Blake Griffin signs extension with Clippers

well that's the supermax extension

to qualify you need to meet one of the following during the first 4 years of your career:
- win MVP
- named starter in all-star game
- be named to any all-nba team TWICE

If Cousins doesnt get one of those, then he can get the max extension, which is 25% of the cap, compared to 30% being the supermax

to qualify you need to meet one of the following during the first 4 years of your career:
- win MVP

If Cousins doesnt get one of those, then he can get the max extension, which is 25% of the cap, compared to 30% being the supermax
so basically look for cuz to be an all out beast. his numbers were close to bynums last year and if things get better with him he could easily surpass bynum and be named a starter at C for the west.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer

- win MVP

Being named an All Star starter as a requirement is ridiculous. So basically, all the uneducated fans out there who don't know much who actually fill out the All Star ballots can end up netting a player more money. Every year we have a starter who shouldn't be one. If it was just making the All Star team I'd understand. But starting puts it into the fans hands.

Being named an All Star starter as a requirement is ridiculous. So basically, all the uneducated fans out there who don't know much who actually fill out the All Star ballots can end up netting a player more money. Every year we have a starter who shouldn't be one. If it was just making the All Star team I'd understand. But starting puts it into the fans hands.
Well, this is the whole Derrick Rose rule thing isn't it? I don't think it's that big of an issue. Say Jeremy Lin was a 1st rounder who's contract ends in 2014, and he gets voted into the next 2 all star games as a starter because of his international following - he'll be eligible for the supermax extension of 30% of the salary cap but there's no way the Knicks/Warriors/whoever would offer him that extension right?

I think the point of the rule is to give the opportunity to truly outstanding young players who "deserve" to get paid more (such as Derrick Rose) than their peers at the end of their rookie contracts.

$95 million over 5 years.... OUCH!
Horrible deal in my opinion.
There's no way a power forward averaging 19 points - 7 rebounds in playoffs, and playing little defense is worth $19 million a year.

I think that max deals should be for franchise players only.
In Clippers case, I think that Chris Paul is more valuable than Blake Griffin.

Just my 2 cents.

There's no way a power forward averaging 19 points - 7 rebounds in playoffs, and playing little defense is worth $19 million a year.

Just my 2 cents.
he brings in much more because of his popularity. Blake puts fans in the seats in addition to his 20 and 10 through the season.

Just my 2 cents.
well, he did average those numbers in what was, for all intents and purposes, his second season and still has a lot of upside. not tying him down for the max would have been an incredible mistake by the Clippers, and I say that as someone that cannot stand Griffin at all. couple that with the draw that FtP mentioned and this deal becomes a complete no-brainer.

Salary is about more than just basketball ability, it's about how much revenue you help generate for the team. If you've got enough fans to vote you as a starter to the all-star game, then you're probably generating quite a bit of revenue for the team regardless of whether you deserve it from a basketball perspective.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I wonder if several small tears can lead to a situation like Webber. I think so. It depends on whether they can repair the meniscus or snip away at what is there. More injuries could lead to these shock absorbers not doing their job and letting bone rub against bone. This is as much a guess as anything but this latest injury was caused by a minor event. In fact I couldn't see any twisting. This can't be good news for Griffen. How many minor twists need to happen before you have a major problem? I don't have any answer. Wait until he flies through the air and lands hard and awkwardly. His game is not "meniscus friendly."

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I wonder if several small tears can lead to a situation like Webber. I think so. It depends on whether they can repair the meniscus or snip away at what is there. More injuries could lead to these shock absorbers not doing their job and letting bone rub against bone. This is as much a guess as anything but this latest injury was caused by a minor event. In fact I couldn't see any twisting. This can't be good news for Griffen. How many minor twists need to happen before you have a major problem? I don't have any answer. Wait until he flies through the air and lands hard and awkwardly. His game is not "meniscus friendly."
Well, he did already miss an entire year thanks to a knee injury. That said, medical techniques have improved by leaps and bounds just in the short span since Webber's unfortunate knee injury.

Blake Griffin is the Vince Carter of this generation. Everyone loves him. He is well worth the contract for how much revenue he generates on his own already.