Bibby needs to go

P

pedro

thesanityannex said:
Bibby is nails. Not many PG's are shutdown defenders. You want the best of both worlds and it doesn't happen. Name me a shutdown defender/playmaker PG.
Dimitris diamantidis, he plays in euroleague. The best pg defender in europe. He held tony parker to 4 points in 2 international games against him.

P

pedro

Smart_guy3 said:
And yes, this Thread will turn out to be a big issue but I think we have to agree on something Bibby is useless right now yeah he will make clutch-shots from now and then but our problem is not clutch... what we need is a playmaker right now and Bibby doesn't bring that and he certainly doesn't bring Defense which is no surprise... I have come to my conclusion that I won't be upset if the Kings ever traded Bibby and if they did it won't be the end of the world.
I agree completely. We should have made a bid for 6'4 pg sarunas jasikevicius. He's a great playmaker and totally spreads the floor. Which is what this team desperatly needs. Bibby is a 6'0-6'1 pg who can do a lot but he has absolutely no defense and he gets killed all the time by weaker pgs. Something has to change. I would love to have bibby on the team but I don't see how we improve the team for this season by not working a trade. No one will want peja. Bibby is the only one expendible, unless brad or shareef are dealt. I'd rather deal shareef.

P

pedro

DaKings said:
I agree 100% he is playing one on one basketball. Doesnt ever dish it out to Peja. Peja also works hard for his shots. Just watch Peja is in the constant move when he doesnt have the ball, hence moving without the ball so he earns every single pass thats thrown to him.

Trade Bibby bad player, also not a very good attitude for a leader.
good analysis

swisshh said:
SAR has had a couple nice games recently, but before that he had been on a long stretch of ineffective games, especially rebounding.
I don't know what u have been watching but sar has been the most effective scorer on this team, if he wasn't i think his fg avg would have been worst. And true his rebounding his been lacking but his points his made up for it many times. Also he has then a decent job on other pfs in the nba.

thesanityannex said:
Bibby is nails. Not many PG's are shutdown defenders. You want the best of both worlds and it doesn't happen. Name me a shutdown defender/playmaker PG.
The only shutdown defender in the league who can also create for others at the point gaurd position is Jason Kidd. Other than that, you pretty much have to take it as a given that most point gaurds are average or poor defenders. Those that can defend usually lack a dangerous point gaurd skill set in terms of offense. Personally, I see Bibby as the least of the Kings current problems - there are unquestionably more problematic areas that the management needs to consider before removing a player that is, if nothing else, an above-average point gaurd.

bcfy said:
if you really think of it, it doesn't really make sense...

let say we trade bibby to the so called "pure point guard"....what can we really get from it? we lose a point guard who can score 19 points and dish out about 4.7 assist per game, and in return we get maybe something like 10 points and 6 or 7 assists from the "pure point guard"?

Since the weakest part of our defense is we lack a shot blocker, can this "pure point guard" make that much improvement on Kings' defense? can he really get that many assists when our offensive run through our big mens? can he become the team leader on the court?

I understand people are frustrated when our team is losing, and it is reasonable to think of some big trade...but I just can't see how trading Bibby for other point guards is making any sense, coz our problem is not really on the PG position, and there aren't that many better PG in this league.
On avg 4.7 assist would lead u to at least 8 to 10 points and 7 dimes would lead to at least 14 point (depending on if its a 2 or a 3) so assits does come close to making up the point avg. And i also did add in my other post that i would like to trade brad miller for a def minded big man and rebounder. And most pure point guard are pretty good on def for example Kidd, miller etc because they don't really care about what their off game is because they like to focus most of there power on getting mate involed and playing defence.

DaMan said:
On avg 4.7 assist would lead u to at least 8 to 10 points and 7 dimes would lead to at least 14 point (depending on if its a 2 or a 3) so assits does come close to making up the point avg. And i also did add in my other post that i would like to trade brad miller for a def minded big man and rebounder. And most pure point guard are pretty good on def for example Kidd, miller etc because they don't really care about what their off game is because they like to focus most of there power on getting mate involed and playing defence.
but what i can think of is, for example, let's say we have kid or miller or nash at the point...

what can they do if our offensive system doesn't change? that is, our big men still running our offense instead of PG? Imagine Miller being our point center, or SAR working in the post and attracting double team...under this offensive system, any point guard will become a shooting guard, coz running offense really isn't their primary job...think of it, not even nash can have that many assists if all he does is to shoot the ball off the big men passes..we probably will see him shoot a lot more and have a lot lesser assists, exactly same as Bibby..

Bibby can be very good at running offense, he used to be called "the Jason Kid who can shot" before he got traded to Kings..he could get double dight assists easily(even in the sucky Vancouver Grizzlies team in which not many people were making shots)...just that his playmaking ability is not what our coach asking from him...

so my conclusion is, the Kings offensive system doesn't need a playmaking PG, and any "pure PG" will lose his game under this system...that's my opinion.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
bcfy said:
so my conclusion is, the Kings offensive system doesn't need a playmaking PG, and any "pure PG" will lose his game under this system...that's my opinion.
Before they were struggling it used to be pointed out that Bibby lost 4-5 assists a game because the man he passed to made the extra pass. But now he's clearly been exposed as an undersized shooting guard who should be replaced by a European with no NBA experience and gaudy numbers because gaudy numbers in Euroleagues translate into gaudy NBA stats. :rolleyes:

P

pedro

Who should we trade bibby for? I'd love to have jason kidd. He's not a baby or wannabe thug like bibby. But kid's getting older.

T

thesanityannex

pedro said:
Who should we trade bibby for? I'd love to have jason kidd. He's not a baby or wannabe thug like bibby.
Bibby is a baby thug??? I recall my vote for pedro.

pedro said:
0 assists. tells it all really. the guy has never been a playmaker.
bibby is no natural playmaker, but he's been known to get it done. the question we should be asking is: does mike bibby make his teammates better? i don't think so. and that's not okay from your "leader." chris webber made his teammates better. there is simply no disputing this fact because we've seen a decline in the efficiency of guys like mike bibby and peja stojakovic, neither of which make their teammates better. 0 assists? whatever. those numbers don't say a whole lot because the kings were missing bonzi and peja, so mike took it upon himself to try and put the team on his back. that's admirable, but it's only one aspect of leadership. you could ride webber's game all the way to victory, and he made you look good on the way. it's not the same for a player like mike bibby, and it really is difficult for any point guard in the nba, unless of course your name is steve nash.

kings fans shouldn't be saying "mike bibby needs to go!!!" or "brad miller needs to go!!!" or "peja stojakovic needs to go!!!"...cuz the root of the kings problems doesn't lie with a single player. several [starting unit] player changes need to occur, imo, for this kings team to be efficient and consistent again. imo, the bench is a secondary priority, as crazy as that sounds. everybody talks about how much "potential" this team has...and i just don't see it. there is no leadership, no dominance, no swagger, no defense, no rebounding, and very little toughness [what's there is provided solely by bonzi wells] in the kings starting five. they are a group of players who have similar offensive skills, and little to no defensive skills. there is height, but no rebounds to show for it. there are shooters, but no open shots to show for it. there are assist-men, but no cutters to capitalize on it.

this starting five may (and that's a big "may" considering the way things are going) look good on paper by the end of the season, but what will have been accomplished? what will the kings accomplish by waiting this out? nothing. the time for change is now. geoff petrie experimented and, unfortunately, failed. it is too bad that he didn't see it coming, like so many of us did, but that's in the past. now GP needs to sac up himself and take charge of this mess. i don't know what else to say that hasn't already been said. the kings are losers, right now, and i don't mean that in a derogatory sense. i just mean that they are losers. just a few years ago we were on top of the ****ing conference, now we're near the basement. i hope i'm not the only one who finds this unacceptable...

P

pedro

bcfy said:
T-Mac only got 7 points VS the Raptors. tells it all really. the guy has never been a scorer.
You're missing the point. Bibby dosen't playmake. As many other posters in this thread noted already, bibby is more of a sg in a pg's body. He gets the ball off screens and movement. He dosen't actually spread the floor. There's quite a bit of difference in the two. if he could spread the floor, I'd let his innefective zero assist game slide.
Ginobili is a good example of someone who can spread the floor. Parker as well to some degree. Sarunas jasikevicius. Steve nash. etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
pedro said:
You're missing the point. Bibby dosen't playmake. As many other posters in this thread noted already, bibby is more of a sg in a pg's body. He gets the ball off screens and movement. He dosen't actually spread the floor. There's quite a bit of difference in the two. if he could spread the floor, I'd let his innefective zero assist game slide.
Ginobili is a good example of someone who can spread the floor. Parker as well to some degree. Sarunas jasikevicius. Steve nash. etc.
I think you are missing the point more than I do;) Bibby is BOTH a great scorer and a great playmaker. If you watched his games before he came to the Kings, you can see why people compared him with Jason Kid. In his early years with the Kings, he also kept his playmaking, because Webber could finish the plays way better than our 2 rookies, and Peja wasn't struggling in his shots as much as now.

So, not that he is more of a sg in a pg's body, but with Peja struggling and both SAR and Wells not fully adapted into the Kings offense, Bibby is asked to step up and score instead of making plays in this team. The idea is real simple, you can't be playmaking and scoring at the same time, unless you are allowed to run most of the offense in your team....but that's not happening in the Kings....PG doesn't run the plays often here.

Even if Steve Nash comes to the Kings, you won't see much difference from him than from Bibby..unless Nash decides to ignore our coach, or we totally give up on our offensive system and just be a normal team with PG running the offense.

Anyways, the whole point is, if people think "Bibby needs to go" because they want a playmaker....sorry guys, Bibby is already a good playmaker, just in our coach's opinion, his playmaking ability is not as important compared with his scoring ability. It is just like..you know Nash can shoot, but he is asked to pass more in his team....that's it.

K

Kings241

I'm not a huge fan of Bibby but who else are you gonna get in exchange for Bibby. I mean I don't see many better PGs out there that can play defense or be true playmakers. Plus Bibby is the closest thing to a leader in this team.

thesanityannex said:
whatever you say sir.
You need to give credit win credit is due, and Brad played great he should play like this all the time just like bibby should play like this all the time. If they did we would not be in such a hole.