Bagley.

Len and Tolliver are not playoff pieces or win now moves. Pretty sure we all know that.
I think you're missing the point. They're backup band aids. The point is, if you know Bags and Holmes are going to be out for an extended period of time before the trade deadline and you're already 10 games out of the 8th spot, why wouldn't you acquire more assets by punting Bogi and Bjelly. You should blow it up. Why hold on to them, acquire backups, and try to thread the needle? Only one explanation: self interest.

I think you're missing the point. They're backup band aids. The point is, if you know Bags and Holmes are going to be out for an extended period of time before the trade deadline and you're already 10 games out of the 8th spot, why wouldn't you acquire more assets by punting Bogi and Bjelly. You should blow it up. Why hold on to them, acquire backups, and try to thread the needle? Only one explanation: self interest.
This was salary cap and roster space maneuvers.

But if you think the team should blow it up, then Bogi and Bjelica is not where you start. There are a few other pieces that would bring more returns.

This was salary cap and roster space maneuvers.

But if you think the team should blow it up, then Bogi and Bjelica is not where you start. There are a few other pieces that would bring more returns.
Bogi and Bjelly were in high demand at the deadline. Extremely high demand.

But I'll say this, none of what was done surprised me. It's how Vlade operates. He has been trying to thread the needle since day one. A tiger can't change his stripes. It's time for new leadership.

More sad than LOL... Bagley is one of us. I say we build him up. But that's just me.

FYI - I have a notepad of all the user names of the "sky is falling" crowd. It's amazing how different people react to different situations. I choose to be positive and build people up.... But again, that is just me.
Always a good idea to label people without much nuance.
I hope someone has a notebook for the blind optimists, so we can build up two camps. That is the best and simplest manner to deal with such matters. But that’s just me.

Always a good idea to label people without much nuance.
I hope someone has a notebook for the blind optimists, so we can build up two camps. That is the best and simplest manner to deal with such matters. But that’s just me.
blind optimists! positive people! yikes!!! LOL... like we both said. you do you and I'll do me. Thanks for the reply!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Yet he fails to trade Bogi and Bjelly for assets. Combined, both would've brought back two first. Why acquire future assets when you could win now to save your job, right?
I don't know, maybe because we see Bogi and Bjelica as...wait for it...part of our future core? Bogi (RFA, we can match any offer) and Bjelica (team option) ARE future assets, and pretty darn good ones. Yeah, let's trade them and roll the dice on some draft picks so we can spend four MORE years in a rebuild. For the love of Slamson, I can't even.

Two plausible explanations. Incompetence from the training staff. Or it’s hard to give a timetable for an issue that is between the ears (Markelle Fultz 2.0). There could be others, of course, but, for now, the above two are just as plausible as others.
The second isn’t plausible. He’s been seen in a walking boot. You don’t put that on unless you have to. Aside from that fact, when has Bagley shown any kind of hesitation on the court (aside from going right)? He’s clearly not afraid to play and is confident in his abilities.

I don't know, maybe because we see Bogi and Bjelica as...wait for it...part of our future core? Bogi (RFA, we can match any offer) and Bjelica (team option) ARE future assets, and pretty darn good ones. Yeah, let's trade them and roll the dice on some draft picks so we can spend four MORE years in a rebuild. For the love of Slamson, I can't even.
The second isn’t plausible. He’s been seen in a walking boot. You don’t put that on unless you have to. Aside from that fact, when has Bagley shown any kind of hesitation on the court (aside from going right)? He’s clearly not afraid to play and is confident in his abilities.
Trade them for picks that will be worse players than you already have?
They could've traded Bogi and then signed him to a contract in the off season. Force the other team to match or pay up for him more than they're comfortable. Creativity, but Vlade and this FO doesn't do creative things. Everything is linear--forward or backwards. Mostly backwards.

Bags being in a walking boot doesn't mean its mandatory. Plenty of QBs wear knee braces when they are no longer needed. It could be mental just as much as it is mandatory. Or it could be an excuse.

Acquiring extra picks > another dead end season, especially when they could sign Bogi in the offseason (and force his new team to match).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
They could've traded Bogi and then signed him to a contract in the off season. Force the other team to match or pay up for him more than they're comfortable. Creativity, but Vlade and this FO doesn't do creative things. Everything is linear--forward or backwards. Mostly backwards.

Bags being in a walking boot doesn't mean its mandatory. Plenty of QBs wear knee braces when they are no longer needed. It could be mental just as much as it is mandatory. Or it could be an excuse.

Acquiring extra picks > another dead end season, especially when they could sign Bogi in the offseason (and force his new team to match).

And how often does that work out?? Creativity or stupidity?

Capt. Factorial

Staff member

The salary cap doesn't work that way. We can't go over the salary cap to sign another team's players - and if we trade Bogi he's another team's player. Your plan wouldn't work. It was too clever by half.

The salary cap doesn't work that way. We can't go over the salary cap to sign another team's players - and if we trade Bogi he's another team's player. Your plan wouldn't work. It was too clever by half.
Who said anything about going over the cap? I wouldn’t want Bogs beyond $15m per yr. Give him an offer in that range, if the other team matches, so be it.

Your assumption is the Kong’s are going to give him $18 to $20m, which would be suicide.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Who said anything about going over the cap? I wouldn’t want Bogs beyond $15m per yr. Give him an offer in that range, if the other team matches, so be it.

Your assumption is the Kong’s are going to give him $18 to $20m, which would be suicide.
And your creative "solution" was without merit. What you would give Bogs is irrelevant.

He’s a second round pick who is eligible for an extension next year, with a helicopter father hellbent on making sure his son gets ample opportunity, and has never shown any inclination ever of being afraid to shoot the ball or play heavy minutes.

You really believe he is doing this as an excuse? Like you actually believe that?

And your creative "solution" was without merit. What you would give Bogs is irrelevant.
How is it without merit? I said from the jump that if the other team matches, so be it. The Kings would get a first out of it. If the Kings set the market at $15m for Bogs, he could accept it or shop it with his team or with others. If he accepts it, his team can either match it or let him walk. As-is, the Kings are now looking at paying him $18 to $20m per year without that extra pick. And given Vlade’s propensity for self bidding, it may end up being $22m per year.

It’s time for new leadership.

He’s a second round pick who is eligible for an extension next year, with a helicopter father hellbent on making sure his son gets ample opportunity, and has never shown any inclination ever of being afraid to shoot the ball or play heavy minutes.

You really believe he is doing this as an excuse? Like you actually believe that?
Yes, I do. I’ve said for over a month or so now that he’s not going to play unless he’s 100%.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
If you want to trade Bogi away and then offer him a contract, you have to have cap space. We won't have $15M of cap space. We'll probably have about $9M.

Interesting that you know my assumptions when I haven't stated them.

There is a big difference between having a player's RFA rights and trying to sign another team's RFA. If we trade Bogi, and then want him back as another team's RFA, then we probably have to find a way to clear the cap space to offer $18-$20M, because otherwise his own team (who, in your scenario, has given up a first-round pick for him and obviously wants him around) will just match. We've got to blow them out of the water to get him. On the other hand, if WE hold the RFA rights, we don't have to offer anything. We wait for another team's contract offer to come in. If they offer $20M, we let him go. If they offer $12M, we match and we don't have to maneuver around the cap to do so.

If you want to trade Bogi away and then offer him a contract, you have to have cap space. We won't have $15M of cap space. We'll probably have about $9M.

Interesting that you know my assumptions when I haven't stated them.

There is a big difference between having a player's RFA rights and trying to sign another team's RFA. If we trade Bogi, and then want him back as another team's RFA, then we probably have to find a way to clear the cap space to offer $18-$20M, because otherwise his own team (who, in your scenario, has given up a first-round pick for him and obviously wants him around) will just match. We've got to blow them out of the water to get him. On the other hand, if WE hold the RFA rights, we don't have to offer anything. We wait for another team's contract offer to come in. If they offer $20M, we let him go. If they offer $12M, we match and we don't have to maneuver around the cap to do so.

From the Athletic today: https://theathletic.com/1599459/202...0-free-agency-market-picture-becomes-clearer/

“Sacramento will have significant room (about $15M, pending the exact landing spot of its first-round pick) if the Kings don’t match an offer sheet to Bogdanovic and Jabari Parker declines his $6,500,000 player option. Back in the real world, neither of those things are likely, much less both at the same time. In the wake of the Dewayne Dedmon trade, the Kings can pay through the nose to keep Bogie and still use their full exception.”

The Kings, had they chosen to, could’ve traded both Bogs n Bjelly, taken someone other than Parker and had at a minimum $15m to chase Bogs. They didn’t because Vlade knows he’s toast if the team ends the season ten games behind the 8th spot.

Last edited:

Has a team ever traded a player then signed them back in the off season? I can't ever remember that happening.

Amidst the three card monty injury game that the training staff/front office/ownership is playing is the fact that they are leaving Bagley out to dry. They are allowing Bagley to take the heat as a cover for the terrible training staff and front office that we have. This organization is run by cowards. I guess Bagley feels compelled to play along since his best chance at a max extension is through this clown show front office, but what a terrible position to put the young man in. They should be ashamed, but obviously they have no shame.

Amidst the three card monty injury game that the training staff/front office/ownership is playing is the fact that they are leaving Bagley out to dry. They are allowing Bagley to take the heat as a cover for the terrible training staff and front office that we have. This organization is run by cowards. I guess Bagley feels compelled to play along since his best chance at a max extension is through this clown show front office, but what a terrible position to put the young man in. They should be ashamed, but obviously they have no shame.
Bagley isn't necessarily playing along. He has no leverage, so he is handcuffed.

If he were to criticize the training staff or imply the team was doing him wrong in some way, imagine the reaction he would get from media and fans. All he can do is keep his head down.

Last edited: