Ben McLemore

Great kid, glad he’s playing well lately! That being said, he’s still shooting the worst percentages of his career this season from all over the court. His 3 percentage is at 32%, which is tied for worst of his career (rookie year). Confidence, or rather the lack of it, has always been his Achilles heel. Here’s hoping that this recent play leads to something.

Let’s go McBen! Funny enough, despite being in the league for approximately 20 years at this point, he’s still only a few months older than Buddy Hield.

Edit; I lied. After agegate of last season, McBen is actually YOUNGER than Buddy Hield.
That's crazy to think about. Seems like forever ago when we drafted him.

I'm happy for his recent success. Hopefully he can sustain it. Obviously it hurt drafting another bust but I wasn't really mad at the GM or Ben about it. He was the obvious pick at the time and it always seemed like he put in the work. Just seems like he's kind of dumb as rocks and was never able to combine his athleticism with the skills necessary to be a good basketball player.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
in D'antoni's run and gun system he has the freedom to chuck away because there are two other All-stars and former MVPs that can pick up the slack but good on Ben nonetheless

in D'antoni's run and gun system he has the freedom to chuck away because there are two other All-stars and former MVPs that can pick up the slack but good on Ben nonetheless
And yet, Ben has been the one picking up the slack for theses guys at times. You're right, this is pretty impressive of him.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
^^^ Related to that, in Houston, he's not a draft bust, he's just a dude. He's not, like, a guy that the Rockets passed on Antetokuonmpo to get.

Also, and this is something that I have started to observe more closely since I stopped rooting for teams, you can't understate the impact an athlete's salary has on how they are perceived by fans. For what the Rockets are paying McLemore, virtually any net positive production they get out of him is going to be met with extreme enthusiasm.

^^^ Related to that, in Houston, he's not a draft bust, he's just a dude. He's not, like, a guy that the Rockets passed on Antetokuonmpo to get.

Also, and this is something that I have started to observe more closely since I stopped rooting for teams, you can't understate the impact an athlete's salary has on how they are perceived by fans. For what the Rockets are paying McLemore, virtually any net positive production they get out of him is going to be met with extreme enthusiasm.
This may be true and I'll go ahead and add draft position as well. However, I've seen many fans who are self aware enough to understand the bias, yet still proceed to do it. Maybe it's the mob mentality thing, or emotional.

Without rehashing that time period for the Kings, he was drafted into possibly the worst situation possible for him. Probably stunted his growth and ate away at his confidence. The way he played for us was characterized as dumb by the majority of Kings fans. But, having coached a lot of teenage kids, what I saw a guy who was afraid to make a mistake, which always leads to mistakes and slow reaction time.

I never know quite what to make of RPM stats, but now that they're coming out for the season, congrats to Ben on coming in 11th in the NBA, @3.82. For comparison, Kings in the top 100 are Buddy (#51, 2.16), Holmes (#61, 1.96) and Bogi (#90, 1.34).

This may be true and I'll go ahead and add draft position as well. However, I've seen many fans who are self aware enough to understand the bias, yet still proceed to do it. Maybe it's the mob mentality thing, or emotional.

Without rehashing that time period for the Kings, he was drafted into possibly the worst situation possible for him. Probably stunted his growth and ate away at his confidence. The way he played for us was characterized as dumb by the majority of Kings fans. But, having coached a lot of teenage kids, what I saw a guy who was afraid to make a mistake, which always leads to mistakes and slow reaction time.
Once Kawhi snatched his soul on 2 straight possessions the Reggie Miller comparison was finally put to rest...

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Yeah. Ben has been legit this season though. Best numbers of his career. Getting major minutes on a playoff team, including at the end of games. Patience is a virtue.
Crazy Fun Fact; Despite being in the league for 20 seasons at this point, he’s still YOUNGER than Buddy Hield.

I never know quite what to make of RPM stats, but now that they're coming out for the season, congrats to Ben on coming in 11th in the NBA, @3.82. For comparison, Kings in the top 100 are Buddy (#51, 2.16), Holmes (#61, 1.96) and Bogi (#90, 1.34).
Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Other strange names up there too like Christian Wood, Denzel Valentine, Jalen Brunson and Alex Caruso all up in the top 25.

Only thing I see on McLemore's stat sheet that jumps out at me is that he's shooting 72% from 2pt range. He averages 47%. I wonder if that's whats given him the enormous ORPM number?

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Other strange names up there too like Christian Wood, Denzel Valentine, Jalen Brunson and Alex Caruso all up in the top 25.

Only thing I see on McLemore's stat sheet that jumps out at me is that he's shooting 72% from 2pt range. He averages 47%. I wonder if that's whats given him the enormous ORPM number?
I take all advanced stats with a grain of salt, and it seems to me that RPM tends to have more unexpected names in the top ranks than BPM does. When someone does well across advanced stats that use different metrics, like BPM+on/off+WS, I have to take it seriously. I don't know how much this one means by itself, but when the new numbers came out, I couldn't help but notice him up there, and thought it worth mentioning. That is one fine shooting percentage, though!

One issue with RPM is it isn't adjusted for minutes. So once in awhile you'll get bench players that pop really nicely if they're super productive in their 15-20 MPG. And when they do get a spike in minutes in play well, that shifts there numbers a little too much.

Love RPM overall, but that's one thing you just have to adjust for. Terrence Davis obviously isn't the 8th best player in the NBA, but I do think that shows he's a candidate for someone who probably needs more minutes.