Bogi's Slump

I want him gone this offseason. I’m so far off the bandwagon.
I'm not going to say I want him gone just yet, he was playing well enough as the sixth man off the bench, but he's been really bad.

At this point I'm not sure you can even call it a slump. It might just be who he is. He's changed as a player, and most definitely NOT for the better.

If he can't revert back to his old self and cut out his newfound iso ball/hero ball tendencies then we're in trouble.

People defend him vigorously on this board, but at some point you need to call a spade a spade. He needs to get it together.

At this point I’m not really sure what Bogie has done to warrant being in the starting five. His penchant for taking bad, dumb shots is only accentuated when he’s taking them in lieu of getting the ball to Fox or Buddy.

I have never seen a guy go from being good to bad like this since that time Marcus Thornton forgot how to play basketball
Yep, he has slowly chipped away my faith in him this season.

Thinking this season slump has much to do with the offseason surgeries

He's been playing bad for 2 months now. He went from our most consistent solid player to a struggling player to the point where his play hurts the team.... His 3pt shooting has gone from good to bad. Here's his monthly progressions: 38.9>35.9>32.5>26.9.

Only thing I can think of is injuries... it's just a head scratcher

While he’s been a tad off this season, I think people are completely blowing this out of proportion. He’s fine. He’s dealt with some injuries that are going to impact ones game. He may not bring playing 100% like himself, but certainly not bad. My big issue is the flatness of his shots, which can be directly attributed to knee and foot issues

gunks

Hall of Famer
I'm starting to buy into the theory that hitting the buzzer beater against the Lakers convinced Bogi he's an all star. The slump and his new ISO heavy play style really did start after that game.

He needs to heal up and humble up this off-season. Vlade should send him to one of those "spirituality retreats" in Goa that middle aged women go to when they're sick of the 'burbs. He can chill on the beach and get his chakras right. :p

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I'm starting to buy into the theory that hitting the buzzer beater against the Lakers convinced Bogi he's an all star. The slump and his new ISO heavy play style really did start after that game.

He needs to heal up and humble up this off-season. Vlade should send him to one of those "spirituality retreats" in Goa that middle aged women go to when they're sick of the 'burbs. He can chill on the beach and get his chakras right. :p
That’s what should happen. Instead he’ll continue to run himself ragged with national team responsibilities.

:(

IMO Bogi like most players is better when they have a consistent role. Sixth man suits him at this point IMO. It would be nice to see him have a chance to just focus on the pick and role game with the Bigs. He is in a shooting slump as well. Meanwhile Buddy is on a season long tear to All Star level play. I agree that Bogi should take the summers off as the NBA is a long grind. But you know the loyalty these men have to thier National Teams.

Bogi is 6th man. If injury is keeping him from shooting 35% or better atv3 then he needs to sit out. There are better players if he is a non threat from deep at this point.

Bogdan never was a guy that should be the primary or secondary creator in your lineup, at least if we try to be a playoff caliber team. Bogdan is a solid bench player on a good team. I saw way too many posts that we shouldnt draft someone because Bogdan supposedly would produce 80-90% of what a possible primary ball handling creator would produce. No, Bogdan is not that player on a good team. A classic case of fanbase overrating their own player.

Bogdan is a smart player, makes the right plays, streches the floor, can operate pick n roll some ect. He is not a guy that should have the role of primary/secondary ball handler for the majority of the game. To me he projects as a the guy that is a great third option and a solid secondary guy on your 2nd unit, aka relatively valuable player. He still has good rpm numbers compared to our other players so he obviously does good things on the court. He just isnt a player that is too meaningfull on your teams success if you aim for post season success or atleast he isnt a guy you plan your future around

Bogdan never was a guy that should be the primary or secondary creator in your lineup, at least if we try to be a playoff caliber team. Bogdan is a solid bench player on a good team. I saw way too many posts that we shouldnt draft someone because Bogdan supposedly would produce 80-90% of what a possible primary ball handling creator would produce. No, Bogdan is not that player on a good team. A classic case of fanbase overrating their own player.

Bogdan is a smart player, makes the right plays, streches the floor, can operate pick n roll some ect. He is not a guy that should have the role of primary/secondary ball handler for the majority of the game. To me he projects as a the guy that is a great third option and a solid secondary guy on your 2nd unit, aka relatively valuable player. He still has good rpm numbers compared to our other players so he obviously does good things on the court. He just isnt a player that is too meaningfull on your teams success if you aim for post season success or atleast he isnt a guy you plan your future around
I agree with this...in a way.

In regards to playmakers, we have Fox and Bogdanovic is next in line. Bogdanovic's Assists per 36 min are pretty good (5.1 AST), and his AST/TO ratio is an impressive 2.31 (38th among players who have played 25+ games & average 25+ mpg). Absolutely no complaints there.

We have a lot of players who can score on this team and make shots. We need Bogdan to continue to make the right pass and to not force his shots. His shots have gone from 12.8 last year to 16.5 this year per 36 min. That's quite a huge jump. Most players aren't going to maintain their efficiency with such an increase. Not to mention 66.7% of his 3PA last year were catch & shoot threes. This year, that has dropped to 61.8% in favor of more pull-up threes.

I think what gets him into trouble is his shot selection. When he makes the pass, he does it very effectively & efficiently. When he takes the shot, it can sometimes be forced . I think his decision making on the pass has been good/great, but his decision making on the shot has been poor this season.

Sometimes I think Hield's development has resulted in Bogdan trying to press more on offense and to take more shots. He needs to play within himself and play smart basketball like we all know he can do.

In regards to playmakers, we have Fox and Bogdanovic is next in line. Bogdanovic's Assists per 36 min are pretty good (5.1 AST), and his AST/TO ratio is an impressive 2.31 (38th among players who have played 25+ games & average 25+ mpg). Absolutely no complaints there.

We have a lot of players who can score on this team and make shots. We need Bogdan to continue to make the right pass and to not force his shots. His shots have gone from 12.8 last year to 16.5 this year per 36 min. That's quite a huge jump. Most players aren't going to maintain their efficiency with such an increase. Not to mention 66.7% of his 3PA last year were catch & shoot threes. This year, that has dropped to 61.8% in favor of more pull-up threes.

I think what gets him into trouble is his shot selection. When he makes the pass, he does it very effectively & efficiently. When he takes the shot, it can sometimes be forced . I think his decision making on the pass has been good/great, but his decision making on the shot has been poor this season.

Sometimes I think Hield's development has resulted in Bogdan trying to press more on offense and to take more shots. He needs to play within himself and play smart basketball like we all know he can do.
Very good post. Yes he has a tendency to force up shots and overdribble when he should make a pass and then move. Hes trying to do too much.

I also agree he needs to remain a 6th man, coming off the bench and leading the second unit.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
In regards to Bogs' role, Divac wanted to move him out of the role as primary ballhandler. That's why there was all the talk about getting Jeremy Lin. Yogi, though I love him, is a scorer, not a point guard type. By getting Lin (or some other point guard type), the Kings could have moved Bogs out of that primary ball handler position. Look for something to be done about this in the off-season.

I agree with much of this take. What I don’t understand why all the vitriol at the player.

In Joeger’s small ball line up, Bogi’s role is to shoot and create his shot. Fox is, and should be, the primary ball handler. Bogi is playing the role Joeger has put him in!

Yes I like him much better off the bench paired with Yogi and Giles where Bogi is dishing assists and alternating with Yogi as the primary ball handler. He has shown great chemistry with both Yogi and Giles.

But it’s not Bogi’s fault Joeger is playing him in a shooter role!

I feel sorry for Bogdan, but honestly, he needs to sit down for the next few games and take the time to work on his confidence, his shooting and his role in the team. And then he should repeat all of that during the summer. I see a lot of people talking about his injury - that was a long time ago and certainly can't affect him anymore. Players come out from far worse injuries and play great, so that's not an excuse.

The other problem is Joerger. He's been playing Bogdan on positions 1, 2 and 3, then off the bench, then as a starter and so on and so forth. There's obviously no consistency. On top of that, Bogdan has been a SG his whole life, doing a lot of shooting, attacking the rim, resolving games in the crunch time, etc. He's not a PG nor he's SF. We need to find the way to utilize him as SG if we want to get the most out of him.

We're not going to the Playoffs anyway now, so it's probably the right time to start working on his development ASAP.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The thing that concerns me most about Bogdan is his lack of quickness and speed, which makes it difficult for him to separate from defenders. (Reynolds also commented on that earlier in the season). He just doesn't have the separation from the defender that you would want. He is definitely not Ginobili in that regard, who was highly athletic and quick when he was 26 years old. There's only so much you can do at the 2-guard position with craft and guile. There have been numerous times this season in which he has over-dribbled (and it was commented upon by Christie and Grant) because I believe he's compensating for his lack of quickness and lack of separation. If you can't separate from defenders because you're not quick enough you're forced to dribble a lot to try to separate from defenders by craft and guile.

He's not a 3&D guy because his D ranges between mediocre and solidly good, not very good to excellent. He can hit the open shot. He's not good at rebounding; he's definitely not good at getting loose balls. He's good at using screens and getting the ball to a rolling center, but he's not a point guard. If he really devoted himself to moving without the ball on offense and catching and shooting I could see him being an asset to this team. If he were really adept at that aspect of the game, he could incorporate some of his ball handling in a secondary way and it would be the icing on the cake. But is he really that kind of guy?

We've had almost two years of Bogs data. What we've seen is someone very inconsistent. Is it time to say that what we've seen on the court for the last two years is what he is, or is there a better Bogs buried underneath the inconsistency?

Next season I will be very disappointed if Bogs doesn't put this season behind him and plays more like he did in season 1. He should be hitting the 3 at 40% and not playing in a play maker role but more as Buddy has done as a finisher catch and shoot guy.

Part of the problem is this team struggles to get a good shot at times. The continued development of Bagley, Giles and Fox will go a long way in getting Bogie into a 6th man role that fits his strengths. There is no need to iso Bogs when Fox Giles Bags or Barns are better attackers. Bogs can play off that like Hield does.

The thing that concerns me most about Bogdan is his lack of quickness and speed, which makes it difficult for him to separate from defenders. (Reynolds also commented on that earlier in the season). He just doesn't have the separation from the defender that you would want. He is definitely not Ginobili in that regard, who was highly athletic and quick when he was 26 years old. There's only so much you can do at the 2-guard position with craft and guile. There have been numerous times this season in which he has over-dribbled (and it was commented upon by Christie and Grant) because I believe he's compensating for his lack of quickness and lack of separation. If you can't separate from defenders because you're not quick enough you're forced to dribble a lot to try to separate from defenders by craft and guile.

He's not a 3&D guy because his D ranges between mediocre and solidly good, not very good to excellent. He can hit the open shot. He's not good at rebounding; he's definitely not good at getting loose balls. He's good at using screens and getting the ball to a rolling center, but he's not a point guard. If he really devoted himself to moving without the ball on offense and catching and shooting I could see him being an asset to this team. If he were really adept at that aspect of the game, he could incorporate some of his ball handling in a secondary way and it would be the icing on the cake. But is he really that kind of guy?

We've had almost two years of Bogs data. What we've seen is someone very inconsistent. Is it time to say that what we've seen on the court for the last two years is what he is, or is there a better Bogs buried underneath the inconsistency?
Well pretty much every single thing you just said sounds about right to me so I'm just gonna give you a thumbs up instead of posting my own thoughts.

Get him back in a position to spread and spot shoot. He's being asked to do too much and if he's got a bum toe on top of it then putting him in a more stationary position should help.

The issue is that the offense gets worse if he is not played in the playmaking role when Fox is not on the floor. they try to play him as a spot up shooter/cutter from time to time and the offense always looks dicombobulated to me (when Fox is sitting). if they had a true backup PG then maybe you could play him at his natural position

Bogdan is very careful when the subject of injuries comes up. He may be playing hurt all the time. I think he is a skilled player, but not that athletic comparded to the competition. He has a good handle and is a great pick and roll player. His shooting is disappointing. He gets beat off the dribble by opposing players a lot. Just a little slow with his feet. I like him for his smarts and toughness, but he may not be the best fit for the "fastest team in the league." He may be more effective coming off the bench in the future.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I really hope there’s no delusion of this guy being part of the core moving forward.

Kind of bright side... he can ONLY go up, right? Can’t get any worse

He played better in the 2nd half, but there comes a point where a slump isn't a slump. It just is.
I don't get how he could go from being good to bad in a matter of months.. If he doesn't get his footing back, I won't be surprised to see him traded in the offseason. Jack of all trades type of player... but apparently master of none? Not with how inconsistent his jumpshot has been

I don't get how he could go from being good to bad in a matter of months.. If he doesn't get his footing back, I won't be surprised to see him traded in the offseason. Jack of all trades type of player... but apparently master of none? Not with how inconsistent his jumpshot has been
Structural injury? I hope not