Bee: NBA beat: What does Peja have to do to stay royal?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/13657316p-14500113c.html

By Joe Davidson

NBA free agency always hovers about like smog from an idling 1974 Chevy Vega because it's not just an offseason issue.

And it's always the same sort of language for those nearing the end of their deals. Contract year. Restricted. Unrestricted. Sign-and-trade. What's best for my family.

There are 13 name players who could be on the free-agent buffet table next summer, all with intrigue value.

1. Peja Stojakovic, Kings

He's not even 30, and you can't find a better shooter . Though playoff disappointments continue to define him in Sacramento, there isn't a team in the league that wouldn't want him hoisting threes. Does he have to be an All-Star and then some for the Kings to go max on the man?

2. Ben Wallace, Pistons

Detroit fans would riot if Big Ben wasn't secured long term. Rebounders, defenders, muscles and 'fros like this don't come around often enough, and all in one package. He'll be a Pistons lifer.

3. Nene, Nuggets

Wildly tempting because he's 6-foot-11 and 260 pounds of agility, and the one-named Brazilian is a pup at 23. Will draw major interest, including from his own team, or could fetch a lot in a sign-and-trade. 4. Tayshaun Prince, Pistons

Superb defender, long, runs well, capable shooter. For the love of Bill Laimbeer, Detroit can't lose a talent like this.

5. Eddy Curry, Bulls

Would be higher on any list if not for his heart concerns, which might scare off the market. There's talk of extensive DNA testing to explore his heart history, yet for now, some teams seem interested.

6. Vladimir Radmanovic, Sonics

Second-best shooter on the market after pal Peja, he'll want starting max money, even though he has been a reserve. Still, always a need for bombers, and he'll wind up being quite wealthy.

7. Al Harrington, Hawks

Lost amid the rubble that is Atlanta hoops. At 25, is young, active, impressive and seems to have some help with Joe Johnson, Josh Smith and Marvin Williams.

8. Bonzi Wells, Kings

Biggest year of his career is the one that looms, with the league keeping tabs on his fuse. Never been a full-time starter until now, either, but all the potential to be an All-Star.

9. James Posey, Heat

Can be a nice defender as a starter or reserve - and will have to prove his worth in what should be a grueling playoff run.

10. Joel Przybilla, Blazers

Don't laugh. Big center has gone from long-shot obscurity to effective commodity. He continues to improve (and devoured the Kings last season). The league always starves for centers, period.

11. Jason Terry, Mavericks

With Devin Harris pushing him on the same roster and given the green light to be the No. 2 scorer, Terry is on league-wide display at the point. Coming off career year, and he's only 28.

12. Caron Butler, Wizards

Can be explosive and effective defender but has been inconsistent with Heat and Lakers. Needs to replace Larry Hughes for a Washington team that reached the postseason last season.

13. Bobby Jackson, Grizzlies

Not long ago, Jackson would have been much higher on a list like this, but he has been slowed by a rash of injuries, and durability remains a concern. Could play himself into a long deal with Memphis - if healthy, of course.

West no longer best?

It seems blasphemous, but Jerry West hasn't had a great run in Memphis, his golden reputation tarnished a tad.

The front-office executive molded the great Lakers teams of the 1980s and launched the 2000-02 three-peat by trading for the draft rights for Kobe Bryant, signing Shaquille O'Neal as a free agent, then securing coach Phil Jackson. West has made some good moves in Memphis, including hiring Hubie Brown (and later Mike Fratello) as coach, to improve the franchise from moribund to mediocre to a little better than that.

But signing free agent Brian Cardinal before last season to a six-year, $39 million contract was a terrible reach, totally un-West like. And at the end of last season, Wells, Jason Williams, Stromile Swift and James Posey were grouchy. All were moved, however, and if the replacements don't reap some rewards, West might retire.

B-Jax to the rescue?

West scores another coup if Bobby Jackson plays for the Memphis Grizzlies like the healthy Jackson of old. Already, Jackson was honest in his assessment of new teammate Pau Gasol, saying, "What I've heard is he doesn't have a lot of heart."

BASELINE JUMPERS

* Chucky Atkins said it was "a zoo at times" during his Lakers stay? At times? All the time, Chucky.

* Allen Iverson on how cool it would be to have a center: "I think if Yao Ming was on my team, we'd probably have a 100 percent chance of winning an NBA championship."

* Red flags already in South Beach? Antoine Walker has talked about rejecting a reserve role with the Miami Heat.

* Tony Parker looked tired in some of those European summer games, meaning Nick Van Exel might be more lively early for the Spurs, never mind his battered old knees.

* Ron Harper, a defensive cog for title teams with the Bulls and Lakers, has been hired as an assistant for the defensive-minded Detroit Pistons.

* Former No. 1 pick Glenn Robinson is a free agent not at all interested in playing for a loser this late in his career, and he said of his weary body: "I think about retiring when I'm out there hurtin' and strugglin' and can't play." * An Eastern Conference scout said of Gary Payton, now of Miami: "Name a better backup point guard in the league."

C

Coach

Unfortunately, someone will pay Peja the maximum salary next year. I hope it is not us.

If Peja would hit some clutch shoots this season and make more rebs per game,I think that this summer wouldn't be wasting of time!I really believe in him so let's see what will bring new season.I hope that this will be our year!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ben Wallace - Whatever it takes to keep him there for life
Tayshaun Prince - high but not maximum
Peja - NOT maximum. No way, no how... He simply hasn't shown in all the years he's been here that he is a franchise player. IMHO franchise players or indispensable talents like Ben Wallace deserve max or close to it.

Peja won our hearts; he's a pure shooter and one of the best to ever have that title. He is not, however, a maximum contract player. People need to look at this with their heads and not their hearts. He deserves a good, lucrative contract. If his agent convinces him to go solely for the highest bucks and another team offers him more money, I'll wave goodbye and wish him well. (Unless, of course, it's Dallas, San Antonio or LA.) Then I'd probably do whatever it took to keep him out of their hands.)

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
VF21 said:
Ben Wallace - Whatever it takes to keep him there for life
Tayshaun Prince - high but not maximum
Peja - NOT maximum. No way, no how... He simply hasn't shown in all the years he's been here that he is a franchise player. IMHO franchise players or indispensable talents like Ben Wallace deserve max or close to it.

Peja won our hearts; he's a pure shooter and one of the best to ever have that title. He is not, however, a maximum contract player. People need to look at this with their heads and not their hearts. He deserves a good, lucrative contract. If his agent convinces him to go solely for the highest bucks and another team offers him more money, I'll wave goodbye and wish him well. (Unless, of course, it's Dallas, San Antonio or LA.) Then I'd probably do whatever it took to keep him out of their hands.)
Sad truth is that SOME team (not the Spurs) WILL offer huge over pricedcontract to Pedja.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Coach said:
Agreed (except for the last sentence).
I said "probably." Circumstances would dictate the final decision, of course, but I would be hard-pressed to allow Peja to go to one of our Western rivals, not only because of the Western Conference but because he just might finally grow a set and shoot lights out against us just to prove what we'd missed out on.

Having that happen once or twice against an Eastern opponent might be bad, but thinking about facing it in the playoffs would be something I'd really have to weigh carefully.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
VF21 said:
Having that happen once or twice against an Eastern opponent might be bad, but thinking about facing it in the playoffs would be something I'd really have to weigh carefully.
Why? If we were going to move him youo could make an argument we should INTENTIONALLY force him to a playoff rival as a Trojan Horse. Peja Stojakovic coming back to bite us in the playoffs of all places worries me about as little as any star player in the NBA doing so. Mike Bibby would worry me. Not Peja. He's not the caliber of player and certainly not the caliber of competitor/playoff performer to worry about. Some guys are fierce and will live for the day they get a chance to stick it to you. Some are not. Peja is not.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You're probably right, but it would be something I would have to consider. In the end, I'd probably end up reaching the same conclusion you've reached but only because after all these years he isn't likely to change his stripes.

peja just have to keep shooting

i dont understand why so many kings fans diss peja.

-the man puts numbers on the board.

-without his perimeter threat.. the kings would have minimal inside game.

-we're too depended on his ability to score in the playoff. so its easy to point our finger and blame peja for the loss.

-pay him.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
Why? If we were going to move him youo could make an argument we should INTENTIONALLY force him to a playoff rival as a Trojan Horse. Peja Stojakovic coming back to bite us in the playoffs of all places worries me about as little as any star player in the NBA doing so. Mike Bibby would worry me. Not Peja. He's not the caliber of player and certainly not the caliber of competitor/playoff performer to worry about. Some guys are fierce and will live for the day they get a chance to stick it to you. Some are not. Peja is not.
Thats just palin mean... honest assment maybe, but mean none the less.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
raindome said:
i dont understand why so many kings fans diss peja.
Being realistic about what Peja can and cannot do is not "dissing" him. It's facing up to what's real and what's not.

-the man puts numbers on the board.
That's what he is supposed to do.

-without his perimeter threat.. the kings would have minimal inside game.
His "perimeter threat" was so sporatic this past year he wasn't even drawing double teams. That's not much help...

-we're too depended on his ability to score in the playoff. so its easy to point our finger and blame peja for the loss.
We should be able to depend upon his ability to score in the playoffs. Unfortunately, he's NEVER stepped up and met most of our expectations.

-pay him.
He'll get paid. The point is he has done nothing to warrant being paid the maximum...and yet his agent has already hinted that's what he'll expect.

He hasn't met our expectations; there's no reason to assume we'll meet his.

Peja is a nice guy, a great shooter and he's been a lot of fun to watch over the years. He's also disappointed me more than any other King because, apparently, I expected too much.

I - for one - have lowered my expectations and I assume a lot of other Kings fans have done the same.

And, just like the fans, Peja should have to be realistic. He's not the hottest commodity on the market. He won't even deserve to be the highest sought FA next year. That title would undoubtedly go to Ben Wallace...

As the article hinted, Pedja is max or near max contract player almost everywhere but in Sacramento. He will get a max. There is a number of teams in the NBA that would love to overpay Pedja as they view Pedja's s ability as something that can put them over the top (and presumably his shortcomings will not hurt them).

Case in point: McHale is already on the record as saying that he will pursue Pedja and that he believes that Pedja will attract max-contract interest. He did preface those comments with "OK, I'll bite..." (it was in an interview to Sebian newspaper and they were prodding him to say which free agents is he interested in 2006). Puppies already have Jaric and a Serbian assistant coach in place (maybe they are buying into theory that Pedja needs "environment" to succeed in, i.e. Uncle Vlade). If Puppies sign him to a 5 year max deal Kings can still match or counter with 6 year offer of their own.

It's really silly to try to set price for players based on whether they "deserve" it in the league where superstars are often paid set salary (Le Bron) and bunch of has-beens or never-beens are enjoying max contracts.

It is even sillier to knock down the value of your own players. I salute Maloofs for saying that Pedja is max contract player, whether they believe it or not. If anybody comes knocking at their door and asking for Pedja, the price has been set: You better be bringing a (super)star in trade offersor max contract in free agency.

Values of NBA players are relative. For example, if Cisco steps up and shows that he could replace Pedja's shooting in the line-up, Pedja would be expandable and nowhere near max. At the same time, there is a bunch of teams that will over-pay Pedja as they acutely lack what he brings to the table.

If I were Maloof, I would need to figure who's my coach in 2006/7 before calling Pedja's agent. If it is Rick or someone like Rick and who is not looking to blow the team up next year, then I _can_ offer Pedja max, run with it for a year (or two) and he will still be tradeable, barring serious injury. If it's Larry Brown or someone similar, Pedja walks....

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
bozzwell said:
As the article hinted, Pedja is max or near max contract player almost everywhere but in Sacramento. He will get a max. There is a number of teams in the NBA that would love to overpay Pedja as they view Pedja's s ability as something that can put them over the top (and presumably his shortcomings will not hurt them).
We must have read different articles. The one I read said:

He's not even 30, and you can't find a better shooter . Though playoff disappointments continue to define him in Sacramento, there isn't a team in the league that wouldn't want him hoisting threes. Does he have to be an All-Star and then some for the Kings to go max on the man?
It doesn't hint or imply that Peja is max or near max. It says, quite simply, that virtually every team in the league would like to have him. And it asks the question if he would have to be an "All-Star and then some" for the Kings to pay him the max?

IMHO that's a legitimate question. Is simply being an all-star (popularity contest) enough to warrant a maximum deal?

Case in point: McHale is already on the record as saying that he will pursue Pedja and that he believes that Pedja will attract max-contract interest. He did preface those comments with "OK, I'll bite..." (it was in an interview to Sebian newspaper and they were prodding him to say which free agents is he interested in 2006). Puppies already have Jaric and a Serbian assistant coach in place (maybe they are buying into theory that Pedja needs "environment" to succeed in, i.e. Uncle Vlade). If Puppies sign him to a 5 year max deal Kings can still match or counter with 6 year offer of their own.
Saying he thinks Peja will attract max-contract interest does NOT mean he will get a maximum contract. What would you expect McHale to say, especially after being prodded?

It's really silly to try to set price for players based on whether they "deserve" it in the league where superstars are often paid set salary (Le Bron) and bunch of has-beens or never-beens are enjoying max contracts.
It's also really silly IMHO NOT to at least consider something before deciding to throw a maximum contract at a player. Sorry, but what LeBron james gets or doesn't get wouldn't matter a whit to me in reaching an agreement about the SF for the Kings.

It is even sillier to knock down the value of your own players. I salute Maloofs for saying that Pedja is max contract player, whether they believe it or not. If anybody comes knocking at their door and asking for Pedja, the price has been set: You better be bringing a (super)star in trade offersor max contract in free agency.
Sorry, but the whole "Peja is a max contract player" is hyperbole which was uttered immediately after the Kings won an emotional game against the Lakers. I know this for a fact - I have discussed it with the Serbian journalist who had the quote on tape and even furnished me with a copy of it. After saying he was worth a max deal, Joe Maloof actually backtracked a bit, modifying his comment to say, "He's a great player. He'll get a really good deal. Really good." That's a bit different than clinging to the "Oh yeah, he's worth the maximum."

Values of NBA players are relative. For example, if Cisco steps up and shows that he could replace Pedja's shooting in the line-up, Pedja would be expandable and nowhere near max. At the same time, there is a bunch of teams that will over-pay Pedja as they acutely lack what he brings to the table.
Of course values are relative. And as far as the Kings are concerned, I personally believe that while Peja should receive a "really good deal," he is not worth the maximum.

If I were Maloof, I would need to figure who's my coach in 2006/7 before calling Pedja's agent. If it is Rick or someone like Rick and who is not looking to blow the team up next year, then I _can_ offer Pedja max, run with it for a year (or two) and he will still be tradeable, barring serious injury. If it's Larry Brown or someone similar, Pedja walks....
The amount offered to Peja IMHO should NOT be contingent upon who the coach is. And "looking to blow the team up next year" doesn't have much meaning any more, considering there are only four guys in training camp who will even know their way around the first day. (Meaning it's their first Kings training camp - to acknowledge the mid-season acquisitions of Skinner, Thomas and Williamson). The team has already pretty much been blown up...

If we offer Peja the max and he doesn't step up and prove he's worth it, all those people supposedly lining up to secure his services are going to change their phone numbers.

Very lucrative? Most certainly. Fair? That would be nice. Maximum? Sorry, but Peja has not shown over the time he has been here that he is, in fact, a franchise player and I personally don't think he's earned the right to the maximum deal from the Sacramento Kings.

Last edited:
K

Kings241

I think the Kings will keep Peja If he proves to be a better leader and scorer this season, but on the otherside if he plays like last year I could see a sign and trade over the offseason or midseason possibly for a player like Artest or Odom

VF21 said:
We must have read different articles. The one I read said:

It doesn't hint or imply that Peja is max or near max. It says, quite simply, that virtually every team in the league would like to have him. And it asks the question if he would have to be an "All-Star and then some" for the Kings to pay him the max?

IMHO that's a legitimate question. Is simply being an all-star (popularity contest) enough to warrant a maximum deal?

Saying he thinks Peja will attract max-contract interest does NOT mean he will get a maximum contract. What would you expect McHale to say, especially after being prodded?

It's also really silly IMHO NOT to at least consider something before deciding to throw a maximum contract at a player. Sorry, but what LeBron james gets or doesn't get wouldn't matter a whit to me in reaching an agreement about the SF for the Kings.

Sorry, but the whole "Peja is a max contract player" is hyperbole which was uttered immediately after the Kings won an emotional game against the Lakers. I know this for a fact - I have discussed it with the Serbian journalist who had the quote on tape and even furnished me with a copy of it. After saying he was worth a max deal, Joe Maloof actually backtracked a bit, modifying his comment to say, "He's a great player. He'll get a really good deal. Really good." That's a bit different than clinging to the "Oh yeah, he's worth the maximum."

Of course values are relative. And as far as the Kings are concerned, I personally believe that while Peja should receive a "really good deal," he is not worth the maximum.

The amount offered to Peja IMHO should NOT be contingent upon who the coach is. And "looking to blow the team up next year" doesn't have much meaning any more, considering there are only four guys in training camp who will even know their way around the first day. (Meaning it's their first Kings training camp - to acknowledge the mid-season acquisitions of Skinner, Thomas and Williamson). The team has already pretty much been blown up...

If we offer Peja the max and he doesn't step up and prove he's worth it, all those people supposedly lining up to secure his services are going to change their phone numbers.

Very lucrative? Most certainly. Fair? That would be nice. Maximum? Sorry, but Peja has not shown over the time he has been here that he is, in fact, a franchise player and I personally don't think he's earned the right to the maximum deal from the Sacramento Kings.
Let me clarify this, I believe that Pedja will get near or max deal from _some_team_. Now if you are saying that you don't believe he deserves max deal, I am fine with that. However, if you are saying that he want get near or max deal, I obviously have to dissagree, but time will tell in any case.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
SiliconBreakfast said:
This argument is beat. The new season is coming, let's all STFU and see what happens. ;)
This is a message board. People discuss things - sometimes forever. If you're not interested in a particular discussion, just move on.

The "STFU" stuff is inappropriate.

Bricklayer said:
I don't think that doesn't matter if Peja is fierce or not. It does matter if that team still can set up screens for him in the POs. Then we'll be sorry as much as facing Bibby.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
sono said:
I don't think that doesn't matter if Peja is fierce or not. It does matter if that team still can set up screens for him in the POs. Then we'll be sorry as much as facing Bibby.
No we won't. Not moreso than if it was any other good scorer out there. The whole "revenge" factor is overvalued anyway except amongst the greatest players, but even so Peja is just what he is -- a good scorer until it really matters. Even if he magically grows a pair for another team and maintains his level in the playoffs, he lacks the heart and fire to ever be a guy who plays over his head on big occassions. And that can't be fixed or changed no matter how many screens you run for him. All indications are that he's closer to having the heart of a mouse than a lion. If he ever gets to the point where he doesn't noticeably quail when the going gets tough, it will be a massive step forward for him, let alone any of this silliness about him "coming to get us."

Threatening a team, any team, with the reprocussions of facing Peja Stojakovic in the playoffs is good for a few hearty guffaws. He's a good player who can make his team better, but if you can beat his team in the regular season, you can most certainly beat his team in the playoffs.