VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/13259749p-14102245c.html

Bibby enjoys banter at his basketball camp

By Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Kids ask the silliest things.

Here's Mike Bibby, Kings star guard, standing in front of them Monday at his camp at Basketball Town in Rancho Cordova, ready to talk strategy and life lessons.

"So, like, what kind of car do you drive?''

"Uh, BMW."

"Uh, what kind of house to you live in, and is it, like, a mansion?"

Bibby laughs.

"Mike, what size shoe do you wear?"

"Uh, 12 and a half."

A moment later, Bibby conquered the field in a series of one-on-one shooting drills, breaking a sweat and joking. And that's about the extent of Bibby's basketball the rest of this summer. The veteran is coming off his best NBA season, averaging 19.6 points and 6.8 rebounds, and he has used the down time to recharge. He's having a house, maybe even a mansion, built in Phoenix, where he grew up and spends a good portion of his summers.

Bibby said he appreciates the down time with family but admitted that he's ready to play again. He's eager to lead a team that fell in the first round of the postseason for the first time since 1999-2000, the year before he arrived. And he knows all hands have to improve on defense, his included.

"There aren't many good players in the NBA you can guard one-on-one, unless you're a great defender, so we need more help defense," Bibby said. "We all know that."

As for what the Kings need this summer via trade or free agency or both, Bibby said he has the utmost faith in Geoff Petrie, the Kings' president of basketball operations.

"Geoff will work something out," Bibby said. "He'll make something happen. He always does."

The Bee's Joe Davidson can be reached at (916) 321-1280 or jdavidson@sacbee.com.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gee, Mike, are you sure you're just not totally exhausted? Should you be rushing back to play more basketball so soon?

;)

Nice to hear Bibby's thinking about Defence. Hopefully its a sign that hes been working on his, and that hes going to try and lead the team in that way. Guess we will see.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
SlimKid15 said:
Nice to hear Bibby's thinking about Defence. Hopefully its a sign that hes been working on his, and that hes going to try and lead the team in that way. Guess we will see.
Thinking about it yes, but I'm not sure "There aren't many good players in the NBA you can guard one-on-one, unless you're a great defender, so we need more help defense." is much of a call to arms. In fact to a cynic (not a pollyanna like me obviously) that might even appear to be Mike saying "see, its not my fault i can;t guard guys, everybody else has to help".

Bricklayer said:
Thinking about it yes, but I'm not sure "There aren't many good players in the NBA you can guard one-on-one, unless you're a great defender, so we need more help defense." is much of a call to arms. In fact to a cynic (not a pollyanna like me obviously) that might even appear to be Mike saying "see, its not my fault i can;t guard guys, everybody else has to help".

LoL...Goood point. Maybe hes hoping the nba will let teams start using 6 guys on defence since one on one aint working....6 on 5 on D might help a little.

VF21 said:
The veteran is coming off his best NBA season, averaging 19.6 points and 6.8 rebounds
he may be soft on defense, but that's damn impressive. of course, if some of the other kings rebounded the ball better, mike wouldnt have to average nearly 7 a game.

Padrino said:
he may be soft on defense, but that's damn impressive. of course, if some of the other kings rebounded the ball better, mike wouldnt have to average nearly 7 a game.
I acually think thats supposed to be assists not rebounds. I think he averaged around 4 boards for the season...which still aint bad for a point gaurd.

Bricklayer said:
19.6pts 4.2rebs 6.8ast

Really do wish the Bee would hire at least one fact checker.
lol

i thought that seemed a little high. 4.2 is still impressive, but, damn...no wonder kings fans become so loyal to their players. the bee gives us a false image of how good they really are. :D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bricklayer said:
19.6pts 4.2rebs 6.8ast

Really do wish the Bee would hire at least one fact checker.
I think the last legitimate fact checker for the Sports section of the Bee left some time ago, faced with the choice of either leaving or continuing to watch as his corrections to a certain columnist's writings were "uncorrected" prior to publication.

Bricklayer said:
That or maybe b/c its true? The lack of help defense killed the Kings last year, and by recently reviewing tape of some games last season it is painfully obvious.

VF21 said:
I think the last legitimate fact checker for the Sports section of the Bee left some time ago, faced with the choice of either leaving or continuing to watch as his corrections to a certain columnist's writings were "uncorrected" prior to publication.

Is that the ghost of the fact checker come back to haunt the KingsFans boards?

SacTownKid said:
That or maybe b/c its true? The lack of help defense killed the Kings last year, and by recently reviewing tape of some games last season it is painfully obvious.
Very true.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kings113 said:
Peja was injured like 3 or 4 times, and can't jump that high. He did pick it up after Webb left though, getting five to seven boards a lot.
:confused:

Peja can jump high enough... the difference is that Mike doesn't pointedly AVOID the ball, while Peja at times seems as though he's actually afraid a rebound might ruin his nails or something.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Kings113 said:
Peja was injured like 3 or 4 times, and can't jump that high. He did pick it up after Webb left though, getting five to seven boards a lot.
Peja averaged a whopping 4.5rebs after Webber left (compared to 4.3 for the season). Its got almost nothing at all to do with his legs, and everything to do with the empty cavity on the left side of his chest.

Bricklayer said:
Peja averaged a whopping 4.5rebs after Webber left (compared to 4.3 for the season). Its got almost nothing at all to do with his legs, and everything to do with the empty cavity on the left side of his chest.
oooooh.....snap! we'll see if a contract year is any different.

I go to Mike Bibby camp and I heard those questions they were from the little kids. Matt Barnes is there everyday playin with our coaches and former NBA and present over seas players.