Bibby's defense

Anyone getting tired of seeing Bibby get torched on defense every game???

Watching Dickau beat Bibby off the dribble last night really burned me. It almost seems like he doesn't care about his defense and just wants to shoot the ball. I have a bad feeling about what Arena's will do on Tuesday and what Wade is going to do him on Thursday.

It's not really as much Bibbys fault as it is Webbers and Millers... Bibby gets no help, so alls they do is pick and roll all day... Even Bobby Jackson is getting torched, the front line is too slow... Nothing the Kings can do about it... Sometimes Bibby gets fed up and stops trying to get through the screen, that upsets me, but other than that, nothing you can do... Songaila provides quickness on the pick and roll, and it helps out Bibby alot... Usually the D is better with Darius in, but the offense and size, much worse...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Ryle said:
Anyone getting tired of seeing Bibby get torched on defense every game???

Watching Dickau beat Bibby off the dribble last night really burned me. It almost seems like he doesn't care about his defense and just wants to shoot the ball. I have a bad feeling about what Arena's will do on Tuesday and what Wade is going to do him on Thursday.
Arenas and Wade are nightmare matchups for him. Not much to be done about Arenas because of Larry Hughes, but Wade has been playing a lot of his more natural OG position of late, so if Damon Jones is in the game, should be able to match Doug up on Wade to get a little extra help.

Last edited:

piksi

Hall of Famer
Well, that is old news. He sucks defensively. The problem is that because of CWs and DCa health conditions, they are having the hard time doing their share at the moment so Bibby is exposed even more. My suggestion - JW treatement in the 4th. One can bring him in for offensive possesions in the last minute if needed.

Arenas is surely looking forward to the game on Tuesday but so is any other PG who needs a good game.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
Arenas and Wade are nightmare matchups for him. Not much to be done about Arenas because of Larry Hughes, but Wade has been playing a lot of his more natural OG position of late, so if Damon Jones is in the game, should be able to match Doug up on him to get a little extra help.
DJ is shooting well from outside. He might have an allstar performance on Thursday.

BTW - What players are not a nightmare matchup defensively for Bibby these days ?

SacKings384 said:
It's not really as much Bibbys fault as it is Webbers and Millers... Bibby gets no help, so alls they do is pick and roll all day... Even Bobby Jackson is getting torched, the front line is too slow... Nothing the Kings can do about it... Sometimes Bibby gets fed up and stops trying to get through the screen, that upsets me, but other than that, nothing you can do... Songaila provides quickness on the pick and roll, and it helps out Bibby alot... Usually the D is better with Darius in, but the offense and size, much worse...
Webber didn't even play yesterday so I'm not really getting your point. Last night he went around the screens(pure laziness) instead of fighting through them and he can't keep anyone in front of him. If you can't stop the ball it kills your defense and makes it worse than it usually is.

SacKings384 said:
You do realize the bigs have their own men to guard, right? It puts tremendous pressure on the defense when they constantly have to rotate, however slowly they appear to be doing it, over to help out. The part where Bibby gets left in the dust by his man absolutely IS his fault, and it isn't just on the Pick and Roll either. He gets broke down off the dribble constantly.

He gets broke down off the dribble AND he doesn't contest jumpshots. Even if he's relatively close to the man he is guarding he rarely puts the hand up.

Kingsgurl said:
The part where Bibby gets left in the dust by his man absolutely IS his fault, and it isn't just on the Pick and Roll either. He gets broke down off the dribble constantly.
I don't understand why the coaching staff won't help him improve on his defense, but then again, maybe they have.
sloter said:
He gets broke down off the dribble AND he doesn't contest jumpshots. Even if he's relatively close to the man he is guarding he rarely puts the hand up.
This part frustrates me. I don't understand why he won't put his hand up. You would think he's trying to save energy.

Another problem Bibby has is collapsing into the paint when someone drives inside. He always leaves his man wide open in order to help Webber and Miller. Thursday he can't afford to do this b/c Jones will light him up from three'sville.

Notice how the paint is defended much better when Tag is in there. If things aren't going right and teams are once again practicing their layup drills hopefully Adelman will have the common sense to give Tag a try, he's got 6 fouls!! Let him use them.

Bibby and defense cannot be put in the same sentence. He doesnt even care on the defensive end to try and he just stands there and lets the opponent go wherever they want to. Will have to wait and see what happens these next few games where the opponents have some good scoring point guards