Bogdan Bogdanovic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talented SG who can handle the ball. The biggest negative is that he'll be 25 once he comes over. Won't have a lot of room for mistakes, at least I don't think he could afford to. Especially since he's coming into the NBA at such a later age. On defense, he should be better than he is. Currently average at best...mostly below average.

I'd prefer if he came over this year. He would've definitely gave Ben a real fight for starting SG. Main reason why he's not coming is for financial reasons. If he waits 1 more year, he won't be paid the rookie scale. He will get to negotiate whatever contract he wants to with the Kings.

Talented SG who can handle the ball. The biggest negative is that he'll be 25 once he comes over. Won't have a lot of room for mistakes, at least I don't think he could afford to. Especially since he's coming into the NBA at such a later age. On defense, he should be better than he is. Currently average at best...mostly below average.

I'd prefer if he came over this year. He would've definitely gave Ben a real fight for starting SG. Main reason why he's not coming is for financial reasons. If he waits 1 more year, he won't be paid the rookie scale. He will get to negotiate whatever contract he wants to with the Kings.
Do you know if he can come over this year then re-negotiate next year or would he start his three years or whatever on the rookie scale? I heard Phoenix was supposed to try to bring him over this year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thanks for breaking this out for discussion, Section 101. :)

I like Bogdanovic and I personally believe he's been on Vlade and Peja's radar for some time. I would love to see him come over sooner rather than later.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I really hope (wish?) he would come over this season. SG is right there for the taking.

Has it been 100% confirmed now that his rights belong to Vlade that he's staying overseas this season?

Do you know if he can come over this year then re-negotiate next year or would he start his three years or whatever on the rookie scale? I heard Phoenix was supposed to try to bring him over this year.
I don't think you can do that, but don't quote me on it lol. Suns really wanted him to come over this year, but he didn't want to mostly because of the contract. Once he waits out 1 more year, he'll be free to negotiate his worth. Very smart move by him, but I wish we could just negotiate a new contract right now. Would love to have him over immediately.

If he came this year he stuck on the rookie contract for the next 4-5 years.

I really hope (wish?) he would come over this season. SG is right there for the taking.

Has it been 100% confirmed now that his rights belong to Vlade that he's staying overseas this season?
Vlade said so. In the interview there became confusion over the big center not coming over and Vlade clarified that Bogdanovic would not but the center (can't spell name) would.

Vlade just said on Grant's show that he doesn't know for sure if Bogdanovic isn't coming over. He knows he wasn't for Phoenix, but will talk to his agent before he knows for sure.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Vlade just said on 1140 he's needs to talk to Bogdan's agent about him not coming over this year.

Didn't sound like he's coming, but didn't 100% confirm his staying away either.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer

Manu Ginobili was a 25 year old rookie. There are some advantages to coming into the league as a full-blown adult. The last time New York had a winning team they brought in a 28 year old rookie and a 35 year old rookie and both were 15+ mpg rotation players that season. And considering how meager the selection of veteran SGs is right now, that wouldn't be a bad way to go.

Manu Ginobili was a 25 year old rookie. There are some advantages to coming into the league as a full-blown adult. The last time New York had a winning team they brought in a 28 year old rookie and a 35 year old rookie and both were 15+ mpg rotation players that season. And considering how meager the selection of veteran SGs is right now, that wouldn't be a bad way to go.
Since Bogdan is a older, you kind of expect him to come into the league right away and contribute effectively. That may or may not be a burden on him. He's certainly talented enough to be a very good scorer in the NBA. There's pros and cons being older. Drazen Petrovic was also 25 coming into the NBA.

The thing that's made Manu so good is his longevity. Hope we can see Bogdan follow in their foosteps.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Should be noted that the only reason Bogdan fell so far in the 2014 draft was the fact he was going to be stuck playing in Europe for a few more years. Definitely has more outright talent than his #27 slot would seem to indicate.

I have a question on the financial end of Bogdan Bogdanovic coming to the NBA. Could the Kings pay him more if they WANTED to? I mean his is an unusual situation being an established player in Europe. He does deserve more than the Rookie deal.

Does the NBA have a rule preventing teams from paying rookies more if they want to?

I have a question on the financial end of Bogdan Bogdanovic coming to the NBA. Could the Kings pay him more if they WANTED to? I mean his is an unusual situation being an established player in Europe. He does deserve more than the Rookie deal.

Does the NBA have a rule preventing teams from paying rookies more if they want to?
That is the whole point of the rookie contract, it's a set salary.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Since Bogdan is a older, you kind of expect him to come into the league right away and contribute effectively. That may or may not be a burden on him. He's certainly talented enough to be a very good scorer in the NBA. There's pros and cons being older. Drazen Petrovic was also 25 coming into the NBA.

The thing that's made Manu so good is his longevity. Hope we can see Bogdan follow in their foosteps.
Well being 25 and coming into the league from Europe isn't the same thing as coming into the league out of college. He's been playing against grown men over there. He's considered one of the best players in Europe, and apparently Vlade tried to get him last offseason but failed. He's very long at 6'6" with a 6'11" wingspan, and is considered a good athlete. Most scouts think that with the proper coaching, that defense could be one of his attributes. Remains to be seen of course, but with Joerger being a defensive minded coach, one has to believe he'll get the most out of him in that area.

I won't start worrying about his age until I find out if he's someone I want around for 10 years or not. I never did get this age thing, especially coming out of college. How long does the average player spend on one team. Lets say he's everything were looking for in a player, and he's only productive till he's 35 years old. That's ten years from when he enters the league. I may not even be alive then. So I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. To me, it's much ado about nothing.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Yeah, that's part of the CBA. Depending on where you fall in the first round, there's a set max and minimum for each spot. Obviously the number one pick gets the most, with each spot diminishing proportionally down to the 30th pick.

Well being 25 and coming into the league from Europe isn't the same thing as coming into the league out of college. He's been playing against grown men over there. He's considered one of the best players in Europe, and apparently Vlade tried to get him last offseason but failed. He's very long at 6'6" with a 6'11" wingspan, and is considered a good athlete. Most scouts think that with the proper coaching, that defense could be one of his attributes. Remains to be seen of course, but with Joerger being a defensive minded coach, one has to believe he'll get the most out of him in that area.

I won't start worrying about his age until I find out if he's someone I want around for 10 years or not. I never did get this age thing, especially coming out of college. How long does the average player spend on one team. Lets say he's everything were looking for in a player, and he's only productive till he's 35 years old. That's ten years from when he enters the league. I may not even be alive then. So I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. To me, it's much ado about nothing.
Should we start a pool?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

As Section pointed out, that's the point of a rookie contract. Teams can actually go between 80% and 120% of the scale value for each draft slot, but basically everybody goes to 120%.

BUT: Things work a bit differently for players who play internationally instead of in the NBA after they are drafted. In the first three seasons following the draft (for Bogdanovic, that's '14-'15, '15-'16, and '16-'17) the NBA team can only give the rookie scale. Starting in the fourth year after the player is drafted, the team may still use the rookie scale, or they may sign the player as a free agent (though they have to have the cap space to do so). So starting next year, Bogdanovic can get a significantly bigger paycheck, which is why he's not electing to come over this year.

Entity

Hall of Famer
As Section pointed out, that's the point of a rookie contract. Teams can actually go between 80% and 120% of the scale value for each draft slot, but basically everybody goes to 120%.

BUT: Things work a bit differently for players who play internationally instead of in the NBA after they are drafted. In the first three seasons following the draft (for Bogdanovic, that's '14-'15, '15-'16, and '16-'17) the NBA team can only give the rookie scale. Starting in the fourth year after the player is drafted, the team may still use the rookie scale, or they may sign the player as a free agent (though they have to have the cap space to do so). So starting next year, Bogdanovic can get a significantly bigger paycheck, which is why he's not electing to come over this year.
It would seem that coming over now would be best option for him. How much could he really expect to get offered next year with never played against NBA level talent. Come over now prove your worth this year and go for the big payday next year. If he lives up to hype it could be good pay day vs. coming. Next year it's still just hype.

You can watch the full game of Bogdanovic here. And if you squint real hard, you can also see Georgios Papagiannis sitting on the bench for the Greek side.

First impression - very active on both ends. Can run some pick and roll, catch and shoot off screen, not a volume shooter; more of a guy who get his shots within the offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.