Bibby may miss game

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12022446p-12892714c.html

Bibby may miss game

Newcomer Eddie House could be thrust into a starting role for short-handed Kings.

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Thursday, January 13, 2005

Officially, Kings coach Rick Adelman had a practice called for Wednesday.

Unofficially, it was a get-together and health assessment for his undermanned Kings, who meet the Utah Jazz tonight at Arco Arena.

The Kings defeated the Denver Nuggets on Tuesday with only nine players available, and Adelman may have even one fewer tonight.

Mike Bibby, the team's only remaining natural point guard, sprained his right ankle against the Nuggets and is a question mark for tonight's game, Adelman said. The coach said he hoped he'd have starting power forward Chris Webber against the Jazz, but that merely was positive thinking.

The newest Kings, Cuttino Mobley and Michael Bradley, arrived Wednesday and took part of their physicals at UC Davis Medical Center. They'll finish up today, but they will not be able to play until Doug Christie passes his physical with the Magic, and he may not meet Orlando in Detroit to do so until Friday.

"We're a little short-handed," Adelman said with the backdrop of Maurice Evans, Kevin Martin, Eddie House and Matt Barnes working on their shooting. "We didn't do much of anything. We just did some situation things we're going to try to do offensively and some shooting."

Adelman said he was proceeding under the assumption that Mobley and Bradley would not be available for Utah.

So, it could be Eddie House, he of Tuesday's 11-minute Kings history, at point guard with Maurice Evans at shooting guard along with a front line of Peja Stojakovic, Brad Miller and Darius Songaila.

The trade of Christie, combined with the temporary situations of Bibby and Webber and the necessary assimilations into the mix of Mobley and Bradley, have left Adelman and the Kings with an almost training-camp feel in mid-January.

The bright spot of the currently unsettled situation is the 22-11 record, which is two games behind Sacramento's record after 33 games last season.

"I hope we can get healthy so that we can practice," Adelman said. "It's going to be a lot easier if we could do that, but if we have to piecemeal it in and just try to do it in game situations, that's going to be a lot more difficult."

Adelman said Bibby's ankle was sore and a little swollen Wednesday.

Bibby has a history, though, of not missing games.

"If we don't have him (tonight), then basically the only point guard you have is a guy (House) who is new to us and has played one game.

"We're going to have to do some things at shootaround that we don't normally do and see if we can come ready to play (tonight).

"Without our two point guards, and Eddie really is kind of a combo guard, I'm sure we're going to get some pressure, and we're going to have to understand how we're going to break it and how we're going to get into the flow of an offense."

Adelman knows this situation is just life in the NBA.

It's the same thing for House, who is with his third team in three months.

House began the season with Charlotte before being waived and claimed by the Milwaukee Bucks. "I signed with Milwaukee and got there (Dec. 17) the day before they played (Philadelphia on Dec. 18)," he said. "I went to shootaround, walked through some plays that night and went out there and played (14 minutes). It's just part of being a professional. I'm into my fifth season, so I've been around a little while. So you just have to adapt."
-------------------
oh man!

Last edited:
Should be an interesting game.

They were saying on 1140 this morning that Webb may not be asle to play tonight either. House is a streaky shooter so if he gets it going early it could be a fun game to watch. The only saving grace is that Utah played last night against the Suns. So, maybe their legs are tired from all the "run and gun."

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Little concerned about Webb missing two in a row -- has not happened all season.

Couple of worrisome possibilities:

1) Webb played 4 games in 5 nights on the road trip. Too much strain on the knee?

2) If Webb misses tonight as well, hen he won't have played since Doug left. Really hope there's no connection -- know Webb and Doug were close and really the co-leaders of the team. Doug was the guy Webb singled out for praise over the summer.

On the other hand, these are sub-.500 teams at home, and those have been the games Webb has been skipping. So hopefully its just the same pattern of saving himself.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
G_M said:
The only saving grace is that Utah played last night against the Suns. So, maybe their legs are tired from all the "run and gun."
Course two ways to look at that since they actaully BEAT the Suns, a couple fo days after beating San Antonio. :eek: Think I'm glad we snuck in here a couple of days before Kirilenko returns as well or this could have been a very tough one.

Webb said last night that he will play, is ready to go and last game was just "precautionary". He said that he felt good on the road trip and actually felt better the 2nd set of b2b than the first, but is "feeling good."

You got to think Mike will play....just who he is.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I too hope that Webb no playing is simply precautaionary resting his knee and not an indicator of of problems with it. I seriously dout he is pouting on the bench over Doug being traded.If any King knows that trades a buisness decison and not personal it's Webb. Been in the leage nearly a decade been traded, had lots of closefrinds traded, this is nothing new to him.

The Jazz my be alitle tired from playing the Suns but they also have to be feeling realy full of confidence after beating them, and the Spurs with out AK 47. This ought to look like a perfect opertunity to come in and steal another confidence builder to Jerry Sloan so I am very concerned about tonights game.

The good news is that Tuedays game was against what should have been tougher oponenets and the Kings Bench really rose to the challange so you know that Songlia, Evans, Martin, Barnes and espcialy Tag are looking forward to getting out there and playing big tonight. Hopefully House is a little more settled into the Kings game and mentaly ready to establish his game tonight as well.

I'll be there with my new duck call so of you hear one when Tag hits the floor you know the Celt is in the house!

I think that Webber (knee), Stojakovic (lower back), Bibby (ankle), and Christie (feet) are all injured now. I think all of them are trying to tough it out. I'll bet we see a lot of the Bench Mob this year.

Bricklayer said:
Little concerned about Webb missing two in a row -- has not happened all season.
I'm also a little worried. Who knows, maybe Webb is on the trading block. Just a rumor I've heard....probably just a rumor.

quick dog said:
I think that Webber (knee), Stojakovic (lower back), Bibby (ankle), and Christie (feet) are all injured now. I think all of them are trying to tough it out. I'll bet we see a lot of the Bench Mob this year.
I think you can take Christie off that list. His injured feet are no longer our problem.

let's not forget bobby jackson.
i would feel a lot better about the situation if he was able to play.
so, here's the math

christie is traded
webber has a sore knee and will not play (maybe?)
bibby has a sore ankle and will not play
bobby jackson, our best 6th man, has not been able to play and will not be able to play.

peja has a sore back but he better play
brad is hopfully healthy and will play

and tonight, we meet the jazz at home
man, i wish i can be there to cheer our boys on. who knows, maybe this is bringing them closer together, and what an oppounity to train up the second unit.

GO KINGS!

Well, it's nice to know Cuttino and Michael Bradley is in Sac...even though they won't play. :(

Get well soon, Webb and Mike!

Even though Jazz played last night, with a coach like Jerry Sloan, the Jazz players may play much tougher knowing that Webb and Bibby may not be on the floor (as well Bobby, Mobley). Hopefully they'll be tired and not shoot well and Peja gets on fire, Brad shoots more, all Kings players make their FTs and we see tons of Mo Evans dunks with assists from Bibby's in-law! :D GO KINGS!

Bricklayer said:
Interesting question -- maybe he would "shoot" more if we painted wings or antlers on the backboard? ;)
That's a pretty good idea. I suggest that they paint a flying duck, 1/2-scale, on the glass right behind the rim. Somebody can figure the angles to optimize the shots based on his normal shooting range.

One potential problem could be that Greg Ostertag would begin to take too many jump shots. With the little duck-target, Ostertag would probably start working on his long-jumper.

This "field game target" idea is pretty darn good. I think a well-placed duck target would really improve Tag's free-throw percentage.

I suspect that the League, those abject wussies, would probably object.

A

AriesMar27

Bricklayer said:
Course two ways to look at that since they actaully BEAT the Suns, a couple fo days after beating San Antonio. :eek: Think I'm glad we snuck in here a couple of days before Kirilenko returns as well or this could have been a very tough one.
you were probably thinking the same thing about the warriors, raptors and hornets..... could have been tough isnt something to look past.... just like the hornets game should have been a automatic win as was the warriors and raptors...... watch what you say.... we might end up losing....

quick dog said:
If Cat gets injured anytime soon, you know we are cursed.

Bricklayer said:
Interesting question -- maybe he would "shoot" more if we painted wings or antlers on the backboard? ;)
although that is pretty funny...there is no need to make fun of my boy...come on now...sooner or later he'll realize that he needs to shoot...ofcourse we are all hoping its sooner

shoot Brad shoot

Id actually be shocked if Mike doesn't lace em up....id think it would have to be way more than a sprain to get him not to play...besides right after he did sprain it he went out of the game (during which i felt like i was gonna throw up with worry) but then came right back in..i understand its sore and swollen...but he had some time off it...i guess we'll see...but like i said id be shocked if he's not in there

B

BibbyCutie10

it might just be me and the fact that i am a huge bibby fan, but, i think that the kings could face a little trouble without him. and also considering the fact that christie is now gone. we have lost two of our good players. maybe our team is falling apart. i ate to say it, but thats wut it feels like

BibbyCutie10 said:
it might just be me and the fact that i am a huge bibby fan, but, i think that the kings could face a little trouble without him. and also considering the fact that christie is now gone. we have lost two of our good players. maybe our team is falling apart. i ate to say it, but thats wut it feels like
We still have Webber, Pedja and Brad. They ain't bad players...even All-Stars players once. Mike and Doug never was. Cuttino is a good player too.

B

BibbyCutie10

Twix said:
We still have Webber, Pedja and Brad. They ain't bad players...even All-Stars players once. Mike and Doug never was. Cuttino is a good player too.
i know that we still have them, but that is not going to fill the big void. bibby and christie were good players. they each put their two cents in. everyone puts their two cents in if not more

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
...sigh...

WHAT BIG VOID??????????

Bibby isn't gone. He may sit out a game because of his tweaked ankle. If Bibby doesn't play, we'll most likely start House. Evans will start at the 2-guard position again, as he did against the Nuggets.

This is what I found about Bibby:

Point guard Mike Bibby is questionable for Thursday's game against the Jazz due to a sprained right ankle suffered in Tuesday's win over Denver, according to the Sacramento Bee. Head coach Rick Adleman said the ankle was sore and swollen on Wednesday.

I know it isnt much but at least its something.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Um? That's pretty much what the first post in the thread says... ;)

KHTK reported that Bibby will be a game-time decision.