Bibby Under-Rated........

Do you all think that Mike Bibby is not thought of as a top NBA player among some "experts" because he is not dominate or a loud talker...I think he is undervalued and I didn't realize that he was the second pick in 98'.....BTW, was the 98 draft weak or was is strong?....

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Just what "experts" are you talking about? It's pretty universally accepted that Mike Bibby is a top guard.

I don't know any media-types that think Bibby isn't a top 10 PG.

He's not my cup o' tea at PG, but he's undeniably good. So, in my estimation, he's more overvalued than under.

how do you figure he's overvalued?
If the media all love him and think he's awesome, and I don't ... then I would estimate he's overvalued, yes?

I think Mike Bibby has all the skills to be an amazing SG, but not the skills to be an amazing PG. He's got a little too much "me-itis" when he penetrates and he doesn't look to set up teammates as much as he could.

Watch when he gets into the lane or makes moves ... it's usually to set up his own shot.

While this is fine and dandy, and quite the norm with today's PGs ... I just don't like it.

Agree

Bibby is a shoot first point guard. Compare him and Nash when they drive the lane. As Roman says Bibby is almost always looking for his shot. In fact, given the offense I have seen so far, I think Bibby playing ball-hog and firing lots of 3's is our best offense. Unfortunately, this will lead to < 40 win season.

With a few exceptions, Bibby is one of my favorite PG's in the league. I don't think he is underrated, I just think as the team goes, his ranking goes.

I think Mike Bibby has all the skills to be an amazing SG, but not the skills to be an amazing PG. He's got a little too much "me-itis" when he penetrates and he doesn't look to set up teammates as much as he could.

Watch when he gets into the lane or makes moves ... it's usually to set up his own shot.
just like when he passed off to kmart at the end of the game to win it!! lol...he drove...then passed...maybe u shold watch him more

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
If anything he may be slighty OVERrated -- last year showed his limitations and alone he cannot make a team go -- but only slightly. He's clearly one of the better PGs out there and when rolling can play like a superstar on a given night.

I'd say he's overrated by this board and slightly underrated by the national media.

Looking forward, though, I worry that we might be running into a problem with Bibby -- point guards in the league are getting quicker and quicker. The speed demon point guard is fast becoming the status quo, and I don't know if Bibby is equipped to handle this new era. He was supposed to have gotten quicker in the offseason, but at 28 with a lot of miles that's just not realistic. Meanwhile, he can't get into the lane as easily as he used to and he gets killed on defense. The lack of penetration hurts his distribution and his overall offensive game. He's turning into a jump shooter -- thankfully he's good at that, but he's only going to become more one dimensional.

I wonder if this is the last season with Bibby at the helm. Now might be the time to cash in on his value and get one of the speed demons. If the Bucks get Billups in the offseason I'm hoping Petrie makes a move for Mo Williams -- he's only 23 and has the motor for the new era.

Do you all think that Mike Bibby is not thought of as a top NBA player among some "experts" because he is not dominate or a loud talker...I think he is undervalued and I didn't realize that he was the second pick in 98'.....BTW, was the 98 draft weak or was is strong?....
1998 NBA Draft
--------------
1st Round
---------

1. Michael Olowokandi Pacific LA Clippers
2. Mike Bibby Arizona Vancouver
3. Raef LaFrentz Kansas Denver
4. Antawn Jamison North Carolina Toronto
5. Vince Carter North Carolina Golden State
6. Robert Traylor Michigan Dallas
7. Jason Williams Florida Sacramento
8. Larry Hughes St Louis Philadelphia
9. Dirk Nowitzki DJK Wurzberg (Germany) Milwaukee
10. Paul Pierce Kansas Boston
11. Bonzi Wells Ball State Detroit
12. Michael Doleac Utah Orlando
13. Keon Clark Nevada-Las Vegas Orlando
14. Michael Dickerson Arizona Houston
15. Matt Harpring Georgia Tech Orlando
16. Bryce Drew Valparaiso Houston
17. Radislav Nesterovic Kinder Bologna (Italy) Minnesota
18. Mirsad Turkcan Efes Pilsen (Turkey) Houston
19. Pat Garrity Notre Dame Milwaukee
20. Roshown McLeod Duke Atlanta
21. Ricky Davis Iowa Charlotte
22. Brian Skinner Baylor LA Clippers
23. Tyronn Lue Nebraska Denver
24. Felipe Lopez St John's San Antonio
25. Al Harrington St Patrick's (NJ) HS Indiana
26. Sam Jacobson Minnesota LA Lakers
27. Vladimir Stepania Olympia (Slovenia) Seattle
28. Corey Benjamin Oregon State Chicago
29. Nazr Mohammed Kentucky Utah

A

AriesMar27

bibby is underrated, because no one expects him to pass the ball... i wonder if the kings would have drafted bibby if he had fallen that far instead of jwill....

man that draft was weak.....

How was that draft weak? I'd trot Bibby, Vinsanity, Pierce, Dirk, and a center by committee out on the court against many other draft classes and feel pretty good about it. J-Will, Hughes, Harrington and Jamison ain't a bad second team, and that's not even taking guys like Bonzi and Ricky Davis into account.

And even though the big men from this draft class weren't dominant, most of them have stuck around as solid role players with varying degrees of success.

just like when he passed off to kmart at the end of the game to win it!! lol...he drove...then passed...maybe u shold watch him more
I know one or two plays justify the norm when we're talking about Bibby and your screen-name is also Bibby ... but that's more the exception.

He CAN make the pass. He chooses not to.

Size almost always triumphs.

Kandi had all the potential in the world. That's the problem with projects. Some turn into KG ... the rest turn into Darius Miles and Kandi.
I knew Kandi when he was a UOP. If the Clippers had called me before the draft, I could have told them he'd be a bust. That boy is a lot of things, but motivated just isn't one of them.