Barnes and Boston

IMO, the smart way Monte could do a Boston trade with Barnes is to do a 3 team trade which would unload Barnes and CoJo and take back at least Marcus Smart from Boston.
This way Luke will get a "real" defensive guard that he thinks "in his dream" is CoJo. And maybe we get all-in for Woodard at SF spot with end game five of Holmes, Bags/Buddy, Smart, Hali, Fox

Report: Widespread belief Celtics will trade for Harrison Barnes (msn.com)

Yardbarker artice:
How might a Harrison Barnes trade look?
Boston has a league-record $28.5 million trade exception stemming from the Gordon Hayward sign-and-trade with the Charlotte Hornets. It could simply use that exception, enticing the Kings with a young player and huge cap savings moving forward. That seems to be the most-realistic scenario.

• Celtics get: Harrison Barnes
  • Kings get: Robert Williams, future second-round pick
Again, this would help Sacramento save a nice amount of cash moving forward — enabling it to be active in free agency over the next couple summers. Said savings would amount to $34-plus million over the next two seasons.

However, there’s another scenario in play that suggests the Kings will look for real assets while Boston saves the above-mentioned trade exception for the summer.

Harrison Barnes-to-Celtics trade scenario
  • Kings get: Marcus Smart, Grant Williams, Jeff Teague, future second-round pick
Any rumors involving a deal that doesn’t include the trade exception would likely force them to move off defensive stalwart Marcus Smart. It’s the name of the game with these Celtics hard-capped.

As for the Kings, they could turn around and flip Smart to a contending team for a first-round pick. Acquiring a first-rounder, second-rounder and young big in Grant Williams would be a coup.

Jkbiker:
If Monte does not get at least one 1st rounder along with a young player, I would turn Celtics down

Report: Widespread belief Celtics will trade for Harrison Barnes (msn.com)

Yardbarker artice:
How might a Harrison Barnes trade look?
Boston has a league-record $28.5 million trade exception stemming from the Gordon Hayward sign-and-trade with the Charlotte Hornets. It could simply use that exception, enticing the Kings with a young player and huge cap savings moving forward. That seems to be the most-realistic scenario.

• Kings get: Robert Williams, future second-round pick
Again, this would help Sacramento save a nice amount of cash moving forward — enabling it to be active in free agency over the next couple summers. Said savings would amount to $34-plus million over the next two seasons.

However, there’s another scenario in play that suggests the Kings will look for real assets while Boston saves the above-mentioned trade exception for the summer.

Harrison Barnes-to-Celtics trade scenario
  • Kings get: Marcus Smart, Grant Williams, Jeff Teague, future second-round pick
Any rumors involving a deal that doesn’t include the trade exception would likely force them to move off defensive stalwart Marcus Smart. It’s the name of the game with these Celtics hard-capped.

As for the Kings, they could turn around and flip Smart to a contending team for a first-round pick. Acquiring a first-rounder, second-rounder and young big in Grant Williams would be a coup.

Jkbiker:
If Monte does not get at least one 1st rounder along with a young player, I would turn Celtics down
I don't like those for the Kings. Let Boston do the flipping of Smart. Barnes isn't a throwaway player. Would rather just keep him for those exchanges.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm not keen on moving Barnes to open up room, we're not getting a better player.
People seem to think we're desperate to save money, so we can spend it on...a player that won't be as good as Barnes. Let's be honest. He's one of the very few "hits" we've had in free agency, though he was technically our own player. We aren't going to magically use the $20M per year we save on Barnes to sign anybody better.

So, no, I wouldn't touch a trade of Barnes for a second-round pick with a ten-foot pole, and I have no idea why Boston dummies on the internet think the Kings would do that to help their team.

If Boston is calling ME and asking about Barnes, the open to keep me from hanging up is Robert Williams + 1st or Aaron Nesmith + 1st + 1st swap or two 1sts. One 2nd doesn't remotely cut it.

People seem to think we're desperate to save money, so we can spend it on...a player that won't be as good as Barnes. Let's be honest. He's one of the very few "hits" we've had in free agency, though he was technically our own player. We aren't going to magically use the $20M per year we save on Barnes to sign anybody better.

So, no, I wouldn't touch a trade of Barnes for a second-round pick with a ten-foot pole, and I have no idea why Boston dummies on the internet think the Kings would do that to help their team.

If Boston is calling ME and asking about Barnes, the open to keep me from hanging up is Robert Williams + 1st or Aaron Nesmith + 1st + 1st swap or two 1sts. One 2nd doesn't remotely cut it.
This about sums it up.

Give us Robert Williams + Nesmith and I'd be good with that. Don't even need a 1st round pick.
Nah, they've tanked their own young guys even though they've drafted well. Ainge should have to suffer the consequences. If I'm Monte I dangle the idea that the Kings could always get a good coach and rise up the ranks of decent teams. Take it or leave it. And truthfully I'd probably rather swap Langford for Nesmith. There's some serious potential with Langford.

Looking at how salaries keep rising I think even Buddy is going to look pretty good midway through his contract unless his play falls off a cliff. Barnes is a relative bargain that we could not replace with a second rounder or with the money we save but that line is slightly blurred because many people have a hard time wrapping their heads around modern NBA salaries.

Anyways it seems people think we hired an absolute moron to GM this team because I don't even think the two headed moron that preceded Vlade is that dumb.

Nah, they've tanked their own young guys even though they've drafted well. Ainge should have to suffer the consequences. If I'm Monte I dangle the idea that the Kings could always get a good coach and rise up the ranks of decent teams. Take it or leave it. And truthfully I'd probably rather swap Langford for Nesmith. There's some serious potential with Langford.
Langford is absolutely the guy. Langford + 20211st. And I’m a Nesmith fan, think he’ll be good— before the Haliburton miracle I was hype to get Nesmith, S. Bay or Achiuwa. But this Langford dude screams excellence to me. Smart, capable defender right now that would rise the tide competitively amongst these young guys defensively. The team sorely needs skilled defenders/passers and he’s both. He has exceptional athleticism but he controls/contains it intelligently. I get it with the injuries but worth the risk imo.
1st post but I’ve been reading along here for a few years now. Much love to y’all for the education and entertainment

That's been my thought for an asking price.

Nesmith and a 1st or Nesmith and Williams.

The funny part is that Ainge built his reputation on fleecing other teams in trade but now he's potentially on the hot seat and might overpay to help the Celtics make a playoff run this year.

Nesmith, Williams and a 2021 1st for Barnes & Bjelica?

That's been my thought for an asking price.

Nesmith and a 1st or Nesmith and Williams.

The funny part is that Ainge built his reputation on fleecing other teams in trade but now he's potentially on the hot seat and might overpay to help the Celtics make a playoff run this year.

Nesmith, Williams and a 2021 1st for Barnes & Bjelica?
I like but am thinking TT would have to come back or Boston would have to send salary out some other way because of the hard cap.

I like but am thinking TT would have to come back or Boston would have to send salary out some other way because of the hard cap.
I think with their TPE they can take Barnes for the TPE and picks and then do a second trade involving Bjelica and reasonably priced players without having to take back their filth. I also think they'd be left over with ~7-8 million of TPE if they wanted to make another move.

I think with their TPE they can take Barnes for the TPE and picks and then do a second trade involving Bjelica and reasonably priced players without having to take back their filth. I also think they'd be left over with ~7-8 million of TPE if they wanted to make another move.
When they used the mid-level exception on Tristan Thompson they became hard capped. They can use the TPE for Barnes but I am thinking Bjelica puts them over the hard cap.

When they used the mid-level exception on Tristan Thompson they became hard capped. They can use the TPE for Barnes but I am thinking Bjelica puts them over the hard cap.
I see that Williams is only making 2.4 so that would be about a $1million difference, could they put in a Jeff Teague or similar?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The Celtics can absorb basically a net $22M before hitting their hard cap. Barnes is $22.2M, so in a deal where they also get Bjelica they'd have to send back about $7.4M (as a hand-wavy number). Nesmith and Robert Williams are about $5.5M so they would have to send another piece. And it looks like it would have to be either Langford or Grant Williams to get under the hard cap, their other "cheap" players don't quite cut it.

There are some intriguing trade possibilities with Boston for Barnes, but the more I ponder the more I hope he remains a King. This unless he welcomes the move.

Barnes brings a lot to the team and community and is not exactly ancient. There are a handful of players I would much prefer trade to potentially improve this team.

Last edited:

I'd even go so far as to say, the reason all this news about Barnes' interest around the league coming out is because of the Celtics/Ainge's unwillingness to put together a package to satisfy McNair. It almost feels like we are telling the C, "hey we got other suitors too"

I dont think the Kings and Celtics are good trade partners. I don't think Barnes as a 4th option on the Celtics moves the needle all that much. I also think at the end of the day you can get a young player and pick for Barnes at next years deadline. Kings should hold onto Barnes unless they get a deal they cant refuse

gunks

Hall of Famer
If we trade our starting SF (took forever for us to get one) for a future 2nd and cap relief
Im gonna puke!
Barnes is young enough to fit with the core too. Honestly, he’s the type of player we want to keep around if McNair can flip this rebuild with a good draft, new coach, and solid FA signings.

I’m not against trading Barnes if the right deal comes along, but all these Boston deals are hot garbage. Trading him just to trade him would be a Vlade move.

Langford is absolutely the guy. Langford + 20211st. And I’m a Nesmith fan, think he’ll be good— before the Haliburton miracle I was hype to get Nesmith, S. Bay or Achiuwa. But this Langford dude screams excellence to me. Smart, capable defender right now that would rise the tide competitively amongst these young guys defensively. The team sorely needs skilled defenders/passers and he’s both. He has exceptional athleticism but he controls/contains it intelligently. I get it with the injuries but worth the risk imo.
1st post but I’ve been reading along here for a few years now. Much love to y’all for the education and entertainment
I'm not sold, there's a legit chance he damaged goods. I would need Nesmith & Langford & lightly protected 1st.

I dont think the Kings and Celtics are good trade partners. I don't think Barnes as a 4th option on the Celtics moves the needle all that much. I also think at the end of the day you can get a young player and pick for Barnes at next years deadline. Kings should hold onto Barnes unless they get a deal they cant refuse
The issue for the C's is he fits their system perfectly and none of the other options likely move the needle much either if it's based on talent vs. weaknesses. With the small ball trio formed you're talking about unreal levels of versatility. Also, teams won't be beating down the door of the C's with the packages they can offer. I would think. Barnes sticking with Sac wouldn't bother me in the slightest since he can do a little bit of everything and will always fit but if he goes I as a fan of his I hope it is Boston. I think he'd bring them up a level more than the other names rumored. They'd pretty much have the exact type of team I was hoping the Kings were building towards but they are apparently too stupid to use their own 5 man advanced metrics as a guideline.

Plus Celtics might be talking to San Antonio about Aldridge, Ainge will look at Aldridge and Barnes and will make bargain offers to both
hoping to steal one of them for cheap

Hope its not us
I find it funny with them going after no defense bigs that will take a chunk of their offensive system with them. Players like Vuc will break their chemistry and Aldridge isn't moving anything. Not for very long at least. Ainge has always been pretty steadfast with league trends and year after year players bigs like that that aren't a teams superstar hit the bench in the crunch so they can match up with the real contenders.