B92 reports Pedja will leave the Kings by Feb 15th

Status
Not open for further replies.
B92 reported today from "sources close to Pedja Stojakovic" that there is absolutely NO chance that Pedja will sign a new contract with the Kings and he is expecting to be traded before the deadline on Feb. 15.

www.b92.net/sport (in Serbian)

sloter said:
B92 reported today from "sources close to Pedja Stojakovic" that there is absolutely NO chance that Pedja will sign a new contract with the Kings and he is expecting to be traded before the deadline on Feb. 15.

www.b92.net/sport (in Serbian)
His contract doesn't expire for 2 years. He can 'expect' all he wants, I don't see it happening, not unless a deal comes up that improves the Kings. Petrie isn't about making Peja happy, he's about building a winning team.
Peja might want to consider keeping his mouth shut on this issue, what's he going to do if the fans turn on him, perhaps booing him? Curl up in the fetal position on the court and refuse to play?

B92 basically copied a quote from P.Vecsey's piece in NYP two days ago, this is nothing that came from a B92 source close to Pedja...
Vecsey's story
http://www.nypost.com/sports/30045.htm

FYI: By all accounts, no sincere trade talk re: Vince and Peja has taken place. Still, a Peja confidant insists his friend will be out of Sacramento by Feb. 15. If that doesn't happen, for whatever it's worth (Stojakovic has three years remaining on his contract), "the 27-year-old Peja will not re-sign with the Kings, no matter what."

and the odd thing is, Vecsey was actually wrong on Pedja's contract, although the contract has a player option for 06-07...Peja confidant ? Could it be we're talking David Bauman here ?

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap.php

Samething here from realgm.com

Peja Expects to be out of Sacramento by Trade Deadline

According to a source close to Peja Stojakovic, there is no way that he will resign with the Kings when his contract expires, but he expects to be traded by the February 15th deadline.

There has been talk of a possible trade scenario where Peja would be exchanged for Vince Carter, but that appears increasingly unlikely, as Carter's value is at an all-time low.

Other trade reports involving Stojakovic have involved Ron Artest. Artest is the reigning defensive player of the year and would sure up a suspect Sacramento defense. Both the Pacers and Kings have denied discussing such a deal.

Stojakovic has reported to camp, but has not backed down from his interest in playing for a new team. Sacramento appears to be taking a wait-and-see approach, hoping that things can be resolved before they dismantle a team that has been very close to reaching the NBA Finals.

Peja might want to consider keeping his mouth shut on this issue, what's he going to do if the fans turn on him, perhaps booing him? Curl up in the fetal position on the court and refuse to play?
Well, that's one possibility. The far more likely answer is "nothing"...

or he could always make vague statements insulting the integrity of the fans, or consider halting charity projects for people too poor to possibly be in attendance.

Last edited:
Yes, but it's becoming more and more interesting to see these kind of news "casually" being thrown around the web from time to time.
This, in my opinion, could translate as pure pressure on the large part of the Kings community, namely management and owners. And one more thing, this kind of public exposure is in no way not good PR stuff for a Pedja's record. Either Pedja for some reason really wants out of Sacramento, which is pretty hard to believe having in mind he's looking for the contract extension next summer, or he's really working on getting Webber out of the frame. Back when the trade-demand first broke out, Pejda and Bauman said on several occasions, he doesn't care where Kings would trade him. Which makes no sense at all. You don't change teams in what definitely is your most important NBA season. Where's the logic in that? And then, the "I-don't-care-which-team" argument which is uterlly apsurd.
Pedja is looking at the max. contract come summer 2005. You don't look to leave the place where you've become an All-Star, MVP runner-up caring less for the team you'd eventually end up with and all that in the season where you're expecting contract extension. These are very serious situations, with little if any maneuvering place for improvisation...it makes no sense at all.

I don't see how Peja could *expect* to be out. The only way he gets traded away from the Kings right now is if Management decides it. He doesn't have to resign with the Kings at this point. They don't have to deal with that till summer of '05 or '06. He is under a contract right now at this point. No resigning has to be done. He HAS to play if the Kings don't trade him.

THe only question I have is I thought that his contract was 2 more years with an option of a third?? Which means he's under contract till summer of '06. Or is it that he has one more year on his contract with an option of 2 more?

He is signed for two more years, but the contract, as I said, has a "player-option" clause which means Pedja can on his own extend current contract for one more year...
About resigning, after this season, Pedja will have only one more year on his current contract, which means that, if no extension is signed during the summer of 2005, Pedja will play his final year as a free agent and would be available to other teams on free market come summer 2006. It is standard politics nowadays to sign extensions (we're talking about practically new contracts here) year before your contract expires...

Last edited:
Monkeyman - nice.

Personally, I don't care how white Webber's teeth are or how cute his smile is, I judge him by his actions and words. Perhaps it's the male-female barrier. Skanky waitresses at Hooters and charming salesmen with greasy hair can be tough to interpret.

Publicly speaking about how great you are, all the nice things you plan to do, how 'tough' you are (sure bud), seem to be enough to convince people nowadays.

Peja never says anything. For all we know, he could be working on a cure for AIDS.

Penalizing someone for not publicly boasting about their greatness (and not backing it up may I add) is weak.

Why would someone bring up Webber in the first place, when we were discussing Peja?

Group 7 is a wonderful organization which benefits the children of his native country. I commend him for that. Also for joining in on the Salvation Armies coat drive for kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.