Beno

S

sactownfan

Much time has passed since Beno's contract year... Where the clippers and our kings battled it out for his services.... we offered what was considered to be too generous of a contract for him... and sure enough he had an awful season right after that... he had played that off season with his national team (i could be wrong) but was hurt all season also...

We all wanted him to be traded or burned at the stake... we wanted Petrie to go with him....

its not that often here we start threads to say "i was wrong" but honestly Evans and Cousins are "our" future... with Evans being our best player... but its Beno's steady play that deserves MVP status... yes that sounds crazy but he really has been so consistent for us... when Evans struggles at various times Beno does a great job of taking over and running things while Evans regroups... we dont win without Beno he does a little bit of everything every game...

i was wrong

Beno and Evans work beautifully, Cisco is really bringing it too being the first guard off the bench. I love that 3 guard rotation, yes we might have paid slightly over the odds to sign both but both bring so many intangibles to the team as leaders and players.

Much time has passed since Beno's contract year... Where the clippers and our kings battled it out for his services.... we offered what was considered to be too generous of a contract for him... and sure enough he had an awful season right after that... he had played that off season with his national team (i could be wrong) but was hurt all season also...

We all wanted him to be traded or burned at the stake... we wanted Petrie to go with him....

its not that often here we start threads to say "i was wrong" but honestly Evans and Cousins are "our" future... with Evans being our best player... but its Beno's steady play that deserves MVP status... yes that sounds crazy but he really has been so consistent for us... when Evans struggles at various times Beno does a great job of taking over and running things while Evans regroups... we dont win without Beno he does a little bit of everything every game...

i was wrong
Yes, Beno is a very good offensive weapon and he does a good job making nice plays since last year whenever the inexperience Evans ran out of tricks. But Beno remains one of our biggest liability in defense (very much like Bibby during his last years with the Kings), so that I can hardly think of Beno deserving an MVP status.

Beno is just too consistently slow and cannot stay in front of his man making the other BIGs work doubly hard to cover for the hole he creates. What is worse, Beno has the guts to show the world talking to the BIGs, advising the BIGs, as if it was our BIG's fault for not having covered-up for that hole he constantly creates in the first place. I am pretty sure if you'll just review the first four games you will see what I am talking about. It was the one of the major flaws in our defense despite having all the kind of talented defensive BIGs in our line-up. If Beno mans-up on his defense then I am totally with you that Beno is awesome.

Oh well, maybe if you want our back court to be an all-offense and less defense kind of team, then I'll agree Beno deserves an MVP status.

S

sactownfan

It's nice that you admit that you were too harsh on him in the past, but we have an MVP, and it's not Beno.
I wasnt just too harsh on Beno... almost every single person here was....

and as far as the MVP status.... Evans is the MVP but without Beno we dont win... Beno is the player that puts us over the top... its obvious that Evans and Beno arent comparable in talent... but really again Evans hits points where he begins to struggle in sharing the ball and creating his shot... and Beno has always been there to bail him out and keep this team afloat... i'd say Beno is the difference in almost all our wins... same as Evans...it weird but i'd give Beno co MVP status then... or the definite runner up for MVP? lol! whatever im just saying Beno is our rock

Last edited by a moderator:
Beno did prove a lot of us wrong - but it wasn't until Tyreke stepped into town. It took a lot of focus off Beno which makes Beno's job a lot easier. The offense is more his style since Westphal came to town also - a combination of things have helped Beno succeed but if he was still failing with the increased help surrounding him then we would probably still be out for his head for the contract which now doesn't seem unreasonable.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I was really ticked at Beno in the pre-Westphal era because of all of his finger pointing. That has diminished. Now he's like the adult on a team of youngins. Mr. Steady. If the Kings didn't have him now, they'd be hurting bigtime.

S

sactownfan

Ummm....speak for yourself. There were many members here that weren't harsh on Beno including me. So, don't say "almost every single person" because that's not true.
ummmmm ..... seriously Rockmeister.... why? why do you even respond? your being such a downer... and your obviously confused about Benos first year one his current contract... he without a doubt was garbage... so that was TRUE... we all saw it, he was a huge let down... so maybe you weren't harsh... but you certainly couldn't be happy about it if you either like winning basketball or like the kings.... so way to go rockmeister! kudos to you for being unhappy but not "harsh" about Benos horrible year... kudos!!!

if you really dont remember that the majority of members were a tad harsh then go look up all the fire Petrie threads and Beno threads from that year...

Yes he's right- of course most of us were pissed about it. I swear sometimes I think some of you come on here just to see yourselves type. This is the sort of argumentative response you can expect from ANYTHING you type here- it's ridiculous. Don't believe me? Check the now three pages of argument on NBA headbands. To whoever is reading this- if you're not in the "most" part it's a good thing we left room for you by saying "most" instead of "all".

OK I took some deep breaths. I agree with you sactownfan and I have for a couple of years- Beno is a very fine player and we really depend on him. I've been saying he's our best shooter for years.

and I'm gonna say it here- I like Luther Head's play recently too.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

i was wrong
Well if you going to be wrong, thats the kind of wrong I want to be. I will admit to being down on Beno as well. I think you have to give Westphal some credit in how he's used Beno. He's letting Beno play to his strengths instead of forcing him to be something he's not. But kudo's to Beno. He's made himself a valuable asset to the team.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yes he's right- of course most of us were pissed about it. I swear sometimes I think some of you come on here just to see yourselves type. This is the sort of argumentative response you can expect from ANYTHING you type here- it's ridiculous. Don't believe me? Check the now three pages of argument on NBA headbands. To whoever is reading this- if you're not in the "most" part it's a good thing we left room for you by saying "most" instead of "all".

OK I took some deep breaths. I agree with you sactownfan and I have for a couple of years- Beno is a very fine player and we really depend on him. I've been saying he's our best shooter for years.

and I'm gonna say it here- I like Luther Head's play recently too.
Head was the only player last night that had any success guarding Kobe. Which is no mean feat. However, he needs to be more selective with his shots. He was very good penetrating to the basket and finishing. I believe he even hit a little midrange jumper at one point. But he needs to get his feet set on his three point shot. Most of his three pointers were rushed and off balance, and, missed badly. He's proving his value as a defender. All he needs to do is settle down on offense.

ummmmm ..... seriously Rockmeister.... why? why do you even respond? your being such a downer... and your obviously confused about Benos first year one his current contract... he without a doubt was garbage... so that was TRUE... we all saw it, he was a huge let down... so maybe you weren't harsh... but you certainly couldn't be happy about it if you either like winning basketball or like the kings.... so way to go rockmeister! kudos to you for being unhappy but not "harsh" about Benos horrible year... kudos!!!

if you really dont remember that the majority of members were a tad harsh then go look up all the fire Petrie threads and Beno threads from that year...
You are a JOKE to the forum. If you can't be civil, then why the hell post.

Beno deserved every ounce of criticism he got from members of this board when he was playing like doo doo. I think most fans wanted us to sign him after his first year with the team. I didnt have a huge issue with the amount of money he was making until his first year after the contract. You gotta earn your money in the league to be liked by fans, and he wasnt earning it.

Its so nice to see how he has come around though. He's a very valuable piece to this team, and now you could say that his contract was at least somewhat justified. I like him.