks fine, he’s been able to play 30 mpg, etc. His game just looks different. Last season he was all about making plays for others and taking high percentage shots if he had them. This season it’s hero ball and pass if hero ball can’t work.
Playing a different position when he is best utilized off the bench. As others have noted his assist numbers are still very good