bibby rated 8th best point guard in the nba

8) Mike BibbySacramento Kings

The Kings had a reformation year in 2005-2006, but someone forgot to tell Mike Bibby who averaged a career high 21.1 points-per-game; the first time that he had broken the 20 point barrier.

With the unpredictability of Ron Artest, this team will look to Bibby for leadership and he will be expected to provide it. With Peja Stojakovic and Chris Webber being sent off, it is clear that Kings management is looking to Bibby as its franchise player.

Even with the team being restructured, they were still able to make the playoffs and challenge the Spurs, but this team will only go as far as Bibby takes them.

http://www.realgm.com/src_feature/649/20060806/the_nbas_top_point_guards/

8) Mike Bibby – Sacramento Kings

The Kings had a reformation year in 2005-2006, but someone forgot to tell Mike Bibby who averaged a career high 21.1 points-per-game; the first time that he had broken the 20 point barrier.

With the unpredictability of Ron Artest, this team will look to Bibby for leadership and he will be expected to provide it. With Peja Stojakovic and Chris Webber being sent off, it is clear that Kings management is looking to Bibby as its franchise player.

Even with the team being restructured, they were still able to make the playoffs and challenge the Spurs, but this team will only go as far as Bibby takes them.

Bibby's a top ten PG, yes. For the rest of it...

I don't think Ron's really unpredictable anymore, and since coming to the Kings Ron has steadily become the main guy. Or at least the guy who will mostly be the main guy. I tend to lean towards the former. Which is a part of the new situation and new slate for Ron.

Bibby can be a leader sometimes, and has talked about doing it, but he hasn't shown consistency or much significance in being a leader.

I think the guy who put this little piece together is really off on this, and clearly doesn't follow the Kings that closely at all. Just based it on stats, and Ron Artest's past in Indiana before 2005.

Last edited:
8) Mike BibbySacramento Kings

Ok...ummm...did this guy watch our team at all last year?? I think we tried that once before...Bibby being the 'leader'...and THAT worked out great. Enter: Ron Artest. Enough said.

A

AriesMar27

^^^so bibby was a bad leader because peja couldnt hit his shots and hurt his pinky?

bibby is often the only guy on the court that gets his own shot consistently...

he isnt a bad leader, he just had bad followers... peja, thomas, thomas....

Bibby's a top ten PG, yes. For the rest of it...

I don't think Ron's really unpredictable anymore, and since coming to the Kings Ron has steadily become the main guy. Or at least the guy who will mostly be the main guy. I tend to lean towards the former. Which is a part of the new situation and new slate for Ron.

Bibby can be a leader sometimes, and has talked about doing it, but he hasn't shown consistency or much significance in being a leader.

I think the guy who put this little piece together is really off on this, and clearly doesn't follow the Kings that closely at all. Just based it on stats, and Ron Artest's past in Indiana before 2005.
you better knock on wood. He's lasted six months without a problem after almost a year and a half of not playing. I like Ron as much as the next guy, but saying his problems are in the past is a bit premature.

you better knock on wood. He's lasted six months without a problem after almost a year and a half of not playing. I like Ron as much as the next guy, but saying his problems are in the past is a bit premature.
It's been a year and a half.

I've followed the guy with good regularity since 2004 through various ways, that resulting in convincing me, that he isn't a wild-child anymore.

So, I'm pre-mature to you then on this, and guess what? We agree to disagree, chap. ;)

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I've posted my opinion on Bibby on a couple of other threads. I think Bibby can be a very good offensive pt guard. And I not just talking about scoring. Bibby can score, we all know that, but last year he shot around 42 percent for the field. I don't call that a good shooter. Its not terrible by todays standards, but its not good. I think he has to shoot less and pass more. Create more for his team. He's done in the past, so I know he's capable.

My biggest problem with him is his defense. Its for the most part terrible. He can't stay in front of his man. Not even when he plays off his man. I have no answer for that unless we somehow aquire a big that can help cover his mistakes. As for him being the leader of this team, not going to happen. Your either a leader or you not. Artest is. And maybe he's the first leader this team has had since Valde.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Not only does that snippet show the author has little clue what went on last year in Kingsland, it doesn't even make sense internally. a) Mike Bibby is the 8th best PG; b) he is now our franchise player? Man, apparently we are in some deep doodoo.

It's been a year and a half.

I've followed the guy with good regularity since 2004 through various ways, that resulting in convincing me, that he isn't a wild-child anymore.

So, I'm pre-mature to you then on this, and guess what? We agree to disagree, chap. ;)
It is true that he hasnt gone into the stands after 2004

He didnt want to play for the same team, where his teammates defended him and went into the stands to fight for him

He wanted to get into a trade tirade which made the pacers to bench him until he was traded

He was on the trade block for a really long time until the kings decided to take him

Just some facts that I thought were true

I think #8 is a fair asessment. The whole leader thing...well as far as scoring is concerned...yes. But, like others have already posted, this is Ron's team, and this year everyone is going to feed off him the way they did at the end of last year. In reality, Bibby may lead the team in scoring again, but our success this year will be based on Ron's ability to get us there.

He didnt want to play for the same team, where his teammates defended him and went into the stands to fight for him

He wanted to get into a trade tirade which made the pacers to bench him until he was traded
there are shades of gray to those statements. artest was being phased out of their offense, and i think pacers management was already actively shopping him behind the scenes (referencing an espn column i read on it during the time, don't know if they archive links).

he knew what was going down and decided to strike first. didn't go about it the best way, but this isn't a clear "ron's being crazy again."

indiana wanted him out.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
As stated by others - Mike is not a true team leader. If there is an A-1 top dog, Mike is great as the A-1-a guy and capable of taking over a game in spurts. But he is not the emotional team leader.

Right now, that's Artest. I think Mike is fine being the #2 guy behind a Webber, Vlade, or Artest. He's just not the vocal leader type.

It is true that he hasnt gone into the stands after 2004

He was on the trade block for a really long time until the kings decided to take him

Just some facts that I thought were true
The trade demand had justification, IMO. I know most Pacer fans will totally disagree. But looking at it from both sides, he didn't realize what he was getting into as the season went on, and it was for the best from both sides to move on. To be in different situations and new slates.

He's admitted he probably should of went about it differently, but can't change that now. It happened.

Jerryaki said:
(and i think pacers management was already actively shopping him behind the scenes (referencing an espn column i read on it during the time, don't know if they archive links).
Interesting stuff, I probably didn't get to read that, I've never really read many of ESPN's columns.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I really like what Artest did for our team, but I do get tired of revisionist Artest history. He completely punked the Pacers franchise by being a wildly undependable nutjob. Those are just the facts. And like many other things, I sincerely hope he at least is honest enough with himself to understand that the crap he pulled was bad enough that he had Stern thinking of just booting him from the league. Because if he's not, if he can't even get that he was wrong, then he's learned nothing and will be at serious risk of recidivism.

He was golden for us for a few months, doesn't mean we get to go back and rewrite the earlier chapters. Just means maybe he can steer himself towards a much happier ending.

Last edited:
I really like what Artest did for our team, but I do get tired of revisionist Artest history. He completely punked the Pacers franchise by being a wildly undependable nutjob. Those are just the facts. And like many other things, I sincerely hope he at least is honest enough with himself to understand that the crap he pulled was bad enough that he had Stern thinking of just booting him from the league. Because if he's not, if he can't even get that he was wrong, then he's learned nothing and will be at serious risk of recidivism.

He was golden for us for a few months, doesn't mean we get to go back and rewrite the earlier chapters. Just means maybe he can steer himself towards a much happier ending.
which part are you referring to as the revisionist part? i'll try to recall the best i can from the article; it did have some interesting points to it.

My friend, a life-long Pacer fan, absolutely despises Artest, passionately. He says it's only a matter of time until Artest blows up and takes the team with him. No need to borrow trouble though, I say. He may have learned his lesson.

That's what just about every Pacer fan says, it's definitely understandable because of Ron's past there. But, it's also one-dimensonal and not that realistic anymore.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm not about to excuse what artest did in the brawl. However, if I were sitting in the stands and a fan in front of me stood up and threw a beer in my face, I'm not sure I would have just stood there and been a model citizen. We expect these players to be examples of what society is susposed to be, when actually most are just immature kids. I realize he is being held to a higher standard because of who he is, but If I punch the guy who threw the beer, its not in the newspaper the next day, and I'm not labeled a nut case.

I'm not about to excuse what artest did in the brawl. However, if I were sitting in the stands and a fan in front of me stood up and threw a beer in my face, I'm not sure I would have just stood there and been a model citizen. We expect these players to be examples of what society is susposed to be, when actually most are just immature kids. I realize he is being held to a higher standard because of who he is, but If I punch the guy who threw the beer, its not in the newspaper the next day, and I'm not labeled a nut case.
Agreed. Also taking into account the guy just played a near-full basketball game, got shoved hard by someone, and then gets a beer thrown on his chin/head while he was laying down and away from the other players squaring off and being separated. It's understandable from that side, but at the same time of course, Ron shouldn't of gone in the stands.

I was also concerned about exactly what we might get with the acquisition of Artest.

From what i had read, people were saying that he had great ability but that his attitude was all wrong. I seem to remember Artest had said something about wanting to take time away from the game to make a rap record or something along those lines. He certainly wasnt committed to helping the Pacers achieve success. - so little surprise to hear some Pacer fans arent over impressed with him!

But ive been pleasantly surprised, I would hope most Kings fans are. Ron seems to have gone out of his way to make a very positive contribution to the team both on and off the court. It was brilliant to see that he took the time to attend summer camp and give encouragement and guidance to the up-coming hopefuls.

So i agree with Bricklayer, we shouldnt pretend that the more destructive side of Artest didnt manifest itself with the Pacers - what happened is on record. However we can forgive, (its easier when you're not the victim) and we seem to have good cause to believe that he can be a very positive influence on our team next season.

Go Ron ! :D

Back to the topic . . .

I agree that Mike is top 10 pg. I am excited to see how his season carries out this year. He should now have more dependable back ups and not have to be our high and at times ONLY scoring threat as he had to last season.

^^ :eek:

Yes, the acquisition of Salmons must surely help Mike.

Fewer, but better minutes are what we can genuinely expect as he wont be so exhausted toward the end of the games.

So i agree with Bricklayer, we shouldnt pretend that the more destructive side of Artest didnt manifest itself with the Pacers - what happened is on record. However we can forgive, (its easier when you're not the victim) and we seem to have good cause to believe that he can be a very positive influence on our team next season.
Agreed. I don't think anyone is or has been saying the stuff never happened...