Bibby: I'm the Kings' leader

Status
Not open for further replies.
you know if bibby says he can be the leader of this team, well then i think everyone should give him a chance at doing it. I have my doughts, but then i think he can do it. you could say that he just gave us his word on him trying to be a better leader this year, well lets just sit back and relax and see if he can do it.

quick dog said:
Effective leaders are usually charismatic and intelligent.

Most players seem to like him and his coaches have all said that he has a great basketball IQ. I say we watch and see. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. Actually, as fans, that's about all we can do!

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
chelle said:
Most players seem to like him and his coaches have all said that he has a great basketball IQ. I say we watch and see. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. Actually, as fans, that's about all we can do!
I also seem to remember that the Grizz wanted Bibby to be more vocal and step up as a leader.

piksi

Hall of Famer
VF21 said:
I guess I'm in the minority, because I don't think Bibby will be the Warrior King, as I've called the next leader of the team.
No, You are not in the minority. It is actually a majority who realizes that.

A

AriesMar27

well, who is the leader on the suns? im pretty sure its nash.... but thats only on the court and i doubt that he yells at anyone as timid as he is, i mean he is canadian....

the coach should be the leader of the team... unless jordan is on your team of course...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The coach isn't a player. The team leader is the player who steps up and inspires others to follow his lead, to take his advice and play as hard as he does. The leader sets the tone of the team. A team without a leader is like a ship without a rudder...

T

thesanityannex

Bibby will have to be some type of leader on the court, it's kind of built into the position of PG, but to name him "the leader" is not going to work. Maybe B.Miller will step into that role, I would follow him. (I would be scared not to!)

I've got absolutely no problem with Bibby being the leader, BUT only after he shows that he cares on the defensive end. Not only does he get burned, he doesn't even bother to raise his arm up and try to contest the shot even when he is relatively close to his man.

chelle said:
"If you've got to knock somebody in the head, then do that. And we always have to help each other defensively. We're out there like we're scared to get into foul trouble. That's why we give up so many layups."

I like that! Now, if we can only do it.
I think we get into foul trouble alot with soft a** fouls and it freaking sucks, we need to get our money's worth for our damn fouls!!

VF21 said:
If I can add one more thing... The team not only has to believe what he says, they have to see that he will WALK the walk as well as TALK the talk. Actions do, in this case, speak much louder than words.
I agree. Luckily, I don't see Mike as the type to waste his few words on empty promises.

I think that next season could be very interesting in Mike's evolution as a player -- don't really know what to expect from him in the leadership role.

His ability to lead by example should be no problem, as I've never heard a single word from anyone involved with the team that would cause me to question Mike's reputation as a very hard worker. His ability to be a vocal leader is a completely different situation. We've certainly never seen that side of him in the past with any consistency. However, the majority of his tenure in Sacramento has been on a team with an abundance of leaders and last season was far too tumultuous to get any sense of how he could possibly inhabit the role when given time to adjust to it.

I hope to gravy that he can be the team's leader, however. I don't see anyone else on the current roster that I, as a lowly fan, would rather see take the helm.

Just for the record, last night in the SPDL game, Bibby showed no leadership.

He ran the point...that's it.

Other players on the floor did exhibit leadership qualities, though.

Bibby can lead by example. He has a great work ethic, and let's face it he'll take the clutch shot anytime.

I don't know if physically he can improve his man defense much, but if so It's all good.

GoGoGadget said:
I agree. Luckily, I don't see Mike as the type to waste his few words on empty promises.

I think that next season could be very interesting in Mike's evolution as a player -- don't really know what to expect from him in the leadership role.

His ability to lead by example should be no problem, as I've never heard a single word from anyone involved with the team that would cause me to question Mike's reputation as a very hard worker. His ability to be a vocal leader is a completely different situation. We've certainly never seen that side of him in the past with any consistency. However, the majority of his tenure in Sacramento has been on a team with an abundance of leaders and last season was far too tumultuous to get any sense of how he could possibly inhabit the role when given time to adjust to it.

I hope to gravy that he can be the team's leader, however. I don't see anyone else on the current roster that I, as a lowly fan, would rather see take the helm.
exactly how i feel.

GoGoGadget said:

Thanks for saying what I was trying to say much more clearly!:D

From yesterday...

whozit said:
SactoGreg,

What is this blockbuster deal you've envisioned? I'm curious.

What is that saying curiousity killed the cat?
Whozit,

I don't get wrapped up in the "whos". It's something I've never really exerted a lot of energy over, since nobody but GP and the Maloofs really know until something happens.

My point about Bibby is purely from a trade perspective and the potential value he represents.

Do I think he'll be traded this off-season? No. Do I want him to be traded? No, not really. Unless it brings an immediate, impact player to the team.

But if the Kings are to make any noise before training camp next season, the only way I think they can is by way of a blockbuster trade. Adding a piece here and there isn't gonna get it done. There are far too many necessities the team has, and without getting some really good players, perhaps even a super star, the Kings may not be in the competitive circle they once were for the next several years.

Petrie is gonna have to shake up the lineup, and shake it pretty good. And let's be clear here: His recent comments about Brad, Mike and Peja being the core group is purely a negotiating ploy. It does two things for the Kings:

1) It strokes the big 3 emotionally, something every coach and GM does to its best players.

2) It potentially increases the value of each of these players with respect to any future trade discussions with other league GMs.

And to finish my thought, any trade involving the acquisition of a super star player will undoubtedly include one or more of the Kings better players. Petrie is good, but to think other GMs would do such a deal without the Kings including one of these players is naive...

Fair enough.

I think as you posted much earlier on a different thread, no one should be untouchable. I agree, even not knowing (or even having any idea) I do on the other hand enjoy speculating as long as it is within reason.

now back to regular programing .....................

SacTownKid said:
Well that and even if they are not good leaders they are smart enough to fool you. ;)
Adolph Hitler valued "the show" more than the "message". He spent hours practicing his speeches in front of mirrors. In the final analysis, his messages were horribly flawed. He was immensely successful as a cult leader in pre-WWII Germany because he "played the role." I'm certainly not comparing Bibby, or anyone else, to Adolph Hitler, but he was an extreme example of "style over substance" and the importance of using charisma to sway the opinions of others.

I think Mike Bibby needs to enhance his media and public image to cement his alleged leadership role. His game skills and player-respect are probably adequate to sustain the "leadership image."

As it stands, I see Bibby as a poor man's John Stockton.

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
SactoGreg said:
Whozit,

I don't get wrapped up in the "whos". It's something I've never really exerted a lot of energy over, since nobody but GP and the Maloofs really know until something happens.

My point about Bibby is purely from a trade perspective and the potential value he represents.

Do I think he'll be traded this off-season? No. Do I want him to be traded? No, not really. Unless it brings an immediate, impact player to the team.

But if the Kings are to make any noise before training camp next season, the only way I think they can is by way of a blockbuster trade. Adding a piece here and there isn't gonna get it done. There are far too many necessities the team has, and without getting some really good players, perhaps even a super star, the Kings may not be in the competitive circle they once were for the next several years.

Petrie is gonna have to shake up the lineup, and shake it pretty good. And let's be clear here: His recent comments about Brad, Mike and Peja being the core group is purely a negotiating ploy. It does two things for the Kings:

1) It strokes the big 3 emotionally, something every coach and GM does to its best players.

2) It potentially increases the value of each of these players with respect to any future trade discussions with other league GMs.

And to finish my thought, any trade involving the acquisition of a super star player will undoubtedly include one or more of the Kings better players. Petrie is good, but to think other GMs would do such a deal without the Kings including one of these players is naive...
While it obviously is smart for Petrie and the Maloofs to talk positively about their players, and I do agree that it may partially be done to increase the value of the "big 3", I however do think they are worthy of such positive remarks. You have to remember that these are not individuals that have to be built up to be something they are not. Brad Miller and Peja are All-star calibur players. Peja a former MVP candidate. Brad Miller is one of the top centers in the league. Mike Bibby is one of the best "true" point gaurds in the league. These are not false accolades. They are worthy of the Maloofs trust and deserve to be given the opprotunity to carry this team if that is the choice.

People have often questioned whether or not if (a) the Kings were gonna have a set of "leaders" or (b) was someone gonna stick their head out of the shadows and claim ownership.

Looks like (b) happened and I would like to see how well Mike succeeds or if he fails. I can't complain about it because I can't honestly put any other Kings teammate above him. Everyone has their own flaws....Mike included.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
quick dog said:
As it stands, I see Bibby as a poor man's John Stockton.
I don't think he plays anything like John Stockton. They both play the same position. The comparison pretty much ends there.

Status
Not open for further replies.